• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dynasty Warriors 9 - 6 minutes of gameplay.

warheat

Obligatory

XjdIDlO.gif

AzureFlame

I'm not sure of the textures are bad or it's just the bad video quality, game looks fresh and different, can't wait.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Intriguing. Need to see more though, especially the adjustments to the combat system. Right now it just looks as though triangle button prompts appear and let the character do some kind of contextual attack.

Pachael

The (Simplified) Mandarin localisation is a breath of fresh air - hope they keep it in the final release when it's localised (dual/tri-audio)

THE TROOPS. THEY DO NOTHING.

Like we're in the 9th (mainline) entry, does Omegaforce not care to program at least some aggression in the peons? Even towards each other? Everything else looked amazing but as soon as Guan Yu entered that battle I was turned off immediately by the blankness of it all.

@3:11 of the vid you see a bunch of allied and enemy troops running toward each other before just... randomly stopping and facing each other blankly with swords out like they're having some sort of telepathic battle.

The camp that the player goes through before entering the battlefield being completely deserted is also kinda iffy, but I guess everyone marched into battle leaving absolutely no one to defend.

Whatever my excitement for this has plummeted lemme go play DW3.

Edit: It also would have been nice if the officer/ruler/vagrant playstyle feature from the Empires expansions was adapted into this. Say if you were an officer under Cao Cao you'd be given a squadron of troops (and maybe even some subordinate officers depending on your rank) to command in battle.

I realise that I've set my expectations way to high for a KT game but I can't help it.

Screw 1 vs 1000, DW needs to evolve into a legit battle simulator with some wuxia influence.

Jeez, I read Dinasty Warriors 6-9 minutes of gameplay and I thought "well, OK, I can buy that for 3 bucks in the bargain bin, is this the biggest necrobump ever?"

Like we're in the 9th (mainline) entry, does Omegaforce not care to program at least some aggression in the peons? Even towards each other? Everything else looked amazing but as soon as Guan Yu entered that battle I was turned off immediately by the blankness of it all.

@3:11 of the vid you see a bunch of allied and enemy troops running toward each other before just... randomly stopping and facing each other blankly with swords out like they're having some sort of telepathic battle.

Totally true. I feel like the 'gameplay' insults the player's intelligence.

I haven't played any DW games since the PS2 era, but it looks like they haven't done anything at all about the troops.

The camp that the player goes through before entering the battlefield being completely deserted is also kinda iffy, but I guess everyone marched into battle leaving absolutely no one to defend.

Edit: It also would have been nice if the officer/ruler/vagrant playstyle feature from the Empires expansions was adapted into this. Say if you were an officer under Cao Cao you'd be given a squadron of troops (and maybe even some subordinate officers depending on your rank) to command in battle.

I realise that I've set my expectations way to high for a KT game but I can't help it.

Screw 1 vs 1000, DW needs to evolve into a legit battle simulator with some wuxia influence.

this is what's going on during their mental battles :

xgUCpkT.png

AzureFlame

They need to do something about this, this is bad.

Hystzen

Fodder troops are always pointless but in demos it worse as they as shove it on easy because it all about showing movesets n musou attacks. On hard and above fodder groups mess you up fast and stagger you out of combos. It not super amazing but just how it is

eizarus

Banned
Fodder troops are always pointless but in demos it worse as they as shove it on easy because it all about showing movesets n musou attacks. On hard and above fodder groups mess you up fast and stagger you out of combos. It not super amazing but just how it is
I feel like I should go play Samurai Warriors 4 again. Played it on normal and got bored from the lack of challenge.

Literally every demo for every Warriors game is done on easy so the AI doesn't do jack shit Normal and above is when they start attacking and giving a shit.

I feel like I should go play Samurai Warriors 4 again. Played it on normal and got bored from the lack of challenge.

In my experience warriors games go from stupidly easy to ridiculously hard pretty quick. I haven't even bothered with Chaos the last few entries.

PS4 in Japan, not platforms confirmed for west but you can safe bet it will come to PC here.

And if their last ports are any indication you can bet the PC ports will be garbage. Wait for impressions before dipping on PC.

Samurai Warriors 4 probably has it the worst, with people recommending you start off playing on 'hard' from the getgo because the a.i. is that bad. This may be to accommodate choosing officers you've unlocked in later stages of particular clan stories that start off at level 1 instead of automatically leveling ala Dynasty Warriors 8.

Skade

I'm not sure i like the idea of open world for a Musou game but the rest is known territory just better looking :

The troops still do nothing other than running around randomly, the horses still have the same animations and collisions they have since forever, the heroes are still overpowered, and i still don't like Guan Yu's design and fighting style, the battlefields still have super flat mono-texture grounds, etc...

Yep, that's a Musou game. Good enough i'd say.

True , this playing warrior orochi 3 on high difficulties is a totally different game than playing in normal
-----------------
in DW9 , i'm kinda disapointed by the open world because , it still lack ennemies .. there was part on the battlefiled in older games without ennemies , but i didn't see enough.
I especially didn't like that the player could just open the door of the stronghold like that. ( No ennemy ? )

The game seems to have nice ideas , but is still lacking imo

Poppy

if noname troops did anything worth remembering clearly they would have a name and a special character model man

you just dont understand that in ancient china, most people stood around with spears aimlessly

Yeah this was the main thing I noticed, it just looked awkward as hell, these peons just standing around about as active as wheat before a scythe.

This is always my biggest concern. DW8 with a maxed out character on the hardest difficulty is still to easy. They need to match DW3XL level of difficulty with maxed out characters.

DxD

Banned
That castle looks massive.
I have always wanted this from Empire mode, able to travel across China and entering each "map" to start the stage instead of selecting it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Lol, what's your point? There shouldn't be things to do because you didn't like the Witcher?

That was oddly defensive lol.

I was being facetious actually. I mean its a common concern posted a few times in every page of a new open-world game. But yea didn't really add an emoji to emphasize that. (I also adore the Witcher)

Tagyhag

Like following blood trails with detective vision?

Could be stuff like bandit camps with treasure.

Roaming bandits.

Legendary beasts.

Shortcuts to find.

If it's just something to go from point A to point B and all it literally does is pad the time then it's worthless.

DxD

Banned
Lol, what's your point? There shouldn't be things to do because you didn't like the Witcher?

That was oddly defensive lol.

I think he is saying that detective mode is bad for gameplay. Maybe?

To me, it is like the worse thing to happen to open world game.
Just a long trail of blood/tracks and holding down L2 to lead to nothing special but more time consuming mini-quest of pressing down L2 for more detective mode "action gameplay".

And we already know without a doubt there will be tower climbing though.
Every open world game is required to have towers.
But now, detective mode is too common in every next-gen game.
I am fine with tower climbing...but detective mode is just awful.
No one should be pressing down L2+running to point A-B every single minute.
It should automatic just tell you to go point B and highlite it instead.

shaowebb

Um...this looks really boring compared to the last few games. Lots of walking and these have to be the most standaround and do nothing enemies ever. Even after being hit they didn't seem to notice his presence and even by Musou standards they seem dull.

I love Musou but this isn't looking excited so far making the open world switch. I'm beginning to feel apprehensive after seeing that...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
It looks good. I just with the AI was a little more "enthusiastic".

Top Bottom