• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamestop- Trade in your Wii U for $120 plus $75 extra

Madao

that only seems good if you only owned the games that are getting Switch ports (i suspect a lot of people then since MK8 and Splatoon sold way more than most other Wii U games. in the case of Splatoon, i guess the sequel makes the first one redundant.)

Can I use that money on anything? Or is it just limited to gamestop?

the extra cash is specfically for a trade in towards the Wii U

But in theory maybe you could play coy, say you're reserving it, and then only put the minimum towards the reservation, then keep the rest as gamestop credit. Day of reservation say you switched your mind or some shit.

OneUh8

I considered trading in my launch PS4 towards the switch, but I think I will just keep it. But they did offer $200 for it towards a switch. Just put the $50 down for now.

Flakster99

Sounds like a fantastic deal. However, I have hundreds of dollars invested in the VC that was imported from the WIi to the Wii U, some of i tI still go back to, so that is a deal breaker for me. :(

An account system where they recognize my VC purchases and to have them carry over to The Switch, for a small fee of course, would be incredibly ideal.

Plasmid

No thanks. I like packing up my old consoles and games. When my kids reach the singularity they can laugh at my primitive tech.

the extra cash is specfically for a trade in towards the Wii U

But in theory maybe you could play coy, say you're reserving it, and then only put the minimum towards the reservation, then keep the rest as gamestop credit. Day of reservation say you switched your mind or some shit.

In theory you are supposed to lose your "bonus" trade value if you change your mind. ie: you will get your $120 but the $75 bonus is lost. Also for this deal to work you are supposed to put the entire trade value you get towards that pre-order. No trading + $50 deposit.

Jmille99

does gamestop accept 8gb wii us?

According to the app at the moment:

6E7F30E8-6274-42B0-80A5-AC3FB4642561.png

I want to hop on this, but Im worried a pre-order (if still available through Gamestop) would go unfulfilled.

Davilmar

I barely bought my Wii U from Craiglist nearly four months ago for $200 with the box, console, several games, controllers and accessories. Rarely have I ever seen a GameStop deal worth it for consoles, and I didn't like much of anything I heard form the Switch presentation yesterday. I'm gonna say "nah," and keep my Wii U for years to come.

In theory you are supposed to lose your "bonus" trade value if you change your mind. ie: you will get your $120 but the $75 bonus is lost. Also for this deal to work you are supposed to put the entire trade value you get towards that pre-order. No trading + $50 deposit.

I've done this at least 30 times. Never have I lost the bonus. It's definitely not a store policy.

Huh. Welp, nevermind then. Doesn't matter since I put it all towards paying it all off fully.

According to the app at the moment:

6E7F30E8-6274-42B0-80A5-AC3FB4642561.png

I want to hop on this, but Im worried a pre-order (if still available through Gamestop) would go unfulfilled.

Just check with one of your local gamestops if they are completely booked on the switches they're getting.

I've done this at least 30 times. Never have I lost the bonus. It's definitely not a store policy.

All I know is that the guy told me I could put $50 towards the switch. I think the only condition is you have to put the minimum towards the switch at the least.

All I know is that the guy told me I could put $50 towards the switch. I think the only condition is you have to put the minimum towards the switch at the least.

Yup, that you have to do. You can cancel it right away though if you wanted. I never wait until the product comes out; I'm not going to make that second trip and waste my time. Once they give you the credit, it's your store credit, they literally cannot take it away.

Trading in my Wii and Wii U tonight while the getting is good.

Instro

Debating at the moment. On one hand I don't normally trade in systems, but on the other hand I have no intention of turning my WiiU on again, and I'd rather play Zelda on the Switch. Getting this deal now could be a hell of lot better than what is offered down the road, even if the price drops on the Switch.

Revven

This is a really tempting deal and I probably would have done it had Nintendo...

-Released MK8 Deluxe launch day
-Showed Smash Bros for Switch (the Smash port that's been rumored) and given a release estimate (whether summer 2017 or holiday 2017)
-PlatinumGames collection (Bayo 1, Bayo 2, W101)

The latter is obviously just a fantasy land idea but the former two are ones that could have easily happened but Nintendo is gonna Nintendo.

I can't part with my Wii U when I have games like W101, Bayo 1, Bayo 2, DKCTF, Smash, WWHD, TPHD, & more. A lot of which aren't guaranteed to be ported to the Switch. Namely the three PlatinumGames titles.

There's always a chance I would want to play any of those games again. I've had it happen when I traded in games I thought I wouldn't play again; for instance, I ended up trading in/selling TP for the Gamecube and a few years later I regretted doing that because I wanted to play it again over the Wii version (superior controls, original world, etc etc).

And then there's the fact the Wii U could be like the Dreamcast where it'll be super rare and kind of a cult classic system.

All y'all rushin to trade in your Wii U so you can buy the "New" Wii U. Smh.

Lol I know. On one hand the wii u offers so much more than the switch. On the other hand they aren't making anything new for Wii u at this point. So the console will be obsolete eventually. I doubt I'll see a deal this good fit the trade in offer. Gonna jump ship while the jumping is good.

Just really , really, hoping the Smash for switch rumors are true.

The fine print is "Valid toward reservation of Nintendo Switch. Not valid toward cash trades." Not, valid towards reservation of Nintendo Switch unless you change your mind.

I did a similar deal on a PS4 Destiny console and "changed my mind" until I was told the bonus credit would disappear if they changed my order to a different product.

Might not be your store policy, but they were enforcing it at mine. YMMV.

Debating at the moment. On one hand I don't normally trade in systems, but on the other hand I have no intention of turning my WiiU on again, and I'd rather play Zelda on the Switch. Getting this deal now could be a hell of lot better than what is offered down the road, even if the price drops on the Switch.

that's my reasoning.

If the Switch gets cheaper, it'll be 50 bucks cheaper. This deal is $75 more. $60 more if you need to buy the membership.

And that's not taking into account that if you trade in the wii u later it'll be worth much less once the switch is out. And you won't necessarily get a bonus trade in.

The fine print is "Valid toward reservation of Nintendo Switch. Not valid toward cash trades." Not, valid towards reservation of Nintendo Switch unless you change your mind.

I did a similar deal on a PS4 Destiny console and "changed my mind" until I was told the bonus credit would disappear if they changed my order to a different product.

Might not be your store policy, but they were enforcing it at mine. YMMV.

Yeah that's just your store then. I've done it at multiple stores here in California and never had that happen. "Not valid toward cash trades" just means you are getting store credit and not cash. Also no need to change to a different product. You just cancel your preorder and they put all the credit either on a giftcard or on your PUR card.

If you frequent CAG and Slickdeals, it's an exceedingly common strategy every time they have a preorder promo.

that's my reasoning.

If the Switch gets cheaper, it'll be 50 bucks cheaper. This deal is $75 more. $60 more if you need to buy the membership.

And that's not taking into account that if you trade in the wii u later it'll be worth much less once the switch is out. And you won't necessarily get a bonus trade in.

Yea for me the only thing keeping my power button dusted was Mario Maker and I haven't even played that since before the holidays.

Mario Kart 8 might be something to revisit but there is Deluxe in April if I feel the need.

Zelda being portable sounded neat for the $100 upgrade. I am not trying to spend an extra $60 on that sword statue for the master edition so I figured why not.

Really bummed about the controller prices tho.

I very much doubt you will get $200 for a Wii U at any other point in history going forward. It might hold at $100ish after it's gone from shelves. Maybe when its retro in 15-20 years it might start getting back to $200 but where is the precedence for old systems being expensive? It is always the games that go up.

Yeah that's just your store then. I've done it at multiple stores here in California and never had that happen. Not valid toward cash trades just means you are getting store credit and not cash.

yeah cash trades.

Plus chances are the guy was telling you to not do it because in theory he had the power to not give you the bonus if you told him on the same day you want to put it towards something else.

If you come in later once the store credit is yours and say you want to cancel the preorder, you can likely take those $50 and put them towards something else.

Yea for me the only thing keeping my power button dusted was Mario Maker and I haven't even played that since before the holidays.

Mario Kart 8 might be something to revisit but there is Deluxe in April if I feel the need.

Zelda being portable sounded neat for the $100 upgrade. I am not trying to spend an extra $60 on that sword statue for the master edition so I figured why not.

Really bummed about the controller prices tho.

I very much doubt you will get $200 for a Wii U at any other point in history going forward. It might hold at $100ish after it's gone from shelves. Maybe when its retro in 15-20 years it might start getting back to $200 but where is the presidence for old systems being expensive? It is always the games that go up.

That's the thing, even if there's a backlash and they lower prices, nothing is forcing me to buy the expensive controllers right now.

I think people feel the Wii u will retain value because of its controller and rarity. I dunno though, I can't see ever getting more than $195 for it down the road either.

More than the Dreamcast? Cause Dreamcast are filthy cheap

Yeah consoles aren't going to go up in price unless you're keeping it sealed and/or its a LE console. Normal consoles that are all dirty and have been played for who knows how long will never go up much.

We're not talking Virtual Boy numbers in the wild here, and even those aren't worth much used.

yeah cash trades.

Plus chances are the guy was telling you to not do it because in theory he had the power to not give you the bonus if you told him on the same day you want to put it towards something else.

If you come in later once the store credit is yours and say you want to cancel the preorder, you can likely take those $50 and put them towards something else.

It was 2 months later and I specifically asked for a gift card (with intention of grabbing amazon kindle cards, but i didn't mention that to the clerk).

Me: Can I cancel my pre-order and just get a gift card?

Clerk: Sure but you lose that promo credit that is on the pre-order.

Me: Ok, I will take the pre-order and do a return.

Clerk: The promo credit is still associated with that purchase.

Me: Dickbag.

Like I said, maybe my gamestop is just shitty. YMMV tho.

Drek

I bet the Switch will eventually be hacked to play Wii, GC, and VC for all the other consoles and most handhelds. On top of that we'll probably get Wii U ports for the good games.

The good games that sold well. Do you really expect Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1+2, etc. to get ported? I sure wouldn't bet on it. At the same time games like ZombiU or Rayman Legends (if playing 2 player) is vastly inferior on anything else.

I got a refurb 32 GB Wii U off Nintendo's site for damn near what the trade-in here would be. If I traded in all of my games I might actually come out cash positive (since I really hit B2G1s to stock up my library) or pretty near break even on a system and library I've owned for several years now. Still not doing it. Wii U is in a class with the Vita and Dreamcast - systems that failed to find commercial success but that have an amazing top 10-20 best games list.

The good games that sold well. Do you really expect Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 1+2, etc. to get ported? I sure wouldn't bet on it. At the same time games like ZombiU or Rayman Legends (if playing 2 player) is vastly inferior on anything else.

I got a refurb 32 GB Wii U off Nintendo's site for damn near what the trade-in here would be. If I traded in all of my games I might actually come out cash positive (since I really hit B2G1s to stock up my library) or pretty near break even on a system and library I've owned for several years now. Still not doing it. Wii U is in a class with the Vita and Dreamcast - systems that failed to find commercial success but that have an amazing top 10-20 best games list.

My justification was, I'll take new hardware and toss the games on the shelf. Remember Dreamcast was $199 in 1999 (~$300 in buying power of today's currency). It's $60 at most now.

The hardware isn't going to be a value investment unless you plan to regularly use it.

Wii U is an immense value for Nintendo fans currently if you hack it. It can become your all in one machine.

From my cold dead hands!

ironmang

Super tempted to do this and just try to sell my preorder. My WiiU likely will just collect dust after I'm done with Zelda so I'd rather just get rid of it and the games while they have value and pickup Zelda down the road for cemu. A playthrough of Wind Waker HD is the only time I even played it this year and I've played basically every game I wanted to by this point.

Did this today. Had some trouble getting the $50 bonus to become $75 though.

I thought it was a great deal to update hardware that I'm not that excited about to one that has potential.

Hopefully VC and the account system is consumer friendly!

I considered trading in my launch PS4 towards the switch, but I think I will just keep it. But they did offer $200 for it towards a switch. Just put the $50 down for now.

So as a power up member, it would be $200 towards a Switch for my OG PS4?

I'm down for that. I'll borrow my brother's to play NieR 2 and that'll be that.

So as a power up member, it would be $200 towards a Switch for my OG PS4?

I'm down for that. I'll borrow my brother's to play NieR 2 and that'll be that.

Yep $200 for powerup

Did this today. Had some trouble getting the $50 bonus to become $75 though.

I thought it was a great deal to update hardware that I'm not that excited about to one that has potential.

Hopefully VC and the account system is consumer friendly!

Yep system had to be overridden for me too to get the $75. I attribute it to the fact I was prob the first one to do it at my store. It was shortly after they opened. They were telling me they had trouble with neon preorders too, i guess they greys were there the whole time but neon kept going in and out of availability. I managed to get a neon pre tho so its all good. Lets just hope they actually ship.

Luke_Wal

Do we know how long this deal is going on? I'm away from my Wii U for a week but kind of want to take care of this.

Fuck the Wii U 32GB is worth more than my OG Xbox one? Wtf?!!!

Wii U 32 GB launched at $350 (was a launch owner) and has dropped lowest new for like $275.00. It's now essentially disappeared from stores.

Xbox One 500 GB launched at $500. I got a brand new 1 TB Division bundle for $200 late last year. Also got a Kinect from Gamestop for $18.50 after sale and offers. There are still tons of that 1 TB bundle in stores.

Gabbelgak

There's no bonus not tied to the Switch is there. I have a Wii U I haven't played in forever but don't really want the switch either. That would only be 120$ right?

NVM answered above.

Top Bottom