• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Gamestop manager threatens to release angry customer's details over GTA V spat

BlazinAm

Supernerd who hates women and ID checks vs. district manager or what have you who has a near complete lack of professionalism for her type of job.

Basically, supernerd was mad that his preferred ID did not satisfy the store's verification requirements and he went off on a little rant (overreacting as his inital form of ID was a business card or something, he should know that is not appropriate). Then the district manager, instead of being a professional and just letting him walk out with his game after the confrontation, just had to make a short quip/borderline threat about how she should pass out his personal info to everyone in line so they can basically harrass him for acting like such a dick. HUGE mistake on her behalf, even if the supernerd was acting like a dick (and he was). Thing is, he doesn't have to be professional, he's just a customer. Once she handed off the game she should have just dropped it or at least waited until he left the store to comment, and even then passing around personal info of customers is just downright unprofessional. He was on his way out the door anyway, and pretty weird, but eh. She should have never ever done anything to threaten a customer. Just plain dumb.

How does he hate women?

BlazinAm

He argued with her and looks like a nerd, therefore he hates women.

logik

I know right? The dude was douche sure and just wanted to get a game he paid for and yes he should have brought his ID, but there is nothing in the video that suggest a gender bias.

Gumbie

He's clearly unstable, when he headed towards the door I would have probably just looked for the next customer and acted like the confrontation never happened.

That dude is kind of a poster child for creepy gamers out there giving our hobby a bad rep...

what-the-fuck-tom-delonge-gif.gif

Diablos

If you sympathize with his behavior I feel bad for you.

The official policy is: No ID, no sale. A business card does not count. Ask a GS employee. She should have just refused to sell the game and asked him to leave.

Also I said IF I WERE TO BE judgemental, implying that I don't necessarily have evidence that he is in fact one who despises everything about women, but he definitely gives me the creeps.

Honestly though, they are both fucking idiots.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Well it took a while but we finally got to the crux of why people are so mad.

Subtle misogyny is the best misogyny.
I have no idea what

I was really only wondering why they were criticizing the guy instead of the bitch at the desk.

And GL finding another retail job when it's known you're the cunt who threatened to give out information on a customer so that he can be heckled and harassed.
Nevermind.

Alright so I read a bit of this thread and just watched the video. I guess I don't think it's nearly so cut and dry. I've spent a lot of time doing customer service work, and I've dealt meaner assholes than this nerdlinger over things that are much higher stakes than a video game. Thankfully I have the benefit of dealing with them over email or the phone so I can allow myself to calm down. I once had a guy try to dress me down because I (purposefully) didn't include my direct phone line in an email I sent to him. He offered to provide a training class to me so I could learn how to make signatures in Outlook. If he'd said that to me on the phone I probably would've lost my mind on the guy, so I'm lucky I was able to have that filter.

She doesn't have that opportunity here. She did not behave professionally, no doubt. But people who are calling her a "cunt" or a "bitch" man, I don't know. This guy was acting like a grade A wiener who can't take a joke. I think he's pretty much indefensible. I guess what it boils down to is I have more personal sympathy for the person who had to work a midnight launch for GTA than the guy who threw a tantrum in line.

Gumbie

The official policy is: No ID, no sale. A business card does not count. Ask a GS employee. She should have just refused to sell the game and asked him to leave.

Also I said IF I WERE TO BE judgemental, implying that I don't necessarily have evidence that he is in fact one who despises everything about women, but he definitely gives me the creeps.

I'm not sympathizing with anyone, I'm just wondering how you came to the conclusion that he's a woman hating creeper after watching a 2 minute video.

Portugeezer

I have no idea what
Nevermind.

Alright so I read a bit of this thread and just watched the video. I guess I don't think it's nearly so cut and dry. I've spent a lot of time doing customer service work, and I've dealt meaner assholes than this nerdlinger over things that are much higher stakes than a video game. Thankfully I have the benefit of dealing with them over email or the phone so I can allow myself to calm down. I once had a guy try to dress me down because I (purposefully) didn't include my direct phone line in an email I sent to him. He offered to provide a training class to me so I could learn how to make signatures in Outlook. If he'd said that to me on the phone I probably would've lost my mind on the guy, so I'm lucky I was able to have that filter.

She doesn't have that opportunity here. She did not behave professionally, no doubt. But people who are calling her a "cunt" or a "bitch" man, I don't know. This guy was acting like a grade A wiener who can't take a joke. I think he's pretty much indefensible. I guess what it boils down to is I have more personal sympathy for the person who had to work a midnight launch for GTA than the guy who threw a tantrum in line.
http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cunt

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bitch

Makes sense in the context of things. There are also many words to describe the man, as we have seen many people do in this thread.

Are those examples or misandry? Maybe subtle misandry?

BlazinAm

There is nothing creepy about his attitude, he was trying to get his way and bend the rules. The Manager on the other hand was just petty about the whole situation and keep the confrontation going.

I have no idea what

Nevermind.

Since you quoted my post I will respond. I have spent years dealing with customers face to face in retail, and years dealing with customers and co-workers via email and phone in IT. I would take over the phone or via email any day of the week over face to face, as would 99% of other people. To make a career out of retail as she is (was) doing, being a district manager, means she enjoys that type of environment. So she should be prepared to deal with upset customers. And as someone who has spent years in retail face to face with assholes, drunks, idiots, thieves, etc, the main reason I side with the customer is he wasn't even being terrible. Anyone who thinks he was, simply does not have experience dealing with customers in a retail environment. This was nothing. A "tantrum" you say. That is just adorable to me.

Why would a district manager "have" to work a midnight launch for GTA? That's not how the retail world works. Maybe she simply enjoys midnight launches and wanted to work the midnight release. When I worked in electronics retail I was the same way. I am passionate about video games so I took every single midnight release that was available. Either way, it doesn't excuse being terrible at your job. Which she was, and was justly fired for.

And I love how white knights on the Internets just default to misogyny any time someone is criticizing a woman. She was being a cunt, so I called her one. All I am going to say on the matter.

BlazinAm

He shouldn't have to take a joke in which the context meant that an employee would reveal consumer information which is something she should not be doing.

jrDev

She apparently told him no, then he held up the line til he got his way.
Hmm...if I ask someone to leave, and they don't leave, I call the cops. Anyways, he drove without his ID? Makes even more sense to threaten to call the cops...

Btw, who's to say she didn't get fired because she sold the game to him without ID checking?

model13

I'm not sympathizing with anyone, I'm just wondering how you came to the conclusion that he's a woman hating creeper after watching a 2 minute video.
This is the Internet. Two minutes is all you need to form a valid opinion about anything. ;)

pvpness

I don't recommend you stepping into a parent disciplining their child unless the child is truly getting abused. I saw a guy at a store try to do that and the child's father beat the living fuck out of the dude.

I typically don't get involved in the affairs of humanity anymore, but I can't stand by and watch that kinda shit when I can do something about it instead.

I love the stories where the person being attacked just drops the attacker like its nothing. Good one man. Also wtf. Why not just go buy the game from a different store.

I didn't feel good about, rang that poor kids bell. I don't like being forced into violence. I thought the same thing too. There was a friggin Walmart across the street. I gotta think he'd have had a better chance there.

I work retail, and I have worked midnight launches and night shifts. I can totally understand why the woman seems bitchy.

The entire event escalated because of his juvenile behavior, but the woman never should of made such a stupid threat. That sad, the amount of petulant man-childs I saw during the GTA midnight launch reminded me why I hate certain midnight launches.

qko

She would have been completely right in refusing to sell him the game as well as asking him I come back with proper ID and keep the game on reserve for two days per GameStop policy as well. He definitely was acting a creep and she acted unprofessionally.

This is just Management 101. Abide by the policy, and refer back to it to cover your ass. Might be seen as a jerk or asshole but that's why corporate policy exists. She got fired, and it actually could have been failing to abide by company policy in addition to acting unprofessionally.

She might have let him take the game without proper ID if she wasn't being filmed. She feared that video of her breaking employee policy would get back to corporate so she had to stand her ground and demand a proper ID be shown by the customer to purchase the M rated game. Her hands were tied, so she did what she had to do.

She might have let him take the game without proper ID if she wasn't being filmed. She feared that video of her breaking employee policy would get back to corporate so she had to stand her ground and demand a proper ID be shown by the customer to purchase the M rated game. Her hands were tied, so she did what she had to do.

No, she should have just denied the sale until he showed his ID. What she had to do does not include being a bitch.

Indeed, it was fate itself that compelled her to try and humiliate him as he was walking out the door instead of holding her tongue an getting on with her job. It's like some Greek epic or something. The Gods can be so cruel sometimes.

"You thought this was a pissing contest and now you lose"

Dude is a loser. He tried to pick up his game with a business card like a fucking clown and then made an ass of himself in front of a bunch of people in a video game store. And if your email address is on your business card, it's not private information nor is it customer details so the thread title completely wrong as well. Seriously, the employee sucked, but this dude is why working in retail is a horrible job. Yay! He got a Gamestop employee fired over a video game, too bad it's probably the highlight of his pathetic existence.

End thread.

angrygnat

I admit the guy should have had his ID. And he was acting like an idiot. If you forget your ID when you go to pick up a game, sad day for you. Go get your ID and leave it at that. But she was being a bitch so lose lose all around.

Top Bottom