• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

playXray

I have two I might sell if I can't get the damned things to work on my Raspberry Pi! Anyone have any experience getting two running on one Pi installation?

catabarez

Welp. I just tested the receiver with a win remote and it worked great (it was kinda cool playing with it on the NES). So now I'm thinking it's just my controller. Except the controller works on the computer.

Any idea if a brand new one will work with it? I use an SFC30.

Sophia

Wish there was some way I could use this controller for Undertale on Steam - any suggestions?

Probably have to use additional software like Joy2Key or Xpadder. Undertale only works with xinput game controllers out of the box, like X1 or X360 pads.

Undertale supports DirectInput controllers. This controller should work out of the box with no issues. I've played through the entire game multiple times with the SNES30, in fact.

Undertale supports DirectInput controllers. This controller should work out of the box with no issues. I've played through the entire game multiple times with the SNES30, in fact.

Damn, mine wouldn't work over bluetooth. Any tips? Do you have to play wired?

Bgamer90

Banned
Trying to get this to work with my Retron 5 but it's saying "new firmware 1.62 and current is 2.67" and it's then booting me back out ("failure").

Any way to completely wipe the controller out and then download the (apparently older) firmware for Retron5 support?

Edit: Never mind -- Got it! Works well.

Okay I was always sort of curious about this before, but now I saw this on Facebook feed

79c748b9fecd1215a32d66de7dfd0754078a0b2a_main_hero_image.jpg

And well, I'm really tempted now. I only wonder if anyone else has tried this? And would it work with phones already in a fairly thick case?

Fusebox

Banned

I'm on OSX if that changes anything. I can get the D-pad controlling my character but can't figure out how to bind the buttons to the keys.

StereoVsn

Separately, what would be a good PC adapter to use with Genesis games? Thinking especially with Steam Sega retro console center.

Sophia

I'm on OSX if that changes anything. I can get the D-pad controlling my character but can't figure out how to bind the buttons to the keys.

Ah, I'm afraid I might be of limited help then. I haven't used OSX since 10.4, much less the controller or Undertale on OSX. :<

We've have you tried? I've successfully used the apps to do this:

1. Xpad, from 8bitdo themselves. $free
2. ControllerMate, from OrderedBytes, $25

And my favourite:

3. Controllers, from vividmachine, $5

I rarely have to use those kind of apps though. I'm using my SFC30 with Pico-8 and it's excellent.

I had to update the SFC30 to the latest beta firmware though. You might want to try that, too? Default mode 1 was broken in some versions of the firmware.

ROFISH

Neo Member
I updated my app to have a thread sleep to prevent the high-CPU usage it typically has. However, you are dependent on whatever Windows does for it's thread scheduling, so low-end machines may need to set the app to "high priority" (via Task Manager) along with a higher sleep time to fully reduce CPU while still being functional. 16ms is roughly 60hz though you may want 8ms or 4ms to ensure the controller is actually updated each frame.

https://github.com/ROFISH/FC30XInput/releases/tag/v0.0.2

linkboy

I'm either losing my touch or I'm getting some lag. Playing Mario 3 All-Stars with the SFC30 and mario is floaty as shit.

I've died more times in the first world of Mario 3 in the last half hour then I ever have.

Rich!

I'm either losing my touch or I'm getting some lag. Playing Mario 3 All-Stars with the SFC30 and mario is floaty as shit.

I've died more times in the first world of Mario 3 in the last half hour then I ever have.

What are you playing it on?

Rich!

Nvidia Shield Tv

If it's android, you're gonna get lag regardless.

After investing in a decent CRT broadcast monitor to play my games on (real hardware), I simply can't play anything emulated on my phone anymore - the lag is just too real

HotHamBoy

Lag sucks. I have a Wii U and a Wii, and I'd love to ditch the Wii but the Wii U adds additional lag to virtual console games. It makes a significant impact on how games like Mario feel to play.

On topic, I love my 8BitDo SNES30 and NES30 Pro.

What I don't love is that I was under the impression they would work with Wii/Wii U when I bought them and I feel a bit misled about that. I pretty much can only use them practically on my PC, which I don't tend to use that often since I'm more of a console player.

Used the SNES30 to play Undertale, though :)

Rich!

Lag sucks. I have a Wii U and a Wii, and I'd love to ditch the Wii but the Wii U adds additional lag to virtual console games. It makes a significant impact on how games like Mario feel to play.

On topic, I love my 8BitDo SNES30 and NES30 Pro.

What I don't love is that I was under the impression they would work with Wii/Wii U when I bought them and I feel a bit misled about that. I pretty much can only use them practically on my PC, which I don't tend to use that often since I'm more of a console player.

Used the SNES30 to play Undertale, though :)

But...they do. The newest 8bitdo firmware allows use of the controller either as a Wii remote or Wii U Pro Controller. I played through Yoshis Wooly World with my SNES30. I also played through NSMBU with it.

EricB

Always happy to see this thread bumped because I really like these controllers. I just played through Mega Man 1 using the NES30 Pro. I've had the pad since it was released but never really put it to use much since I have so many other controllers (I've got a bit of a controller problem). So much fun to play 2D games with this thing—now I'm thinking about picking up the Famicom version even though I don't really need another controller.

But...they do. The newest 8bitdo firmware allows use of the controller either as a Wii remote or Wii U Pro Controller. I played through Yoshis Wooly World with my SNES30. I also played through NSMBU with it.

How do you use it as a Wii U Pro controller? I hadn't heard anything about that

Edit: Only in the beta firmware, or is their changelog bad? Either way, gonna update to the beta firmware. Thanks for the heads up!

Rich!

Yeah, that's it.

Also, it being functional as a Wii U Pro Controller also means you can use a SNES30 pad with GameCube games via Nintendont on the Wii U!

Yeah, that's it.

Also, it being functional as a Wii U Pro Controller also means you can use a SNES30 pad with GameCube games via Nintendont on the Wii U!

Has anyone confirmed if it works with the Mayflash Wii U Pro adapter for PC? That would be about a thousand times better than trying to use bluetooth on Windows.

Sophia

Has anyone confirmed if it works with the Mayflash Wii U Pro adapter for PC? That would be about a thousand times better than trying to use bluetooth on Windows.

Wait, why would you need the Wii U Pro Adapter? Your 8Bitdo controller should function as a standard DirectInput controller out of the box via USB.

Wait, why would you need the Wii U Pro Adapter? Your 8Bitdo controller should function as a standard DirectInput controller out of the box via USB.

Of course, via USB. If you want to use it wirelessly, though, it seems like the Mayflash adapter would be the best choice, because Bluetooth is really finicky on Windows. Also, unless I've missed another feature of a firmware update, the SNES/SFC30 doesn't support xinput (and the ones that do support xinput only do over USB), so that would be another benefit of using it.

I'm not advocating buying the Mayflash adapter or anything. I already have one, so I was wondering if it would work. I'll have to wait a couple days before I can test it.

Rich!

I've never had any issues with using it via Bluetooth on windows. Using the stock Bluetooth stack, Windows 10. I do have a decent £12 Bluetooth adapter though, so maybe if you have a 99p cheapo one that may be why - I had huge issues with my Bluetooth headphones until I got a better adapter.

Sophia

Of course, via USB. If you want to use it wirelessly, though, it seems like the Mayflash adapter would be the best choice, because Bluetooth is really finicky on Windows. Also, unless I've missed another feature of a firmware update, the SNES/SFC30 doesn't support xinput (and the ones that do support xinput only do over USB), so that would be another benefit of using it.

I'm not advocating buying the Mayflash adapter or anything. I already have one, so I was wondering if it would work. I'll have to wait a couple days before I can test it.

Oh, I see what you're trying to do. I was just wondering why you'd use the Mayflash adapter.... hmm, it might work? Sadly I don't have said adapter to test.

I've never had any issues with using it via Bluetooth on windows. Using the stock Bluetooth stack, Windows 10. I do have a decent £12 Bluetooth adapter though, so maybe if you have a 99p cheapo one that may be why - I had huge issues with my Bluetooth headphones until I got a better adapter.

Most of my experience with it is trying to use it with the built-in bluetooth on laptops. The big issue is that it never wants to automatically connect, so I always had to manually pair the controller each time I wanted to use it.

I see in the firmware changelog that some of the beta updates have been to make auto-connection work better, so maybe I'll give it another try.

Sophia

The latest firmware (also including the beta v2.68 firmware) for the SNES30 is still messed up. At least over USB. All the buttons work, but it show four extra buttons (3,6,9,10) that do not actually do anything.

fourphantombuttons4ms82.png

The v2.52 firmware doesn't have this problem tho. No phantom buttons there. But unfortunately it's also missing several features.

playXray

FWIW I've just sold mine after getting seemingly unresolvable problems with Linux. They are so well made from a hardware point of view that they are impressive just to hold, but the software still seems to have a few issues.

Card Boy

Banned
Fuck i think i got scammed on a SNES30 Pro. 40 days and still not here. ebay sellers account is no longer registered. Paypal dispute here i go!

Last saturday I got a SFC30, and I'm tempted to return it.

I decided to directly try it with Super Mario World on Higan Balanced, and it's the first time I die on the first world. The jumps feel delayed. i first I though it was that there was input lag from the bluetooth connection, but it looks like it is a matter of the distance the button has to make from the resting possition to being pressed.

I've played this game on the original hardware recently, emulated and played it with a Dual Shock 4, and I have never had issues. Is it just me? I have to wonder if this is how a real brand new snes gamepad behaved.

Top Bottom