• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where your save file got corrupted/lost

Lost a 200+ hour game of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, and its backup saves. It was my perfect park, took years and years, 35 coasters all over an 8 in excitment. Still salty, as the saves still exist, they just don't work on any machine I try them on.

My condolences. That's a tough one to take.

For me it was PES 4 I think. I had done a ton of editing including correcting player names, club names, kits, badges, players' stats, players' appearances. Hours and hours of work to make the game presentable wasted.

Thank God for option files nowadays.

Godcannon

Painkiller:Hell and Damnation glitched to where I couldn't kill a miniboss about halfway through, and it was right at my save point. Nothing I did could get past the glitch.

I was having lots of fun, but didn't lose any sleep over it.

Belker

Batman Arkham City. Rented the game. 20 hours in the save got corrupted. I didn't want to start again in case it happened twice, so I sent it back.

However I really wanted to keep playing, so I rented Arkham Asylum which I'd never played. Finished it, no save issues.

Eventually got City in the GOTY version. I took a punt knowing that the save file issue hadn't been fixed, but I was willing to risk it. Got through it without issue; one of my favourite games.

void666

Banned
Assassin's Creed IV. The first AC game i was enjoying and then, corrupted saves. Not only that but my game is forever stuck in "contacting ubisoft servers".

Telltale's Walking Dead. When i tried to start the last chapter, save was corrupted. All my choices lost forever.

EvB

For me it was PES 4 I think. I had done a ton of editing including correcting player names, club names, kits, badges, players' stats, players' appearances. Hours and hours of work to make the game presentable wasted.

Just rememebered something I had forgot had existed.

51V274PH28L._SY300_QL70_.jpg

These discs that downloaded the up to date player names

My worst one was when I let a friend's sister play on my imported gamecube, obviously they had no idea you needed to us a memory card for each region.

They formatted my memory card and I lost my completed Smash Brother's Melee files :(

Putosaure

Mario Kart 8, Xenoblade X, Smash Bros., lost hours and hours of progress thanks to my hard drive not getting enough power from the Wii U. Ruined the will to start again, really.

I lost a number of Mass Effect 1 and 2 characters (meaning saves of full playthroughs) when my PC's HDD died shortly before the release of ME3.

The timing could have been better.

wreckml

The Walking Dead season 1. I played it on Steam, and then a little while later reformatted my PC. 99% of games, even other Telltale games upload your saves to the Steam Cloud but this one apparently didn't. At the time I thought the decisions I made mattered way more so I ended up replaying it and making the same decisions lol

2 hit me hard over the past few years, both were on SNES, I guess the cartridges dont hold up over time.

1. ActRaiser. Great game, was so close to the end!
2. Earthbound. Greatest game.

2 hit me hard over the past few years, both were on SNES, I guess the cartridges dont hold up over time.

1. ActRaiser. Great game, was so close to the end!
2. Earthbound. Greatest game.

most nintendo cart based consoles used carts that used a battery to save which die over time, they can be replaced if you know how

only the gba used flash memory to save

Cleve

Parasite eve, lost my chrystler building complete save to a crappy multi-page 3rd party memory card. Never bought any 3rd party mem cards again.

Sim Ant for snes. Game crashed when I took over the very last sector of the house and when I restarted the save was gone. :(

Thorrgal

Skyrim. Got a quest bugged, and after some days everytime it took longer and longer to load. I abandoned the game when it was like 10m each time

antibolo

Banned
My save for Attack of the Friday Monsters somehow corrupted right before the end.

Never saw the ending.

Also, I made the error of buying a Dreamcast 3rd party memory card, and put almost all my saves on it. Of course it died eventually. Lost my Marvel vs. Capcom 2 save file with all characters unlocked!

Smokey

I used a 3rd party memory card for Gran Turismo 2, I believe. One of those cards that had a switch and it would give you a "fresh" card. Turned my PS on one day and all my cars were gone. Never used a 3rd party device again.

It's only happened to me twcie & both times were my younger sister overwriting my saves :|
Okami on PS2 & Twilight Princess on the wii

With Okami I was particularly pissed, think I was right near the end. I banned my sister from the playstation for ages after that
Luckily I wasn't too far in to TP

Actually I also lost my Pokemon Gold save when the cart lost the ability to save a few years ago. So far Pokemon Blue is still going but I doubt it'll last much longer

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
lost over 120 hours in Tales of Vesperia 360 because the hd had a meltdown. never finished the game because of it

Vibed

Lost most of my Gamecube save data to corruption. Lost my 3DS some years ago, so Streetpass data and digital game saves were gone (along with super important stuff on the sd card). Several GB games like Wario Land 3 would lose save data because my little cousin would accidentally delete them. I also had to delete an Animal Crossing City Folk save file because it was corrupting my Wii.

First time this ever happened was with my copy of Pokemon Red as a child.

Recently, the most memorable ones have been Dead Space 2 and ZE: VLR.
I never finished Dead Space 2. With ZE:VLR, I ended up rushing through the entire game overnight and have finished it 2 additional times since then.

PS1... bought a cheap second memory card for FF7, 3rd party cards back in the days were horrible, got to disc 3, woke up ready to play on Saturday morning, all data was gone...

Stormthehouse

Neo Member
Max Payne 3, save got corrupted right after escaping the jail two separate times and I didn't have the oomph to do it again.

Sleeping Dogs but that's more a case of it wouldn't load saves for some reason, and this issue has followed me from one PC to another so just no damn clue what's going on with that.

Been doing modded Minecraft lately and the save has gotten corrupted twice, but it automatically does back-ups so not that big a problem.

We didn't have a working memory card for the gamecube so one day me and my dad spent all day playing Mario Kart so we could unlock everything

Other than that can't think of anything, had some decent luck when it comes to saves

edit: Oh, got that bug in Twilight Princess where you got trapped in the cannon room. Not really corruption but the save file was useless and I had to start all over again

weekev

Banned
Portal 2 towards the endgame. It glitched so my character was stuck in the floor then auto saved at that point so next time I died I basically couldn't move and I was stupidly only playing off of 1 save file. Never gone back to complete it although enough time has passed that I'd likely be ok with it now.

Dreadmoth

Jak X on PS2 occasionally hangs when saving - leaving the player with no choice but to remove the memory card or reboot, and corrupting the save file.

This happened to me twice, leaving ~2.5MB of undeletable corrupted data on the 8MB memory card. The first time it also corrupted a ~95% complete save file of Jak & Daxter. :/

Can reduce the chance of this happening by disabling autosave - preferably by removing the memory card until you're ready to save manually.

BossRush

It's more of a weird example because it was entirely my fault.

I was playing SMTIV and exploring Tokyo, and all of a sudden my character fell through the world map. I hadn't saved in a while and thought "maybe if I save and reload the glitch will fix itself"

It didn't.

I had to restart.

NinjaBoiX

Tomb Raider Reboot, I think my percentage was around 90%, PS4 hard locked mid-save and corrupted it, 😩

No way I was replaying all that, but I'm having a blast with Rise, this may be the game to get me back into gaming! I've not really been that interested for months now but I love this game.

Neptonic

I lost 137 hours of borderlands 2 when I switched from Mac to PC because cloud saves were platform specific WHICH ISN'T MENTIONED ANYWHERE ON THE STEAM STORE PAGE.

Deadly Premonition director's cut on PC: Near the very end of the game, my save got corrupted. I looked up the rest of the game on Youtube as a result.

JordanKZ

Phantasy Star Online EP1 & 2 for GameCube. Some guy gave me a duped item, I didn't even know of the hack, lost a 400 hour save. Never went back.

Venture

I lost a nearly 100% GTA San Andreas save that I was working on thanks to a crap Mad Catz PS2 memory card. So pissed.

Shitty Madcatz memory pack in one of the N64 Tony Hawk games.

My save just disappeared one day.
Screw Mad Catz.

Peltz

My Super Metroid cart only sometimes loses a save. It's weird.

Occasionally, it glitches out and freezes during gameplay and the saves are wiped when I restart the system.

I've told this story a few times but I had a copy of Resident Evil 2 for the Dreamcast that wouldn't save to any card, couldn't figure it out. I played it for most of the evening and set my controller down before one of the earlier bosses, came back in the morning to find my dad had decided to play and died. Hour of pain staking progress was lost, which I expected, surely, but by HIS hand?

I didn't speak to him for a few days.

Dr_Ifto

Brave Fencer Musashi- was at the last boss area. Loved the game but have been so mad, that I haven't touched it in 17 years.

Super smash bros melee, lost everything when tryin to transfer the data to a new (crappy) mad catz memory card. My bro and I were so pissed we had every character, stage, all events done, and almost 100 % trophies. That was a rough day.

Island

Lost my Witcher 3 save in a Ps4 crash. Was about 20 hours in. I tried restarting and got to the Baron.... But it is such a slog to get back to where I was.

Top Bottom