• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that gave you the greatest feelings of exploration and adventure?

hydruxo

Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 3, NV, + 4, Oblivion

Also I'm assuming Horizon will take the cake in the exploration/adventure category for me on Tuesday. Can't wait.

poodaddy

Probably The Witcher 3 and Chrono Trigger for me. Sorry if that's too obvious but they're superb in that arena for me. Currently FFXV is doing alright for me there, but it isn't hitting me like I thought it would in that regard. Honorable mention to Xenoblade Chronicles and FF VIII. I don't really care much for VIII in general, but it's actually one of the best FF's as far as rewarding exploration and going off the beaten path in my opinion, as well as FFIX.

AtlAntA

Assassins Creed 4

The sailing, the shanties, landing on a new undiscovered islands, plundering forts.

1374511833-caribbean-sea-spyglass.jpg

Yes! Finished this game 4 times now and the only thing i dislike is the modern stuff and the templar shit.

Skyrim is a contender as well. I accidentally stumbled upon that underground glowy world (forgot the name) and i was genuinely amazed for over half an hour.

Xenoblade X. Just running around a giant map with interesting scenery and design, seeing all the giant alien lifeforms. Its exactly how I would imagine exploring an alien planet. And then eventually you can fly and its amazing to see the world from high above.

Also shout out to Etrian Odyssey. I get such a great feeling from exploring and adventuring wondering around tiny cute creatures that can murder me while I draw up a map of wear I've just been and where I'm about to go.

Gothic 2, no competition. The Gothic games were the first RPGs I played though, so probably that plays a part. But I just love that you can reach absolutely every location you can see.

Castle ruins in the distance? Yup, you can go there.

6393_2004-03-22_09-722671_640w.jpg

CHC

The swelling of nostalgia I feel even from quickly looking at that map is just unreal.

I remember sitting at my tiny desk in my tiny bedroom at my dad's place scouring every inch of Vvardenfell. My copy of the map that came with the game had holes along the creases because I looked at it so much. What a game that was.

Peroroncino

Well only two games came instantly to my mind after reading the title, so I guess there's no point in trying to mull over this too much, The Witcher 3 and Final Fantasy IX.

Skellige islands and Northern Kingdoms were a joy to explore, be it by foot, our trusty steed or by boat, but of course CDPR being CDPR had to one up it, so we also got Toussaint. Going through ravaged battlefields, markets in novigrad, viking strongholds, various islands or just strolling through a beautiful renaissance city of Beauclair is simply an experience I will never forget.

As for FFIX, constantly changing environments really resonated with me, going from various cities, villages and capitals through forests, deserts or icy tundras up until age old castles/dungeons or big fucking magic trees, all that with a great party to boot. It simply felt like an amazing adventure that still stands out in my mind, even after all those years.

bluethree

The OP listed Skies of Arcadia but I'll mention again. It's in my top 5 of all time for a reason. Just nails the formula and sense of adventure that comes with a good RPG.

Justinh

Ocarina of Time and The Witcher 3 for me.

In each game, when I was first playing I would ignore the main objectives first (as I often do in games) and would just go "that way."

Dark Souls is another one, as I would get really familiar with an area as I would inch forward ever so slowly as I stumble my way the first time I play these games (I get scared lol).

Oblivion is another one where I would just "go that way" for a while and see what I stumbled upon. I played that game for days at a time. When I first got it for my 360 my friend just stayed at my place and we'd rotate between playing and sleeping. We played so much of that game in like 2 weeks.

zoodoo

Super metroid

Dah!!!
You are left on a planet to explore. No objective, no waypoint, just go wherever you can and explore.

Raiden

Banned
Honestly it was World of Warcraft for me. First MMO and honestly one of my first games on PC. Starting in Elwyn Forest and then to Stormwind left a huge impact on me.

It's getting harder for me to feel that with open world games these days unless the world is immaculately designed (GTAV) and even then once you get the gist of the layout it loses that sparkle of discovery. Nowadays its mostly things with more linear progression, recent example being The Last Guardian. That Team Ico feeling of mystery to the world and lore that just seems to deepen the further you explore its unique architecture and get snippets of its history through environmental storytelling, that's the shit I like, tell it with the world vs convoluted dialogue. Then again old crpgs were rife with text world building but that does wonders to fleshing out things too with the proper writer at the helm.

Another one would be Inside, slowly pull back the curtain on the world and its logic, denizens, and mechanisms with the right kind of pacing and puzzling, and ofc that gorgeous animation makes for a lot of the personality and proper narrative framing. It makes for an utterly engrossing universe to explore and witness.

The slight resurgence of point and click (and general action-lite adventure games) titles also gives some of the most rewarding feelings of exploration due to drinking in the details of those single screen locations and your mind filling in all sorts of gaps. Highlights of the older stuff include Myst/Riven, The Neverhood, all the classic Lucasarts pnc games, The Longest Journey, and more recent fare like Kentucky Route Zero and the Amanita Design catalog (Machinarium, Samorost, Botanicula).

All that said still very excited for BOTW, from early previews/reviews knowing they have taken pains to ensure proper density of unique locations is paramount to keeping me engrossed in an open world. And ofc that Switch event Ghibli-esque trailer didn't hurt my hype none either :p

Gothic 1/2 is way better than Risen fam.

gothic 2 > risen > gothic 1

is the correct order

Yea, I've heard this game praised a lot in comparison to modern RPGs. Someone posted this about Gothic 2 in a thread:

As much as I love The Witcher 3 this is pretty accurate and valid for most AAA RPGs nowadays. Turning off points of interests helps a bit but doesn't solve the core problem, namely that the game is designed around the concept of quest markers or analogues.

Souls games and Bloodborne really scratch the exploration itch for me. Sense of Adventure uncharted 2 did that really well.

The thing about exploration is that most open world games are big and open but I find them dull and not worth exploring. Based on impressions, both Horizon and BoTW sounds promissing though

I think the first game that really did this for me was Knights of the Old Republic. It captured the epic scope of Star Wars with an original story that still felt right at home in the world.

Amory

For me, nothing will beat Oblivion. It was the first game I ever played that felt like I was making my own story while just trekking around exploring the massive world. I put so many hours into that game. Hundreds.

Skyrim was an objectively better game, but Oblivion was my first experience with that kind of freedom

AudioEppa

For adventure in the past it would be GTA SA and Broken Sword 1/2.

But my current favorite would have to be Uncharted 4. From beginning to end it felt so cool going from work and home. To exploring all the different locations around the globe. Naughty Dog really outdid themselves with making drakes last journey be a true adventure.

Pretty much every Zelda game. Also:

Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy
GTA series
Morrowind
Shadow of the Colossus
Burnout Paradise
Souls series

jdstorm

Banned
Mass Effect series
Uncharted series
Zelda series
Assasins Creed 2 and 4
Final Fantasy series (especially 6, 10 and 15)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
To me, it will always be Oblivion. Really my introduction to big open-world games like this and yes while I've gone back to play Morrowind as well, Oblivion will always have a very special place in my gaming heart.

I couldn't fathom a game which throws you into a huge world and lets you go from one end of the world to another. The fact that Oblivion looked pretty damn good (sans character models) for it's time was icing on the cake.

Fr8zgZC.jpg

EverQuest

maxresdefault.jpg

That feeling of trekking across the wilderness, coming to a port, getting onto a boat, and heading off into the unknown, was - and still is - simply like nothing else.

Tigel

Final Fantasy XI. Going on a long trek from town or outpost without a map was something else. No way-markers and giveaway locations like in XIV. Sometimes even with a map you had to use your sense of direction to find your way. Loved finding some obscure hidden entrance to a dungeon that's off the beaten path. Exploring Vanadiel was some of the best exploration ever. It's world and its history felt tangible too.
This is my answer as well.

That feeling when I did my first trek from Sandoria to Jeunot with 2 other friends, while sneaking past dangerous monsters and trying not to get lost was something else.

No fast travel bullshit, just some good old school exploration. Loved it.

Lady Gaia

Dark Souls has already been cited, and it's definitely one where exploration was rewarded. It is not, however, grand enough in scale to lodge in my memory as the most remarkable example. Each new area in Dragon Age: Inquisition, on the other hand, felt like it was unique enough but also large enough in scope to truly reward exploration. The game had plenty of other issues, but wandering around the Storm Coast finding abandoned campsites with notes left behind for reasons only tangentially related to the story left a real impression.

I look forward to seeing if that feeling carries forward to Mass Effect: Andromeda, with plenty of opportunity in Horizon: Zero Dawn and Zelda to discover new environments to explore in the meantime.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I agree with Dark Souls. Skyrim was another one. Mass Effect.

I would say Final Fantasy, but everything felt closeted because it's still linear due to progression. You're always set to do so many things and not all of it is high level. Sure there's a few high level enemies but that's about it.
XV's car probably helped make it feel like you were moving along, but the side areas felt underwhelming at times.
I like progression in unmanned terrorities.

Nioh makes me feel that way unless I'm stuck. I guess there's a huge contradiction because most games do this unless you're use to it. The Division did it, expect it was a shooter through and through. You weren't necessarily captivated beyond reaching the next area.

More games need a larger variety of level designs to do this. It starts off great and it seems to suffer if it gets repetitive or there isn't enough level design to keep the person thinking it'll change more often than not.

Games need a large variety of level design. If it continuously flows then that's a huge Plus + in my books.

I hate how some games make you explore the swamp or the mines. Something needs to keep changing. Weather or atmosphere need to change.

Sometimes it feels like developers want you to feel their wrath by taking you somewhere conveluted or places where you feel like you're caved in. That sucks if you're legitimately enjoying the game.

RedSwirl

Most Zelda games
Mega Man Legends
Okami
Skies of Arcadia
Mass Effect 1
Space Engine
Ultima Underworld 1
Metroid Prime
Most old school-style JRPGs (think pre-FF7)
Colossus
Deus Ex 1

Yea, I've heard this game praised a lot in comparison to modern RPGs. Someone posted this about Gothic 2 in a thread:

This image is probably right, but as soon as I started Witcher 3 I turned off the points of interest on the map. I think that immediately made my experience much better. With the exception of the ones out in the sea in Skellige, I still stumbled upon almost all of the question marks through normal exploration.

And I admit that over-reliance on Witcher sense is probably my one big gripe with Witcher 3.

Overall, Witcher 3 still had one of my favorite 3D game worlds to traverse probably since Ocarina of Time. Definitely my favorite modern open world so far.

odhiex

I loved exploring the wild west in Red Dead Redemption. One of my favorite open world games last gen.

Tenshin

Witcher series definitely...then fallout or elderscrolls for single player.. Finalfantasy XI for multi...

EverQuest 1

There never has and never will be anything else like it in the history of video games. Those who played, know. Those who didn't will say some other game, completely oblivious to what they missed out on.

Top Bottom