• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Right-wing group holds 'Straight lives matter' rally in Sydney. Less than 15 show up.

And outnumbered significantly by counter-protesters and the police there to keep the peace. lmao!

DKYOmRAUMAEBVzB.jpg:large

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/ga...e/news-story/634edbb7dfef9baa39ada605513f8f99

The leader of a right wing group who held a protest against same-sex marriage has blamed the poor turnout on a “fear of violence” from same-sex marriage advocates.

Australia’s first Straight Lives Matter rally, organised by The Party for Freedom, was held as a protest against the potential legalisation of same-sex marriage and instead found itself vastly outnumbered by counter-protesters and police tasked with making sure there were no clashes.

While only 33 people had said they were attending on the group’s Facebook event page, NSW Police confirmed to news.com.au there were less than 15 people who turned up for the “straight lives matter” side.

Speaking to news.com.au, Nick Folkes, the head of Party for Freedom, disputed the police count of 15 people, saying there were over 30 people from his party.

Despite that, he still said the number was “disappointing”.

“It was disappointing to see we weren’t well supported on the day. The pro-marriage supporters can get thousands on the street and we can barely get any. We’re the silent majority which is a real shame,” he said.

Mr Folkes said the number dispute came down to cameras being at the front of the stage.

“There was definitely 30. People didn’t stand there because we’d block the cameras,” he said.

More than 50 same-sex marriage advocates stood on the opposite side of Sydney’s Green Park — drowning out all of the speeches with chanting and horns.

At one point, an anti-fascist group was heard yelling “Nazis, f**k off”.

Facebook users have since taken to the rally’s event page to slam the poor turnout, with one labelling it as “sad and pathetic”.

“We did count 50+ police however they clearly weren’t needed as no one really cared to listen to your hateful messages,” Edwin Diaz wrote.

The rally’s location was a particular controversial one — held in Sydney’s Green Park which also contains an LGBT holocaust memorial.

Earlier this month, tens of thousands of rainbow-clad supporters of same-sex marriage rallied in Sydney and the rest of the country saw similar numbers.
Sorry, fake news! It wasn't 15. It was totally 30 or more! It was huuuuuuuuuge. Believe me.

You know what, I edited my post a few times. I'm just astounded at this bullshit. It feels so long ago (thanks trump) that America finally legalized it. Can't believe these other modern countries still dealing with the religious quacks on this issue.

Slayven

the rare racist and homophobia two piece, bet if you asked about women it will become a 3 piece and biscuit

Ishan

I think one of the best things that has come out of the trump presidency is all these deplorable groups coming out and then realizing holy shit we actually can't get ppl out for us

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Fear of violence as in like a fear that LGBT people had to endure almost all their lives?
Bunch of wankers.

Why do these homophobes do these events in inclusive places? Why not in bumfuck Australia where it's just rural folks who hate everyone who isn't like them, especially the aboriginals?

Oh is it because no one will give them media coverage there? :p

Luigiv

“It was disappointing to see we weren’t well supported on the day. The pro-marriage supporters can get thousands on the street and we can barely get any. We’re the silent majority which is a real shame,” he said.

Sure mate.

the rare racist and homophobia two piece, bet if you asked about women it will become a 3 piece and biscuit
They're anti-Islam too.

These people are repeat failures.
An Anglican minister has described an incident where an anti-Islam group disrupted his Sunday service as a "racist stunt" which traumatised many in his congregation.

Members of the group, Party for Freedom, were dressed in mock Islamic garb when they barged into the Gosford Anglican Church on the New South Wales Central Coast on Sunday.

They pretended to pray while playing Muslim prayers on a loudspeaker and criticised Islam before walking out.

Father Rod Bower, who was running the service, said the group were Pauline Hanson supporters.

Father Bower told the ABC he was shocked when the group entered his church halfway through his sermon.

"It was ... just out of the blue, some of the congregation were quite upset," he said.

"I recognised one of the participants and clearly they weren't Muslims — it was mock attire.

"I took a minute or so but I worked out who they were. I quietened the congregation down; they were a bit distressed."

The chairman of the Party for Freedom, Nick Folkes, rejected claims that the behaviour was inappropriate but said police had spoken to him about the incident.

"I don't have to apologise because we didn't hurt anybody, it was only words and it was a protest sort of thing, it's very different to going with the intention of physically hurting somebody," Mr Folkes said.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-...tunt-disrupts-anglican-church-service/7733710

I mean, is less than 15 people even a rally? You can find a dozen people who believe anything, including that world leaders are secretly Reptilian humanoids or that chemtrails are giving us cancer. I don't think this is really indicative of anything.

Not

Banned
Probably because literally no one in the entire universe thinks the lives of people who engage in exclusively heterosexual acts don't matter.

Mr_Moogle

hahahaha.

Reminds me this guy I know who keeps posting MRA bullshit on his facebook and can't manage more than 1 or 2 likes.

Maybe theres still hope for this country afterall.

cameron

Australia’s first Straight Lives Matter rally, organised by The Party for Freedom,
Congrats on being the first to create something that no one has thought of before because it's so fucking stupid. Truly a valuable contribution to society. Is there a legalize straight marriage petition I can sign?

The rally’s location was a particular controversial one — held in Sydney’s Green Park which also contains an LGBT holocaust memorial.
If the goal of "The Party for Freedom" is to let everyone know how pathetic they are, then mission accomplished.

Of course straight lives matter. Poor guys.

I mean how would we create the far superior gays if straight lives didn't matter?

Can't wait for the postal vote to be over and all this people finally getting the message, and shuting the fuck up forever. The "say no" tv ads are the worst shit i've ever seen.

Come on australia, don't let me down.

We can laugh it off that this didn't really work out the way they planned — but you know what - fuck them.

And fuck anyone else who continually thinks is clever/funny to devalue the original intent by warping the "_______ lives matter" message.

”It was disappointing to see we weren't well supported on the day. The pro-marriage supporters can get thousands on the street and we can barely get any. We're the silent majority which is a real shame," he said.

It's ironic how clueless he is when he hits on the main point his rally failed.

"They" - heterosexuals - are the majority, and in this instance they are silent. The pro-marriage supporters can and do get thousands on the streets. These are facts.

It's almost as if his "silent majority" has already made up it's mind, and is shunning such homophobic views in the most humiliating way possible, by letting you make a fucking joke out of yourself.

FStubbs

I think one of the best things that has come out of the trump presidency is all these deplorable groups coming out and then realizing holy shit we actually can't get ppl out for us

They seem to come out for elections in the US.

MarionCB

It's always particularly galling the way they try to frame their bigotry as "freedom". By which they mean forcing and harming others into obey their petty bigotries. It's the antithesis of freedom and the most twisted kind of bullshit. They simply can't let other people get on with their lives.

g11

The leader of a right wing group who held a protest against same-sex marriage has blamed the poor turnout on a “fear of violence” from same-sex marriage advocates.

Yeah, I totally see that. Everybody knows the gays are known for unhinged violence.

/s

SpaceWolf

Banned
Good to see these kind of events springing up. Straight people have been criminally unrepresented throughout all aspects of society.

caliph95

If it's one group that is in danger or discriminated in a country that hasn't legalized gay marriage yet it's people for being straight
You buried the other lead OP

These fucks protested next to a holocaust memorial for LGBT people
How classy of them

Monocle

Fucking morons can't even come up with a coherent message.

"The rights and security and freedom of expression we enjoy as part of a vast majority are so scary! Save us from the much smaller packs of marginalized and abused people whose lives we want to ruin!"

In other news, cat sues mouse for sore leg. A killing pounce is hard on the joints!

Probably because literally no one in the entire universe thinks the lives of people who engage in exclusively heterosexual acts don't matter.
This is basically the answer to every "why isn't there a straight pride parade/white history month" deflection ever. Oppressive majorities already know they have it good, there's reason to go out and march for what is already the default.

Top Bottom