• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspect - Review Thread

glaurung

I was hovering my mouse button over the limited edition PS4 buy button on Amazon UK yesterday.

But I did not click it. And now this thread has confirmed my worries.

£15 bargain bin purchase it is.

I'm all in for games that try to not really too much on repetitive combat. Might just get this when I'm done with Wotch_Dawgs and Wolfenstein.

edit: Also LA Noire is like my GOAT and this might just scratch that detective itch.

AW60qZk.png

The main character's design is really what gets to me. Sleeve tattoos, a fedora, black tie on black shirt AND a black vest?

It's like the design team on this was made up of a neckbeard, a middling street magician and a Hot Topic shopper.

Yeah, they were really going all-out with this one.

The first time I saw a preview for this game GAF had conditioned me to see nothing but FEDORA FEDORA FEDORA.

Taruranto

I'm always (never) surprised by the people who come in to review threads to say they don't give a fuck about reviews.

I mean

Clearly you do. You're here because you have told yourself that you're going to stick to your initial impression no matter what and are posting to reinforce your own conviction. I don't know what other point you could possibly think you're proving other than the one that you wanted it to review well, it didn't, and now you want everyone to know what a rebel you are for reviews only mattering if they agree with you.

Maybe they are trying to point out that reviews shouldn't be trusted, since more often than not, niche games get shat on because the writers didn't get their doritos' check.

Now, I don't know whatever this Murderered: Soul Suspect is good or not, but I sure wouldn't trust "game journalism" to tell me.

Maybe they are trying to point out that reviews shouldn't be trusted, since more often than not, niche games get shat on because the writers didn't get their doritos' check.

Now, I don't know whatever this Murderered: Soul Suspect is good or not, but I sure wouldn't trust "game journalism" to tell me.
MoBmkmq.png

?!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
:( Sad to see this, but I can't say I'm surprised. I have a few friends who worked on this (some of them left the studio few months ago) and they all said this game had bad development problems. From what I was told the game kept switching gameplay directions which costed a lot.

On top of that apparently there was a guy from Square Japan there helping lead the project which lead to a bit of a culture clash :/ I hope airtight gets through this, because there are great people there.

I remember someone mentioning that the game was cancelled and then brought back again also. Might have be Kagari.

It doesn't matter to me personally if the game is good or bad, I'll probably play it just to see, but I don't get the logic of going in to review threads and announcing you don't care about reviews. It's asinine.

Boss Mog

Even though I wanted this game to be good I always kind of expected these kinds of scores since they first announced it.

It'll likely be dirt cheap in a couple of weeks anyway, so there's no reason not to check it out eventually.

Support a new IP, especially one that apparently has a lot of potential so we can get a sequel that exploits that potential...

The reviews seem to be all over the place. I was really hyped for this game, but now I may end up waiting for it to drop in price before picking it up, which is a real shame.

this is kinda disappointing :(
I was looking forward to this game, had a lot of potential
guess I'll wait for a sale or something before I pick this up

Seanspeed

Banned
I'm always (never) surprised by the people who come in to review threads to say they don't give a fuck about reviews.

I mean

Clearly you do. You're here because you have told yourself that you're going to stick to your initial impression no matter what and are posting to reinforce your own conviction. I don't know what other point you could possibly think you're proving other than the one that you wanted it to review well, it didn't, and now you want everyone to know what a rebel you are for reviews only mattering if they agree with you.

Iorv3th

The reviews seem to be all over the place. I was really hyped for this game, but now I may end up waiting for it to drop in price before picking it up, which is a real shame.

Same here. Disappointing news to wake up to, however on the bright side I can save a little money?

AW60qZk.png

The main character's design is really what gets to me. Sleeve tattoos, a fedora, black tie on black shirt AND a black vest?

It's like the design team on this was made up of a neckbeard, a middling street magician and a Hot Topic shopper.
It does make sense when you play the game.

FWIW, I give it a 7. Review should be up later.

Polygon gave this a 7 on PS4.

This is a game I'm extremely interested in because it's something a bit different as a genre and I love the supernatural noire setting too. I really wanted this on the PS4 but the footage I've seen from YouTubers who were allowed by Square-Enix to show some of the early gameplay footage revealed a game rife in screen tearing on the PS4 and that is extremely disappointing.

I find tearing extremely distracting so I had no choice but to cancel my pre-order and order it for the PC instead (which is only £20 anyway vs. £44 for the PS4 so that's a definite plus). Oddly, I've seen footage of the Xbox 360 version and while it does look as nice graphically as the PS4 I did not notice any screen tearing. I'm thankful I saw those YouTube videos because I would have been annoyed by the amount of tearing if I had played the PS4 version. I really do not understand why PS4 games have any screen tearing really; it's a console with around 5-5.5 GB of fast memory, more than enough to implement triple buffering and v-sync.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I don't know why people are disappointed by reviews, it's about what was expected for the game, a lot of 6's, 7's, and 8's..

The game has received one 3/10, four 5/10 scores, four 6/10 scores, three 7/10 scores, six 8/10 scores, and two 9/10 scores (these are scaling .5's down to their number I should mention)

i dont even like to read reviews for a game like this. But do any of them say anything about major differences between last and current gen versions. I might pick it up at redbox if last gen holds up

xrnzaaas

Yep, it's probably going to be in this year's Steam holiday sale. Or on PS+ in the next 12 months. I'll wait.

stevil

Shity gameplay, strong story, interesting concept. Seems like something I would enjoy after all I liked:

To human
Alpha Protocol
Heavy rain
Etc

RalchAC

Huh? This is why scoring systems like this are flawed. If all these aren't averaged to get the final score, what is the point of having a scale like this? Do some people play games that would get a 10/10 in sound but a 1/10 with gameplay?

Well, that's quite an excesive comparisions. There are games that are better than the sum of all its parts.

I'd say Gravity Rush combat is flawed, and anybody who has played the game will agree. Yet the music, art style, story, ambientation... all that stuff is what makes it really shine despite a no so good battle system.

I remember someone mentioning that the game was cancelled and then brought back again also. Might have be Kagari.

Some of the problems reviews seem to point makes me think that budget may got cut in the middle of the project after Square Enix saw the game hadn't any hype.

I'd get it sometime. There are some Vita games I really want to buy first and there is Tales of XIllia 2, which I'll get day-one... so I can't spend my money in a game that will hit the bargain bin in 3 months :(

Dusk Golem

Since no one posted the Polygon review yet but have mentioned it a couple times.

Murdered: Soul Suspect is awash in tropes, but somehow, that's part of the charm. It's a pulpy detective tale remixed as a classic ghost story, and it works as a sort of playable B-movie. It's linear and mechanically simple, but it flows well and keeps a fast pace, at least as long as I wasn't chasing down demons. Supernatural Salem was a rich, sad, beautiful place to visit, and as it turned out, Ronan was the perfect tour guide.

Polygon - 7/10

They seemed to like it.

Rosur

Looks like I was right to wait until I've cleared more of my backlog though does look like a game I will enjoy from the reviews.

I hope it ends up as a PS+ game.

Card Boy

Banned

I mean

lol i always think this when people say they don't care about reviews when favorite game gets bad reviews.

I mean

Ma man!

Shame about the game. I will pick it up on steam some time later.

jgminto

I still want to give it a shot, if a game has a fun story/characters and some interesting ideas I can usually forgive some clunky gameplay. Hell, Deadly Premonition and Nier are my two favourite games from the last generation.

Dusk Golem

On the review talk, I think reviews do matter and I do care about them. On my note I don't let them influence my opinion though, I am curious how others view the game though, and before release see if what they say makes the game sound interesting or not to me.

I wouldn't say my opinion is in-line with mainstream reviewing, but I find their different take on the game interesting all the same.

Caramello

Damn.. I was gonna buy this.. I probably still will eventually but I can't justify buying a game like this with low review scores for full price, especially because I'm Australian and we get screwed with pricing.

Dusk Golem

Were people expecting a lot of 9s and 10s with this game or something? I'm a bit confused with people saying disappointing like it reviewed abysmally (given right now the OP has a higher focus on the lower scores and a lot of the higher scores are missing, so I'm guessing people are just looking at that and then commenting).

It's doing about how I'm expecting, polarizing opinions.

SeanTSC

Were people expecting a lot of 9s and 10s with this game or something?

I was hoping for mid 7's on average and maybe even a decent amount of 8's at the high end. That would still be a definite buy for me and a good score. Seeing a bunch of 5's and a 59 average on Metacritic so far is pretty disappointing.

Dusk Golem

I was hoping for mid 7's on average and maybe even a decent amount of 8's at the high end. That would still be a definite buy for me and a good score. Seeing a bunch of 5's and a 59 average on Metacritic so far is pretty disappointing.

To quote myself here;

It's doing exactly as I expected, opinions all over the place. Currently the game has one 3/10 review, four 5/10 reviews, four 6/10 reviews, four 7/10 reviews, six 8/10 reviews, and two 9/10 reviews (this is taking .5 scores down to the lower number, like 8.5 to 8, and taking out of 5 scores to be out of 10, like 3/5 is 6/10).

So it does have a 7 average I would say.

peakish

I don't know why people are disappointed by reviews, it's about what was expected for the game, a lot of 6's, 7's, and 8's..

The game has received one 3/10, four 5/10 scores, four 6/10 scores, three 7/10 scores, six 8/10 scores, and two 9/10 scores (these are scaling .5's down to their number I should mention)
What concerns me aren't the scores themselves, but that my worries of the game not doing enough with the concept seems to be a common point in them. Even the most positive review, MMGM's, makes the investigations seem easy (there's a lot of clues available but only a few are needed to proceed, and even guessing is a valid approach if you can live with a non-perfect "score" -- that all sounds very half baked to me), although they at least enjoyed them a lot. Story impressions go from solid to poor, which means I'll probably think it's boring.

I'm guessing that I'll enjoy the game somewhat, but not enough to justify buying right now. That's me being disappointed. Still, it'll be interesting to hear your and other's impressions in the OT -- my hype can be kickstarted by people praising the right mechanics or moments.

When I get my Xbox One back from the repair facility (just send it off today *sadface*) I might pick this up. I really liked Quantum Conundrum, it's a new IP and it's got a fresh idea so I'll support the devs and honestly,

I loved the Game of Thrones RPG by Cyanide and that game was SHREDDED by reviews so I might enjoy this as well.

malfcn

When I get my Xbox One back from the repair facility (just send it off today *sadface*) I might pick this up. I really liked Quantum Conundrum, it's a new IP and it's got a fresh idea so I'll support the devs and honestly,

I loved the Game of Thrones RPG by Cyanide and that game was SHREDDED by reviews so I might enjoy this as well.

What happened to your console?
How is the process and turn around time?

Top Bottom