• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan lines up for Black DSL. x one-hundred billion (sold out)

apujanata

OK, I went into Shibuya at lunchtime to pick up Tingle, and sure enough, FFIII is out of stock. Same at Amazon, actually.

It is not wise for SE to allow FFIII shortage. Especially if they allow it to continue for more than one or two weeks.

Jonnyram

apujanata said:
It is not wise for SE to allow FFIII shortage. Especially if they allow it to continue for more than one or two weeks.
It's kind of out of Square's hands now. Production of carts is Nintendo's job.

apujanata

Jonnyram said:
It's kind of out of Square's hands now. Production of carts is Nintendo's job.

If Nintendo does not want to irritate and made SE an enemy of DSL, they better produce as much carts as SE wanted (for FFIII).

DefectiveReject said:
i'm sure their cart capacity is higher than 1m a week across all games?

Well, apparently they are stocking up for Pokemon or something, becuase I would think they could easily pump out 2-4 million carts a week if they wanted to.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Whatever the problem is - parts lagging behind schedule, underestimating sales potential, or pokemon - Nintendo really screwed up for this holiday season. The DS will probably sell 1 million units in November and 2 million in Decemember in North America. Europe will probably see similar sales (2.5 million?) and Japan will be frickin insane. They should have been working on a new production facility or perhaps outsourcing some of the work about 9 months ago.

Well, I guess Nintendo will sell around 10 million DS units between now and Janurary 1.

ziran

apujanata said:
If Nintendo does not want to irritate and made SE an enemy of DSL, they better produce as much carts as SE wanted (for FFIII).
but it's square-enix's error.

every company has to pre-book cartridges for manufacture and we're heading into the busiest time of the year with a main sequel to japan's biggest franchise, pokémon d/p. it's only natural things are tight, which is something square-enix would've been aware of.

bottom line is square-enix messed up. they underestimated demand for a potential million+ seller and if consumer interest declines by the time new shipments arrive their shareholders will hold square-enix responsible, not nintendo.

Top Bottom