• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockband - New Information From Game Informer

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Y2Kev said:
I think, with EA behind it, RB can afford some really good songs...

God, GH is so ****ed
in five years

From what I've heard, EA is staying out of the songs-department, that's MTV's part of the deal. And MTV has all the right connections, thus a big business advantage. Take that and the fact that Harmonix is responsible for the biggest music-game in history, and Guitar Hero shooting recordsales through the roof (RHCP, Jimi Hendrix and RATM CDs were selling like hotcakes in local recordstores after the release of the GH-games, after sitting on the shelves for years).
This basically creates a situation where MTV can select any track, call the responsible label and tell them they want to use the track, and they want their permission. I wouldn't be surprised if some labels would throw in the license for free, or at least at a hefty discount.

Overall, Rock Band will make GH3 sit in the corner and cry. Not because GH3 sucks. Just because Rock Band... rocks. It'll be like Tom Morello playing guitar and Steve Vai walks in. Tom doesn't suck, but Vai will blow his socks off.

kenta

Has no PEINS
MercuryLS said:
I'm defecting to Rock Band.

Where Harmonix goes, I go. **** Activision and Neversoft.

Also that new guitar looks amazing :D
I have to say I'm right there with you. When Rock Band was first announced I rolled my eyes pretty fierce but I've really turned around as the game has materialized and as Neversoft has shown their incompetence. I'm really hoping they get the bundles/pricing right, for example, giving us the option to customize the game how we want:

Game + Guitar: $89.99
Game + Drums: $89.99
Guitar sold separately: $39.99
Drums sold separately: $39.99
Microphone sold separately: $19.99

Something like that would be pretty excellent, that way you could just pick and choose exactly what you want to buy. If they decide to bundle EVERYTHING in one single box for like $199 then I think I'd be right back to rolling my eyes, though.

All that said, I'm still probably going to end up getting GH3 on the PS2 simply because I have two guitars already and could always use more songs. But my heart will be with Rock Band for sure

Vlad

MercuryLS said:
I'm defecting to Rock Band.

Where Harmonix goes, I go. **** Activision and Neversoft.

Also that new guitar looks amazing :D

After reading the GI article, it really does show a difference in direction between RB and GH3. In GH3, it seems like they're just trying too hard to throw new stuff at the game. The battle mode and boss battles just don't quite "fit" for me. Rock Band, on the other hand, seems like a more natural evolution of the concept.

Here's hoping that they eventually release a PS2 version so I can just buy the drums and use my two GH guitars...

MercuryLS

Banned
kenta said:
I have to say I'm right there with you. When Rock Band was first announced I rolled my eyes pretty fierce but I've really turned around as the game has materialized and as Neversoft has shown their incompetence. I'm really hoping they get the bundles/pricing right, for example, giving us the option to customize the game how we want:

Game + Guitar: $89.99
Game + Drums: $89.99
Guitar sold separately: $39.99
Drums sold separately: $39.99
Microphone sold separately: $19.99

Something like that would be pretty excellent, that way you could just pick and choose exactly what you want to buy. If they decide to bundle EVERYTHING in one single box for like $199 then I think I'd be right back to rolling my eyes, though.

All that said, I'm still probably going to end up getting GH3 on the PS2 simply because I have two guitars already and could always use more songs. But my heart will be with Rock Band for sure

The only way they could screw this up is on pricing, I hope its resonable and I also hope there isn't only one option of a big bundle. I want to get the Game + Guitar and a drum set on the side. I hope I can do that (no interest in singing).

Top Bottom