• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan lines up for Black DSL. x one-hundred billion (sold out)

cae

I would love to ask those people on queues if they already have a DS, or a DSL. I bet more than half of them already have at least one.

cae said:
I would love to ask those people on queues if they already have a DS, or a DSL. I bet more than half of them already have at least one.

I'm not so sure this is true though. While of course you're going to have overlap, if it was really just the same people rebuying the system over and over again ... it would show itself in the software sales.

The software sales the DS is putting up simply aren't possible unless the userbase is pretty close to 10 million individual users or so. There's no way you can keep selling the types of numbers NSMB, Brain Training, Animal Crossing, etc. put up week after week unless there's a large influx of new users each week.

soundwave05 said:
I'm not so sure this is true though. While of course you're going to have overlap, if it was really just the same people rebuying the system over and over again ... it would show itself in the software sales.

The software sales the DS is putting up simply aren't possible unless the userbase is pretty close to 10 million individual users or so. There's no way you can keep selling the types of numbers NSMB, Brain Training, Animal Crossing, etc. put up week after week unless there's a large influx of new users each week.

Yup. The suggestion that it's the same people buying multiple systems really does fly in the face of the software sales - unless someone seriously believes that the same people who they think are buying two or three consoles are buying two or three copies of NSMB or Brain Training to go with it...

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
when Mario sells pretty close to 1m copies in its first week, nearly 10% of the entire DS user base, and 3 games have each sold to 30% of the entire DS user base, then arguments that a substantial portion of DS owners have multiple DS units are quite clearly flawed.

If the DS was managing such software sales with just 5-6 million actual users that would be more impressive actually. The software tie ratio per user would have to be absolutely insane. It'd also be very, very, very, very unlikely.

cae

soundwave05 said:

While you're totally right and i actually had that flawed thought that the same people were buying the same systems, technically, i refered to only the people on the queue, only those who are crazy enough to queue for hours for a new model of an already established console. I still think those guys have multiple DSs, heh.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Madden, NCAA, those games get some pretty crazy lines (no where near this crazy, but fairly crazy for america.)

Halo 2 was also crazy.

Im sure most of those people dont already have DS's as they are still super super hard to find. And yeah, there's still a good 110,000,000 people that dont own em.

TiVo

How do I know? Look at the lines, if they had DS-Lites already would they not have them on them and playing/PictoChating while waiting in line for hours? 400 people = how many PictoChat rooms?

apujanata

Based on Babelfish translation, it seems that :

The queue before the opening time is around 200 people. The store open earlier, 8:15 AM instead of the standard 9:30 AM. At the peak, the # of people that queue is around 500 people. One hour after opening, DSL Jet Black was sold out.

There was some mention about FFIII from square enix, but I am not sure what it mean

It looks like the queue for Jet Black is more than the queue for Pink (80 people by 3AM).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
13047656_6d4e71cc37_m.jpg

Saoh

fly high ~ayunite~ said:
People line up playing DS, to buy a new DS... :lol

:lol :lol

Japan is ****ing insane!! i thought they already had a black color time ago.

i really cant believe this happens EVERYTIME Nintendo releases a new color. Pokemon is going to be insane :lol

F#A#Oo said:
Question....did the PSP beat the DS to 10m unit sales?

I remember just before christmas last year Phil Harrison...being asked how he feels about the DS out-selling the PSP and he responded by saying the PSP beat it to 10m units sold.

Or was it another of his mis-guided views?

EDIT:linky-poo

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=62158

He was talking about shipped units.

Btw. it's hilarious. This DS craziness just doesn't end, 150k black DS Lites + perhaps another 100k from the other colors. Unless hell freezes over, NDS will definitely be the most successful console/handheld ever in Japan in a few years (not combining GB/GBC).

F#A#Oo

Banned
Frankfurter said:
He was talking about shipped units.

Eurogamer: Moving on to the PSP, how do you think it's gone now we're three months on from launch? What do you make of the reports Nintendo DS is outselling it?

Phil Harrison: Well that's factually incorrect. PlayStation Portable has been the fastest-selling machine to ten million units. We are bringing in plane-loads of PSPs into Europe and the US as we speak in order to satisfy the demand in the run-up to Christmas, and if you talk to retail they'll tell you it's the hottest-selling piece of hardware right now - by far and away the number one demanded product in stores this Christmas.

~~~~~~~~

Extract from my link...So no he wasn't talking about shipped...he said "selling".

pestul

F#A#Oo said:
Eurogamer: Moving on to the PSP, how do you think it's gone now we're three months on from launch? What do you make of the reports Nintendo DS is outselling it?

Phil Harrison: Well that's factually incorrect. PlayStation Portable has been the fastest-selling machine to ten million units. We are bringing in plane-loads of PSPs into Europe and the US as we speak in order to satisfy the demand in the run-up to Christmas, and if you talk to retail they'll tell you it's the hottest-selling piece of hardware right now - by far and away the number one demanded product in stores this Christmas.

~~~~~~~~

Extract from my link...So no he wasn't talking about shipped...he said "selling".
Yeah, that one was just a lie.. it was really shipped.

F#A#Oo said:

~~~~~~~~

Yeah, Sony sold these 10m units. To retailers.

Btw. yeah, this sentence about PSP being "by far the number one demanded product in stores this christmas" is of course pure bullshit.

F#A#Oo said:

~~~~~~~~

Still probably talking about to retailers, not consumers. DS I'm sure hit 10 million before PSP because DS was never behind PSP in worldwide sales.

chadums90

I know not everyone here is a native English speaker, but

Stop putting an "S" at the end of "Million!!!" Holy crap that is obnoxious.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow, that's impressive. Makes up for the sparse lines when the DSPhat originally launched, I guess.

F#A#Oo

Banned
When Pokemon drops Japan will go into national crisis...you head it from me...:)

Pokemon will easily shift 6m-10m units...Hell Nintendogs has shifted 6m+ thus far...:D

F#A#Oo said:

~~~~~~~~

god... THAT eurogamer interview. worst interview they ever did i think. it reads like they were giving him a hand job while doing it.

not only is the first question 'It's been an amazing year for the PlayStation brand. What's the feeling like internally now you've gone past the 100 million unit mark with PS2? ' but they don't question any of Phil's answers. I don't blame Phil for this interview at all... just the Eurogamer interviewer Ellie Gibson for having zero balls.

oh and... do people still think the handheld war in japan isn't over?

The PSP is Japan post 1943 - struggling valiantly, but everyone knows it's not coming out on top.

Pokemon is the atom bomb to make official what everyone already knows.

10 years from now, when the next batch of books that talk about video game history are released, the DS is going to go down as one of the single biggest videogaming successes of all time.

Sgt. Killjoy said:
omg i really do think they are all playing DSL. All their heads are looking towards the ground.
With that many people playing DS you'd think Nintendo would be handing out complimentary battery packs to those in line.

Diffense

I knew DS would be successful. I said it from the outset and I'm not surprised.
Essentially, nothing was different from when previous Nintendo hanhdhelds fought off competition except that the DS is better than all the gameboys. Most 'analyses' banked too much on the power of the Sony brandname on the PSP. Remember the wild predictions that people would even be returning DS hardware after PSP launched...lol.

Now for Wii vs PS3.

Diffense said:
Essentially, nothing was different from when previous Nintendo hanhdhelds fought off competition

Hey, guys, remember all those times when the GB sold 600K in a non-launch week? And remember when the GBC had the entire top ten chart to itself? And remember when the GBA had the potential to have three 3 million sellers in the top ten at the same time?

What, you don't? Why? Oh, right. That's because they never happened.

Diffense

Pureauthor said:
Hey, guys, remember all those times when the GB sold 600K in one week? And remember when the GBC had the entire top ten chart to itself? And remember when the GBA had the potential to have three 3 million sellers in the top ten at the same time?

What, you don't? Why? Oh, right. That's because they never happened.

You totally misunderstood.

Ronok

10 years from now, when the next batch of books that talk about video game history are released, the DS is going to go down as one of the single biggest videogaming successes of all time.

And it's gunna be the number one seller on NDSAdvance! Non-books are the future!

Diffense said:
You totally misunderstood.

Ah, apparently I did. My apologies.

But I still disagree. The PSPs had something from the outset that no other Nintendo handheld competitor did - significant 3rd party support.

donny2112

F#A#Oo said:

~~~~~~~~

At the end of 2005 for Europe, Japan, and the U.S., the standings were ...

PSP - 8.8 million
NDS - 13 million

That was before DS Lite.

the question isn't 'do all these people already own a DS' but more 'what do these people do with their existing DS now they have a new one.

i'm sure a good deal of them end up in the second hand shops or in family member's hands and the software sales support that belief.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
plagiarize said:
the question isn't 'do all these people already own a DS' but more 'what do these people do with their existing DS now they have a new one.

i'm sure a good deal of them end up in the second hand shops or in family member's hands and the software sales support that belief.
Yep, I wouldn't be surprised if girlfriends/wives/children end up stealing someone's DS or DSL because they play em so much, so new colors can be an excuse to buy another one.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
plagiarize said:

Yup, i'm thinking most of the people in line that are playing a DSL are buying a new one and turning it into $$$.

plagiarize said:

That's an interesting philosophy. Nintendo makes new DS colors and that increases software sales because it forces hardcore DS players to bring non-gamers into the mix?

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
kpop100 said:
look at those people in line, they don't exactly scream new DS owner to me. I bet 50%+ of that line has either a DS fat or another color lite already
I see people with PSPs and GBAs, but certainly not DS Lites.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
They're starting to build houses with them, much like the PS2 craze years ago.

Top Bottom