• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baleoce

Was just thinking about this game again earlier. I know it's not likely, but I'd love for them to convert Chrome Gadget (along with its amazing theme) into a single player stage for Mania.

Village

Delays ain't that bad homie. Sonic games tend to benefit from it....well at least Sonic Boom Fire and Ice did~

Too bad no one played it, that's not sarcasm. To bad legitimately no one bought that game, its not the best thing in the world, but its aiight.

Berordn

Was just thinking about this game again earlier. I know it's not likely, but I'd love for them to convert Chrome Gadget (along with its amazing theme) into a single player stage for Mania.

This would actually be pretty great, though with them banking on nostalgia for returning zones I imagine it's not super likely.

Azure Lake wouldn't be a bad idea either, though maybe redundant with GHZ.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Too bad no one played it, that's not sarcasm. To bad legitimately no one bought that game, its not the best thing in the world, but its aiight.

Agreed, certainly the best Boom game and the fire / ice mechanics were used neatly.

Blurry screenshot of a new unknown and unnamed zone:

DAjdISIXgAATXeB.jpg

Sonic Retro are speculating it's either a Cathedral themed zone, or a reboot/re-imagining of Egg Garden Zone from Taxman's Retro Sonic fangame, which you can see in action here.

They're affectionately calling it Neo Egg Garden, though the zone could easily be something entirely new. Thoughts?

Stealth Edit: Attempt at a clearer, zoomed in screenshot with better colours here.

Stealth Edit 2: Screenshot is sourced from this image so it is legit.

daninthemix

I'm actually looking forward to this. I only just played through Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3 + Knuckles again (p.s. the Sonic + Knuckles levels suuuucked. They really lost it by that point).

hodgy100

I'm actually looking forward to this. I only just played through Sonic 1, 2, CD, 3 + Knuckles again (p.s. the Sonic + Knuckles levels suuuucked. They really lost it by that point).

Whaaaaat S&K contains some of my favourite levels.

Flying Battery, Death Egg, Lava Reef and Sky Sanctuary are awesome! even the low points (Sandopolis & mushroom hill) are just OK at worst nothing as bad a marble garden or launch base zone.

RockmanBN

Loving all the new level themes so far. Hopefully the new levels will outweigh the old. Wonder how many will be implemented considering this game is supposed to be longer than Generations.

Gin-Shiio

From the looks of that screenshot, it is going to be a beautiful zone.

Regarding the S&K level discussion, I have never understood the love for Flying Battery's linear level design and drab color palette. I'd much rather have seen Lava Reef Zone in this game, which I personally think is the most pristine level in the game. And another hottake, I think Marble Garden is awesome! Such a different kind of level, it threw all of us off-guard. I really appreciate them mixing things up in that manner.

dlauv

The worst part about S&K is the art direction, Mushroom Hill aside (but even then, the background layer is a little lacking).

The level design is still better than S3 to me. Flying Battery isn't that linear though. There are plenty of very different, differing paths + secrets. To be honest, the paths feel more distinct from each other than usual alternate paths.

To be sure, Lava Reef is pretty good stuff too. But I like it more for its narrative quirk than its level design. And Marble Garden is the worst zone of either half. I never get the love for that level, but the music and art were good.

Mr Swine

Banned
They need to release the game an it after E3, do a big E3 blow out with Sonic Forces. Have a panel where they confirm that Mania and Forces have a connection story wise (Reason why we revisit the earlier Genesis stages). With that at the end of Mania, Forces begins shortly after

Whaaaaat S&K contains some of my favourite levels.

Flying Battery, Death Egg, Lava Reef and Sky Sanctuary are awesome! even the low points (Sandopolis & mushroom hill) are just OK at worst nothing as bad a marble garden or launch base zone.

Marble Garden is one of my favorite! GOAT for me though is still Hydrocity Zone

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
They need to release the game an it after E3, do a big E3 blow out with Sonic Forces. Have a panel where they confirm that Mania and Forces have a connection story wise (Reason why we revisit the earlier Genesis stages). With that at the end of Mania, Forces begins shortly after
No thanks. Keep them completely separate. Don't need any connection of what looks like a fantastic return to form to that shite. This way, if (and hopefully when) Sonic Mania sells well, we can get a real Sonic 4 with all new zones done by this team.

Blurry screenshot of a new unknown and unnamed zone:

DAjdISIXgAATXeB.jpg

Sonic Retro are speculating it's either a Cathedral themed zone, or a reboot/re-imagining of Egg Garden Zone from Taxman's Retro Sonic fangame, which you can see in action here.

They're affectionately calling it Neo Egg Garden, though the zone could easily be something entirely new. Thoughts?

Stealth Edit: Attempt at a clearer, zoomed in screenshot with better colours here.

Stealth Edit 2: Screenshot is sourced from this image so it is legit.

Screenshot underneath the Tails plush.

Mr Swine

Banned
No thanks. Keep them completely separate. Don't need any connection of what looks like a fantastic return to form to that shite. This way, if (and hopefully when) Sonic Mania sells well, we can get a real Sonic 4 with all new zones done by this team.

Why not? That didn't stop the Genesis games having SA as a sequel :p

J@hranimo

Banned
Whoa, a new city zone in my Classic Sonic game? :p

I guess we'll see this in the next few weeks as well as that release date... right?

Sciz

This game is such a direct followup to the classics that it's even producing blurry prerelease screenshots to overanalyze later.

Lock-on technology

Okay, when the hell is this game coming out already? I can't take it. I have very little to look forward to in life. Let me go back to a point in a childhood before I wanted to kill myself.

Thanks, I see it now. The weird lighting effects threw me off.

Does anyone know what event that is?

Yeah sorry dude, and everyone else. Should have mentioned the event. It's this:

Looks like Sega planted the screenshot as a kind of hype inducing Easter Egg. Agreed that this does genuinely feel like a Sonic game from the Megadrive days, complete with blurry magazine-like screenshots that we can obsess over.

Seriously hope we get a solid release date soon. We're rapidly approaching Summer.

MrBadger

The zone in that blurry screenshot reminds me of a zone in Maestro Jump In Music. I hope the Mania stage is just as pretty. Anyone remember this game? No? Aight.

50545-Maestro!_-_Jump_in_Music_(EU)(M10)(EXiMiUS)-2.png

I've been waiting for more news about this game since the delay. I know delays are really good for games, but ever since I preordered collector's edition, the wait is just killing me.

Ferr986

Saw Sonic Mania in the trending topic list at nº 18 and was like wtf happened lol

Kinda late, but considering the history of rushed Sonic games I'll rather wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom