• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So the PS3 is designed only for gadget heads, and anyone else buying it is a moron who shouldn't bother. Got it.

Oh no, not at all. I just like to mess around with my new toys when I get them, in case there's some kind of hidden feature.

I didn't know about the 480p default on the PS3 until I tried to run a game that didn't support 1080i when I didn't have 720p checked. It went to 480, and I was like, "Well, that looks horrible," then I rechecked 720p, and all was right again.

I think moron is quite harsh.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
now how would non-japanese speakers know that the jpn dub is bad? they don't know proper tone or pronunciation and just go with what they think sounds good or bad.

Well, while I don't speak Japanese, I always watch Ghibli movies and other anime in Japanese with English subs, so I'm thinking I might notice the dub being "off" even though I don't understand most of what is said. Like, if some of the voice acting is really overdone, I'd probably notice that even though I don't understand what they're saying.

I don't understand why the text speed option doesn't seem to affect some of the dialog boxes. Basically any of them that are associated with the story, rather than random NPC dudes.

There are character animations that go along with the text, so I guess they do that to keep them in sync.

Palehorse

I of course think Mr Drippy is amazingly voice acted. Very authentically Welsh to my ear. I'm not. Welsh, that is.

Oliver is good for a child actor but he delivers the lines like he's reading them phonetically sometimes, comes off a bit stilted. It's a small complaint on what has been a delightful experience so far.

I think that with the number of lines Oliver has it would have been exhorbitant to attempt to get every one delivered to perfection.

madhtr

It's a dungeon? Didn't realize that. I retract my previous statement then. Are there items that allow you to exit a dungeon?

I haven't seen any yet, and any place that you see save points is a dungeon in this game, at least how it's worked so far.

P.S. Working on my masters work instead of playing today has been very hard... Just, you know. Bee-Tee-Dubs.

1stStrike

Banned
Okay, here I go. I'll be back in a couple hours with initial impressions. I'm a tough critic, so this had better be a damn good game with all the hype in here.

So this game is going to be a bomba solely based on ridiculously low shipping numbers from a company that traditionally over ships like crazy.

Ricker

Damn,finally noticed the cancel with O button lol...this will come in handy...finished the first small dungeon quest with no problem this time around and noticed that on the Boss...now to get out of Ding Dong...

It's wonderful to hear that it is selling so well. I honestly don't know the last time a game was this difficult to get. So worth it, I hope I get some time tonight to continue this glorious adventure.

atbigelow

Just got an email that my Collector's Edition was shipped... at some point. There's actually no tracking number listed anywhere.

But good news still! Pretty excited and staying the hell away from reviews and impressions.

Just got an email that my Collector's Edition was shipped... at some point. There's actually no tracking number listed anywhere.

But good news still! Pretty excited and staying the hell away from reviews and impressions.

You mean the Wizard Edition from Club Namco & Digital River?

Ricker

is there a save point in ding dong well?

Yes...after the puzzle though,which can burn your mana pool really fast by the time you figure it out...first time,I decided to ran out before the save in there not to waste the exp I gained and saved at the Inn,gained a few levels and some treats for my familiar and it was easier...

No, you should feed the ones that give what you want to focus on, because there's a limit to growth.

How careful should you be with the food in general? Can you end up being really "wasteful"? Do creatures have like, one magical special item they should be fed that you have to randomly figure out or something like that?

RPGCrazied

15 hours in, everybody is level 20 or so. Just did the volcano part from the demo. He seemed even harder this go around. I had to just pelt him with frost spell from a distance. The girl was dead. lol

madhtr

No, you should feed the ones that give what you want to focus on, because there's a limit to growth.

There's a limit, but it increases with each heart, so the limit isn't awful. Also, does that limit reset when metamorphosing your familiars?

FaintDeftone

Installing right now. Got the 2nd to last copy at my Target store. I really hope this game is as good as everyone is making it out to be. I haven't played a good JRPG since Lost Odyssey.

madhtr

Does there seem to be just one treat that's "best" for each familiar, or can you shape then to suit your preferences?

You can shape them how you want, but only one type is "liked" by familiars, which gives them double the increasing.

Aeana

Hey, I was curious of what you think of the English voices?
They're really, really well-done. Much better than the JP voices by far.

How careful should you be with the food in general? Can you end up being really "wasteful"? Do creatures have like, one magical special item they should be fed that you have to randomly figure out or something like that?
In the early game, food is very easy to come by, so there's no worry about wasting food except for the rare stuff later on. That said, as I mentioned above, your familiars have a growth limit so they can only raise stats a certain number of times per heart rank. So if you're the min/maxing type, you'd want to only feed the stuff that raises the stats you're interested in. However, I should point out that later on, this becomes pretty troublesome, because especially in the third evolutions for familiars, it starts taking a crapton of treats to get a stat to raise. For evolving your familiars, you use special items whose only purpose is to evolve, so you also don't really have to worry much about that.

Emilbus

The stats increase cap from food doesn't seem to reset after metamorph. Also i think a good reason to feed familiar the food it likes because it increase the familiarity (heart) which as someone mentioned increase the stats growth cap after every full heart.

Top Bottom