• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where your save file got corrupted/lost

Podge293

Far cry 3. I had to be at least half way through the game when it happened. I gave up on it. It'll forever remain incomplete

One time I was playing Eternal Darkness when I went to save and it was just gone! I got so pissed i immediately turned off the system and threw the game and memory card out.

Lost my saves for both Phantasy Star IV and Dragon Quest V near the end of the game. Coincidentally, two of the best JRPGs I ever played, irrespective of the fact that I never completed them.

dh4niel

I can't specifically remember what game it was but there were a few first party Game Cube games where saving to a third party memory card would corrupt the save. Annoying as hell.

One time, my GameCube memory card became corrupted. I lost a lot of game saves there. I rented a lot of games too, so there were a lot of saves I was never getting back. Sad times.

Dead Island on Xbox 360. Didn't like the game anyway but it was still a shame since me and my coop partner were almost through the game before it happened.

COOLSKELETON95

Neo Member
i lost all my saves i had on a 1000 block gamecube memory card when my card died

This - I imported the official 1019 block Gamecube memory card because I figured it would be a great amount of space for saving Gamecube games.

Shame the whole lot of them went loco and corrupted.

Also lost my Pokémon Silver save thanks to the whole battery thing.

Anoxida

Baldurs gate 2. Had 85 hours played. I was on chapter 6. I put in a new SSD and formated the old HDD. Thought I had made a usb copy on my save but nope. That one stinged. Was about 3 years ago. Im on chapter 5 now on a new playthrough but having trouble motivating myself to continue. It still pisses me off.

After upgrading to the ps4 pro, i proceeded to download all the saves that upload to PS PLUS.

So i load FFX HD and what. the. fuck. nothing. 143 hours of FFX gone.

Mugy

Back in the day i had a 8MB Nintendo Gamecube memory card. I erased all my files to play MK: Deception (the game took the entire memory card space).

After i played and unlocked everything...my file got corrupted. Since then i never played the game again.

sprinkles

Final Fantasy 6 Android version. Lost the save around 10 hours in shortly before the Opera when the screen of my Nexus 5 died. I did a factory restore to see if that helped but did not think of losing saves.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Lost
- 100+ hours of Final Fantasy X
- 50+ hours of Dragon Warrior VII
- 70+ hours of Star Ocean 3
- Everything unlocked in RE2
and my progress in last year's FF5 Four Job Fiesta.

Plenty of other stuff that was on the same memory cards as those games, but these are the ones that hurt the most.

MaddenNFL64

Fallout 4. 500 hours in, after doing all quests/side quests/everything for the main game, did the first dlc, then when the second dlc launched my saves were corrupted. My dumb ass deleted all the backup saves I had for some reason, and I only had one main save, and a quick save which were both corrupted. I cried a bit inside, mulled over playing again, then deleted the game from my hard drive.

Shai-Tan

Banned
lost all my PS2 saves when the OG 60gb PS3 went YLOD including many RPG games. Unsuccessfully tried tricks to get it running one last time to save them on to a memory stick.

I was about 3/4 in Red Dead Redemption when my ps3 decided to do an Xbox360 on me and died. Wasn't a member of psplus back then so I lost the save.
Never played it again...

I lost my 150 hour Skyrim save with the death of an SSD, the game was actually installed on a RAID array but of course the save data defaults to a directory on C:

The other instance that springs to mind is a third party ps1 memory card failing on the third disc of ffix, I'm still yet to finish that game.

hurzelein

Telltale walking dead season one.. near the end. Did not want to play through it all again. Which means I never went on to the other seasons as well.

Same here, I think it was at the end of the 4th of five episodes. It was a bug that deleted or corrupted the savefile, no solution. They patched it very shortly after. I tried to go back but couldn't stand playing the events again and was afraid I could make a different descision and have a different group composition etc. Still nags me to this day, because the game was so awesome and I never saw and probably will never see its ending. Don't want to watch it on youtube either.

Rayman 2. Couldn't beat the final boss on my first or second try, so I got frustrated and quit. The next day, my little brother decided to play the game for the first time. Deleted my file. 9 year old me was so damn mad. Still haven't finished the game.

Sillverrr

Final Fantasy XII, PS2. Entirely my fault. I messed around with some kind of Action Replay Max, and erased my memory card. Lost too much progress to restart. Thankfully, the definitive edition of this game launches in July!

AC: Black Flag. I *thought* my saves were being stored in the cloud. Apparently, Ubisoft decided this feature was unnecessary. Arseholes. Looking back, one Assassin's Creed game is the same as the next anyway, and not worth my time.

Dervius

Around 30 hours in to Dragons Dogma, an update messed with my save and managed to overwrite it.

Had to start from scratch.

Took a while to get back into rhat...

Jacqli

One of my VMUs for Dreamcast is completely dead, so goodbye to my many save datas (all characters unlocked in Spawn, Shenmue 1 completed, etc.). It is official, with the screen and I have played there some minigames, which makes everything even harder to digest.

ffvorax

FFVIII... my memory card died... I was almost at the end of the game, didn't get everything but still... I think was like 60h more or less.

I had to start it all over again. Nice thing is I liked the gameplay of FFVIII (still I do), so I could just skip the story... and play again some more Triple Triad! (I was a kid, I was happy anyway to start it again... lol)

deadfolk

Mass Effect 3.

Save carried over from the first and then the second game. Probably 20 or so hours into 3.

So yeah. Christ knows how many hours total lost.

Menome

Baldur's Gate II

Over 150 hours in.

This happened in 2002. I'm only just mustering up the will to go back through it all again this year.

I lost a 50+ hour save on FF7 when my brother "pretended" to delete my save as a joke and actually did it. I had to leave it a month before I could restart playing from the start.

First time that I ever lost major progress was back in the late 1990s on the PS1. I was literally inserting the last PAL key card in the my first play through of "Metal Gear Solid" when I experienced a power outage. Ironically, it was several days before my birthday and I was expecting to receive a memory card as a gift. As a result of the incident, I was able to request it earlier than planned, but I'll never forget the initial sorrow of having to regain ground after being so close to the finale. Thankfully, it's my favorite game of all time so I was able to keeping going despite the setback and its just a handful of hours in the grand scheme unlike an RPG.

Had plenty of PS3 woes from various issues. An improper shut down corrupted a few of my early saves when I experienced a string of outages that came in quick succession. I remember grabbing data for "Devil May Cry 4" and "Valkyria Chronicles"from GameFAQs as a consequence because I didn't feel like replaying them all over again. Nearly lost massive progress with the first "Dark Souls" when a YLOD happened from overhearing in my dorm. Tried redoing the thermal paste fix without success and opted to send it off toward a secondhand shop that tackled the problem. I had just reached the penultimate boss battle in my first go and I wasn't about to restart a new game. Bought a new slim model, performed a data transfer once the old model came back, and kept on trucking. Lastly, a friend of mine might've overwritten my "Demon's Souls" data with a fresh start after I had beaten it...

uniform

Final Fantasy Tactics. I was pretty far in to the point I was doing that string of maps shrouded in darkness.

Slythe

KOTOR II on Xbox. Game randomly dropped my ship of at some kind of ice palace that had no one to talk to and I couldn't get back on my ship. I very stupidly saved over my previous save when I landed because I thought a tough boss was coming up. After a couple of hours of running around the palace I realized there was nothing I could do, the save file was done for. 30 hours down the drain.

Kyzon

200+ lost on Morrowind. Power outage during a save

600ish on the GameCube version of PSO due to the same thing.

Makes you feel so empty inside

I once wiped years worth of saves on my Xbox 360 - I forget exactly the mechanism but I was like putting on a bigger hard drive I think? and I thought I had moved the saves over from internal storage or something and then I thought ah I'm clever I'll delete the profile from the internal.......cue it warning me that I would lose all saves etc but I'm thinking ha ha I put them on the new HDD = Everything Gone.

I am super duper hazy as it was a long time ago - all I know is I wiped years worth of saves. I did it to myself.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Hitman: Absolution. That game had a fucking frustrating glitch that was never fixed.

My save got corrupted literally at the start of the final mission. This was after I'd completed all the challenges and got quite a few masteries. Thankfully I had already unlocked most of the achievements so I just rant through the story again the next day.

Bl@de

Gothic 2. Savegame bug after a lot of hours. No backup.

No problem. Just replayed everything from the start. Twice. I didn't care. Homework was not an interesting alternative.

Lgndryhr

Borderlands on Xbox 360. Someone had modded guns in my room and didn't realize there was a step to saving and quitting to ensure your save didn't get affected. Caused a bunch of issues with the save file. Tried to start a new character. Just couldn't​ after all the hours I had sunk into the game and DLC.

Later on down the road in life, had to sell my Xbox 360 for personal reasons. Lost all of my saves to my collection and had sold all the games. Have little interest in returning to some. Slowly been debuting the games and bought another gears 3 Xbox 360 approximately 2 years ago to try to rebuild.

Top Bottom