• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 8Bitdo SNES30/SFC30 is the best (retro) controller I have ever owned.

me0wish

Last saturday I got a SFC30, and I'm tempted to return it.

I decided to directly try it with Super Mario World on Higan Balanced, and it's the first time I die on the first world. The jumps feel delayed. i first I though it was that there was input lag from the bluetooth connection, but it looks like it is a matter of the distance the button has to make from the resting possition to being pressed.

I've played this game on the original hardware recently, emulated and played it with a Dual Shock 4, and I have never had issues. Is it just me? I have to wonder if this is how a real brand new snes gamepad behaved.

It's not just you, the 8bitdo controllers aren't that great.

It's not just you, the 8bitdo controllers aren't that great.

I should have checked the whole thread before buying it, but it was an impulse purchase.

So, the buttons seem to be almost 1:1 in shape with snes, but the problem is the membrane. I'm tempted to open it and switch the membrane with my secondary snes pad. Damn, If I knew this was going to hapen I would have kept for parts a superbroken pad that came with one of the consoles. No big differences on the d-pad.

Well, glad to see that this time the pad is to blame and not my aging reflexes. I was playing SMW on the original hardware just one week ago, so the difference is obviously noticeable.

Btw, although the plastic is better than a lot of knock off modern third party chinese snes controllers, it's not on par with the original. It feels rough.

GuyKazama

I should have checked the whole thread before buying it, but it was an impulse purchase.

So, the buttons seem to be almost 1:1 in shape with snes, but the problem is the membrane. I'm tempted to open it and switch the membrane with my secondary snes pad. Damn, If I knew this was going to hapen I would have kept for parts a superbroken pad that came with one of the consoles. No big differences on the d-pad.

Well, glad to see that this time the pad is to blame and not my aging reflexes. I was playing SMW on the original hardware just one week ago, so the difference is obviously noticeable.

Btw, although the plastic is better than a lot of knock off modern third party chinese snes controllers, it's not on par with the original. It feels rough.

I'm curious to see how a button swap works out. Looks like a simple procedure: http://muchreviews.com/index.php/8bitdo-sfc30-vs-original-snes-teardown/

d58e7

I just noticed on the last retroarch update it said that the input lag has been reduced. Do people notice a difference with this controller or is the lag still really bad?

mstevens

Do these work out of the box with raspberry pi if you're wired in through the usb? I know it can be a pain with Bluetooth, but I'm just curious about wired.

Zojirushi

I recently got one of those iBuffalo SNES pads for PC. It was 10 bucks and had great reviews on Amazon so I said eff it.

Honestly it feels pretty decent, the Digi Cross feels a little stiffer than but I like it, makes it feel more durable. Also my original SNES pads are super worn out so it might simply be that.

Haven't got it working on RetroArch yet, this things are always directinput right? Do I need to change anything else. Was using my Xbox one and 360 pads just fine up until now.

TriAceJP

I was going to buy a pair of the SNES style controllers to go with a Raspberry Pi 3. Is that currently not recommended?

Rongolian

Banned
I just noticed on the last retroarch update it said that the input lag has been reduced. Do people notice a difference with this controller or is the lag still really bad?

I use both the SFC30 and SNES30 with my retroarch setup and I don't notice any more lag than my XRGB Mini with my original SNES. I can't recommend these controllers enough.

I've replaced the rubber under the buttons. In the end I also added the original snes buttons and the rubber under the d-pad. The test is the same as the last week: Super Mario World on Higan balanced with sfc30 (bluetooth and latest firmware) vs wired DS4 vs Original NTSC snes.

- The results are better, but not perfect. Despite now being able to time the jumps, it still feels off and notice a delay. It improved after enabling game mode on the tv, but still.

- Dual Shock 4 wired is the one that gives the closest feel to playing it on snes.

- Not even Higan comes close to the feel on the original hardware.

- I did the opposite experiment, using the rubber and buttons on a real snes gamepad. It feels a bit harder than a real gamepad, but I still could obtain results comparable to my main snes gamepad. So this would mean that it's not only the rubber and buttons causing problems on the sfc30. There's something else that adds to the delay and time to press the button.

For the record, I did not like what I found opening the SFC30. The L R buttons use a bending system instead of the metallic piece to move around found in an original snes gamepad. The buttons on the sfc30 return due to plastic going back to its originall shape, while in the snes being the rubber the one that pushes it back.

My final opinion is that if you are planning on playing seriously, don't waste money on this. The DS4 is the best modern gamepad for playing d-pad intensive games right now.

silentQ

I've replaced the rubber under the buttons. In the end I also added the original snes buttons and the rubber under the d-pad. The test is the same as the last week: Super Mario World on Higan balanced with sfc30 (bluetooth and latest firmware) vs wired DS4 vs Original NTSC snes.

- The results are better, but not perfect. Despite now being able to time the jumps, it still feels off and notice a delay. It improved after enabling game mode on the tv, but still.

- Dual Shock 4 wired is the one that gives the closest feel to playing it on snes.

- Not even Higan comes close to the feel on the original hardware.

- I did the opposite experiment, using the rubber and buttons on a real snes gamepad. It feels a bit harder than a real gamepad, but I still could obtain results comparable to my main snes gamepad. So this would mean that it's not only the rubber and buttons causing problems on the sfc30. There's something else that adds to the delay and time to press the button.

For the record, I did not like what I found opening the SFC30. The L R buttons use a bending system instead of the metallic piece to move around found in an original snes gamepad. The buttons on the sfc30 return due to plastic going back to its originall shape, while in the snes being the rubber the one that pushes it back.

My final opinion is that if you are planning on playing seriously, don't waste money on this. The DS4 is the best modern gamepad for playing d-pad intensive games right now.

If your using retropie have you tried updating and using the dispmanx video driver. In a pretty intensive experimentation it cuts down a whole frame of input lag on the pi. Just thought I would mention that.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2019/an-input-lag-investigation

bionic77

Do these work out of the box with raspberry pi if you're wired in through the usb? I know it can be a pain with Bluetooth, but I'm just curious about wired.
I could not get it to work via BT on the Pi3 but it worked immediately via USB.

Did not notice lag either (any more than what you should expect playing emulated games on a LCD).

Any input lag you experience with this controller can be mitigated through RetroPie and Retroarch settings. There's a setting called Frame Lock I think? I can't remember. Google it!

The problem I'm having with it (I actually have a NES30 Pro, not the SNES30) is that the d-pad is way too sensitive. When I use the d-pad to go down the list of games in a system, it often "slips" to the left or right and I end up switching systems. It's a real drag. Anyone know any hardware tweaks or fixes that would help with this?

Pyrrhus

I bought one of these in a fit of greed and it arrived today. Sad to say I think I wasted my money. Input lag is pretty bad.

I bought one of these in a fit of greed and it arrived today. Sad to say I think I wasted my money. Input lag is pretty bad.
Using what setup? I take it you're sure it's the controller and have tested your setup with another controller?

Mine works fine for my uses (Pico-8) with no lag.

Rongolian

Banned
Using what setup? I take it you're sure it's the controller and have tested your setup with another controller?

Mine works fine for my uses (Pico-8) with no lag.

I also don't understand these complaints. My 8bitdo controllers have 0 lag when used with the bluetooth dongle on my computer or the retro receiver for the NES.

Sophia

I'd like to see a test with actual equipment to see if the controller has lag vs other controllers. I certainly have not noticed it in games.

I hear lots of people making that claim, but without any test results to back it up.

Tealmann

I just bought an 8bitdo Zero, but apparently these don't have Wii, PS3, or Xinput modes like the others, unless all of those just aren't mentioned.

Kinda dissapointing.

Sophia

I just bought an 8bitdo Zero, but apparently these don't have Wii, PS3, or Xinput modes like the others, unless all of those just aren't mentioned.

Kinda dissapointing.

It should work on PS3 wired? That accepts standard DirectInput at any rate.

3DShovel

Played through plenty 'o SNES games with this thing, never noticed any kind of lag whatsoever.

In fact, just ordered one of those wireless receivers for SNES so I can try this bad boy on real hardware. Absolutely love this controller.

Also cool to see that they sell these in store at Best Buy in Canada, which is really really neat. If I end up in a Best Buy maybe I'll pick up a second one for multiplayer fun.

Card Boy

Banned
Fuck i think i got scammed on a SNES30 Pro. 40 days and still not here. ebay sellers account is no longer registered. Paypal dispute here i go!

Are the 8bitdo controllers a hot scam item or something? i bought another one for a bit extra because the seller advertised it as local with 4-9 days delivery and its being 17 days now. It is not looking good at all.

I got my refund on the quoted item. Fuck this shit i'm going to go an iBuffalo if i can find one.

snipah

Neo Member
Is there any way to connect the NES30 pro to a PSP Go? I tried to pair it via a PS3 with the Beta-PS3-Firmware on the controller. Paring worked but when I was asked to unplug everything and press the "PS-Button" it did not work.

Can anyone tell me, if pairing is possible and if yes, how exactly is has to be done!

Lynd7

So the NES pads with the retro receiver, do they add extra lag? Thinking maybe getting one at some point for my AVS.

Rongolian

Banned
So the NES pads with the retro receiver, do they add extra lag? Thinking maybe getting one at some point for my AVS.

FWIW, I used the manual latency tester on the 240p test suite and got no additional lag when using the retro receiver and the 8bitdo controllers for both the NES and SNES

FWIW, I used the manual latency tester on the 240p test suite and got no additional lag when using the retro receiver and the 8bitdo controllers for both the NES and SNES
Bravo. That's the sort of confirmation we need.

As previously mentioned there were some recent code reordering changes to the core of Retroarch and other emulators to reduce lag.

(Basically moving the controller polling from one end of the main loop to the other.)

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an equivalent in quality of reproduction for a bluetooth Genesis controller? Doesn't even have to have a console adapter, I'm just looking for something to use with my computer.

Is there an equivalent in quality of reproduction for a bluetooth Genesis controller? Doesn't even have to have a console adapter, I'm just looking for something to use with my computer.
Not as yet from these guys.

Closest you can get is the "Fukkokuban" or "Reprint" USB Sega Saturn Control Pad for Windows / Mac. Very expensive.

There are some more affordable non-SEGA manufactured versions, but they feel... not as good.

deleted

The wireless N64 controller is now available for purchase. I just can't figure out how to use their seller site :p

Won't let me create a non wholesale account, when I create one, it won't let me log in, because I didn't have to set a PW. After resetting the PW, the site says my account isn't active yet. Anyone here got through that process?

Sophia

Something I haven't heard people talk about, but the latest firmware for the NES30/SNES30 line (and I presume others) has a remap tool included. This actually solves one of the earlier issues I had with the controller and makes it fully usable in anything. Well done, 8bitdo. \o/

2016-10-26Firmware v2.70 for Windows & MacOS
1.Support remapping the buttons by the RemapTools on Gamepad Mode(Power on with START button).
NOTE: RemapTools runs on PC.

remapmvkxc.png

EDIT: Well guess I spoke too soon? Doesn't seem to actually work as far as remapping it for me. Drat. : \

Seik

Banned
I'm REALLY tempted to grab the NES30PRO at best buy during my vacations, to go along my Raspberry Pi 3 or whatever Android device I shall play with in the future...

This is a thing of beauty, but is it a quality product?

NES30-Pro.jpg

Some reviews on Amazon seems to have problems with the D-Pad after a while, anyone faced issues with it?

Something I haven't heard people talk about, but the latest firmware for the NES30/SNES30 line (and I presume others) has a remap tool included. This actually solves one of the earlier issues I had with the controller and makes it fully usable in anything. Well done, 8bitdo. \o/

EDIT: Well guess I spoke too soon? Doesn't seem to actually work as far as remapping it for me. Drat. : \

Just got the SFC30 as an early xmas present. This worked for me for remapping with steam games: http://www.8bitdo.com/xpad.html

I was able to open that up with the controller connected, click the xbox one looking tab at the top, and it just worked. It seems to hold even when I turn the controller off. I did have to redo it last night, but I wonder if that was because I started using another controller on the same bluetooth adapter in between.

Triteon

I have two of the nes30, they were a gift along with a retropi for my b-day.

Im not a massive retro gamer, i dont have a snes lying around but something feels off i sont know if its the controller, tv, or what, it feels laggy or something.

Problem is i have nothing to check against.

Ill try using my monitor see if that helps.

Sophia

Just got the SFC30 as an early xmas present. This worked for me for remapping with steam games: http://www.8bitdo.com/xpad.html

I was able to open that up with the controller connected, click the xbox one looking tab at the top, and it just worked. It seems to hold even when I turn the controller off. I did have to redo it last night, but I wonder if that was because I started using another controller on the same bluetooth adapter in between.

Yeah this feature is a godsend too. 8Bitdo is really good at supporting their controllers.

The default bindings make it impossible to hit start (and thus open the menu or hit continue) in Dariusburst.

The only problem with this tool is that it doesn't hide the SNES30 as far as I know, meaning you can get multiple inputs in games that support both.

I have two of the nes30, they were a gift along with a retropi for my b-day.

Im not a massive retro gamer, i dont have a snes lying around but something feels off i sont know if its the controller, tv, or what, it feels laggy or something.

Problem is i have nothing to check against.

Ill try using my monitor see if that helps.

Some people claim the controller has input lag. I'm not sure if it's specific to Bluetooth mode or what. I use it by USB, and the only thing that feels off is that the D-Pad is a little bit different from what's used in the actual NES/SNES controllers. Not enough to bother me tho, because it's still one of my best gamepads.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
just got a FC30 pro for christmas <3

But one Question: there is a foil on the metal frontplate..am I supposed to remove that? i googled and found nothing..

jackal27

Banned
I'm REALLY tempted to grab the NES30PRO at best buy during my vacations, to go along my Raspberry Pi 3 or whatever Android device I shall play with in the future...

This is a thing of beauty, but is it a quality product?

NES30-Pro.jpg

Some reviews on Amazon seems to have problems with the D-Pad after a while, anyone faced issues with it?

I have a ton of problems with it from button travel to the click-y stuff Dpad. Wish I had never bought it. Should have stuck with my Mayflash Wii U Pro adapter.

linkboy

I've got the following controllers

FC30 Pro
NES30 Pro
SFC30

I don't care for the dpad on the FC30/NES30 Pro, but the SFC 30 has been nothing short of amazing.

I also went and picked up the retro receivers for the NES and SNES and games play perfectly on my SFC and AVS. I've plowed the A Link to the Past, Mario World, Mega Man X, Punchout, Mega Man 2 without any lag or issues using my SFC30 with the respective retro adapters.

More then happy with the SFC30.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing for a few hours now and the only thing I don't like about this controller is that the dpad is too sensitive.

like I push left and my thumb is a little bit to high and the character not only walks left but also a little bit up.
is this normal for this controllers, or is something broken?
everything else is great.

dock

I finally got myself a windows 10 based HTPC so I'd like to use my 8bitdo SNES controller to play some stuff. However… I'm having a lot of problems with mapping!

The default mapping is awful! I'm trying to use Xpadder to apply it to cursors and ZXC+Enter keys but I'm finding Steam Big Picture and a bunch of games will clash the cursors and joystick BOTH being detected.

How do you setup the 8bitdo to work sensibly?

dock

I upgraded the firmware on my 8bitdo, and grabbed Xpad for remapping, which seems to work in some cases. However, I'm finding the input is flickering on and off. Which of the bluetooth modes gives the most stable connect? Should I be using R+START or just START?

Rongolian

Banned
I upgraded the firmware on my 8bitdo, and grabbed Xpad for remapping, which seems to work in some cases. However, I'm finding the input is flickering on and off. Which of the bluetooth modes gives the most stable connect? Should I be using R+START or just START?

I use R+START for playing emulators, as I found this was the only way to get a second controller connection using the same bluetooth module in Retroarch.

With the retro receivers, I use the normal START. Neither one ever drops connection for me though, I only use the different modes for the multiplayer scenario.

Chinbo37

I was looking to get something for my Samsung S7 for playing games mostly emulators but with the analog stick in case of playing PS1 games.

I want something with a small form factor.

Is the NES30PRO an option or not? The opinions in this thread seem to range from amazing to garbage so Im not sure.

Rongolian

Banned
I was looking to get something for my Samsung S7 for playing games mostly emulators but with the analog stick in case of playing PS1 games.

I want something with a small form factor.

Is the NES30PRO an option or not? The opinions in this thread seem to range from amazing to garbage so Im not sure.

The NES30PRO's analog stick is incredibly underwhelming, I really dislike it. I've stated it before but 8bitdo's PRO series controllers don't hold a candle to their clone controllers, which are excellent.

Chinbo37

The NES30PRO's analog stick is incredibly underwhelming, I really dislike it. I've stated it before but 8bitdo's PRO series controllers don't hold a candle to their clone controllers, which are excellent.

So that means you recommend just the regular 8bitdo controllers (the ones that look like the NES and SNES controllers)?

Rongolian

Banned
So that means you recommend just the regular 8bitdo controllers (the ones that look like the NES and SNES controllers)?

Correct, the NES30, SNES30, and SFC30 all feel identical or even superior to OEM Nintendo controllers. If you do need an analog stick, I always go back to my Dualshock 4 and hook that up via bluetooth, I'm unsure how easy that is to do on android though.

dock

In general I regret buying my 8bitdo controller, as I have never been able to play games reliably with it on the PC.
The Buffalo SNES controller is a better controller imo.

Top Bottom