• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Gamestop manager threatens to release angry customer's details over GTA V spat

alan666

Banned
The guy was being asked for ID & acted like a idiot, she was doing her job in asking for ID, best thing she could of done is not sell it to him because he was acting like a spoiled little child, yes the woman was wrong also but this all stemmed from the guy being a prick.

He is bothered about his data, well maybe he should move out of the USA then.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Why does he need photo id? Can't he just use his credit card?

These stores always have the craziest policies. I don't blame people for getting mad for having to jump through some random hoop with no heads up.

An individual does not reflect on a company. People hate GameStop because they have shitty policies that require their employees to be pushy about things you didn't go there to buy, they never get extra copies of new games for people that don't pre-order so you can rarely just walk in and casually buy a new game, they pay an insultingly low amount for trade-ins, and they sell hollowed-out, shelf-worn, sticker-covered copies as new if that's the last one they have (and it usually is the last one they have, if they have new copies at all). That stuff is policy and consistent across the chain.

Also, was the misogynistic hate-speech necessary here? That shit's not okay.

Anyway, that woman seems like a terrible person. I work in customer service and tech support, and I deal with a lot of unpleasant customers, but the customer was 100% in the right in this case.

Why do people even go there for new games? Target, Walmart, Best Buy get all of the new releases the same day and in much greater quantities. I also don't understand why anyone would preorder games (systems and Limited edition copies ok but jesus they ship like 50-100 copies of a game to each big box retailer there is plenty to go around.)

Excellent.

That guy though... Using a business card is stupid. It's one thing to use your receipt, or maybe even show your credit card -- but a business card? c'mon.

I know but he kept his cool and kept calling her mam which is polite. I respect him for that

maus

An individual does not reflect on a company. People hate GameStop because they have shitty policies that require their employees to be pushy about things you didn't go there to buy, they never get extra copies of new games for people that don't pre-order so you can rarely just walk in and casually buy a new game, they pay an insultingly low amount for trade-ins, and they sell hollowed-out, shelf-worn, sticker-covered copies as new if that's the last one they have (and it usually is the last one they have, if they have new copies at all). That stuff is policy and consistent across the chain.

Also, was the misogynistic hate-speech necessary here? That shit's not okay.

Anyway, that woman seems like a terrible person. I work in customer service and tech support, and I deal with a lot of unpleasant customers, but the customer was 100% in the right in this case.

Misogynistic hate-speech? Because the guy called her a bitch and a cunt I'm guessing? It's the equivalent of calling a guy an asshole and a dick. Gender specific insults do not equate hate speech imo.

Teknoman

These stores always have the craziest policies. I don't blame people for getting mad for having to jump through some random hoop with no heads up.

Probably the M rating policy + picking up a fully paid off reserve, especially for a large release like this...I guess. But honestly, who doesn't carry their ID with them? I suppose he could have used a credit card assuming he had one with his photo on it, but it is store policy. If someone you knew was pissed off at you, and somehow knew you had the game reserved, I suppose they could come, use your phone number, and make off with your 60+ dollars.

Far-fetched scenario, but they are supposed to ask for ID every time they sell an M rated game anyway.

Omega

Banned

..because there's ESRB ratings and stores need to make sure they're enforced?

A credit card isn't shit. You could be 12 with your own credit card if you're parents spoiled you enough

PaulloDEC

It makes no difference how the customer was behaving. In the customer/manager relationship it's 100% the manager's responsibility to stay professional.

They were right to fire her. If you can't behave like a professional, you don't deserve the position.

Persona7

Banned
A business card? That is stupid. You always need a ID to pick up a pre-order. Even if you have the receipt you need a photo ID.

They need to make sure it is the right person picking the game up and card everyone who looks under 30 for M rated games.

x3sphere

She didn't threaten to release the guy's info from what I could tell in the video, came off more as a joke to me. Still it's a big no-no, she should have kept her mouth shut. When the guy approached her again she should have just let it go and apologized. Very unprofessional.

Why do people even go there for new games? Target, Walmart, Best Buy get all of the new releases the same day and in much greater quantities. I also don't understand why anyone would preorder games (systems and Limited edition copies ok but jesus they ship like 50-100 copies of a game to each big box retailer there is plenty to go around.)

Rewards card points from buying new releases? Even if you don't want any of the junk in their reward catalog, you can also trade in earned points for coupons. I pick up a handful of older titles every now and then for practically nothing doing this.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Probably the M rating policy + picking up a fully paid off reserve, especially for a large release like this...I guess. But honestly, who doesn't carry their ID with them? I suppose he could have used a credit card assuming he had one with his photo on it, but it is store policy. If someone you knew was pissed off at you, and somehow knew you had the game reserved, I suppose they could come, use your phone number, and make off with your 60+ dollars.

Far-fetched scenario, but they are supposed to ask for ID every time they sell an M rated game anyway.

..because there's ESRB ratings and stores need to make sure they're enforced?

A credit card isn't shit. You could be 12 with your own credit card if you're parents spoiled you enough

Are you guys shitting me? He can buy alcohol and cigs without showing ID. Dude is balding.

A CC proves he is the holder of the preorder.

JDSN

Banned
Misogynistic hate-speech? Because the guy called her a bitch and a cunt I'm guessing? It's the equivalent of calling a guy an asshole and a dick. Gender specific insults do not equate hate speech imo.

Glad you put the "imo"part there at the end, if you think asshole and dick are the same as bitch then you are terribly mistaken.

I had a similar experience at a GameStop years ago so I called the regional manger and he ended up firing both the store manager and employee involved.

Plenty of under-age balding dudes.

original.gif

Rewards card points from buying new releases? Even if you don't want any of the junk in their reward catalog, you can also trade in earned points for coupons. I pick up a handful of older titles every now and then for practically nothing doing this.

Best Buy also gives reward points and you get actual certificates after you accumulate enough points that work as real money (you can get $5,10, or even $100 certificates depending on how much you spend)

I've only been two like two of these launch events (Skyrim and FFXIII), but they checked my ID like 3 times when I was there. Once when I arrived. Once while I was standing in line (they were taking everyone's information there) and then again at the register.

When you are the manager, you are paid to deal with this crap no matter how poorly the customer treats you.

Clearly, she is not management material.

The manager was in the wrong as the customer remained calm, but by no means does a manager have to deal with a customer "no matter how poorly they treat you". That is some entitled bullshit. If a customer is verbally abusive or insulting, you should not have to put up with that. I really dislike that kind of thinking.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I've only been two like two of these launch events (Skyrim and FFXIII), but they checked my ID like 3 times when I was there. Once when I arrived. Once while I was standing in line (they were taking everyone's information there) and then again at the register.

I did a Skyrim launch and they were horrified that I didn't phone auth my 100% pre-paid preorder. Just gimme my game.

My bro got GTAV at midnight with no preorder.

I'm not going to bother preordering again, unless I really want the bonus item, in which case I'll just order online (worked pretty well for ME3, I got my collectors edition the day after launch).

The manager was in the wrong as the customer remained calm, but by no means does a manager have to deal with a customer "no matter how poorly they treat you". That is some entitled bullshit. If a customer is verbally abusive or insulting, you should not have to put up with that. I really dislike that kind of thinking.

Well the video only began when both were in full meltdown. He was in mid-temper-tantrum, and she was in full blown SNL sarcastic clapping family mode, so who knows who was being unprofessional first.

Ashadur

Neo Member
The guy was being asked for ID & acted like a idiot, she was doing her job in asking for ID, best thing she could of done is not sell it to him because he was acting like a spoiled little child, yes the woman was wrong also but this all stemmed from the guy being a prick.

The way in which she was doing her job put her in the wrong aswell, the guy should've followed the rules but didn't, at the same time that doesn't give the manager the rights to mock and then encourage other customers to mock the guy. She handled the situation terribly, she deserves to get fired.

bidguy

Banned
wow kudos to the dude being so calm about it
i wouldnt react well to being recorded on a camera by some douchebag

The way in which she was doing her job put her in the wrong aswell, the guy should've followed the rules but didn't, at the same time that doesn't give the manager the rights to mock and then encourage other customers to mock the guy. She handled the situation terribly, she deserves to get fired.

Absolutely 100% correct. Just because the customer is being a dick does not give you the right to not only be a dick back to him, but ENCOURAGE other customers to be a dick to him.

Persona7

Banned
I just talked to my friend who manages a GS and they were required to card EVERYONE for GTA. I don't know if that rule was nationwide.

fixuis

There is such a thing as common sense. Does the guy look like he's under 18 or 21? So much wrong with your last sentence..don't speak English..well then get the fuck out of 'murica..you should be bothered about your data too..this mentality of " I have nothing to hide so I don't care" is what's allowing the powers that be to get away with gross violations of privacy.

RedAssedApe

Banned
youtube poster tried to make fun of this "nerd" but instead potentially got this lady fired and also made himself look bad in the process. white knighting attempt at its finest.

you are very welcome. m'lady

Honestly, I'm on the side of the customer. It appears that he was initially in the wrong because he forgot his ID, but her constant condescending demeanor and sarcastic remarks really would have pissed me off too. I can't stand people like that.

Fusebox

Banned
I gotta give props to the guy for turning around and going back to have his say after she made that idiotic comment about giving out his details. Dude was calm and collected.

B.O.O.M

Customer service fail....also the guy who was recording was such a douche. 'ooh I'm so sorry'...facepalm

It's her job. When a troublesome client comes to a store you don't act like you're in middle school.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
No winners in this. Guy should have expected to get carded while the manager
displayed the utmost unprofessionalism. The main issue IMHO is that she
shouldn't have engaged the public regarding this guy's issue and simply explain store policy and move him on his way.

Dion

Banned
Gamestop is a shady place. They tried to sell me copy of a game new.. When it was opened...

I hope she was fired.

Picking up pre-orders you need to have an ID because then anyone can say they are that person when they pick it up.

Either way, she fucked up. Gotta act professional no matter how rude a customer can be. Not surprised she got fired. GS has to be professional about this and they did the right thing. Also it's not difficult at all to be a manager at Gamestop she will be replaced quickly.

I just want to see which GS this was at. I worked at GS for 4 years in the Los Angeles area.

jabuseika

This is why I could never work again in dealing with customers. You always get those that are adamant about being right, even if they're completely wrong.

How you deal with them is, the customer is always right, if there's a problem, you just calm everything down, no sarcastic remarks, no threats. You deal with them like they're getting what they want. It's better to concede on little things, than make it a bigger deal.

The part where she points out how everything is on video, and then goes on to make threats...

Mohonky

Two wrongs dont make a right.

Though that woman was obviously an utter fucking idiot. To say she is going to release the guys private information and urge the crowd on to mock him? I doubt this was her first or would have been the final line of bullshit from her.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Gamestop is a shady place. They tried to sell me copy of a game new.. When it was opened...

I hope she was fired.

This has been going on for years.

On the rare occasion that I buy new at GameStop, I always ask for a new factory
sealed copy. If they don't have one, no sale.

RedAssedApe

Banned
What's funny is that she seemed like she was playing up to the camera because she knew she was being recorded...like this would go viral in her favor or something.

She might have possibly toned it down if it was not being recorded. Kind of the opposite of what most people would do in a customer service oriented job...you know be on your best behavior when there are lots of customers around and some fool is recording.

This reminds me of Mystic River or any of the "best TV drama ever" shows these days, in that I dislike every single main character and think they deserve the bad things that happen to them.

erawsd

I must be watching a different video than the rest of you. The woman is a little unprofessional in making a joke about giving out his email but it never looked like she was being a "cunt".

Meanwhile, the guy is upset that they wouldn't accept his business card as photo ID, holds the line up for everyone else and then, after she bends the rules and lets him have the game anyway, he still feels the need to berate the woman over store policy and insist that he'll never come back.

In this particular instance, I'm on the manager's side.

angelic

Banned
I've worked 4 years of game retail (uk) and that shit happened all the time, not by me i hasten to add. Theres something about gaming culture that makes a lot of game store managers arrogant assholes. They take the ID requirement and treat it as if they're guarding a Zelda like treasure chest from pirates. They feel they can berate customers and laugh at their purchases ("you're buying THIS? uhhh sure ok") is seen as acceptable.

A lot of the staff are gamers and the managers tend to just be managers, the way the mentality works, the gamers are either not seen as management material or they move on to better careers after using this as a temporary job. Ive worked with and for managers who despised gamers, but they would take all the freebies and happily boast. They would go to the uk conferences, come back laden with free systems, games, promo copies, and instead of incentivising the staff with them, they'd laugh and say they kept them.

Going OT now but one of my best experiences was after working in a game store, was going back years later to see the same manager there, bitter but still arrogant as hell. They all have retail mentality too...theyre treated to accept head office bulletins as the word of god, and will berate any customer who dares challenge their passed down knowledge. Can you imagine any of that shit in a contract phone store? No chance, instant dismissal.

Rafterman

Banned
"You thought this was a pissing contest and now you lose"

Dude is a loser. He tried to pick up his game with a business card like a fucking clown and then made an ass of himself in front of a bunch of people in a video game store. And if your email address is on your business card, it's not private information nor is it customer details so the thread title completely wrong as well. Seriously, the employee sucked, but this dude is why working in retail is a horrible job. Yay! He got a Gamestop employee fired over a video game, too bad it's probably the highlight of his pathetic existence.

There is such a thing as common sense. Does the guy look like he's under 18 or 21? So much wrong with your last sentence..don't speak English..well then get the fuck out of 'murica..you should be bothered about your data too..this mentality of " I have nothing to hide so I don't care" is what's allowing the powers that be to get away with gross violations of privacy.

Common sense is irrelevant. If a game requires an age limit, and you are supposed to check ID for it, then you check the ID, regardless of how old someone looks.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I must be watching a different video than the rest of you. The woman is a little unprofessional in making a joke about giving out his email but it never looked like she was being a "cunt".

Meanwhile, the guy is upset that they wouldn't accept his business card as photo ID, holds the line up for everyone else and then, after she bends the rules and lets him have the game anyway, he still feels the need to berate the woman over store policy and insist that he'll never come back.

In this particular instance, I'm on the manager's side.

If you manage or ever strive to manage a business, please tell me so I can avoid
giving you any of my money.

Top Bottom