• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

I'm really stupid, I'm good to go buying this and connecting it to my wii u?

Yeah, it works on WiiU, but be aware it maps to a Wii Remote. Therefore, only games that use the "Wii Remote on its side" control scheme will work.

Mapping is as follows:
X -> B
Y -> 1
A -> A
B -> 2
select -> -
star -> +
L+R act as "shake"

I played Tropical Freeze and Mario 3D World and they worked.

Thanks for pointing me to that thread, looks like I have a new project at hand :)

go for it :) I have a pretty nice setup with my RetroPie as well with these beauties,
retropie.jpg

blazeaire

Okay, I managed to make it work on PS4 through remote play if anyone's interested. Just connect it to your tablet/phone, start up remote play and voila. it should now work on your TV/Android.

The only problem is that the face buttons are reversed (O and X, Triangle and Square) but for fighting games, that shouldn't be a real problem since you can remap everything anyway :D and yes, playing Skullgirls 2nd encore with this controller is a dream <3

Thank you SO much for heads up OP! I bought the SFC version, and absolutely love this bluetooth controller! I even told all of my friends who dont follow gaf about it. Everyone seems onboard. I'm surprised this isn't getting much attention.

Danneee

Got two NES30 yesterday and they work perfectly. The plastic is of worse quality than the original NES controller and the buttons rattle a bit.
And configuring controllers on Android is a bit of a hassle but that's not the controllers fault.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
It's a very nice controller, but attaching it to a Raspberry Pi makes it try to charge the battery, causing the rainbow icon to show up in the corner indicating lack of power with my setup. Which is unfortunate.

12V -> HDMiPi -> RPi -> Keyboard, Mouse, WiFi dongle, SNES30 is a bit too much.

I'll use a battery-less controller for now, and the SNES30 for my desktop PC.

Rich!

It's a very nice controller, but attaching it to a Raspberry Pi makes it try to charge the battery, causing the rainbow icon to show up in the corner indicating lack of power with my setup. Which is unfortunate.

12V -> HDMiPi -> RPi -> Keyboard, Mouse, WiFi dongle, SNES30 is a bit too much.

I'll use a battery-less controller for now, and the SNES30 for my desktop PC.

Why not connect it to the Pi wirelessly via Bluetooth? Works superbly for me.

Crub

So I had this short exchange with 8bitdo on Twitter, where they implied nothing is really stopping them from adding Xinput to NES30/FC30/SFC30/SNES30 but they choose to not do so because the lack of buttons. I hope they can come to their senses and change this. : (

tuco11

A tad confused ..so will this work on my soft modded Wii for retro games? SNES & NES . Specifically with Retroarch. thanks.

PixelPeZ

I just got my SFC version, which feels and looks, great but I do have some issues.

I can't seem to get it to pair with my Retron. Updated the firmware on the pad, and did all the steps for half an hour, but no dice. Anyone running the latest ver2 beta firmware on Retron out there that could confirm it working or not?

I understand that the only way to get it to work on Windows is either through joy2key or the 8bitdo software? No chance fake it being recognized as an Xbox controller for easier compatibility with games? I can't seem to get it to work with either Spelunky or Shovel Knight right now.

I really do like the hardware, if I just now could get it to work.. :S

Hi!

So I've got the SFC30, and I'm noticing it has some serious issues when using it over USB with Windows (both with 8.1 and 10).

If the controller is OFF and I connect it to my PC via USB, it turns on and is recognized by the PC as a USB pad no problem. The blue and green lights blink consistently.

However, the problem arises if I take a break or put the controller down for too long. If no input is detected, the controller reverts to Bluetooth (Unpaired) mode - a blinking blue LED. Invariably, Windows will tell me there was an issue identifying the USB device plugged in.

To get around this, I have to disconnect the device and shut it off (hold Start for 3 seconds), then reconnect it.

I'm running the latest firmware (by the way, anyone else notice the firmware website in the manual is non-existent? I just found it by Googling for 8bitdo's official site). Does anyone else experience this issue? Does anyone have a resolution?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
These look absolutely stunning. Thinking about getting one. Thanks for sharing OP.

Do these work on PSTV? I know it isn't really fussy with controllers because it'll work with ps2 arcade sticks if you have a ps3 adapter like inpin.

I'll be honest. I really didn't have good results from the NES30. The sleep/wake/pairing buttons were shared with actual game buttons, which broke compatibility with a number of games. Having the pairing buttons being combinations of actual game buttons seemed like a mistake.

Pairing it was a chore, configuring it was a chore. Especially for something that looks so simple.
I agree, but so far the games I've been playing don't require me to rebind button combinations to avoid triggering shutdowns or mode changes. For something like Zanac on the MSX the NES30 works swell. My problem is Mode 5 doesn't want to work consistently at all! The USB cable my controller shipped with (old man got it for me at Christmas, to my surprise) is most likely at fault, which just seems lazy even if 8Bitdo's more about Bluetooth pairing. Are the USB cables for these controllers proprietary or can I find a third-party alternative?

Meanwhile I need to use Mode 5 to calibrate the controller using the built-in Windows 7 game-pad wizard. Mode 2 bugs out when I try to do that but otherwise is way more responsive and won't disconnect on me. The controller itself handles great, I'm just annoyed that after updating the firmware I can't play using the USB option.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey guys, I just got mine (sexcellent hardware and packaging!) but do I seriously need to do all that bitching everytime I want to play a WiiU/vWii game with it?

Using wii remote, then connecting SFC30, starting vWii. Choose game.
When in-game then using home button/setting/reconnect to switch the Wii Remote to 2nd controller and SFC30 to 1st controller, rinse and repeat.

??? The fuck tell me I'm missing something and over complicating things, please ;)

Dash Kappei

Also I think something's wrong with the battery on mine.
Seems to be fully charged (tried using the iPhone charger, iPad's one, via my Macbook Pro's usb port...) and after a couple of minutes of the green led flashing -manual says it indicates it's charging-, I get no lit led lights at all which should indicate it's fully charged) but then when I disconnect the cable from the sfc30 at first I get both red (battery) and blu blinking (means no bt connection) but after a few minutes there's only a solid red led light (means battery is low according to the manual).

Is that normal?
Fuck.

Just got my SFC30 controller in the mail yesterday and played around with it for a bit.
Some thoughts:

Getting this to pair initially was a real headache

I can't seem to get the option to upgrade firmware to not be greyed out (and thus, unselectable) when plugged into usb

And the battery life falls far short of what was advertised. Seems like 2-3 hours before the red light comes on.

I love the way it feels when it works, but man... It feels like any minute it will stop working forever

Rich!

Battery life is superb, I use mine all the time and I've charged it once in maybe a month.

The red light does come on but it keeps on going. and going. And going.

Battery life is superb, I use mine all the time and I've charged it once in maybe a month.

The red light does come on but it keeps on going. and going. And going.

Oh yeah? Ok I'll ignore it and see how long it will go then. I figured it was on the verge of being dead with the red light coming on.
Good to know, thanks :)

Also... Aqua Kitty Milk Mine Defender is amazing with the SFC30 :D

Sophia

I just got mine that I ordered last week. My god it's amazing.

The D-Pad feels slightly stiff, but the rest of the buttons are spot on with the real SNES controller. Sooo happy with my purchase.

MizzouRah

I picked up two of these earlier this week and I love them, but does anyone know if there is a case available for traveling with the SNES30? I'd like to toss it in my work bag for business trips, but the controller lacks an on-off switch and button presses while in my bag register as keyboard inputs via bluetooth on my laptop.

irriadin

Anyone try their new mini controllers yet? Any impressions?

I got mine in the mail yesterday, and while I can't say I've spent enough time to form conclusive opinions on it, it is very usable and I was able to rather effortlessly play through the first couple levels of Donkey Kong Country 2. I will say that the button layout is inexplicably swapped from the default Nintendo setup (X+Y and A+B are backwards) which is not too big a deal if you're using emulators, but it is odd.

The mini controller does not come with much, unlike the other products by 8BitDo. I had to order a wrist lanyard so I can attach the mini-controller to my keys.

MRORANGE

Just got mine, the build quality is amazing, sturdy and feels just like the real thing, the buttons are amazing and the D-pad is good, feels slightly off but I guess some play-through will fix that. Also the packaging! It's like something from apple, especially all the extra's. They could have easily saved a few dollars if they decided to go the cheap route but I'm glad they went with the effort.

6zwfAKr.jpg

coughlanio

Just got my SFC30 in the mail, little disappointed there's a big black spot on one of the face buttons. It looks like it's in the laquer/paint they use on the buttons, but oh well. Feels great, definitely want to order another, and possibly a NES30 to go with my Retron 5.

catabarez

I just got one of these and the controller is pretty great. I just have one question, is there any way to turn off the keyboard function? Whenever I hook it up over Bluetooth it sees the d-pad as arrow keys.

klaas

Neo Member
I had a play around with these on my laptop (running Debian Jessie) I was able to pair the controllers fine, but SDL2 wouldn't register them as joysticks. I had to add udev rules to get them to show up:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules
then add:
Code:
# Add the ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK attribute to the device so SDL picks up on it
SUBSYSTEM=="input", ATTRS{name}=="8Bitdo SFC30 GamePad Joystick", MODE="0666", ENV{ID_INPUT_JOYSTICK}="1"
from here.

I just got one of these and the controller is pretty great. I just have one question, is there any way to turn off the keyboard function? Whenever I hook it up over Bluetooth it sees the d-pad as arrow keys.

With the SFC30 I think you need to use START + R, which puts it into joystick mode. Just pressing START (gamepad) makes the D-pad behave like keyboard input.

Kawika

I swear I saw somewhere that this company got their controller to work wirelessly on a NES. Am I imagining this and if its actually true, have they got it working on the NES (and/or snes) yet?

Would be nice to be able to play my upscaled consoles on an HD display from my couch and not the floor.

Edit: I guess they have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvjaQNgSbpE

Okay new question. Has anyone tried this and hows the input lag?

Hey guys, I just got mine (sexcellent hardware and packaging!) but do I seriously need to do all that bitching everytime I want to play a WiiU/vWii game with it?

When in-game then using home button/setting/reconnect to switch the Wii Remote to 2nd controller and SFC30 to 1st controller, rinse and repeat.

??? The fuck tell me I'm missing something and over complicating things, please ;)

THIS!

Oh c'mon, why no home button maped? It's mandatory if you want to play Mednafen or something like this to reach the emu menu on Wii.

I'm so dissapointed

Just got mine, the build quality is amazing, sturdy and feels just like the real thing, the buttons are amazing and the D-pad is good, feels slightly off but I guess some play-through will fix that. Also the packaging! It's like something from apple, especially all the extra's. They could have easily saved a few dollars if they decided to go the cheap route but I'm glad they went with the effort.

6zwfAKr.jpg
Looks absolutely stunning.

Has anyone used one of these on an Android tablet? Any issues/niggles to know about, e.g. does wireless connection work okay or do you need to be tethered?

playXray

I have two of these, and I've managed to set one up. However, I have no idea how to set up the second one. Can anyone help me? I already posted on the 8bitdo forums but didn't get any replies!

zweifuss

It's a great pad for Android, I use it for SNES9x and Retroarch. Only issue is there is some lag with games that require more precision, such as the Mario games. My muscle memory fails me every time on just those games, games that are not precious platformers run fine though, lag is not noticeable.

Dash Kappei

Dash Kappei said:

THIS!

Oh c'mon, why no home button maped? It's mandatory if you want to play Mednafen or something like this to reach the emu menu on Wii.

I'm so dissapointed

Yep super disappointed with mine, ended up only playing a couple times with it since I've got it (and one of those was just after the 1st set-up), I think I might be selling it.
Too bad but using it with a Wii/U is the opposite of convenient.

It's a great pad for Android, I use it for SNES9x and Retroarch. Only issue is there is some lag with games that require more precision, such as the Mario games. My muscle memory fails me every time on just those games, games that are not precious platformers run fine though, lag is not noticeable.
Thanks for the feedback. Is that because you're playing wirelessly, or is it the same even if you're connected?

Dash Kappei

Thanks for the feedback. Is that because you're playing wirelessly, or is it the same even if you're connected?

No noticeable lag using it with the Wii.
Remember that Android's emulators are laggy (iirc 3 frames of lag, like PS3's psx/ps2 emulation).
Try downloading Bluetooth Auto Connect to fix *extreme* controller lag on Android.

Stencil

Hey guys, sorry to necrobump this, hope it's not too grave an error! (Pun... intended I guess)

I just got the 8Bitdo Super Gamepad on this thread's recommendation (I think it's the SFC30, it's a Super Famicom controller with the rainbow face buttons)

I'm having trouble setting it up for my Macbook. I'm running El Capitan OS and it recognizes the device as a bluetooth keyboard, but it gives me this at the beginning of setup:
No button I press does it recognize.

Do I ignore the setup assistant and worry about setting it up in each specific client (emu, Steam, etc)?

Any help is appreciated.

dock

Just got my SNES30 for use in Windows. Has anyone else noticed any problems with lag over bluetooth? It doesn't seem as responsive as I would expect.

(for that matter, are there any tools for checking controller lag on windows?)

Miker

Hey guys, sorry to necrobump this, hope it's not too grave an error! (Pun... intended I guess)

I just got the 8Bitdo Super Gamepad on this thread's recommendation (I think it's the SFC30, it's a Super Famicom controller with the rainbow face buttons)

I'm having trouble setting it up for my Macbook. I'm running El Capitan OS and it recognizes the device as a bluetooth keyboard, but it gives me this at the beginning of setup:

Do I ignore the setup assistant and worry about setting it up in each specific client (emu, Steam, etc)?

Any help is appreciated.

I think you can just ignore it. If that mode does't work with a game, try one of the other modes - I think you hold down L or R or both while powering it up.

dock

Wow, the PC operation of the gamepad is pretty bizarre. The default controller has the dpad set as arrow keys. You can change this to be a regular joystick by using R+Start on power on. However, this conflicts with a bunch of games that still see it as keyboard input.

Benedict

I got a PC30 Pro Game Controller from my brother for Christmas.
I have trouble getting it recognized in W7 64 bit version.
and the D-pad is not showing up in Xpad.
Only the left and right stick are showing up when I press the buttons on the pad.
Also, the left stick is getting stuck in up.
How do I fix these issues?

Any help is appreciated.

You can just ignore that, just close the window. The controller sends keyboard letters so you need to be able to redefine keys in the game/emu you want to play

dock

Only the left and right stick are showing up when I press the buttons on the pad.

The default behaviour is quite strange, as it maps buttons to directInput buttons, but the dpad is mapped as cursor keys. If you firmware is up to date you should be able to hold R during power on to map the dpad properly.

Danneee

Here's some info that should help: http://8bitdo.com/nes30pro/Manual.html

Edit: using four of these (2 nes30 and 2 sfc30 with my Retron 5 and it works great. Just a slight hassle to set up buttons for NES and Mega Drive.

Top Bottom