• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that gave you the greatest feelings of exploration and adventure?

Broken Sword 1 + 2
Shenmue 1 + 2
Final Fantasy 7/8/9
The Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
The Longest Journey
Grim Fandango
Ni no Kuni

Definitely not anything with an open-world setting.

panda-zebra

latest

Oblivion. The music, the size, the hidden locations, crazy side quests, so so good.

CRM4sA8.gif

First game to do it for me was Elder scrolls Oblivion. Everything felt so big and like there was something new and awesome right over the next hill.

Witcher 3 most recently was just amazing, going through forests or mountains seamlessly was great. Really felt like a real place.

owasog

Riven
Thief: The Dark Project
Unreal
Planescape: Torment
Morrowind (and Oblivion, Skyrim, FO3/NV/4)
Uru
The Witcher
Mass Effect Trilogy
Dishonored
Far Cry 4

Riven, Unreal, Thief and Morrowind were the first game worlds that felt like real places to me. The atmosphere in these games is off the charts.

butman

Dark Souls
Bloodborne
The Witcher 3
Symphony of The Night
Dishonored
Ni no Kuni
Xenoblade Chronicles
Grandia
Final Fantasy XV (Chapter 3)
Gothic

Ghgghggh

Banned
Riven
Thief: The Dark Project
Unreal
Planescape: Torment
Morrowind (and Oblivion, Skyrim, FO3/NV/4)
Uru
The Witcher
Mass Effect Trilogy
Dishonored
Far Cry 4

Riven, Unreal, Thief and Morrowind were the first game worlds that felt like real places to me. The atmosphere in these games is off the charts.

Thank you. I knew I was forgetting something. Myst and Riven. I love those names!

Marker007

I will never forget the feeling of awe I felt when first climbing to the top of the End of the World wall in Grandia on PS1. The scene when you approach the bottom of the wall had such an amazing score.

Nev

Banned
All the souls games. The best feeling of exploration and adventure goes to DS1 though. It felt like such a huge journey. Funny because nowadays I can rush the lordvessel in 1~ hour.

Lately, Uncharted 4. The boat level was awesome. Would've been much better though without the annoying omnipresent brother and his useless Druckmann dialogue.

RedSwirl

To the people mentioning Grandia: Are you talking about Grandia 1? Because Grandia 2 is linear as hell. I've had a copy of Grandia 1 sitting on my shelf for a few years now but never got around to doing anything past the very beginning (I think that was just to see if the disc worked).

IC5

Morrowind for exploration

Okami for adventurous spirit

Runners up would be Demon's Souls and Snake Eater

Wireframe

Xenoblade and skies are solid picks OP, I really need to get round to opening my launch copy of black flag and play skyrim/oblivion too.

Weston

Not big by today's standards, but Halo 1 seemed huge at the time. In the second level driving around a Warthog and watching Covenant jump out of a ship just blew me away.

TheTeacher

Neo Member
gsmap3-1024x768.jpg

Golden Sun I & II

Back in 2001, playing Golden Sun on the go was an amazing experience. I spent hours playing these two handheld masterpieces. The world was enormous for me at the time and I have barely ever felt that sense of exploration and wonder since. The soundtrack is, to this day, one of my favourite from the industry.

----

are-rockstar-games-teasing-red-dead-redemption-2-as-a-remake-or-a-prequel.jpg

Red Dead Redemption

Modern gem. My GOTG. Soundtrack, atmosphere, setting, art style.. everything about the game was top draw. Exploration was simple horse riding was a joy simply due to the gorgeous world Rockstar managed to come up with.

RDR is a system seller. I got into the PS360 era when it got released. Making the jump to PS4 this year in anticipation of RDR2.

----

I am hoping (hyping) that in a month or so I'll have Breath of the Wild added to this list.

Top Bottom