• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Is the only difference between the NES30 and SNES30 the shell?
Function-wise I suppose they are. They have different firmware and the button feel is so different that they probably have different PCBs inside, so I wouldn't really think of them as literally the same aside from the shell. But sure, they have identical function.

Function-wise I suppose they are. They have different firmware and the button feel is so different that they probably have different PCBs inside, so I wouldn't really think of them as literally the same aside from the shell. But sure, they have identical function.
Does the NES30 actually feel like an NES controller like the SNES30 feels like a SNES controller?

Well i have spoke my peace on how the dpads on the 8bitdo controllers are flawed for directional input and i can confirm its awful for Ultra Street Fighter II using switch compatability. The official pro controller exhibits the same problem so we still have a major lack of a good dpad on switch.

On my dpad quest i did find the Hori Fighting Commander. It is native for pc/ps3/ps4 and features a 6 button layout. Really a near flawless controller but it is wired. I have high hopes for the hori switch controller.

I really wish 8bitdo would revise their dpad hardware. They feel so nice until you start needing accurate diagonals.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I wish 8bitdo made a wireless 6 button Genesis controller with a receiver for that respective console, now that'd be something I'd use

You mean a wireless NES controller with only the basic layout, RetroUSB is making something similar to that, albeit with small grips on the side?

Yeah, definitely keeping an eye on that one.

It's just a damn shame that 8bitdo got so damn close with making a wireless NES controller and mucked it up by adding two (four) extra buttons.

Jazzem

Aye, unfortunately I don't recommend this (based on the FC30) for a myriad of reasons, many of which are echoing other sentiments raised here:

- The dpad's proving terrible as others have said for Street Fighter, with unintended directions frequently registering. Just moving between left and right causes many jumps and crouches.

- I've had a bugger of a time trying to connect it to the Switch, often not working on the sync screen and sometimes not linking up even after I've gone through that process. Especially maddening when going between using it on PC and then on Switch.

- The lead it came with would only charge the pad and nothing more, had to use my mobile's USB cable to update the firmware or play games with it on PC.

- I'm not keen on the face buttons, they're not particularly easy on the thumb and require more force compared to the pro controller or joycons.

- Perhaps most alarming of all, my Switch starting locking with this error message when I'd turn the pad on to connect it:

3i3DokZ.jpg

(image taken from Reddit but it was the same error code)

Until I desynced and resynced the controller, this would happen every time I'd press a button to set it as player one. As of now the controller's linked up fine, but it wouldn't surprise me if this came up again in the future or I'd have trouble connecting it again.

Sakwoff

I've had an SFC30 for about a year now, and I've honestly never had the diagonals issue.

To check, I fired up a fighting game (Garou) with​ it and I couldn't produce it, even though I actually tried for a while. My NES30 Pro that I got last thursday also does not have the issue. Either there is production variation or they've fixed later batches.

I've had an SFC30 for about a year now, and I've honestly never had the diagonals issue.

To check, I fired up a fighting game (Garou) with​ it and I couldn't produce it, even though I actually tried for a while. My NES30 Pro that I got last thursday also does not have the issue. Either there is production variation or they've fixed later batches.

Load up Metal Slug and test by calling diagonals. Say "shoot diagonal up left" and attempt to shoot that direction. Then call a different one. You will get missed inputs. There have been no revisions.

Seems like the latest update has made it compatible with the Sony Android TVs. Works on my X800D. Perfect setup for emulation.

Retroarch is working great on my TV now as well.

I've got a SFC30 and I've been using to play Super Mario World on an emulator. Does anyone know how I could get an input display to show my inputs in real-time?

I've tried NintendoSpy but the SFC30 isn't registered as a SNES controller, but as a generic pad so it'll only show as an Xbox 360 pad and the bindings are all weird.

I've got a SFC30 and I've been using to play Super Mario World on an emulator. Does anyone know how I could get an input display to show my inputs in real-time?

I've tried NintendoSpy but the SFC30 isn't registered as a SNES controller, but as a generic pad so it'll only show as an Xbox 360 pad and the bindings are all weird.
What OS?

spons

Gold Member
Just saw a couple of SNES30s at my Media Markt here. How is pairing with multiple devices? I want to use it via Bluetooth on my Raspberry Pi/Retropie but also wired with my PC. Does this "just work"? I really can't imagine anything going wrong, but having to manually re-pair it with my Retropie setup after using it wired on my computer sounds slightly irritating.

Just saw a couple of SNES30s at my Media Markt here. How is pairing with multiple devices? I want to use it via Bluetooth on my Raspberry Pi/Retropie but also wired with my PC. Does this "just work"? I really can't imagine anything going wrong, but having to manually re-pair it with my Retropie setup after using it wired on my computer sounds slightly irritating.
You should be good

Windows 10 (64 Bit)
Try this?
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/gamepad-display.3/

Big Nikus

So there's no serious issue with this controller ? I was thinking of buying one.
So far I've been using this Gamecube Hori Pad with an USB adapter :

I love this controller but I need the "real thing" with regular SNES face buttons :p

YMMV but Fry's has the SNES versions of these on slight sale/clearance ($30 instead of $35). They had a ton of the SNES ones but only one SFC left so I snagged it. Really solid quality. More authentic than those Buffalo reproduction USB controllers you see on Amazon and the like. Forgot that the SFC doesn't have the Convex Y and X buttons so that took a bit of getting used to. Overall it's really solid and convenient if a tad bit on the pricey side.

Load up Metal Slug and test by calling diagonals. Say "shoot diagonal up left" and attempt to shoot that direction. Then call a different one. You will get missed inputs. There have been no revisions.
I notice the issue playing on android, but it doesn't exist when I connect it to the Switch.

I can barely do a hadoken on snes9x on Street Fighter 2, it's not registering the diagonal inputs properly. But I have no issues when using it on Street Fighter 2 on Switch, it works flawlessly. So, could be an issue with the way the emulator handles inputs from a controller without actual diagonal contacts on the dpad? I don't know.

So, google returns some links that suggest that you can update the firmware for this in linux.

However, it appears that while this may have been true at one point, it is no longer the case? fwupdmgr can see it, but it doesn't seem to be aware of any updates.

Intricate

Neo Member
Does anyone have any ideas or things to try to get the Robert Broglia emulators on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 to function without, or with minimal, input lag when using an 8bitdo NES30 Pro? When connected as a Bluetooth controller everything works fine except the lag. I've tried another NES emulator, for instance, and it doesn't have perceptible lag so I don't THINK it's the hardware. But I would like to get the Broglia emulators working with this controller instead.

I've adjusted the screen FPS to match the tablet, as often suggested elsewhere, but to no avail. It feels like there is a setting or two that should fix it but darned if I can figure it out.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I disagree with this. The dpad on the Buffalo has much better diagonals.

The buffalo felt very stiff to me, but in fairness I haven't played a lot of games with the 8bitdo that require diagonal so maybe you are right. I'm gonna try and get some SF2 Turbo time in this week so we'll see.

Big Nikus

The buffalo felt very stiff to me, but in fairness I haven't played a lot of games with the 8bitdo that require diagonal so maybe you are right. I'm gonna try and get some SF2 Turbo time in this week so we'll see.

Well I've read everything and its opposite on this controllers. I was watching youtube reviews and they don't mention any issue with the 8bitdo Dpad. This one actually praises the 8bitdo and says that the dpad of the Buffalo is too stiff...
I'm leaning towards the 8bitdo because it seems to be of better quality and if the bluetooth works well it'll be worth it. I guess I'll order on amazon and return it if I feel the diagonals don't work well.

YouTube reviews usually consist of a few seconds of demo real test footage and no comparisons. "It works, so it's perfect". They are done because they got something free or don't want to be seen overly negative. They self propagate due to others saying they are good. They are rarely critically tested, as proven by the basic lack of criticism of the Switch Pro controller outside of neogaf. I am no YouTuber so I don't have my own video, but the ibuffalo dpad is far more accurate. It might not feel as nice but it is accurate. The Switch Pro and 8bitdo are less accurate. The Hori Fighting Commander is accurate. The Wii Classic and Classic Pro controllers are accurate but require a laggy wiimote connection. The Wii U Pro controller is probably the best wireless based solution for an accurate dpad (PS4 isn't bad but lacks the feel of a proper cross style pad).

Big Nikus

YouTube reviews usually consist of a few seconds of demo real test footage and no comparisons. "It works, so it's perfect". They are done because they got something free or don't want to be seen overly negative. They self propagate due to others saying they are good.

That's what I started to think after watching a few of them, and people giving better criticism in the comments...
I think I'll pass then, I'll keep using my hybrid GC/Snes Hori controller. It would be nice if 8Bitdo made a revised model though.

I've always used a buffalo but got the 8bitdo recently and the dpad feels very stiff in comparison. It just feels weird. Maybe it'll loosen up after a while

Justinh

I know this was directed at dock but I want to chime in and ask for my own advice.

I have had a lot of luck with my 8bitdo playing -MOST- games. The trouble is some of my favorite games (Contra, Super-C, Contra III The Alien Wars, and Contra Hard Corps) suck.

Here is the reason.

arrow.png

Diagonals suck. I am always having diagonals register incorrectly with my SNES 30 8bitdo.
I get this is an 5-month old post, but I had this experience with my 8bitdo too. I hate the d-pad on the 8bitdo controller I have (the NES30) after I tried using it on my retrousb AVS with Super C. They're just so hard to hit (on mine) that I stopped using it altogether.

bionic77

I had imperceptible lag with a dual shock 4 on my Mac. The SFC30 was making me miss jumps and everything with the timing.
I also get there was lag playing on a pie but I did not know if that was the controller, software or the hardware.

I need to try it on Switch to see if it was the controller or something else.

It is a nice controller and feels great.

breadtruck

I considered on of those, but the I read the wireless was spotty with some people, so I went wired. First, I had bought a Buffalo SNES controller, but after a couple days use I felt it was kinda crappy, plus my start button was glitchy. I returned it as defective.

Then I bought a Pokken controller.
Yeah, it looks funny, but this is a great controller. Works exactly how i expect it to. No lag, no missed presses, perfection.

I have both, and the Buffalo dpad is terrible for me. I could not pull off consistent half circle or srk motions with it, whereas with the 8bitdo I have near 100% accuracy. Granted, maybe the Buffalo pad I got was a dud, but it did not leave a good impression on me. It only cost $10 though so I figured it was a case of getting what you pay for.

I also get there was lag playing on a pie but I did not know if that was the controller, software or the hardware.

I need to try it on Switch to see if it was the controller or something else.

It is a nice controller and feels great.

The feel was so damn good on the controller. That's why the lag hurt so much. Everything else was damn near perfect.

dock

I have both, and the Buffalo dpad is terrible for me. I could not pull off consistent half circle or srk motions with it, whereas with the 8bitdo I have near 100% accuracy. Granted, maybe the Buffalo pad I got was a dud, but it did not leave a good impression on me. It only cost $10 though so I figured it was a case of getting what you pay for.
Ah, that's pretty interesting. Did your Buffalo come boxed? I wonder whether there are different qualities, or a cheaper batch floating around.

I still feel like there is a bit of lag with my 8bitdo, but it's possible that it's psychological at this point. I should do a wired vs unwired blind test on my PC.

I really like that they made the 8bitdo controller Xinput based for this update. It really helps because there are a so many Steam games that (obnoxiously) only support Xinput.

spons

Gold Member
You should be good

Yup, it works. Seems that every mode has its own pairing independent of each other.

It pairs perfectly with RetroPie, though I seemed to have to use it wired first to "install" a gamepad, then pair it using Bluetooth, then configure it again.

http://gizmodo.com/this-snes-style-nintendo-switch-controller-is-designed-1795858424

kKOGulX.jpg

Based on the curvy design of the Super Nintendo controller, the SNES30 Pro has the familiar directional pad on its left side, with Y, X, B, and A buttons on the right. But it adds a pair of analog joysticks to the mix, positioned similar to where you'd find them on the Playstation's DualShock controller, as well as additional shoulder buttons to match what the Switch's Joy-Con controllers can do, and a USB-C charging port.

OMG

Got my NES30 Pro in the mail today and got it working with my PC and Switch with no issues. Wii U is a different matter, entirely, so far no luck whatsoever. Did the Switch update remove Wii U compatibility. Now that I'm on their website, the Wii U is greyed out on the compatibility page.

Brhoom

Banned
I'm wanting one for my Snes since the console is too far away from the couch, is there any problems I should be aware of when pairing with an Snes? How's the lag? I'm playing on a crt btw

j-wood

I'm just now hearing about these and they look awesome. Can anyone tell me how well the super nintendo one work with an ipad pro and apple tv? I'd like to play crashlands, KOTOR, etc with it.

bronk

Banned
No you're right the buffalo dpad is stiff as hell I couldn't use it at all. I want to try the 8bitdo

wanders

Aye, unfortunately I don't recommend this (based on the FC30) for a myriad of reasons, many of which are echoing other sentiments raised here:

- The dpad's proving terrible as others have said for Street Fighter, with unintended directions frequently registering. Just moving between left and right causes many jumps and crouches.

- I've had a bugger of a time trying to connect it to the Switch, often not working on the sync screen and sometimes not linking up even after I've gone through that process. Especially maddening when going between using it on PC and then on Switch.

- The lead it came with would only charge the pad and nothing more, had to use my mobile's USB cable to update the firmware or play games with it on PC.

- I'm not keen on the face buttons, they're not particularly easy on the thumb and require more force compared to the pro controller or joycons.

- Perhaps most alarming of all, my Switch starting locking with this error message when I'd turn the pad on to connect it:

3i3DokZ.jpg

(image taken from Reddit but it was the same error code)

Until I desynced and resynced the controller, this would happen every time I'd press a button to set it as player one. As of now the controller's linked up fine, but it wouldn't surprise me if this came up again in the future or I'd have trouble connecting it again.

Yup I don't understand what all the buzz is about. I bought the controllers for my switch and they play HORRIBLY on Bomberman and especially on Tetris.

Justinh

Unrelated to 8bitdo but I felt it's worthwhile to post here as it's a wireless retro controller

RetroUSB's wireless NES gamepad and receiver is up for purchase, and offers competition to 8bitdo's own NES controller with 100 hours of battery life, almost nonexistent input lag; large signal distance

Yeah, I ordered mine last night. Excited to get it. Supposedly all the inputs are handled by microswitches and there is not a rubber membrane inside.

It is a good 20something bucks more than an 8bitdo with a receiver though. wrong!

edit: think this is probably a better pic to post.

Yeah, I ordered mine last night (anticipating ordering another on payday-the first). Excited to get it. Supposedly all the inputs are handled by microswitches and there is not a rubber membrane inside.

It is almost twice the price of some 8bitdos I think though...

8bitdo's NES controller + receiver combo's only ~$5 less than RetroUSB's offering

Though there is the fact that 8bitdo's receiver can be used with most bluetooth controllers, or even using their gamepad for use on other consoles or PC

So it's a choice of either having more options with using what you get on more devices or having as close to an NES experience as possible at the cost of what you're getting will only work on the NES

Justinh

8bitdo's NES controller + receiver combo's only ~$5 less than RetroUSB's offering
Doh!
You're right, I was looking at this one where it's like a set with controller and receiver, but I didn't notice it was for an NES classic wireless receiver.

I'm excited to get my new controller though. I've been a big fan of all the other retrozone stuff I have (AVS, PowerPak).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
When're these schlubs gonna get to making a Genesis/Saturn-style controller? There's tons of classic games that really benefit from 6 face buttons.

Baleoce

When're these schlubs gonna get to making a Genesis/Saturn-style controller? There's tons of classic games that really benefit from 6 face buttons.

For real. I want a high quality reproduction of the Saturn Mk2 controller. Or Genesis Mk2.

Top Bottom