• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game | The Official Thread

Tensketch

maybe it'll just be errata to certain cards? Or you could mark out a couple cards in the current deck (ie, if Direct HIts go down or something) and marker over those cards with the new ones?

Someone said the back of the damage deck has a slightly different design like the pilot cards. So if you swapped them out, it would be very obvious.

Also I'm calling it now, the new TIE Swarm should be named Black TIE Dinner.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
maybe it'll just be errata to certain cards? Or you could mark out a couple cards in the current deck (ie, if Direct HIts go down or something) and marker over those cards with the new ones?

The photo of the back of the box shows that there are still 33 damage cards, so I imagine they're keeping the same ratio of direct hits.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Someone said the back of the damage deck has a slightly different design like the pilot cards. So if you swapped them out, it would be very obvious.

Also I'm calling it now, the new TIE Swarm should be named Black TIE Dinner.

Yeah. I don't mean actually swap them. Assuming the new damage deck is the only legal one, you could mark out the removed cards and add text from new ones to represent. Or better, use sleeves and insert cut outs of paper that have the updated text for cards.

Assuming this will mainly be an issue for people's second damage deck

iamcenok

Wave 7 has switched to "shipped" on FFG website, so in 7-10 days for the US.

Also, what noone expected. At all. Really.

X-wings with boost, TIE Fighters with 4 actions, and apparently two "new" factions... but I guess they will be compatible with Rebels and Imperials. Otherwise, a lot of people will be pissed.

Those look so awesome! Im just getting into the game and bought the imperial aces expansion. I was going to go out and buy the core set today, but if compatible which it appears like it might be... was there any ETA on this Ep.7 set? Leaked or official?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Those look so awesome! Im just getting into the game and bought the imperial aces expansion. I was going to go out and buy the core set today, but if compatible which it appears like it might be... was there any ETA on this Ep.7 set? Leaked or official?

We'll know everything September 4th (that's the embargo for all Star Wars merchandise) but by all accounts it should be available early Sept./right after the reveal.

iamcenok

Thanks for the quick reply!
Im rather impatient and would like to play with my friends so I'll get a core set now and the new one when it rolls out. Whenever it does.

Nete

Pilots from the new core set.

0SL0dr8.jpg

HD5DnzV.jpg

Poe: When attacking or defending, if you have a focus token, you may change 1 of your [eye] results to a [hit] or [evade] result.
Blue Ace was already known (turn template on boost).

Omega Ace: When Attacking, you may spend a focus token and a target lock you have on the defender to change all of your results to [crit] results. (!!!)
Epsilon Leader: At the start of the combat phase, remove 1 stress token from each friendly ship at range 1.
Zeta Ace: When performing a barrel roll, you may use the [straight 2] template instead of the [straight 1] template.

Also, confirmation for the 3 shields on the T-70, and the Target Lock and a Shield (!) for the TIE/fo for 3 extra points.

Interesting enough, both ships use the new ¿droid? or whatever it is.

PBalfredo

I wonder if shielded TIE/fo are canon and not just a gameplay upgrade. If so, that's one way to show the advancement of tech; it eventually gets cheap enough to slap (weak) shields on TIEs while still maintain the "quantity over quality" doctrine.

Maybe the "¿droid?" slot is like an Advance Modification, used to showcase the advance tech used for ships from the new trilogy compared to the OT ships.

Tensketch

They would be stupid not to make this game compatible. All the years releasing waves for them to scrap it all and start over because of a new trilogy will hurt sales, their reputation and their fanbase.

I'd buy a starter set and probably stop there. I've put so much money into that damn company.

In regards to the cards, epsilon leader and Howlrunner are going to be best friends, I can just feel it.
Also, Poe Dameron and R5-P9 are going to be one hell of a combination.

Nete

I have confirmation from two different stores that Wave 7 will be out this Friday (the 28th, as it was announced time ago by Edge, the local publisher), at least on Spain.

In regards to the cards, epsilon leader and Howlrunner are going to be best friends, I can just feel it.
Also, Poe Dameron and R5-P9 are going to be one hell of a combination.

Epsilon Leader seems a little insane IMO. I mean...TIE swarms will be able to K-Turn consecutively as long as Epsilon Leader is alive. Pretty crazy stuff. Then again, TIE swarms have been out of the meta for a while now so it might be just what it needs.

Tensketch

Epsilon Leader seems a little insane IMO. I mean...TIE swarms will be able to K-Turn consecutively as long as Epsilon Leader is alive. Pretty crazy stuff. Then again, TIE swarms have been out of the meta for a while now so it might be just what it needs.

you can max out a black Tie Swarm at 6, 5 zetas and Epsilon leader.

This translates directly to, you can buy 3 starter sets to do this.

It would be interesting to see if First Order swarms become a thing. Normal Tie Fighters are so devastated by well placed crits that I can imagine that a ship that is basically the same but with an extra shield might really shine.

Tensketch

I imagine the T-70's will be excellent backup for Fat Hans and Super Dash as well. Tooled up with AutoThrusters, of course.

Gonna stick my prediction neck out here, but I think that these are two new factions and won't be cross compatible with existing Rebel/Imperial armies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Double posting, but looks like the new Core Set was leaked early by Target:

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/3i9xif/force_awakens_cards/

Looks like the Resistance and First Order are just parts of the Rebels and Imperial factions after all. New Critical damage cards and upgrade cards are spoiled.

Now X-Wings and Y-Wings will be able to barrel roll with that new astromech! And HOLY SHIT at the new Tallon Roll maneuver!

whaaaaaaaaaaaa

I love the new roll! Glad it's not all separate factions. Crazy upgrades, and the new Tech slot seems really cool.

Gah I hope the other rumored two products are leaked soon. I know they're likely the X-Wing/TIEs from the core set but the new upgrades/pilot cards are gonna be awesome.

PBalfredo

Wired looks like it will take a lot of the fear out of being stressed for just one point. Could probably be used for lots of other shenanigans too. Like slapping it on Farlander if you know you're going to be jousting against higher pilot skill ships. Get stressed, used Wired as extra insurance when being attacked then cashing in the stress token when your turn to attack comes up.

Tensketch

This is great news. The fact that someone bought it means that this isn't just gonna be an announcement next Friday, it's gonna be a launch. People don't seem too hyped over the fact that THIS SET IS GOING TO LAUNCH NEXT WEEK! ONE WEEK AFTER WAVE 7!

This is great news. The fact that someone bought it means that this isn't just gonna be an announcement next Friday, it's gonna be a launch. People don't seem too hyped over the fact that THIS SET IS GOING TO LAUNCH NEXT WEEK! ONE WEEK AFTER WAVE 7!

We have a hard set date for the 2nd starter pack? I am attending a tournament on the 5th and wondering if it is gonna be legal. Be slightly hilarious running in there with ships that no one has any experience with dealing with.

Tensketch

Force Friday is the 4th of September, it is the day in which all the Force Awakens merch gets revealed and some even gets released. The fact that this guy bought a new core set from a Target who broke street date implies that these stores already have the stock, but they can't sell it yet. There's no point giving these stores the stock for something they cant sell months in advance, if that were the case, it would just stay in the warehouses.

This stock is ready to sell, a week before Force Friday, I'm telling you, this is happening next week and I am extremely hype.

Force Friday is the 4th of September, it is the day in which all the Force Awakens merch gets revealed and some even gets released. The fact that this guy bought a new core set from a Target who broke street date implies that these stores already have the stock, but they can't sell it yet. There's no point giving these stores the stock for something they cant sell months in advance, if that were the case, it would just stay in the warehouses.

This stock is ready to sell, a week before Force Friday, I'm telling you, this is happening next week and I am extremely hype.

Now I have to decide if I'm going to get one or two -_-

I imagine retailers are going to sell out immediately. I'm going to try to get it from Miniature Market or something like that since they tend to be cheaper.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Tallon Roll looks cool. The new Tech upgrade is a nice way to distinguish newer, more advanced ships.

The whole subfaction idea will give an opportunity for some interesting nuances. Like having Resistance-only upgrades that the other Rebel ships can't take ... same with First Order-only upgrades that other Imperial ships can't take.

As for the new EPT, Wired, just think of how good it'll be on Tycho with Push the Limit =) Probably better than Predator, and 2 points cheaper!

We probably haven't seen the individual T-70 X-Wing and TIE/FO Fighter expansion packs leaked because Target doesn't usually sell those ... and independently owned game stores are probably better about holding to release dates (or haven't gotten their shipments in yet).

We have a hard set date for the 2nd starter pack? I am attending a tournament on the 5th and wondering if it is gonna be legal. Be slightly hilarious running in there with ships that no one has any experience with dealing with.

The Tournament Rules say that once a product is on the market, it's legal for tournament play =P

DO IT

Nete

Fuck FFG with the new damage deck. Yeah, it was needed, but I don't like at all to be forced to buy something I don't want. It's "only" 40€, but right now I have no interest on the rest of the Core. And if the deck is required for tournaments (which would makes sense, as it's an update), the resellers out there won't be selling it for cheap like the original deck, that's for sure.

The T-70 is freaking good. Shame I don't play with Rebels. It actually makes the Defender cry.

Tensketch

oh man the look on your opponents face as you run a Poe Dameron build and throw T-Rolls all over the place will be priceless.

DO IT

Fuck FFG with the new damage deck. Yeah, it was needed, but I don't like at all to be forced to buy something I don't want. It's "only" 40€, but right now I have no interest on the rest of the Core. And if the deck is forced for tournaments, the resellers out there won't be selling it for cheap like the original deck, that's for sure.

The T-70 is freaking good. Shame I don't play with Rebels. It actually makes the Defender cry.

The rules say that if you have it, you have to use it, but doesnt say that you need it if you don't have it. I imagine not everyone will want the new core set and they'll probably reprint the original with the new deck if needed.

We'll see.

Nete

The rules say that if you have it, you have to use it, but doesnt say that you need it if you don't have it. I imagine not everyone will want the new core set and they'll probably reprint the original with the new deck if needed.

We'll see.

Yep, I've just seen the comment on Reddit about this. Seems a nice touch by FFG, but ironically I think it favors those who don't buy the new Core, as not all the cards on the old deck *will* mess with any of your ships one way or another.

Tensketch

It probably depends on what list youre running. Kinda like choosing the lesser of two evils.

Lists like super Dash will benefit from the new deck, as you'll never become useless, whereas other lists will benefit from the old deck.

Nete

Btw, do you realise there will probably be extra unannounced ships for Wave 8, right? At least one for the First Order and one for the Resistance.

I'm starting to feel like the game is surpassing me. Not a good feeling.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Btw, do you realise there will probably be extra unannounced ships for Wave 8, right? At least one for the First Order and one for the Resistance.

I'm starting to feel like the game is surpassing me. Not a good feeling.

I dunno, I love it. I wish Armada was in this much full swing.

Tensketch

I think the general feeling of the game surpassing people comes from the fact that this time last year, we had the dock strike causing a 6 month delay on waves 5 & 6 along with Rebel Aces, so it felt like each wave had ages between.

However, the original plan was always to be a steady flow of content like their card games and now the dock strike is over, we're getting it in full swing and are being bombarded with content. I personally love it, but I can see why it would become somewhat overwhelming.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The frequency of releases is getting a little crazy from a financial standpoint. It was like this for most of last year into early this year, too. Look at the game's releases in this way, if you buy one of each SKU at MSRP:

Sept. 2012 to Sept. 2013 (12 months): $273
Sept. 2013 to March 2014 (6 months): nothing
March 2014 to Feb. 2015 (11 months): $525
Feb. 2015 to Aug. 2015 (6 months): nothing
Aug. 2015 to Feb. 2016 (6 months): $420

That's assuming we don't get two more $15 expansion packs to take up those two unreleased SKUs — but we likely will, making that Aug. 2015 to Feb. 2016 number go up to $450.

(Here's a breakdown of each release by month with MSRP, for the curious)
Code:
Sept. 2012: Core Set, Wave 1		$100
Oct. 2012: Dice Pack			$8
Feb. 2013: Wave 2			$90
Sept. 2013: Wave 3			$75
March 2014: Imperial Aces		$30
April 2014: Rebel Transport		$60
May 2014: Tantive IV			$90
June 2014: Wave 4			$60
Sept. 2014: Rebel Aces			$30
Nov. 2014: Wave 5			$70
Feb. 2015: Playmats, Wave 6		$185
Aug. 2015: Imperial Raider, Wave 7	$195
Sept. 2015: Core Set 2.0		$40
Dec. 2015?: Assault Carrier		$70
Feb. 2016?: Wave 8			$115

Oh, BTW, the Gozanti Assault Carrier went from "in development" to "at the printer" yesterday, according to FFG's Upcoming page, making it look more likely that it'll be out before the end of the year:

Tq4EL1m.jpg

Tensketch

every time I see a post talking about the financial impact this game has, I think about how much my dad has spent on 40k and I suddenly feel a lot better.

But I do see your point. It's a pricey hobby.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Sure, X-Wing isn't nearly as bad as 40k or other miniatures games.

My main point, though, wasn't that X-Wing is pricey, but rather that it's pricey in spurts. We'll go half a year with nothing new to buy, then have hundreds of dollars worth of releases in sequential months. I think it would be better if it were more regular. I'm sure FFG would agree and is doing their best, though.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't play Armada, but I know some of you guys do ... FFG just announced Kessel Run-like preview tournaments for Armada's Wave 2: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/8/25/the-massing-at-sullust/

They'll be called "Massing at Sullust" and they'll be Oct. 2 through 4. Looks like top four gets his choice (in the order that you finished) among the five ships coming out for Wave 2. Tournament organizer gets the unclaimed fifth ship.

Tensketch

I failed to also consider the inevitable TIE/FO expansion set...fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. Too many things!

well given that Hasbro release their Force Awakens toy catalogue recently...

There'll be one for this too:
Special Forces First Order Tie Fighter
IjNmcX2.jpg

which, recent toy previews have revealed, has a rear gun, underside turret and a gunner seat. But I imagine it'll just have a rear firing arc and no crew, similar to the Y-Wing which is a 2 seater, the turret counted as the gunner.

And possibly one for this:
Poe Dameron's X-Wing
NSeybzv.jpg

They're keeping details about this X-Wing quiet. So no idea what extras come with this.

Tensketch

I just got my email to say my pre-order will be shipping today. I was hoping it would be earlier so my weekly X-Wing night I help run on Fridays would be a super exciting one.

Oh well, next weeks will be great.

I just got my email to say my pre-order will be shipping today. I was hoping it would be earlier so my weekly X-Wing night I help run on Fridays would be a super exciting one.

Oh well, next weeks will be great.

Yeah it would have been awesome if somehow I was able to get them for the weekend, but estimated delivery is Weds next week.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
argh

brb taking out a loan to pay for x-wing

BRB, FFG's Upcoming page now says that Wave 7 ships are "in stores," so the "it's in stores!" article should be posted later today.

Tensketch

So my nan just text me a few minutes ago:

"Parcel has arrived for you x"

I use my nans place for large parcels as she's always in and willing to keep hold of them until I get home.

There's only 1 parcel I've got sent to hers recently, and it's Wave 7.

X-WING CHRISTMAS HAS BEGUN

God damn, wait is killing me. I need my Space Dustbuster 3000 AKA Hounds Tooth. Local shop says the delivery will likely be by Tuesday but the Monday is a bank holiday so delivery times for next week are a little unpredictable.

Top Bottom