• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan lines up for Black DSL. x one-hundred billion (sold out)

flammie

Error2k4 said:
h-103_59451_sotoretu1.jpg.jpg

wtf!?

Is that one guy with the backpack and headphones in the back using a psp?

Captain N

Doogdogg said:
this is just fraking nuts.

next: limegreen dsl, orange, red, etc. every freaking color known to mankind.

are any other colors rumored? my girlfriend would hate to get the pink to only find out a Lime Green is coming out in Jan. in Japan.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
They buy DSlites to play, when they stand in line to buy more DSlites. To think that Pokemon hasn't even dropped yet. They'll have lines ending in the damned ocean!

Doogdogg

Captain N said:
are any other colors rumored? my girlfriend would hate to get the pink to only find out a Lime Green is coming out in Jan. in Japan.

Nothing been said.

i'd figure they go through primary, secondary colors before introducing more fruity dses. :D

personally, am waiting spice orange. the spice (exclusive to japan) gamecube was hot shit.

Deku

Banned
Doogdogg said:
Nothing been said.

i'd figure they go through primary, secondary colors before introducing more fruity dses. :D

personally, am waiting spice orange. the spice (exclusive to japan) gamecube was hot shit.

glow in the dark DSL would be cool. An a pure gold DS for Zelda.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Doogdogg said:
Nothing been said.

i thought that was limited in the US for a couple months?

i know the controller came out here

F#A#Oo

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Collect the colors! Pokemon trained them well. Gotta buy'em! Gotta buy'em ALL!

Seriously, these guys have to be buying multiple systems. I have a hard time believing there are giant throngs out there waiting for a new color before they dive in.

Japan has a population of 127,000,000....

I believe Nintendo is aiming to get a DS in the hand of everyone in Japan...

They still have a long way to go...:)

Kroole

smurfx said:
boy nintendo sure knows how to squeeze they're fans.

Huh? It merely seems like they are redistributing the black systems from the Europe market to the Japanese one to try to meet/ease the demand. The don't need to introduce any colurs whatsoever to sell out their stock.

smurfx said:
boy nintendo sure knows how to squeeze they're fans.
Well, I think Nintendo would much rather have those systems going to new people. Given that they're still unable to meet total demand, they clearly don't actually WANT some guy to buy 3 DS Lites. They want three people to buy those DS Lites, so there are three different people buying software, not just one. I definitely wouldn't read into this that Nintendo is deliberately trying to get existing DS owners buying more systems, it would be counter-productive for them.

Neomoto

Man.. I wonder what Sony thinks every ****ing time they see this kind of shit.

Wasn't Tingle RGP supposed to be released along with this new color btw?

WalkMan said:
You can't keep this up forever Nintendo! Eventually you're going to reach Japan's population limit, THEN what are you going to do?
Release DS Micro. :lol Serieusly, they STILL have 1) ONLINE POKEMON 2) A new redesign (not to mention shitloads of special editions and new colours) and 3) A pricedrop. Jesus..

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
With the releases of Pokemon, Winning Eleven and Zelda, Nintendo could very well sell another 5 millions DS in Japan by 2007. That would be 15 millions in a 2 years timeframe. Sounds unprecedent.

I've been many time in Yodobashi Camera shop in Akihabara, so i can say that it's very amazing to see how many people was waiting for black DSL...

but last saturday i was in Yodobashi @ Yokohama cause my gf was buying nSMB and there were 20 people in line before us, and of course most of them were buying DSL :D

ehm... and i also saw a guy buying a 360 :lol

GDGF

Soothsayer
It's funny, but in Japan at least, one of the main reasons why the Wii is going to be the winner this gen is because it acts as a hub for the DS :lol

Mar

cordonbleu said:
Thats some amazing demand.

What do all the people passing by think of this madness?

There are no passers by. Unless they are heading to the back of the line ;).

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Let's not kid ourselves here, the lines obviously look like this every week, no matter if a new color is out or not. :p

marvelharvey said:
Indeed, this is more "We have DSLites IN STOCK" as opposed to "We have the a new color to sell"

Yeah, it was immensly humurous when they launched Pink... seeing the pics of all the people pridely holding it up, must of been kinda self defeating for some. :p

Deku

Banned
If this was any other console, launching a different color might boost sales but not sell out, so the unsatisfied demand contingent is pretty big.

Are any new games launching this week?

Or should we just expect that the DS games that sold last week, will spill over onto this week? (not like thats a rarity either)

Probably an explosion of verbage against the vicious tyranny of 'nongames' and 'pieces of complete shit' taking over Japan.

Lapsed

Banned
But why is Japan so crazy for the DS? We don't see these long lines in America or Europe. Why is the DS a social phenomenon in Japan but hasn't "exploded" elseware? Or is it just a matter of time?

The big winner here might actually be Square-Enix ... having the black DS Lite for FFIIIs second week with that many people in line, should give FFIII another second wind. In theory anyway.

Lapsed said:
We don't see these long lines in America or Europe.
Because
a) There are no shortages in the US and EU.
and
b) Western people know the meaning of the word "preorder".

But to see these lines in Japan is so much more fun. :D

The images look so... familiar. We might as well just start photoshopping them with different colors to be prepared for threads about future DS Lite color launches.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Lapsed said:
But why is Japan so crazy for the DS? We don't see these long lines in America or Europe. Why is the DS a social phenomenon in Japan but hasn't "exploded" elseware? Or is it just a matter of time?

Because Japan likes their things a little more quirky and I guess they were ready for a more unique gameplay experience that the DS gives them. On top of that, the DS is backwards compatible with GBA and Japan was insane for that platform, too. People say that gaming is a bigger part of the culture in Japan and it's not looked at as only "young male teenager's" hobby over there like it is in the west, so platforms targetting all kinds of people would likely do even better in Japan, which the DS has proven.

ziran

Lapsed said:
because the more traditional gaming market hasn't declined as much as it has in japan.

many of those who despise what's been happening in the japanese charts are under the misguided opinion if it wasn't for the ds and its 'non-games' generic rpg 7 or action game 3 would've sold more. this is obviously nonsense. the japanese industry was in decline long before the ds came onto the scene and the idea someone who is now playing games because of brain training or nintendogs would've even considered the aforementioned gaming types is silly.

japan has fallen in love with nintendo's version of gaming :)

You generally won't see lines in North America for anything except things like system launches, which happen every 4-5 years.

One other reason is Japan has such a large population in a small size, that things like lineups for products that are greatly in demand end up being more commonplace. That said, what the DS is doing over there right now is simply unbelievable. Nintendo was right --- like it or not, they gambled that people were getting tired of the old status quo of gaming and the chasm between gamer and non-gamer had grown too large. There needed to be something to fill the gap.

Top Bottom