• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AngryCentaurGaming (ACG) needs your help (youtube problems/demonetazion)

Karak

I would have to imagine the reason that he pays for everything he reviews is to kill ANY thoughts of favoring. Example. For my wrestling Podcast we have the owner of our local NWA promotion on pretty often. Me and my cohost love wrestling and NWA Smoky Mountain is a fantastic promotion so we talk about it even when the owner is on. It's insane how many people reach out to us saying we only talk about NWASM because we get the owner on. And it's just not true, not at all. So if he can do the review after spending his own money, the fact it was "free" can't jade his opinion at all.

I might be way off on this, but I don't think I am.

While I have covered this tons of times in videos its probably good to pop this in here and in no way is this a call for support. This is the normal info I give randomly at times on the channel as this happens to be one of the things I did at my prior employment. I most likely wont even post again in here as it feels all weird lol

Patron poll indicting top reasons for supporting the channel were,
1 Buying of games to review
2 No sponsorship.
3 Reviewer knowledge and delivery
4 Developer Feedback/Mentions by developers concerning ACG's knowledge

Survey results performed randomly at 8 months and again at 13
61% of patrons responding to poll indicate they would drop support if they games were not purchased.

75% of patrons responding to poll indicate they would drop support if sponsorship of any kind were taken.

Survey monkey poll I did awhile ago for none patrons just watching the channel and twitter, they could pick multipule choice.

80% of watchers indicate they watch due to knowledge of reviewer
73% of watchers indicate they watch due to lack of sponsorship deals
65% of watchers indicated watching due to reviewer purchasing games.

In the end, it just it was it is. Some like it and will support it, others don't and wont understand where the other half is coming from. Basically like everything in life. But almost everyone will think they have a better plan and thats fine.

@MUWANdo

Banned
One thing that gets discussed a lot here is what salary is 'enough', we had the same discussion with SIFTD, where everybody told Shane to move out of his office and cut down on costs like expensive audio/visual equipment.

The difference with that conversation is that Shane barely made use of any of that stuff--he keeps insisting he has big plans that require the office or whatever but it's been years and he doesn't have much to show for it. It's not that people were telling him his content only merited x amount of money, they were telling him to stop kidding himself and to be realistic about what it is that he's actually offering.

Vire

I have no idea how much Patreon takes but $6000 a month isn't enough? 72,000 plus whatever ACG makes from YouTube... Really doesn't sound so bad to me.

However, I do love his reviews. Truly the best reviewer in the industry at the moment. I watched the IGN review of Uncharted and it was laughable by comparison to the nuance provided in ACG's.

Wish you the best Karak

While I have covered this tons of times in videos its probably good to pop this in here and in no way is this a call for support. This is the normal info I give randomly at times on the channel as this happens to be one of the things I did at my prior employment. I most likely wont even post again in here as it feels all weird lol

Patron poll indicting top reasons for supporting the channel were,
1 Buying of games to review
2 No sponsorship.
3 Reviewer knowledge and delivery
4 Developer Feedback/Mentions by developers concerning ACG's knowledge

61% of patrons responding to poll indicate they would drop support if they games were not purchased.

75% of patrons responding to poll indicate they would drop support if sponsorship of any kind were taken.

Survey monkey poll I did awhile ago for none patrons just watching the channel and twitter, they could pick multipule choice.

80% of watchers indicate they watch due to knowledge of reviewer
73% of watchers indicate they watch due to lack of sponsorship deals
65% of watchers indicated watching due to reviewer purchasing games.

In the end, it just it was it is. Some like it and will support it, others don't and wont understand where the other half is coming from. Basically like everything in life. But almost everyone will think they have a better plan and thats fine.

Love your work, it's always the first review that I look for. I know i've said it before but I'll say it again best reviewer on youtube by a mile. For someone like myself who cares about details, no one gives more!

Jimrpg

I would have to imagine the reason that he pays for everything he reviews is to kill ANY thoughts of favoring. Example. For my wrestling Podcast we have the owner of our local NWA promotion on pretty often. Me and my cohost love wrestling and NWA Smoky Mountain is a fantastic promotion so we talk about it even when the owner is on. It's insane how many people reach out to us saying we only talk about NWASM because we get the owner on. And it's just not true, not at all. So if he can do the review after spending his own money, the fact it was "free" can't jade his opinion at all.

I might be way off on this, but I don't think I am.

You're not wrong. But many reviewers play review copies for free and give reasonable reviews just fine. IGN, Eurogamer etc. If he wants to give away games from out of his own pocket, that's fine but if we're talking about cost cutting, I don't think he needs to give away all a copy of every game he reviews. And his audience is generally adult well informed gamers at least right now it is, and I haven't ever felt like his opinion has been influenced because of a review copy.

Conan-san

The way Google has gone about all this makes me think that this was always the end goal; to essentially demonitize every small to lower mid-tier creator and that the events of the last week and a bit were a convenient excuse to remove any fault from themselves and make out to be the good guys protecting the public from the evils of disagreeing with Google's political stances, or, failing that, the devil you know.

Hell, I think even Paul Marketing is being gaslight on the situation, it's that bad.

Jimrpg

Cool stat. I can definitely see why I guess, they're paying for you to buy the game. But if that's your audience I guess that's part of your costs then.

UrbanRats

I have no idea how much Patreon takes but $6000 a month isn't enough?
Patreon takes "5% of successfully-processed payments".

The number you see there, however, is AFTER the Patreon cut, IIRC.
If you were to add up all the pledges on the side bar together, you'd get a higher number (which would be the number with Patreon's share included).

TriAceJP

A lot of people in this thread are coming off like the kind of people who read the magazine at the market and throw it back on the rack when they are done.

A lot of people in this thread are coming off like the kind of people who read the magazine at the market and throw it back on the rack when they are done.

Not sure I follow. Plenty of people make content on youtube, spending time and make barely anything from it and people watch it and move on. Its part of the platform.

I didn't know I had to pay to watch youtube?

You don't. And while I don't agree with the magazine comparison I'll say this. If someone you enjoy is making content and they ask for help you don't have to help them. But then you can't be surprised if the quality, quantity, or both of content start to come way down.

Lots of salty people demonizing patreon because they have the personality of a damp towel and could never cultivate a fanbase dedicated enough to pay their bills lol

You don't. And while I don't agree with the magazine comparison I'll say this. If someone you enjoy is making content and they ask for help you don't have to help them. But then you can't be surprised if the quality, quantity, or both of content start to come way down.
And ultimately he's the first guy I go to for reviews of games. If he's out, I'm essentially not interested in video reviews anymore since others tend to bore me or don't present me with enough information.

Top Bottom