• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murdered: Soul Suspect - Review Thread

Authority

Banned
Still going to get it but now I am very curious at this.

xysPKyk.png

Xbox 1 seems to get the most shit whether it is Metascore or User Score (PS4 has the same score but 3 times more ratings).

Going to keep an eye of the "final" score out of curiosity.

Authority

Banned
Damn... no hype and bad reviews... =/

To be honest it is one of those games it is better to play to see for your self (the concept is still awesome) although generally speaking and in reflection to "metacritic" the norm is that when the user scores are significantly higher than the metascore it means it is a good/solid/great game. Alternatively, I use Eurogamer reviews if I want to have some trustworthy impression from authority.

I will certainly read RelyonHorror's review as well because so far they are doing an outstanding job in my opinion. Regardless, and like I said, I will still get it.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I could endure bad graphics or framerates if the story and detective works is solid.

But the reviews are saying the story isn't so great.

:(

More of them say the story is good than not. Some even say it's one of the best detective/ghost stories in a long time (like Polygon) or saying it has good characters and mystery (like Eurogamer).

Oh lord, I completely forgot about this game. As did probably most people, so this could be this year's equivalent of Remember Me.

I probably won't have to wait long for it to drop in price.

If it is this year's Remember Me, I'll also get it for the soon-to-materialise discount. Basically, I'm interested, but I'll wait for some GAF impressions to see whether the 'raw gem' hypothesis really does hold true.

have any huge differences between current and last gen been noted anywhere yet. Planning on getting it from Redbox if they are pretty much the same

This is one of those games that I know I'll enjoy even if it has issues.

I'm just a sucker for noir/detective stuff.

I'll definitely pick it up for cheap on a steam sale.

More of them say the story is good than not. Some even say it's one of the best detective/ghost stories in a long time (like Polygon) or saying it has good characters and mystery (like Eurogamer).
They mention it loses steam toward the end.

I'd get it at a sale price because I enjoy games like these. But as of right now, it's not something id pay full price for.

Hm I wanted to pick this up... but judging by the reviews it will bomb within a few weeks to a budget price. I don't doubt it's a great game, reviewers can go fuck themselves but they're the reason the game will drop in price.

Preordered this (for cheap on Steam) so I'm probably rationalizing, but seems like this is one of those cases where adventure games can't get a break. The GB quick look made it look exactly what I wanted, a slow paced noir adventure with silly supernatural stuff.

Marjar

Banned
I gotta say, after playing a couple hours of it, I'm pretty into this.

It's at least much better than the rather low MC average would make you assume.

Green Yoshi

A German games journalist claims that the PS4-version has annoying tearing, the X1-version is locked at 30 FPS and doesn't have this problem.

Ade

No, not really. I just don't give a shit about reviewers, and they're opinions. A lot of them can be subjective. Is there something wrong with that?

Just seems an odd thing to come into a reviews thread to say. Do you visit seafood restaurants just to tell people you dislike seafood?

Fractal

Banned
Ouch... really a shame, was hoping for something better. Still, the Eurogamer review makes it sound decent, as long as you go in with the right expectations. Will give it a try when the price is right.

damn, i was actually looking forward to this game. im glad i spent my money on pre-ordering TLOU and Destiny instead of this though gonna wait till is cheap in the PSN store because i wanna play it. (glad it wasnt up when i logged in lol)

A German games journalist claims that the PS4-version has annoying tearing, the X1-version is locked at 30 FPS and doesn't have this problem.

Giantbomb have a Quick Look up on PS4 version. You can clearly see it's running at 60fps, didn't see any tearing on the footage I watched. Curiously, when asked about next-gen framerate and res, they said 1080p 30fps (this was asked on the PS4 Access Blog). I guess after the TR differences on PS4/X1, we can't trust what Square Enix say :)

MrBadger

The general consensus I'm getting is that the story is good, but the gameplay doesn't really fill its potential. Out of all the reviews I read, Kotaku were the only ones who really didn't seem to like the story. And they're Kotaku.

dolabla

Will wait for a price drop (hopefully soon) after reading these reviews. Gonna pick up Mario Kart 8 instead.

A few hours in. Really liking the story but could do without the enemy encounters. I think it could be looked at like Remember Me which is another game I enjoyed in spite of scores.

But then I got it for 20 along with thief thanks to buying a amd graphics card coupon off ebay so for roughly 10 bucks I am happy.

I knew nothing about this game, but I had hoped that it was just going to be an awesome 3D version of Ghost Trick or something like that. :(

Xpliskin

I was really excited about the concept. It's so original.
From the streams I've seen it still seemed like a fun game, but not exploiting its potential to the fullest at all.
I'll still pick it up during steam sales to see what it has to offer.

SDCowboy

Anyway, I'm seriously loving this game so far. To me, it's like that bad B movie you still love despite all its flaws.

SDCowboy

I was really excited about the concept. It's so original.
From the streams I've seen it still seemed like a fun game, but not exploiting its potential to the fullest at all.
I'll still pick it up during steam sales to see what it has to offer.

The concept really is fantastic. I hope there's a second Murdered Soul-whatever game but with the lack of hype, I doubt it. I see this game in the hidden gem category, years down the line.

Filaipus

Banned
Saw it on the twitch and seems cool but puzzles are mostly the same. Would not buy for 60$ but doesn't seem that bad.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

Was that the same guy who said it looks like a PS2 game?
Because that guy's an idiot.

TriAceJP

Anyway, I'm seriously loving this game so far. To me, it's like that bad B movie you still love despite all its flaws.

I've played this for awhile today and this is where I am at.

It's limited and you pretty much always know what the game wants you do to, even when it's trying to be clever.

That being said, it's still fun to play.

Jopie

Historically I have enjoyed games that break the mold but don't get great scores, so I am still looking forward to this. A lot of my gaming library is full of games like Cold mountain and Deadly Premonition, so this will fit right in.

I picked it up for PS4 today and have put more time into it than Watch Dogs. I think that has more to do with the fact that I'm over open world games. I don't understand reviews anymore anyway so I tend to not pay much attention to them in modern day gaming. I can stream it tomorrow if anyone wants to check it out, just pm me.

Also I think Target and I know Best Buy are offering a gift card with purchase for anyone on the fence.

Karak

My Review for ACG
I rated it a Buy on Sale.
A fun and interesting game with 0 replay value and questionable puzzle and game play decisions at $30 this would be an instant buy but at $50-60? I could not recommend it.

Personally I enjoyed it a great deal but some of the criticisms are really true while some of them seem oddly targeted on this game when many others are capable of the same offenses.

My Review for ACG
I rated it a Buy on Sale.
A fun and interesting game with 0 replay value and questionable puzzle and game play decisions at $30 this would be an instant buy but at $50-60? I could not recommend it.

Personally I enjoyed it a great deal but some of the criticisms are really true while some of them seem oddly targeted on this game when many others are capable of the same offenses.

So if we get it on GetGames it should be worth it cause they have the preorder for the $37 spot.

Karak

So if we get it on GetGames it should be worth it cause they have the preorder for the $37 spot.

You know that is fairly close to something I think is worth the cost. I mean if you understand that this is basically a 2d point and click adventure game hidden in a 3d adventure game(same kind of fairly rudimentary gameplay) and you like story. That is a price I would be more than willing to suggest.

I'm about an hour or so in. Interesting ideas, but goddamn was the stealth a terrible idea. Thankfully I've only had to do it twice, but if it picks up in frequency, I could easily see how it ruins the game.

Top Bottom