• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Gamestop manager threatens to release angry customer's details over GTA V spat

Chao

Worked at retail for the last three years.
I've had really heated arguments with customers, but If I would have done what she did there in the video I would have been insta fired.

Laughing at a customer and high fiving a douche because "she won", really?

RoeBear

I must be watching a different video than the rest of you. The woman is a little unprofessional in making a joke about giving out his email but it never looked like she was being a "cunt".

Meanwhile, the guy is upset that they wouldn't accept his business card as photo ID, holds the line up for everyone else and then, after she bends the rules and lets him have the game anyway, he still feels the need to berate the woman over store policy and insist that he'll never come back.

In this particular instance, I'm on the manager's side.

The only way I could be on her side is if she didn't give him the game and said nothing about giving out any of his info.

If she said come back in the morning with a valid I.D. and we'll give you the game she'd be doing exactly her job.

Icecait

Banned
- He refuses to show photo ID
- He finally gets game
- He acts like an ass
- She makes a wisecrack
- He PMS's all over the store

Did I miss anything?

Zaventem

Common sense is irrelevant. If a game requires an age limit, and you are supposed to check ID for it, then you check the ID, regardless of how old someone looks.

Nonsense. If you think people check for ID for every clearly old man you must live in some always by the books area.

RedAssedApe

Banned
a lot of you would get fired real quick. good thing there are jobs that exist where you don't have to directly interact with customers. :)

Chindogg

- He finally gets game
- He acts like a ass
- She makes a wisecrack

Did I miss anything?

They part where she unprofessionally mocks a customer then refuses to give her information to him when requested, all while continuing to mock him and provoking the line to join in on mocking him. Absurdly unprofessional.

The guy was being dumb, carry ID or go home and get it......

But the manager did go a bit too far

And she was right, she doesn't have to give her full name, thats why they have employee numbers....

Mohonky

I must be watching a different video than the rest of you. The woman is a little unprofessional in making a joke about giving out his email but it never looked like she was being a "cunt".

Meanwhile, the guy is upset that they wouldn't accept his business card as photo ID, holds the line up for everyone else and then, after she bends the rules and lets him have the game anyway, he still feels the need to berate the woman over store policy and insist that he'll never come back.

In this particular instance, I'm on the manager's side.

If she cant handle a customer why is she is a management role?

You keep your cool, you explain the policy to the customer. Customer can put on as much a turn as they want and have a little hissy fit, but as the employee you simply tell them if they have any disagreements with the company policy then you can direct them to the appropriate channel to deal with that particular complaint.

People have tried it on me in the past and I just stand my ground on the issue without making a fuss. I have had customers punch walls, throw stuff, yell at me; even had a customer get her cunt out and tell me to lick it (she was a charmer that one) but I have never sunk to a level of mocking them in store.

Fusebox

Banned
If it was me, I might have been a bit more contrite about not having the right ID, but I would have tipped over magazine racks the moment she tried to engage the rest of the store in our dispute.

erawsd

Why does he need photo id? Can't he just use his credit card?

These stores always have the craziest policies. I don't blame people for getting mad for having to jump through some random hoop with no heads up.

He needs a photo ID because the game was preordered/paid for online. If they didn't enforce the photo ID rule anyone could walk in, say they're you, and walk away with a game you paid for.

If only

randal-graves.jpg

was working

Rafterman

Banned
Nonsense. If you think people check for ID for every clearly old man you must live in some always by the books area.

It's not nonsense. Just because there are idiots who don't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. I've seen enough businesses lose their licenses or get fined for not carding to know that it's stupid not to do it regardless of how old you think the customer is.

Best Buy also gives reward points and you get actual certificates after you accumulate enough points that work as real money (you can get $5,10, or even $100 certificates depending on how much you spend)

Guess it depends on where you spend more money; if I'm buying retail its usually Gamestop since they tend to have a much more extensive catalog of older stuff in stock, and I'm usually looking for older titles.

Sean*O

Holy shit a lot of people seem to relate to the angry nerd guy in this thread. They probably have that policy because people came in and claimed games that weren't theirs and some other nerd who got shorted decided to sue them for it.. probably what that particular nerd would have done if somebody elseusing false pretenses was given his stuff.

If it's true she got another girl fired who was innocent and then killed herself, then she's a cunt but I have my doubts about that story.

Nerd was an angry douche who used the situation with the camera in play to his advantage to try and win a pissing contest, and he admitted as much. That's how nerds Alpha.

Nocturno999

How can she be so dumb talking to him like that when a freaking camera is in front of her.

The customer was the typical whiner but nothing to force that lady to act this way.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
How can she be so dumb when a freaking camera is in front of her.

The customer was the typical whiner but nothing to force that lady to act that way.
She probably just got caught up in the moment and made this mistake.
Unfortunately for her, it was one that cost her her job.

Sound Deploy

Neo Member
- He finally gets game
- He acts like an ass
- She makes a wisecrack

Did I miss anything?

Exactly. Dead on exactly.

It seems people defending that asshole have never worked retail and have never been on the other side of that counter when countless, and I mean COUNTLESS of douchebags like him walk in and decide that just because they're paying for something, they are entitled to be jerks. In reality, he's holding up the line, and it needs to keep moving. Get a proper ID next time, get your game, and gtfo.Especially on a launch date. Jesus H...

I've worked in customer service a long time, treating someone like that is out of the question under any circumstance. They could take a giant dump on the counter for all I care, I would still skin the employee alive for talking to a customer in such a way.

angelic

Banned
If she cant handle a customer why is she is a
People have tried it on me in the past and I just stand my ground on the issue without making a fuss. I have had customers punch walls, throw stuff, yell at me; even had a customer get her cunt out and tell me to lick it (she was a charmer that one) but I have never sunk to a level of mocking them in store.

Gonna need more here..what?

Fusebox

Banned
I've worked in customer service a long time, treating someone like that is out of the question under any circumstance. They could take a giant dump on the counter for all I care, I would still skin the employee alive for talking to a customer in such a way.

I like this line of reasoning more than the 'waah you guys don't know how hard retail is' excuse some other posters are trotting out.

erawsd

If you manage or ever strive to manage a business, please tell me so I can avoid
giving you any of my money.

Actually, I do own/manage a business. The difference is I don't work for a corporation that allows customers to treat me like a shit smear. In the 8 years I've been at it, I've had maybe 1 customer get irate and we had to call the police on him... so I'm probably doing ok.

If she cant handle a customer why is she is a management role?

You keep your cool, you explain the policy to the customer. Customer can put on as much a turn as they want and have a little hissy fit, but as the employee you simply tell them if they have any disagreements with the company policy then you can direct them to the appropriate channel to deal with that particular complaint.

I understand the corporate policy and I'd probably be upset *if* I was a suit high up in the Gamestop office. I'm not, so I'm looking at this from a human level and from that perspective the customer was way more of a douche.

He needs a photo ID because the game was preordered/paid for online. If they didn't enforce the photo ID rule anyone could walk in, say they're you, and walk away with a game you paid for.
If someone has my receipt AND my credit card, something very bad has happened and whether or not I get my copy of GTA is the least of my concerns.

SnakeEyes

Banned

It seems people defending that asshole have never worked retail and have never been on the other side of that counter when countless, and I mean COUNTLESS of douchebags like him walk in and decide that just because they're paying for something, they are entitled to be jerks. In reality, he's holding up the line, and it needs to keep moving. Get a proper ID next time, get your game, and gtfo.Especially on a launch date. Jesus H...
Having worked in multiple sectors of Retail, including games: You got it in one. The manager didn't do herself any favours in that entire scenario, but that guy was a complete douche. I'd have asked him to leave if he didn't have what was required, and was holding up the line.

RooMHM

They part where she unprofessionally mocks a customer then refuses to give her information to him when requested, all while continuing to mock him and provoking the line to join in on mocking him. Absurdly unprofessional.
She seems to be an ass for sure but that guy is doing something I wouldn't even think of doing.
When someone is an ass to me, even if it's a shopkeeper, I just try to ignore him/her and go my way. When he asks that she gives her name, is it mandatory she accepts? Why would she give her name by the way?

I don't know, maybe I'm shocked by things totally normal in the US, at GS.

He got his game and hell I would be pissed if someone was dumb enough to consider one proof of identity over another but that's about it. I don't know ...

I work third shift at a cable/internet provider. Putting up with abuse is my job. The customer was right here.

The customer is not always right, the customer does not always deserve respect. But there are standards of professional conduct.

Also, this customer was nothing. If THAT is what you consider a problem situation, and THAT is what causes you to break, to become unprofessional, and to threaten something like sharing the customer's personal information, then you are not cut out for this line of work. You do not have the strength of character, and you need to get your shit together or you need to work in another field. I deal with much worse than this every couple hours on a regular shift.

GorillaJu

Really hard to pass judgment without having seen the whole incident. The fact that he comes back in to confront her and starts the "you wanted to start a pissing war, well you lost," ruined any chance he had of taking the moral high ground.

And why is the guy there even recording it? Total dick move...

I tend to err on the side of the woman there. The chance of a customer instigating like a douche after having been denied a game due to not having proper ID seems much higher to me than a CS rep randomly being a bitch to a customer. She'd get reported in a heartbeat.

Sound Deploy

Neo Member
Having worked in multiple sectors of Retail, including games: You got it in one. The manager didn't do herself any favours in that entire scenario, but that guy was a complete douche. I'd have asked him to leave if he didn't have what was required, and was holding up the line.

Yup. And not to diffuse responsibility of that manager, she acted up - no question, but this guy's level of privilege is like a pole on top of a pole up his ass ridiculous.

ultrazilla

Gold Member

I certainly didn't defend him. However, you must remain professional at all times.
We expect it from our teachers, our police, elected officials, etc. Store managers, employees of stores, there are standards when dealing with the public. She was highly
unprofessional and her behavior was terrible.

I've worked retail and trust me, I had my share of difficult customers. I always
heard them out and managed to find a middle ground most of the time if they had complaints.

He acts like an ass
She is totally unprofessional
Some guy (perhaps the one recording) talks down to the guy and tells him to go do something in a game that he will be doing himself when he gets home.

Fuck all of them

kartu

Banned
I tend to err on the side of the woman there. The chance of a customer instigating like a douche after having been denied a game due to not having proper ID seems much higher to me than a CS rep randomly being a bitch to a customer. She'd get reported in a heartbeat.

Denying a game is not a problem.
Threatening and mocking is.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
For midnight launches such as this, we get a lot of military police and regular police. Needless to say, people don't act a fool at our launches.

However, its hilarious when someone doesn't have their license when asked for it while there is an on duty cop posted at the door.

"No license? In that white car you drove up here with? We need to talk."

Ha!

Sound Deploy

Neo Member
I certainly didn't defend him. However, you must remain professional at all times.
We expect it from our teachers, our police, elected officials, etc. Store managers, employees of stores, there are standards when dealing with the public. She was highly
unprofessional and her behavior was terrible.

I've worked retail and trust me, I had my share of difficult customers. I always
heard them out and managed to find a middle ground most of the time if they had complaints.

I get you...but this is a typical case of fundamental attribution error. Yeah she should've acted professional, yeah she could've handled the situation better. There are a million things that could've pushed her over the edge.

In the end, she still helped to get him to get the game. That's the goal, and the customer had been tendered to... she *did* say "You're very welcome" only for the douche to then proceed "I really doubt that"...blah blah *nerd rage* *pissing contest...* At that point, he didn't let it go. How DARE he get mistreated! OMG...I'm calling corporate! Oh and then the lecture on what info SHE needs to write...total bullshit. It's an empty threat.

I get you...but this is a typical case of fundamental attribution error. Yeah she should've acted professional, yeah she could've handled the situation better. There are a million things that could've pushed her over the edge.

In the end, she still helped to get him to get the game. That's the goal, and the customer had been tendered to... she *did* say "You're very welcome" only for the douche to then proceed "I really doubt that"...blah blah *nerd rage* *pissing contest...* At that point, he didn't let it go. How DARE he get mistreated! OMG...I'm calling corporate! Oh and then the lecture on what info SHE needs to write...total bullshit. It's an empty threat.

Yea, like having to work a midnight launch......

GorillaJu

Ideally you want your customer service reps to be Japanese style: take everything on the chin, never stop smiling, stick 100% to store policy, then go back into the stock room and bawl their 16-year-old eyes out into their school uniform after you've finished chewing them out. But you just can't expect it everywhere you go, and some people are going to push back if you give them shit.

Can't say I empathize with him, even if what she did was wrong by company policy. It's not my job to judge her performance, but as a bystander I can clearly see a guy being excessively rude.

And some dick filming it just to stir shit.

Sound Deploy

Neo Member
Okay? I deal with worse than this every night, I get paid less to do it, and I don't lose my shit.

It's retail! They're getting paid minimum wage already. How do you even know this is the worst she's gotten from rotten customers? If you're defending customer service, fine - but if you're defending douchebags have the right to act like that to blue collar workers, then what's the deal? Customers don't always win. I dare you to ask me how I know that! Heh.

Top Bottom