• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xboxone Resolutiongate (Eurogamer)

DieH@rd

Banned
I did some quick photoshopping to see the difference between 1080p native and 720p upscaled. All I did was take a 1080p picture of Killzone: SF, resize it down to 720p and saved it, then resized that saved 720p file back up to 1080p. This is the difference it made. How indicative is it of real results?

That is not how it works. With resize you have just applied great antialiasing to the 720p image.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Ok this time I took a 1080 screenshot of Crysis 2 and a 720p screenshot of Crysis 2 and stretched it to 1080 size. Sorry for the window border. Only way I could get print screen to work.

Pretty much, but they get extra compressed if you upload to imgur. You have the right idea though.

difference in resolution is one thing, how about the difference in games?

KVX6jb4.jpg

Mr.Speedy

Banned
Well, this will be fun.

MMGN: I’ve seen the game on current-gen, as well as next-gen (PS4) consoles. I’ve heard from a few developers about their experiences working on the new hardware, and the general consensus is that, on a broad scale, they’re more similar than what the 360 and PS3 were in the early stages. Is that a sentiment you agree with?

Lars Gustavsson: Even on an extremely high level, I think they have more things in common. It’s much easier to develop and to deliver on five platforms, which is good for us. With Frostbite, being able to work so long on the current generation, it’s allowed us to ensure that the engine, whatever platform we have it on at the end, that it’s able make the most of the platform, so that’s been the good thing of the extended generation. But overall we don’t know what to expect with new hardware, even when we’re working on it. I think we’ve been extremely privileged to have the time to work on this generation, and embrace the possibilities it’s presented. It’s helped the transition.

http://mmgn.com/ps4/articles--battlefield-4-interview-we-wanted-to-push-the

What's fun about that? Both are X86 architectures with 8 jaguar cores, the same family AMD GPU and both have 8 gigs of ram. Not to mention similar bluray drives and 500 gb hard drives.

p3tran

Banned
What's fun about that? Both are X86 architectures with 8 jaguar cores, the same family AMD GPU and both have 8 gigs of ram. Not to mention similar bluray drives and 500 gb hard drives.

yes, under this perspective, i am sure that the term "lazy developers" will have more meaning now, as their lives -I think- will be multiple times easier :)

Well duh of course working on both systems will be more similar this time around as they both have the same CPU, both have similar GPUs in design

Obviously ESram is a problem but it pales in complexity to cell

that blurb does little to dicuss actual hardware differences but merely reiterates that the architecture for both is likely the closest it's ever been between competing PS & xbox consoles

Interesting interview with Mark Rubin:

And it’s not just hardware physically, the amount of resources that each system is allowing the game developers to use isn't the same. So from our standpoint that’s something that could change, y’know? We might get more resources back at one point. And that could make things change dramatically for the Xbox One, for instance. It’s a long complicated road that will take years to develop, and I think at the end we’ll have games looking very similar, usually, on both systems.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/spo...-next-gen-call-of-dutys-resolution-disparity/

wasn't it mortimer who said Activision was asking MS to use that extra 10% GPU allocated to the OS, and MS said no?

HTupolev

Hell, we KNOW the game is a forward rendered game, simply because it CAN fit in that 32mb eSRAM.
Strictly speaking, that's not true. Some slim G-buffer formats can fit 1080p into 32MB, with a little breathing room. I'm not talking abstract theoretical stuff, either; some deferred stuff that exists on the 360 was specifically design to fit near-720p into the 10MB. Like Halo: Reach.

That said, given how Forza 5 is shaded, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if it were done forward.

Yep, if people want to use 1 source image, they need to scale down to 720p then scale back up using "Nearest Neighbor" NOT bicubic sampling.
Actually, you'd probably get a more accurate approximation by scaling down using nearest neighbor, and then scaling back up using a "smoother" technique like bicubic. Nearest neighboring down would be similar to taking raw "pixel center" samples, and then the scale up would apply the usual smudging. Whereas supersampling down and nearest-neighboring up would just give you a blocky and blown-up version of a supersampled 720p image, which is bizarre and not at all what the final image will be.

Neither approach is going to give exact results, though.

Amused

Time is reporting on this topic:

techland.time.com/2013/11/06/xbox-one-resolution-brouhaha-when-graphics-matter-and-when-they-dont/:
With the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, we seem to be time-warping backwards, regressing to rote bickering over rumor and innuendo. The lazy story that emerged mid-September about the PS4 being “50% faster” than Xbox One, sourcing anonymous developers from who-knows-where, was nebulous link bait, crafted to grab the attention of partisan gamers and professional trolls. They emerged, dutifully, to graffiti up the place and wag the conversation off a cliff. You can’t have a meaningful conversation about a contextually incomprehensible abstract percentile.

This more recent controversy involving Call of Duty: Ghosts, by contrast, involves a thoughtful visual analysis by a respected game site, as well as tweets from official studio reps. The informational difference is stark: Here, at last, are metrics to dig into.

I’ll summarize: Activision’s Call of Duty: Ghosts for the Xbox One renders natively at 720p, whereas it renders natively at 1080p on the PlayStation 4. Assuming you have a 1080p-native television, that’s a difference worth talking about. The Xbox One version upscales to 1080p, of course, and Infinity Ward claims the visual differences between the versions running on 1080p TVs are all but indiscernible, but Eurogamer’s Digital Foundry effectively says that’s too dismissive — that there are differences, and in some cases those differences are substantial.

Wow somehow that is a terrible article and yet still is the best coverage that the difference in COD is likely substantial

Why is it so hard for people to understand the specs on paper weigh far more heavily this gen than any other considering how similar the architecture is?

The power difference between the PS4 and XB1 is not based on rumor but on hard specs substantiated by various sources

Oh and Matt Peckham, you're silly if you don't think people would've preferred Xenoblade Chronicles at a higher resolution. There is no downside to a higher resolution unless it sacrifices another area of graphics and going by the BF4 comparison the PS4 is not

Top Bottom