• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan lines up for Black DSL. x one-hundred billion (sold out)

cvxfreak said:
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl ARE NOT included in the package. It's a typical mistake by Magic Box.

No prior Pokemon system except for the Pokemon XD bundle included the game. My blue Pokemon DS system did not include any game, and neither did the varieties released for the 5 GBA games.

There's no real point in offering the game for free ... since anyone who would be interested in a DS + Pokemon bundle would've bought the game seperately with a DS system anyway.

Basically it would just be Nintendo throwing away $30 per bundle for no reason. Given the fact that the DS as is already has supply issues right now, it makes even less sense to offer the hardware at any kind of discount whether by price cut or bundle.

If anything, Nintendo probably wouldn't be out of line in raising the DS price in Japan, lol.

polg

the real question is... are they holding back DSLs for a couple of weeks until the Pokemon launch? How many can they push during that week?

They could probably sell 500,000 easily during the Pokemon week.

I doubt they can meet that demand though, but they probably have been quietly hoarding systems for a little while now.

The DS Lite is very popular in North America and Europe, which means DS shipments to those territories now are eating into what Nintendo can supply to Japan.

Still, the rabid demand in Japan simply means that the DS is going to sell a lot over a longer period. I'm not really seeing much of an indication that people are getting fed up with low DS stock in Japan and buying something else.

Link1110 said:
COuld you get rid of the white screens between each of the frames? That gif is giving me a headache.

bruce-willis.jpg

Got any asprin?
Sorry about that, stupid gimp woun't let me make it go any slower. I'll just remove it.

Oblivion said:
So how much did this new DSL sell so far?

Nintendo apparently shipped about 150,000 of the black model. Safe to say pretty much all of those black DS models sold out within hours.

Even with a production capacity of 2.2 million DS/month, I think Nintendo really has to consider outsourcing production to another plant/facility for the holiday rush.

Japan alone could require 4-5 million DS' between now and year end IMO.

polg said:
the real question is... are they holding back DSLs for a couple of weeks until the Pokemon launch? How many can they push during that week?

I think Nintendo has been shipping some and holding some back(I think that is obvious with the 74L~ a couple weeks ago and the 163K~ on FFIII's release). They know Pokemon is only going to make this supply and demand problem 100 times worse than it already is, so they need to TRY to meet demand the best they can before Pokemon's launch and try to unleash all they can to meet demand at launch so they can start saving for the end of the year.
Nintendo's financial statements for the year is going to be amazing to see.

On a side note, I have been reading Blue Ocean Strategy and it says, "Cirque du Soleil gained a new understanding not only of circus customers but also of circus noncustomers: adult theater customers." I couldn't help but to laugh to myself when I read that.

soundwave05 said:
Even with a production capacity of 2.2 million DS/month, I think Nintendo really has to consider outsourcing production to another plant/facility for the holiday rush.

Japan alone could require 4-5 million DS' between now and year end IMO.

I thought they bumped it to 2.4 in July at some point. Whatever the number is, it isn't enough to satisfy Japan right now.

Also, I think 5 million is on the low end on what the DS can do. We may be looking at a 2~ million unit month in December easily if they can get enough out there.

It's going to be interesting how their supply holds up.

I thought a few months ago that Nintendo would drop to $99 in NA to boost DS sales here, but now it's obvious the DS Lite is hot here as well, and a drop to $99 would only exacerberate what could be a sticky supply situation as is.

They can drop to $99 in the US next year and get another big surge when Pokemon comes out here.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
soundwave05 said:
It's going to be interesting how their supply holds up.

I thought a few months ago that Nintendo would drop to $99 in NA to boost DS sales here, but now it's obvious the DS Lite is hot here as well, and a drop to $99 would only exacerberate what could be a sticky supply situation as is.

They can drop to $99 in the US next year and get another big surge when Pokemon comes out here.
They don't need to drop the price and they won't, for a loooooong time

VicAlpha said:
They don't need to drop the price and they won't, for a loooooong time

In Japan, no, but in the US, the price will have to be dropped to $99 eventually for the DS to achieve it's sales potential here. The DS Lite certainly has given the DS a nice shot in the arm, and is enough to carry the system through the holidays, but eventually more will be needed to sustain the momenteum.

Too many parents here simply won't buy their kids a handheld for more than $99, and the impulse buy $99 price point would also be more attractive/ideal for "non-gamers". The West is more of a Wal-Mart-centric society.

mj1108

soundwave05 said:
They could probably sell 500,000 easily during the Pokemon week.

I doubt they can meet that demand though, but they probably have been quietly hoarding systems for a little while now.

The DS Lite is very popular in North America and Europe, which means DS shipments to those territories now are eating into what Nintendo can supply to Japan.

Still, the rabid demand in Japan simply means that the DS is going to sell a lot over a longer period. I'm not really seeing much of an indication that people are getting fed up with low DS stock in Japan and buying something else.

I'm sure they've been stocking units for Poke-ton. It would be stupid of them not to.

Guys according to my sources: FFIII is gonna see a huge drop this week do to shortages. I don't think Square shipped anymore last week so whatever was leftover launch week is what was sold last week! I could be wrong but I'm projecting about 20k for last week from early sources!! Square should hav known demand would hav been this high. Anyone living in Japan see another shipment of FFIIIs last week? Is there still a shortage?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Square2005 said:
Guys according to my sources: FFIII is gonna see a huge drop this week do to shortages. I don't think Square shipped anymore last week so whatever was leftover launch week is what was sold last week! I could be wrong but I'm projecting about 20k for last week!! Square should hav known demand would hav been this high. Anyone living in Japan see another shipment of FFIIIs last week? Is there still a shortage?

I didnt go to the major shopping districts but my local places didnt seem to have any shortage issues.

Square2005 said:
Guys according to my sources: FFIII is gonna see a huge drop this week do to shortages. I don't think Square shipped anymore last week so whatever was leftover launch week is what was sold last week! I could be wrong but I'm projecting about 20k for last week from early sources!! Square should hav known demand would hav been this high. Anyone living in Japan see another shipment of FFIIIs last week? Is there still a shortage?
Ouch. A major malfunction on Square's part if even remotely accurate.

Jonnyram

Some retailers were saying that FFIII stocks would take a long time to be replenished because the cart production plants are now focusing on Pokemon. This was said before FFIII even launched. People who missed the boat may have to wait a few weeks before there is a plentiful supply again.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Square2005 said:

Final Fantasy games have no legs LOLAMIRITE?

Jonnyram said:
Some retailers were saying that FFIII stocks would take a long time to be replenished because the cart production plants are now focusing on Pokemon. This was said before FFIII even launched. People who missed the boat may have to wait a few weeks before there is a plentiful supply again.
Ewww. That is an ugly situation for FF III. I would think that the publishers handle production. After Pokemon hits, I'm not confident that a lot of other games can survive that blitz... including Final Fantasy III. Do you think people will still care about FF III after Pokemon?

Oh wow. If SE won't be able to ship alot more FFIII copies in the next few weeks, the possibility of it reaching a million will lower greatly. I hope I'm wrong.

JavyOO7

GoldenEye 007 said:
Ewww. That is an ugly situation for FF III. I would think that the publishers handle production. After Pokemon hits, I'm not confident that a lot of other games can survive that blitz... including Final Fantasy III. Do you think people will still care about FF III after Pokemon?

I'm sure there's still a nice chunk of the audience whose going to want FFIII and Pokemon when its all said and done. Yeah Pokemon is going to get Japan to go down to its collective knees, but that means more users in the end, so FFIII should rebound back just fine once Poke-ton day comes and goes.

BorkBork said:
Final Fantasy games have no legs LOLAMIRITE?

Well, before FFVI they did. We will find out, hopefully tomorrow, once ioi returns w/ the weekly famitsues going back to 1990- how the FFs & DQs used to sell. He said FFV debuted at ~400k (then went on to sell 2.45m).

FFIII sales should rebound once new shipments arrive (prob. this week) but if S-E waits too long the hype for teh Pokermans will perminantly kill any legs FFIII could hav had.

Early estimates for this week:
Code:
1.  Phantasy Star Universe        137,000
2.  New Super Mario Bros.	56,000
3.  GuitarFreaks & DrumMania 	25,000
4.  Brain Training 2	                24,000
5.  Animal Forest	                23,000
6.  Tamagotchi 2	                21,000
[B]7.  Final Fantasy III               20,000[/B]
8.  Rune Factory	                18,000
9.  God Industry ??	                17,000
10. EVE New Generation	15,000

I hav no idea how accurate these are but we'll find out in a few days...

Square2005 said:
Early estimates for last week:
Code:

Third party games don't sell on DS! :lol

Jonnyram

Square2005 said:
Code:
[b]4.  Brain Training 2	                24,000[/b]
This is very telling IMO. Also, I guess Tingle didn't make it past 15,000, even with two days of sales? I'm gonna get my copy today.

Square2005 said:

What?

Square definitely would have produced more on the basis of the first-day numbers alone. So that would have given them over a week to try to meet demand, and all they could pump out during the course of that time is a fraction of the original supply?

I call BS.

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
So, FFIII sales are down because Square underestimated sales potential? Then why are all the other games going down this week?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I'm convinced that tingle will chart. Also, I believe that rythm tengoku will do > 15k again since there was a new shipment.

:lol at anyone who believes that chart.

Software sales will spike for something, all those people buying a black DS will buy something with it.

If you're this gulliable, I've got a bridge to sell ya ... seriously, it's a good deal.

The Black DSL would have caused an uncharasmatic jump in sales for a majority of the DS regulars in the top 10, much in the same way DSL Pink did, and Black is the more popular color of the two. Those sales numbers don't make sense.

Jonnyram

OK, I went into Shibuya at lunchtime to pick up Tingle, and sure enough, FFIII is out of stock. Same at Amazon, actually.

Hero

That chart is the worst fake thing posted in recent memory.

Yes, I expect FFIII to sell significant lower because Square didn't anticipate these sales, but you stupidly lowered all other DS games to a ridiculous amount.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Square2005 said:
Code:

Looks kinda suspicous.. where's cooking navi? It's been consistently on the charts every single week since it's been released, and sold 37K last week. Everything on that list looks a little bit iffy to me. But stranger things have happened on weekly charts.

Sunski

soundwave05 said:
:lol at anyone who believes that chart.

Software sales will spike for something, all those people buying a black DS will buy something with it.

If you're this gulliable, I've got a bridge to sell ya ... seriously, it's a good deal.

Didn't you see the pic? All the people buying the black DSL already have a DS! Therefore no need to buy software as well.

Jonnyram

The chart is not fake... it's from a different source than usual charts, and COMGNET's chart's are usually miles off from M.Create, Enterbrain etc. I think they only track a small number of stores or something. Don't worry about it for now.

lancubap

NintendosBooger said:
The Black DSL would have caused an uncharasmatic jump in sales for a majority of the DS regulars in the top 10, much in the same way DSL Pink did, and Black is the more popular color of the two. Those sales numbers don't make sense.

Agree. These estimation are not accurates.

Nintendo DS Lite Jet Black ausverkauft

04.09.06 - Nintendo gibt bekannt, dass das schwarze Sondermodell Nintendo DS Lite Jet Black in Japan ausverkauft ist - der Handheld kam am 02.09.06 auf den Markt. Erste Nachlieferungen sollen noch in dieser Woche in den japanischen Handel kommen.

www.gamefront.de

--> Nintendo announces that the Nintendo DS Lite Jet Black is sold out. Another shipment should arrive in this week.

Top Bottom