• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania (8-15-2017, SEGA/Taxman/Headcannon/PagodaWest, PS4/XB1/PC/NX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clav

Kinda feel bad for the lady cosplaying. Can barely see with the Sonic mask.

I actually don't like the music instrument chosen here. Sounds like it was trying to go 8-bit chiptune, but it sounds kinda annoying.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
There is no sonic 3 EU copy on their table this must be a sign!!!

Sonic 3 eu incoming 😍😍😍
What is wrong with that girl tho😰

LordAlu

I don't think I ever noticed the stars spinning around a checkpoint ala Sonic 2 before. Since we've seen the hidden large rings, I wonder if they lead to Sonic 3 style bonus games?

Andyliini

Has the retail version been confirmed or denied by this point? I noticed in the latest Nintendo Direct, that some games vere specifically mentioned for being eShop exclusives, while some only had eShop logo. Sonic Mania on the other hand did not have either. Might give more hope to a retail release?

Has the retail version been confirmed or denied by this point? I noticed in the latest Nintendo Direct, that some games vere specifically mentioned for being eShop exclusives, while some only had eShop logo. Sonic Mania on the other hand did not have either. Might give more hope to a retail release?

Good eye, I think they've shown interest but not enough so to confirm it.

Soodanim

As soon as I heard that music and was reminded of how smooth the animation is, i just thought "This is it. This is finally a proper 2D Sonic game like we've wanted for all these years". Can't wait.

Tarin02543

As soon as I heard that music and was reminded of how smooth the animation is, i just thought "This is it. This is finally a proper 2D Sonic game like we've wanted for all these years". Can't wait.

Same here, I feel like a kid again.

These are the games we older gamers want!

andymcc

Banned

When I was younger, I wanted a 2D sonic on Saturn because of how nice Astal looked. It sort of feels like that.

Stevey

Amazon UK still says this for me.

8La71M9.png

Piers

Some Green Hill Act 2 footage went up, Japanese commentary, but you can hear the music well:

https://youtu.be/YW_-myzFUkg

Of course they stop before showing the boss, again.

It'd be nice if the mountains at the front of the background were removed because it really messes with the scale of everything else. Maybe they want to emphasise scale, but it seems a little too weird and hard to believe (for me at least) in front of the lake.

Even then the giant totem poles and caverns are still really really cool.

There have been numerous retailer listings in EU at least pointing to a Switch-only retail release.

RagnarokX

It'd be nice if the mountains at the front of the background were removed because it really messes with the scale of everything else. Maybe they want to emphasise scale, but it seems a little too weird and hard to believe (for me at least) in front of the lake.

Even then the giant totem poles and caverns are still really really cool.

Eh, those are fine. Just pointy rocks. I'd say the more glaring things are the non-animated water splash on top of the waterfalls and being able to see sky on the other side of the caves in the background when there are mountains behind the caves.

Mr Swine

Banned
Music continues to be really strong in this game. I'm really happy they're doing the Sonic 3 thing with act 2 having a different arrangement. Seriously though...I want to see at least one boss besides the GHZ act 1 boss.

On the topic of bosses, my current theory is Eggman is the boss of the returning zones, while you fight the Hard Boiled Heavies in the original zones. Since we know Eggman's in Green Hill and we've seen screens of Hard Boiled Heavies in both Studiopolis and Mirage Saloon. That would result in a game with a huge amount of stages though so I'm not sure how realistic that theory is.

I hope not, having hard boiled as mini bosses in the new zones act 1 would be lovely but not as bosses in the act 2

I love the aesthetics of this version of Green Hill. Act 2 looks incredible. They gotta stop teasing us with the boss though!

Hopefully the release date isn't too far into summer. Also hoping this is an Xbox Play Anywhere title.

MrBadger

I hope not, having hard boiled as mini bosses in the new zones act 1 would be lovely but not as bosses in the act 2

My reasoning is that we've seen Mirage Saloon Act 2, and this guy pops up in the background a lot

9RQzjD0.png

Feels a bit odd for an already-defeated miniboss to still be prominent in the stage

Apharmd

i'm okay with this.

there's so much great games that came out in the west the first few months of this year (and a lot more coming in) that i really don't mind

Not necessarily.

Summer ends September 21st and the last official news was that it is a Summer release (not Spring like the thread title).

Ding ding. It's just updating Amazon's old placeholder (what was it, May 31s or something?). The date means nothing as Sega has only stated "Summer" now for it.

By all means, keep delaying it. I want this game to live up to the Classic Sonic legacy and actually outdo Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The chances of it beating S3&K is nigh impossible, but it'd be the best thing to happen in gaming for me in god knows how many years.

Sonic 4: Episode 1 and Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice are the only Sonic games to ever get publicly delayed. This is a franchise that desperately needs to be given more time for each individual release, even if that means less Sonic games in general. I remember back during the first half of the 7th console generation we were getting at least one big Sonic title a year (plus at least one spin-off). I'm not as quick to judge some of those games, but it was hardly the best years of sonic's career.

Brofield

Hell, I damn near forgot I ordered that collectible statue of EB Games. They still have a Spring 2017 placeholder, but I guess I can still remain somewhat optimistic until Mid May that it'll still come out before E3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom