• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Just a warning here: my final opinion on this controller is that a major oversight renders it almost useless by anyone bar uber-casuals on any game (usually platformers, ie Mario World) where you get pressure-sensitive action (I don't mean analog buttons a la MGS but like the longer you press the higher you jump).
The way the buttons and maybe (? Haven't opened mine) switches are built means that under normal play conditions 90 out of 100 tries you can't do the smallest quick jumps any times you might need to and perform them with consistency. Just grab SMW on WiiU and do a series of rapid quick-jumps with the gamepad controller. Now try to do the same with the 8bitdo SFC and consistently pull off the same (lowest height) jumps in quick succession.
You can't. This gives the impression of input lag that some users were lamenting but in reality the problem is on the buttons/switched themselves: I actually measured its input lag againt a proper WUPC and WUGamepad and the results are impressively good since there's basically no lag at all... but what's that good for when you can't play games like they're supposed to? As crazy as it sounds I'd say a tiny bit of (despicable) lag would've been preferable compared to "broken" buttons engineering, at least a tiny bit of lag is consistent and you can try to adapt to it, while here there's no chance to do such a thing.
This fucks up a myriad of retro (and non-retro) games and might be ok for the occasional play but nothing more. Dunno how a major oversight like this slipped through the designers, meh. This is without mentioning that in Wii Remote emulation mode the R/L buttons to emulate motions like shake are iffy at best and often result in 1 press = multiple presses instead (try Metal Slug Anthology on Wii/vWii and see how you end up throwing multiple granades for every tiny/quick R button press when in Wii Remote's emulation mode.)

You've been warned! If I had known this beforehand I would've never bought one so I felt like it was kinda important to share my opinion.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Just a warning here: my final opinion on this controller is that a major oversight renders it almost useless by anyone bar uber-casuals on any game (usually platformers, ie Mario World) where you get pressure-sensitive action (I don't mean analog buttons a la MGS but like the longer you press the higher you jump).
The way the buttons and maybe (? Haven't opened mine) switches are built means that under normal play conditions 90 out of 100 tries you can't do the smallest quick jumps any times you might need to and perform them with consistency. Just grab SMW on WiiU and do a series of rapid quick-jumps with the gamepad controller. Now try to do the same with the 8bitdo SFC and consistently pull off the same (lowest height) jumps in quick succession.
You can't. This gives the impression of input lag that some users were lamenting but in reality the problem is on the buttons/switched themselves: I actually measured its input lag againt a proper WUPC and WUGamepad and the results are impressively good since there's basically no lag at all... but what's that good for when you can't play games like they're supposed to? As crazy as it sounds I'd say a tiny bit of (despicable) lag would've been preferable compared to "broken" buttons engineering, at least a tiny bit of lag is consistent and you can try to adapt to it, while here there's no chance to do such a thing.
This fucks up a myriad of retro (and non-retro) games and might be ok for the occasional play but nothing more. Dunno how a major oversight like this slipped through the designers, meh. This is without mentioning that in Wii Remote emulation mode the R/L buttons to emulate motions like shake are iffy at best and often result in 1 press = multiple presses instead (try Metal Slug Anthology on Wii/vWii and see how you end up throwing multiple granades for every tiny/quick R button press when in Wii Remote's emulation mode.)

You've been warned! If I had known this beforehand I would've never bought one so I felt like it was kinda important to share my opinion.

Are there differences between wired and wireless?

Jimrpg

Hmm... I was interested in making my own retro console and using these as controllers.

What other recommendations are there for controllers to use with the raspberry pi? I wanted to get something to fit smaller hands as my daughter is 2 and a 1/2 and can't really use Xbox360 or PS3 controllers. (No wonder the Wii U isn't doing well - the controller is too big for most kids!)

Captain Awesome

Neo Member
Nice! How much and where from?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/8Bitdo-Xtander-for-SFC30-SNES30-GamePad-/161881025616

Hmm... I was interested in making my own retro console and using these as controllers.

What other recommendations are there for controllers to use with the raspberry pi? I wanted to get something to fit smaller hands as my daughter is 2 and a 1/2 and can't really use Xbox360 or PS3 controllers. (No wonder the Wii U isn't doing well - the controller is too big for most kids!)

The SNES30/SFC30 work great with the Raspberry Pi / Pi2. They work via MicroUSB, or if you have a bluetooth dongle.

Honestly, I am not sure about input lag on them. I have both a SFC30 and SNES30 with no input lag over bluetooth and over USB. I haven't tried them on a Wii yet though.

The only issue I've had with these controllers is that my SNES30's battery will only last for maybe 30 minutes (it's defective) but still works wired with no issues and over bluetooth. The SFC30 I have has no issues.

Hmm I attempted this on PC with Retroarch and had no such issues in Super Mario World. Could just be an issue with the Wii mode usage for this controller.

You're talking about how the buttons take too long to return to the unpressed position after being pressed, right? I had this issue. It's a physical problem with the button pads (the little rubber things inside), nothing to do with the electronics or firmware, so it was a simple fix. The pad shape and size are the same as the original SNES ones, and I have a bunch replacement ones lying around (I used to repair controllers), so I replaced them and now it seems fine.

I have shit tons of these replacement pads, and I don't really do the controller repair thing anymore, so for anyone who is having this issue I would be happy to get rid of my extra shit by selling them at my cost. It would be about $3 (including postage), I think, but I'll get an exact quote if anyone wants to take me up on the offer. I'd also be willing to replace them for anyone who's too skittish to do it (as long as I don't get too many requests) but it's certainly not a difficult thing to do.

Jimrpg

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/8Bitdo-Xtander-for-SFC30-SNES30-GamePad-/161881025616

The SNES30/SFC30 work great with the Raspberry Pi / Pi2. They work via MicroUSB, or if you have a bluetooth dongle.

Honestly, I am not sure about input lag on them. I have both a SFC30 and SNES30 with no input lag over bluetooth and over USB. I haven't tried them on a Wii yet though.

The only issue I've had with these controllers is that my SNES30's battery will only last for maybe 30 minutes (it's defective) but still works wired with no issues and over bluetooth. The SFC30 I have has no issues.

Oh I see, he was using them on the Wii. I thought Dash Kappei was using t on a raspberry Pi. My mistake!

That's good to know I'm excited and want to get one again!

Jimrpg

Is it possible to use two of these controllers wirelessly? How many Bluetooth receivers would I need if it were possible?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
fc30-arcade-joystick-1980x1114.jpg

Maybe it's been mentioned in here before, but I just found this thing from the makers of the pads. Obviously it's pretty, but does anyone have experience with it? Just wondering if it feels cheapo in any way, or if it's a truly good solution for usb stick on PC. But dam, look at that thing.

Had no idea they created an arcade stick, looks awesome but also kinda cheap. Wonder how easy it would be to swap out the stick and buttons.

me0wish

Maybe it's been mentioned in here before, but I just found this thing from the makers of the pads. Obviously it's pretty, but does anyone have experience with it? Just wondering if it feels cheapo in any way, or if it's a truly good solution for usb stick on PC. But dam, look at that thing.

The Sanwa edition should be very high quality, and one of the best arcade sticks you could buy, I'm thinking of getting one eventually.

I ordered a SNES30. I hope it's good.

Just ordered both SNES30 and FC30 PRO, I haven't been this excited about getting a controller in a very long time, not even the elite got me this excited, which imo was both over rated and over priced.

Rich!

So mine stopped working.

Bit of a glaring flaw with the device really........it's not waterproof! (daughter spilt her drink all over it along with a good amount of my new carpet)

Tried drying it out but it's dead, shorted. Feels bad man. I got a SNES30 last, this time I'll get an SFC30.

Oh and no, I'm not seriously saying the thing should be waterproof

Mozz-eyes

Banned
Ordered a SFC30 and clip to use with my Nexus 6p. I travel a fair bit so it'll be nice to be able to catch up on some SNES and GBA in the hotel.

So mine stopped working.

Bit of a glaring flaw with the device really........it's not waterproof! (daughter spilt her drink all over it along with a good amount of my new carpet)

Tried drying it out but it's dead, shorted. Feels bad man. I got a SNES30 last, this time I'll get an SFC30.

If you're just gonna throw it away, I'll buy the broken controller from you.

Edit: I'm not gonna try to fix it. Just gonna use it for parts. If I can fix it, I'll send it back to you.

Rich!

If you're just gonna throw it away, I'll buy the broken controller from you.

Edit: I'm not gonna try to fix it. Just gonna use it for parts. If I can fix it, I'll send it back to you.

UK? Because it wouldn't be cost worthwhile to send elsewhere.

I actually asked 8bitdo about this and were told that they are aware that there is demand for at MD style controller.
So hopefully we'll see one some day.

Oh man, a Saturn pad would actually make more sense with a regular 6 button layout! Would be the best for all retro fighting games.

sega_saturn_pad_1.jpg

kinn

So mine stopped working.

Have you tried putting it in a bag with rice or silicon gel? Leave it in there for a few days and if its still not working then dash it. Worth a try.

Anyone have a link to a good eBay seller that has these?

I'm always suspicious on there regarding sellers who say they have one thing but actually send a much worse knock off. Got burned on a 360 pad this way a few years ago.

I swore I was done buying controllers. Goddammit Rich!

Rich!

Ah, I'm in the US. If you're pretty sure the shipping cost would be too high (more than 10 USD?) then you can just toss it out.

Yep it's higher. Standard shipping to the US for a small parcel is double that.

I've actually made use of it anyway, using the parts for other things.

Have you tried putting it in a bag with rice or silicon gel? Leave it in there for a few days and if its still not working then dash it. Worth a try.

Tried that as it worked with my old Nokia. Nah, it's fucked.

EricB

What other recommendations are there for controllers to use with the raspberry pi

The Buffalo SNES style controllers are also excellent. I'm actually surprised we have several options for high-quality SNES-like controllers these days.

Rich!

The Buffalo SNES style controllers are also excellent. I'm actually surprised we have several options for high-quality SNES-like controllers these days.

Actually... I have to disagree. I bought a bufallo pad the same day I got the SNES30 and the different in quality was quite immediate. One has a definite third party feel, whereas the other feels premium.

Not to mention that a couple of months back my Buffalo pad just stopped working and every PC I've tried it in just throws a "device not recognised" error (and the USB details are unretreivable, so its obviously dead).

Wouldn't recommend it.

Actually... I have to disagree. I bought a bufallo pad the same day I got the SNES30 and the different in quality was quite immediate. One has a definite third party feel, whereas the other feels premium.

Not to mention that a couple of months back my Buffalo pad just stopped working and every PC I've tried it in just throws a "device not recognised" error (and the USB details are unretreivable, so its obviously dead).

Wouldn't recommend it.
Could be a one of as they get 89%/5* 8%/4* and 3%/other ratings on Amazon?

Captain Awesome

Neo Member

Wouldn't recommend it.

Could be a one of as they get 89%/5* 8%/4* and 3%/other ratings on Amazon?

Both my SFC30 and SNES30 will no longer hold a charge. I no longer recommend them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTaud_3BAG4

This comes after around a year's worth of use for both. My SNES30 died after a year, and now my SFC30 had just died.

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeat

My iBuffalo that I have used heavily for Ultra Street Fighter 4 for the same time period....still going strong!!

FWIW, the build quality is better on the 8bitdo controllers compared to the iBuffalo/Buffalo. The batteries in both of my 8bitdo controllers are shoddy.

The 8bitdo controllers are the closest thing to an SNES controller out there, and actually feel better as they are not ~20 years old.

However, I do like the iBuffalo/Buffalo d-pad better. :)

Jimrpg

Yep! That's what I ended up ordering from Amazon (for $9 each and free shipping) and they are on their way now.

Both my SFC30 and SNES30 will no longer hold a charge. I no longer recommend them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTaud_3BAG4

This comes after around a year's worth of use for both. My SNES30 died after a year, and now my SFC30 had just died.

Greeeeeeeeeeeeeat

My iBuffalo that I have used heavily for Ultra Street Fighter 4 for the same time period....still going strong!!

FWIW, the build quality is better on the 8bitdo controllers compared to the iBuffalo/Buffalo. The batteries in both of my 8bitdo controllers are shoddy.

The 8bitdo controllers are the closest thing to an SNES controller out there, and actually feel better as they are not ~20 years old.

However, I do like the iBuffalo/Buffalo d-pad better. :)

Ah Drats! I was thinking about getting one. No point in getting one if its just going to be like a buffalo (wired) after one year.

Minions

Yep! That's what I ended up ordering from Amazon (for $9 each and free shipping) and they are on their way now.

Ah Drats! I was thinking about getting one. No point in getting one if its just going to be like a buffalo (wired) after one year.

I have not seen the tear down for one of these, but I assume it would be really easy to just replace the battery in one of these.

img_1917.jpg

Looks like all you need is a replacement battery and solder a couple contacts. Should be able to find a compatible battery.

Might be this battery: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-180mAh...452047?hash=item1a0bd1da8f:g:Bm8AAOSwJkJWjN5~

I can't find anywhere that compares the voltage of the current battery, only that it is 180mah.

me0wish

I actually asked 8bitdo about this and were told that they are aware that there is demand for at MD style controller.
So hopefully we'll see one some day.
That would be awesome, never owned a Sega system, and I would love to try out the controllers, but didn't the d-pad suck? I hope if they make one, the d-pad will be improved.

Both my SFC30 and SNES30 will no longer hold a charge. I no longer recommend them
That's a shame, I watched your videos and you seemed pretty happy with the controllers.

I have not seen the tear down for one of these, but I assume it would be really easy to just replace the battery in one of these.

img_1917.jpg

Looks like all you need is a replacement battery and solder a couple contacts. Should be able to find a compatible battery.

Might be this battery: http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-180mAh...40-/181329298096?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

I can't find anywhere that compares the voltage of the current battery, only that it is 180mah.

I wonder if higher mah would fit.

Minions

That would be awesome, never owned a Sega system, and I would love to try out the controllers, but didn't the d-pad suck? I hope if they make one, the d-pad will be improved.

That's a shame, I watched your videos and you seemed pretty happy with the controllers.

I wonder if higher mah would fit.

Yeah I was wondering if a flater, wider lipo would fit in there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-3-7V-7...081970?hash=item20ff1d93f2:g:6hgAAOSwstxVNgQo

Controller is not very tall or wide, so working with limited space.

This one seems to be narrower and taller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-750mAh...183425?hash=item3cf8525681:g:anYAAOSwBahVOZjb

I did find this thread which seems to confirm 3.7v batteries working (apparently the original is 4.2v); and someone confirming they made a 950mah fit, but had to cut some plastic.

http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-433-1-1.html

I was going to say that it sucks that they don't have an Xtander for the Pro versions of these controllers, but apparently someone has a prototype for one that's on sale here: http://www.shapeways.com/product/4UTF8HWW8/universal-nes30-pro-clip?optionId=57903875
There's a video for how to get it to work and it is still pretty prototype-y since it involves using rubber bands to get the grips to work right. And it's pretty pricey at almost $40, but it is custom 3D printed.
5vj2hny.jpg

I've currently got a really cheap Moga Hero Power for my phone and it's OK, but it definitely feels like a controller I paid $10 for. The sticks are fine, but the d-pad and buttons are pretty bad and there is noticeable lag with most of the stuff I've tried it with.

I'm pretty much convinced that I'll buy one of these Pro controllers to replace my Moga, but I'm having trouble deciding whether to get the NES or the Famicom colors. I do love the nostalgic look of the NES one, but I've always loved the look of the Famicom and I have a matching Famicom GBA Micro... Tough choices! :)

me0wish

Yeah I was wondering if a flater, wider lipo would fit in there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-3-7V-7...081970?hash=item20ff1d93f2:g:6hgAAOSwstxVNgQo

Controller is not very tall or wide, so working with limited space.

This one seems to be narrower and taller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-750mAh...183425?hash=item3cf8525681:g:anYAAOSwBahVOZjb

I did find this thread which seems to confirm 3.7v batteries working (apparently the original is 4.2v); and someone confirming they made a 950mah fit, but had to cut some plastic.

http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-433-1-1.html

Great find, thanks for sharing!

Dash Kappei

Guys.
Wireless, wired, Wii, PC... doesn't make a difference, read my post again: it's a matter of them goddamn buttons.

Model: SFC30
lag: basically none
problems: buttons pressure range (you'll excuse me, dunno how to properly call it in English) and kinda busted Wii mode (Wii Remote's emulation mode). The battery also doesn't seem to hold its charge as good as it did before.

Now if it's just mine and a few others (read mntorankusu's post below) that are screwed up than good, just know you'll be taking your chances. I'm more than happy if your SFC30 is super good :) I've loved it at first sight so there's a lot of good in there, potentially.

Hmm I attempted this on PC with Retroarch and had no such issues in Super Mario World. Could just be an issue with the Wii mode usage for this controller.

Wii Mode has nothing to do with how the buttons physically work ;)

You're talking about how the buttons take too long to return to the unpressed position after being pressed, right? I had this issue. It's a physical problem with the button pads (the little rubber things inside), nothing to do with the electronics or firmware, so it was a simple fix. The pad shape and size are the same as the original SNES ones, and I have a bunch replacement ones lying around (I used to repair controllers), so I replaced them and now it seems fine.

I have shit tons of these replacement pads, and I don't really do the controller repair thing anymore, so for anyone who is having this issue I would be happy to get rid of my extra shit by selling them at my cost. It would be about $3 (including postage), I think, but I'll get an exact quote if anyone wants to take me up on the offer. I'd also be willing to replace them for anyone who's too skittish to do it (as long as I don't get too many requests) but it's certainly not a difficult thing to do.

Yes. As I've said it's obviously an engineering/design problem with the buttons/rubber pads themselves and their range from off state to fully pressed. I've haven't opened mine nor tried to fix it (don't even have spare parts at the moment) because the iffy Wii mode made me kinda uninterested in wasting time on it for the time being.
Good that it's an easy fix tho, I'll look into it.
I still think the majority of people sensing lag were actually having this issue instead; I mean I've measured lag properly (CRT Trinitron + camera shutter speed) and basically there isn't any.

Are there differences between wired and wireless?

No.

I think it's just that Wii mode on the controller is awkward. I've not had issues with it in wired mode on my PC nor wireless mode on my tablet.

SNES30 or SFC30? Mine's the latter.
Btw it seems that now the controller, after just a few months, only lasts a couple hours battery-wise.

Danneee

Groving up with a Mega Drive I'd say the d-pad is fucking awesome! Maybe not as precise for platformers as the Nintendo style ones but a hell of a lot better for games that require smooth 8-way movement in my opinion like Desert Strike or shmups. Cross shaped d-pads aren't really suited for diagonals.

Dash Kappei

Groving up with a Mega Drive I'd say the d-pad is fucking awesome! Maybe not as precise for platformers as the Nintendo style ones but a hell of a lot better for games that require smooth 8-way movement in my opinion like Desert Strike or shmups. Cross shaped d-pads aren't really suited for diagonals.

The Megadrive's pad ain't good imo, and I loved my SMD growing up in my teenage years.
I'd say they should go for the Saturn's pad instead (not the giant ugly xbox's duke-lookalike model, lol)

me0wish

I actually ordered two of the snes, and 1 of the famicom pro models earlier this week. I may grab a few of these batteries now so they arrive before I need them in the future. The month(s) wait is the worst part.
Again, thanks for sharing, but are you sure it will fit? especially inside the pro controller?

Guys.
problems: buttons pressure range
This sucks, I hope its not an issue with the pro variant :/

Well, I hope they make one, would love to test it out! :)

The Megadrive's pad ain't good imo, and I loved my SMD growing up in my teenage years.
I'd say they should go for the Saturn's pad instead (not the giant ugly xbox's duke-lookalike model, lol)

the original 6-button genesis pad from like 1992 is better than the Saturn imo.

Basslover

Been hearing lately a lot about these controllers. A store in Chile (Dristore) distributes the NES one for the same price that it'd take me to buy one of these online.

Anyone knows if they work on PS3 and PS4?

I'm in Santiago and bought the nes30 from them. I have to say it was pretty good, the nes30 is a great BT controller even tho it gives me a hard time sometimes with my laptop's BT. (Dell 7559)

psylah

I want to order one but want to make sure I don't get a bootleg (INB4 someone says this is one to begin with). I see they are available on Amazon from Third Party sellers. Is there any way to buy this from an official source?

Has there been any evidence of anyone receiving bootlegs?

Minions

Again, thanks for sharing, but are you sure it will fit? especially inside the pro controller?

This sucks, I hope its not an issue with the pro variant :/

Well, I hope they make one, would love to test it out! :)

You can wait a month or two and find out once mine arrive. Otherwise it seems like it will fit in the snes controllers, not 100% sure on the pro. Like all things, I don't expect a bigger battery to just fit in with no modifications required.

Sophia

SNES30 or SFC30? Mine's the latter.
Btw it seems that now the controller, after just a few months, only lasts a couple hours battery-wise.

I have the SNES30, and it's fine. Wii mode and Wii U mode were a bit awkward, and have some input lag, but every other mode is fine. The D-Pad is slightly stiffer than a real controller, but that's about it. Battery life is still fantastic here after several months of ownership.

Top Bottom