• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video: Gamestop manager threatens to release angry customer's details over GTA V spat

Dunan

How the hell do you know she wasn't being serious?

I agree, and even if she wasn't being serious, if even one of those people in line took her seriously and looked the guy up -- trivial these days, with Facebook and Twitter and the like -- that person could have caused him some real trouble. We've all seen how social media spats can escalate.

And when you consider that the customer evidently went out of his way to go home and get an ID so as to obey Gamestop's rules, her treatment of him becomes even less defensible. I'm not surprised to hear that she had had other incidents, the sum of which led to her firing.

LetoAtreides82

Neo Member
It's not "invasion of privacy", at least not in a legal sense. How is it harassing the customer at all?

Again, I agree that she was out of line and acted poorly. I'm not defending that at all. But as I've been saying all day, it's all being blown out of proportion. Someone saying "hey I'm going to tell these 15 ppl your email address!" isn't really an "invasion of privacy".

Actually it is invasion of piracy in the legal sense if she had given it to someone. It's not blown out of proportion, as an employee you cannot threaten to give someone's email out. That threat alone was enough justification to fire her. Her other antics in the video just made it worse, she's lucky there's wasn't a crazy dude in the crowd that'd go follow the guy out to the parking lot to assault him.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yes it is. It's also potentially dangerous. That customer had every right to be furious when she started riling up the crowd and basically telling them to "have at him".

From what I can tell, this guy didn't have his ID, but he had a receipt and tried to use his business ID to verify it. She said he needed to have photo ID so he went home and brought it. He must have been frustrated that he had to do that so as he was leaving he said he wouldn't come back to that store again. That's when the manager started to get snarky.

Again, I didn't see it as a dangerous situation at all whatsoever. It wasn't exactly a frothing crowd of angry people she was inciting.

THRILLH0

Banned
She seemed like a lady that hates gaming and gamers, like one of these stuck up females that would work in high end offices, bet she is not even married.

Well it took a while but we finally got to the crux of why people are so mad.

Subtle misogyny is the best misogyny.

Again, I didn't see it as a dangerous situation at all whatsoever. It wasn't exactly a frothing crowd of angry people she was inciting.

You have no way of knowing what any of those guys were thinking or what they were capable of doing, and neither did she. That's why it's irresponsible.

Not when you're working. When you treat people like children while working you get fired.
Nope! Just a couple promotions and profit sharing options!
Wrong, respect is deserved until you ask for it to be taken away by disrespecting others.
Nope! It's earned through actions and words.
So is money.

If I was in your store when you mouthed off on a customer like that you can bet I wouldn't come back. And no, it's not because I'm an abusive customer.

Unfortunately your business style does exist. I've seen it.
Cute. How is this 'my business style', when the customer is the transgressor?

smr00

Banned
Extremely unprofessional.

Do i think it warranted a firing? Not really, suspension without pay? Yes. Unless she has acted out in the past it should of been a suspension without pay, a warning and maybe a forced training/session in how to properly deal with customers.

Look, not saying she was in the right but losing a job over this? Kind of shitty on both ends and if this wasn't a giant consumer store she would of gotten a slap on the wrist. I run a local business and had an instance similar with a guy and suspended him for a week with no pay and haven't had any complaints since. I am not firing someone over 1 small incident like this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Actually it is invasion of piracy in the legal sense if she had given it to someone. It's not blown out of proportion, as an employee you cannot threaten to give someone's email out. That threat alone was enough justification to fire her. Her other antics in the video just made it worse, she's lucky there's wasn't a crazy dude in the crowd that'd go follow the guy out to the parking lot to assault him.

It's not "invasion of privacy" under any law that I know of, but that's really not the point here. I agree that the threat was definitely enough to fire her.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
OMFG that's the lady who tried to dock me trade-in value for bringing Mario Kart Wii in without the box! She straight up lied to me about gamestop's policy and then got angry when I called her out on it.

Mzo

The second the video made the rounds, right or not, she was going to be fired.

That's the way love goes.

The second the video made the rounds, right or not, she was going to be fired.

That's the way love goes.

Mhm. It's one thing to have a transgression like that without video. You get a slap on wrist, a talking to. But when you have a video clearly showing your mug? And showing your attitude? Then the company has no choice but to demote or fire you.

She deserved to be fired solely for her behavior. No excuses whatsoever.

AND that guy is an idiot. GameStop tells you repeatedly that you need your picture ID and who leaves home without proper ID anyway?

R0ckman

She deserved to be fired solely for her behavior. No excuses whatsoever.

AND that guy is an idiot. GameStop tells you repeatedly that you need your picture ID and who leaves home without proper ID anyway?

There are tons of idiot customers, this guy is no different from the person who cant tell the difference between a wii and wii u game. He just wants his damn game, give it to him so he can get the fuck out of the store and never come back like he said he would.

fvng

Gamestop seems to be a cesspool for unprofessional employees. Past couple of years I've witnessed lots of embarrassing situations initiated by employees. Employees berating customers for having "bad tastes". Making fun of customers who purchase NIS games. I've seen employees with a console bias yell things like "I hope the new playstation fails!" I had a store manager tell me he converted everyone in a town to a 360 user.

I am in management. I protect my employees and go to bat for them. I don't let people abuse them, and I don't hire people who are doormats. In return I get loyal, intelligent, and confident people.

She handled this poorly. I don't manage people who work in retail, I might not have hired her in the first place, but I would at least listen to her story, and believe her before I believe some jackass.

Again, there is a right and wrong way to handle things. she handled it... poorly.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Yes, that man child is an idiot. And those defending him are equally obtuse. The manager acted unprofessionally; the person who recorded the video should have stayed quiet.
This whole 'man child' name calling, yuck. I don't remember the last time I saw someone in customer service that unprofessional. Attempting to escalate the situation as he's leaving? Mind blowing.

Petrae

Gamestop seems to be a cesspool for unprofessional employees. Past couple of years I've witnessed lots of embarrassing situations initiated by employees. Employees berating customers for having "bad tastes". Making fun of customers who purchase NIS games. I've seen employees with a console bias yell things like "I hope the new playstation fails!" I had a store manager tell me he converted everyone in a town to a 360 user.

That's unfortunate. As a former employee and former manager, I always believed in withholding my opinions on a customer's potential buying decisions UNLESS I was specifically asked for one.

Let the customers pick their sides in a console war. Let them buy Babysitting Mama if they wish. Someone wants to buy an OUYA? Cool.

My tastes != everyone else's. It's not necessarily my role to pass judgment on a game, console, or other item. Give facts, let consumers decide, offer guidance when prompted. Keep steering and personal preference out of it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Proper management would have made this guy look/feel like a fucking moron for doing a completely moronic thing WITHOUT needing to put her job on the line.

Step 1: Oh wow .. you don't have you ID on you eh? No picture on your business card? Ok .. come stand over here sir we will get to you when we finish helping the prepared customers
Step 2: Make dude sweat till 1:30 when everyone else is gone
Step 3: Now... how can I help you.. OH yes. Business card guy. Against company policy. Go get an ID and come back tomorrow. Thank you!!

rocK`

Banned

What the heck legal precedent or law are you citing??

Gxgear

Oh, I did not know that. If he brought his ID, it should be case closed then. The manager should have just rang the purchase normally and move on.

This is what she should have done; as a sales rep you need to resolve situations, not escalate them. The pre-ordered copy can be picked up later and returned with the second receipt.

Instead she chooses to further agitate a guy who's waited hours in line for a midnight launch, forced to return home for a photo ID (if true as people say), and already showing signs of verbal aggression.

Proper management would have made this guy look/feel like a fucking moron for doing a completely moronic thing WITHOUT needing to put her job on the line.

Step 1: Oh wow .. you don't have you ID on you eh? No picture on your business card? Ok .. come stand over here sir we will get to you when we finish helping the prepared customers
Step 3: Now... how can I help you.. OH yes. Business card guy. Against company policy. Go get an ID and come back tomorrow. Thank you!!

Or you could not be an immature passive aggressive baby and just straight up tell him he needs to come back with an ID.

Petrae

there is another who is most likely also to blame... her training manager. Obviously she hasn't had the proper training

I don't know about that, if only because it's uncertain how long she's been with the chain. If it's been a fair amount of time, she should know how to handle an irate customer and how to properly manage her assets to avoid possible shrink.

If not? Then it may further validate your point.

olimpia84

Guys, we know the girl was in the wrong here. I don't think anybody is denying that. Why don't you all instead concentrate on how everything started to find who's guilty. The stupid crybaby dumfuck in this video walked into the store without his ID. How old is this guy? 5? Then complains about his public information being exposed to the...public? That's exactly what he said in his own words. He deserves to be ridiculed to no end.

This whole video is really awkward. The manager is an asshole, the customer escalating the situation is kind of awkward, the person behind the camera (I believe it is the camera man saying that stuff?) is an idiot. Glad the video got released though.

daman824

Guys, we know the girl was in the wrong here. I don't think anybody is denying that. Why don't you all instead concentrate on how everything started to find who's guilty. The stupid crybaby dumfuck in this video walked into the store without his ID. How old is this guy? 5? Then complains about his public information being exposed to the...public? That's exactly what he said in his own words. He deserves to be ridiculed to no end.
appearantly, he originally tried to use his buisness card but then came back with his id. and that is when the recording started.

imo if that is what happened she is the absolute biggest asshole employer I have seen in a long time.

Rozart

What. That's just as awful. Just tell him that he needs his ID and that you'll keep the copy of his game safe in the meantime.

LaNaranja

The dude was right about the lady starting a pissing match. Sure he was a bonehead for wanting to use a business card instead of ID but for her to start making fun of him and then turn to the crowd to have them join, that is too far. I don't understand how anyone here can defend her.

Ibuki

Banned

I am sorry to hear that. Everyone at my work is the exact opposite of that. We all do our best, always act professionally, and we are always respectful to people's tastes. If someone came to my work buying a NIS game, I would have a 2 hour conversation with them. You are just going to the wrong GS. :p

I actually had a GameStop employee hold onto my purchase until I preordered something. He continued to ring up other customers while I was just standing there and after a min or 2 he looked at me and asked if I was gonna pre order anything and I said no, he sucked his teeth and gave me my bag. I should've put in a complaint but didn't get around to doing it.

VXLbeast

As a kid who has worked fast food, this doesn't even seem that bad. I've seen people act like animals, and we've had to call the cops on customers before. I've smiled through much worse than this.

Still, they both made bad decisions. And that guy was gross. The kind of person you see walking in and know is trouble.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Why antagonize the guy as he's leaving? You got him out of the store, the hard part is over. She was rightfully fired.

Her words are a defense mechanism. The customer acting up over such a basic standard procedure can cause her to feel threatened.

A guy giving a woman manager grief over ID policy. Not a pleasant situation for a woman. People deal with stress in different ways. She was being human.

I actually had a GameStop employee hold onto my purchase until I preordered something. He continued to ring up other customers while I was just standing there and after a min or 2 he looked at me and asked if I was gonna pre order anything and I said no, he sucked his teeth and gave me my bag. I should've put in a complaint but didn't get around to doing it.

No offense but nut up, stand up for your rights and demand to talk to the manager in these kinds of situations there and then. You don't have to be agressive about it. If you're a consumer and acting civilized, you inherently deserve to be treated with respect by employees. Particularly in a retail situation.

For whatever reason this video won't play for me. I turned off adblock and all that. Just a black screen and then "An error occurred, please try again later." Other videos work fine.

edit: what the heck, it started working magically. I guess I did just have to try again later!

lupinko

What I found amusing is that I just came from a gamestop and I had good service. Can't say the same for the apple store I went to afterward.

I didn't throw a fit like that guy tho, I'm just gonna play gta5 in peace.

Clinton514

She tried to be funny and failed but I have a tendency to be greatly annoyed by people who behave like dicks towards someone just doing their job.

Her words are a defense mechanism. The customer acting up over such a basic standard procedure can cause her to feel threatened.

A guy giving a woman manager grief over ID policy. Not a pleasant situation for a woman. People deal with stress in different ways. She was being human.
No, she was being stupid. The normal thing to do would be to keep your mouth shut and then redicule the unruly customer with other employees after everyone had left the store. I can't believe people are still trying to justify the managers behavior, it's laughable.

R0ckman

No offense but nut up, stand up for your rights and demand to talk to the manager in these kinds of situations there and then. You don't have to be agressive about it. If you're a consumer and acting civilized, you inherently deserve to be treated with respect by employees. Particularly in a retail situation.

Manager won't do shit, you have to go higher up.

Puh - leeeeeeeeze!

violin123.jpg

So he wouldn't give you something you already paid for? What a fucker.

Why do these things only happen at gamestop?

katkombat

Banned

ifgN0OwK1Tau2.gif

Everyone involved (in the vid) is a douche which makes this thread hilarious.
So are you going to actually contribute or just make snide remarks towards everyone participating in this thread? Not everyone agrees on who is at fault here but at least people are putting forth an effort with their posting, unlike yourself.

Top Bottom