• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's cool that they're finally bringing Sonic back after Sega retired the character at the end of the Genesis/Megadrive era.

Guh this is gonna be gooood.

Gin-Shiio

It's cool that they're finally bringing Sonic back after Sega retired the character at the end of the Genesis/Megadrive era.

Guh this is gonna be gooood.

If you like the series, I recommend checking out the Chinese bootleg Sonic Adventure. It's 3D, but I enjoyed it quite a lot.

Fiendcode

I think Saturn Sonic Mania would've been fine in Japan, it's only the west where it would've gotten eviscerated. Much like the Saturn itself sadly.

That ad makes me wish Sega would release a bluetooth Saturn pad for current consoles and PC.

NoKisum

I think Saturn Sonic Mania would've been fine in Japan, it's only the west where it would've gotten eviscerated. Much like the Saturn itself sadly.

That ad makes me wish Sega would release a bluetooth Saturn pad for current consoles and PC.

Has 8bitdo made one?

If this came out in the Saturn era it would've been eviscerated in the reviews, lol. Especially in mags like Next Gen that hated 2D games.

Maybe not eviscarated, but I can definitely imagine reviewers being more apathetic and condescending to it on the basis of it not being 3D. Probably would had more favorably received in retrospect when the dust settled for the Saturn though, since it would had been the only traditional Sonic platformer the console ever got.

Codename for switch before it announced, thread was created before announcement and switch probs doesn't fit in the title anyways.

NSW is the popular abbreviation being used for the Switch right now, we could change it from NX to NSW.

Blueblur1

Chrome Gadget please. I've been wanting a full fledged Chrome Gadget Zone ever since my 10 year old self saw it in Sonic 3. (That was 22 years ago!)

No, they're eternally stuck on NES and SNES it feels like. So dumb because they could really bank on cloning Saturn and Neo Geo pads.

Exar released some Neo Geo CD clone pads during gen 6 and 7. I wish they still made them because they were super cool. The PS3 one should still work on PC at least.

Sciz

Steam deacription mentions co op mode, was this known before? Maybe i forgot about it

I assume it's referring to the standard Sonic + Tails mode.

I am super duper late to this but checking back in the thread and hearing this made me realize, is this confirmation that each individual act will have its own variant of the main stage theme a la Sonic 3&K? :eek:

Yeah that's a thing again.

Wait, this is THE Sega Mania we never got in the saturn era? I though the name was just a homage or something like it.

The ad is fanmade, it's not real. Mania's visual style is based on the idea of a 2D Sonic game for the Saturn, though.

Anyway, pre-purchase / pre-order options for the game are showing up on Steam, PS Store, and MS Store. The latter two are also showing the August 15th date. We should probably expect an official announcement later in the week (if not today).

If this came out in the Saturn era it would've been eviscerated in the reviews, lol. Especially in mags like Next Gen that hated 2D games.

Gamers (probably Western gamers more than Japanese gamers), regardless of age, were in a strange state of all being "rebellious teens" that turned their back on 2D, opting for the more edgy 3D way forward. "That's the future, man! Death to 2D, 3D all the way out from here on!!!". There were some of us that were exceptions to that, who pined for new 2D Japanese-only games that we saw in the import sections of EGM and Gamefan magazines. We were lucky to get 2D games like Symphony of the Night and rpgs like Suikoden. As in life, gamers got over that phase and now many fill with nostalgia for the "classic style", and even regret that era, knowing about all the games that we could've had, but never got because we were "too cool for school".

Pre-order trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvD8NZN9Zsg

Yep, the date is August 15.
Mmmmmmm.... that's the Sonic I know and love!

Pre-order trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvD8NZN9Zsg

Yep, the date is August 15.

Are we getting animated cutscenes like Sonic CD.

Speaking of CD, was Stardust Speedway Past confirmed?

scd-ss-appearanceimg4.png

Jazzem

Man that trailer is wonderful, love the smooth and expressive 2D animation and the clever touch with the buttons at the end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom