• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that gave you the greatest feelings of exploration and adventure?

Skyrim sticks out as the most memorable to me. I absolutely got lost in the game world and loved every second of it.
Other notables are Assassins creed 4 black flag, Dragon Quest 8, and Final Fantasy 12.

Gothic 2, no competition. The Gothic games were the first RPGs I played though, so probably that plays a part. But I just love that you can reach absolutely every location you can see.

Castle ruins in the distance? Yup, you can go there.

6393_2004-03-22_09-722671_640w.jpg

Was gonna say this as well. Fantastic games.

Bethesda's games take the cake here for me, while other games like Witcher 3 do the large scale better, I've always appreciated the micro detail in Elder Scrolls and Fallout. They're second to none in crafting worlds, even FO4 which I disliked was fun to explore.

Rozart

Any of the Soulsborne games. But Dark Souls 1 in particular did it best.

I love it when games reward me for finding secret hidden nooks and From's games (and recently, Nioh too to an extent) are the only games that really scratch that itch for me.

Rathorial

The Witcher 3
Planescape Torment
Deus Ex series (minus Invisible War)
Dishonored 1-2
Invisible Inc.
Divinity: Original Sin
Fallout mainline series + New Vegas
Skyrim
Skies of Arcadia

The original Pokemon Red and Blue were probably the GOAT for me personally. I was just played at the right age and time for those games to be completely mysterious and awe-inspiring. This was before the trend really took off and before all 150 Pokemon were well known because of the TV show.

It's something I don't think I could ever relive or experience again, even with similar games or franchises. Just the idea that there are countless unknown monsters out there, some of which are legends and myths, was just a great experience to have as a child.

The Witcher 3 for me, definitely.
The way that the forests and farmlands feel so organic and laid out in a way that gives off a feeling of scale without being too over the top with size. Moving from place to place felt like a journey even though the distances covered aren't very great, the design of the landscapes carry that epic feel.
Also helps that the world has a distinctive Eastern Europe feel that feels distant enough from Tolkien that it feels fresh, but still familiar. It really made me feel that sense of history, and that contributed to the epic adventure experience that I had with the game.

A runner-up would be Bloodborne, but that's more to the engagement I had with the level designs and environmental storytelling that made it such a joy to explore.

moniker

Older - Gothic 2.
Newer - Vivecraft.

I never "got" Minecraft before VR. But stumbling upon, and exploring a large cave system in VR is awesome.

Y'all don't even know till you've played Minecraft VR with a Vive and a lot of room. You. Don't. Even. Know.

As for non VR games though?

Skyrim

TW3

And Dragons Dongma Dark Arisen which I am playing now. You can really get overwhelmed with how big everything is. The detail and scale is fantastic. Everywhere you look there is something you want to explore.

Raab

Neo Member
Something different from what most have already said (W3, Zelda, Elder Scrolls) Halo CE and 2. Spent countless nights with my cousins glitching or superbouncing to places the game didn't intend. I loved the physics from Halo CE and the fun ways to get out of the gamespace.

Something different from what most have already said (W3, Zelda, Elder Scrolls) Halo CE and 2. Spent countless nights with my cousins glitching or superbouncing to places the game didn't intend. I loved the physics from Halo CE and the fun ways to get out of the gamespace.

Oh yeah, the Halo games definitely do it for me as well. So do the AssCreed games. Dishonored as well. The first one anyway, it was one of my favorite games of all time but I am afraid of the bad PC port. :(

requiem02

Banned
In the order I played them:

Fantastic Dizzy
Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask
GTA San Andreas
Fallout 3
Red Dead Redemption
Skyrim

Final Fantasy games like VII felt ridiculously expansive when I first played them, but not so much in hindsight so I omitted them.

Ghgghggh

Banned
Ultima 8
Baulders Gate 1 / 2
MARIO 64
Ocarina of Time
Majoras Mask
Ultima 9
Morrowind
Gothic II
Metroid Prime
Resident Evil 4
Elder Scrolls Oblivion
Witcher 3

Im sure I'm missing a few...

Thumbs up, OP. Xenoblade Chronicles gave me a feeling of adventure that almost no other game has.

(Modded) Skyrim also did it. The base game already has lots of great areas to explore, and there's plenty of great mods that add even more places and NPCs to make the world more vibrant.

zenspider

Zelda 1
Dark Souls
Xenoblade Chronicles X

What I particularly loved about XCX that doesn't get mentioned enough is that the exploration is supported by the narrative. Most open world games have a false sense of urgency in the main quest line, and keep the side content feeling optional. It creates a dissonance, where I often feel virtual guilt for faffing about while some pressing matter is happening, but not actually happening until I get there.

XCX is the opposite: your mandate is to explore and chart Mira, while quests like "OMG we got to catch this guy before he does something terrible" is side content. I wish more open world designers took note, though I think recently FFXV struck an O.K. balance, but at the expense of the impact of the main storyline (for some). I would even welcome timed events, but those might feel a bit too MMO-ish.

I'll go with Fallout 3 and FFXV.

Metroid Prime does very well at making it feel like you're in alien worlds, but it's way too obvious that you're traversing from one 'room' to another. Mass Effect too, to a lesser extent; you don't get the illusion that you're free to explore, you're stuck in boxes.

dickroach

Vice City
I feel like I played that game for 50 hours and did five missions. I had adventures, just not the ones the game intended

Kaji AF16

Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Red Dead Redemption have already been mentioned, but I loved exploring those universes.

That said, I will never forget roaming the Okaar forests in Outcast. Incredible sense of mystery, even if it was ultimately relatively barren -and rather small, by modern standards-. The Gorgor hunt was also a short but unforgettable adventure.

Skyrender10

Neo Member
Zelda alttp
Zelda oot
Ffvii
Chrono trigger
Final fantasy ix
Final fantasy XII
The dungeons in ffxv
Xenoblade x
Xenoblade
Fallout 3
Divine divinity

watershed

Banned
SOTC really did it for me. The scale and atmosphere of the world really sent the message that this game is special and epic things and ONLY epic things are going to happen in this game. Every fight is a boss fight and getting to each colossi was a journey. Great sense of exploration and adventure.

Norse

For me it's EverQuest back in 1999. That game just grabbed me because exploring was the only way to truely learn how to get from one place to the next. Making your first run from everfrost to the next town was filled with dangers and unknowns that took a pretty long time. Edge of your seat stress and excitement the entire time.

ncslamm

My short time spent with World of Warcraft. I was completely sucked in and played on a RP server with some RL friends. I haven't been so absorbed in a game in a long time.

I don't care what anyone says about Hoenn. The surfing actually made me feel like I was on an adventure exploring the seas with my Pokemon. Damn I love Hoenn.

Bl@de

Gothic 2, no competition. The Gothic games were the first RPGs I played though, so probably that plays a part. But I just love that you can reach absolutely every location you can see.

Castle ruins in the distance? Yup, you can go there.

6393_2004-03-22_09-722671_640w.jpg

Yep. Handcrafted world and everywhere is something special. Along with no minimap and floating questmarkers.

20150217102434346.jpg

Malawhur

Uncharted series made me feel like I am on an adventure like no other game did. It does not have exploration but still...

Ventara

Xenoblade Chronicles. When you first get control of Shulk near the beginning, or when you first enter Gaur Plains, or when you first see the giant Mechonis looming over you as you come out of the cave. Those are some of my favourite gaming moments that will stay with me for a long time. The feelings of awe and wonder that I got that I was on some grand adventure with an amazing world to explore has yet to be matched by any other game. XCX had a better world to explore, but it just somehow failed to capture those moments that XC had.

for me it has less to do with the games and more to do with my age when playing them

ocarina of time & pokemon blue for being on an adventure

doom & all the n64 collect-a-thons for having lots of exploration

Top Bottom