• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rest Mode is the worst - can I just disable it?

I have read the other posts in this thread but:

- what's the point in rebuilding the database when it does this like half the time I boot the thing up

- I know how to turn it off with the controller but this is iffy too

- it may be a hardware fault but it seems unlikely given how clearly it seems to be a software/firmware fault. It just seems like a very strange hardware fault no?

WOW!

Nobody else is rebuilding their database. That's sign number 1 that your PS4 is busted. You're in denial. Nobody else is having the same problems as you. Your PS4 needs to get fixed and you should probably do that sooner than later before things get worse.

How can you read the posts in this thread and virtually nobody is having the same issue as you; in fact they have a complete opposite experience with rest mode but you continue to think your PS4 is fine?

Romez

- what's the point in rebuilding the database when it does this like half the time I boot the thing up

- it may be a hardware fault but it seems unlikely given how clearly it seems to be a software/firmware fault. It just seems like a very strange hardware fault no?

Apart from when it makes sense to use it?

"I'm stood at my PS4 right next to the power button but it makes a lot more sense to walk over to my controller, press and hold a button and navigate through a menu than simply press the big off button that's right next to me."

They put the button there for a reason mane.

Sweet, I didn't know that. Cheers.

In what situation is your PS4 on but your controller isn't near you?

Ravidrath

If your HDD is dying, it might not be writing something correctly on shutdown, which is creating the corruption that is requiring the rebuild.

I don't know why you keep stating your expectations of how things work. It's clearly broken so the "why" doesn't really matter.

Breakaway

You can turn rest mode off in the power saving settings... although I think it's your system that's faulty and not the feature.

NinjaBoiX

I really can't be bothered sending it back to Sony, seems like a lot of messing about when I can simply disable it.

I'm not bothered about the option now anyway so cheers guys, problem solved.
6csWFCy.png
That sure is a slightly obscure, massively geeky dad joke right there.

Good job.

PulseONE

I...I don't know what else to tell you... You're aware the function of keeping the PS4 running in rest mode uses hardware and doesn't magically all run on software right? The PS4 rebuilds it's database if it loses power while in rest mode... Which means your PS4 is losing power while in rest mode. Your PS4 is not supposed to lose power in rest mode. Because your PS4 is losing power in rest mode while 99% of other people with the exact same software and firmware are not implies it is a defect with your console that should be looked at by someone who can repair it.

Is this a troll thread?

NinjaBoiX

OK, it probably is my PS4, fair enough. Can't be bothered mailing it back to Sony though, I have a much easier solution now, thanks.
They already gave you the solution for turning the power button into a shutdown one OP. Take it.
That doesn't really work either.

It's fine, I'll just disable rest mode, problem solved.

Edit: sorry, that's what you're suggesting

OK, it probably is my PS4, fair enough. Can't be bothered mailing it back to Sony though, I have a much easier solution now, thanks.

If your system is under warranty, you should probably take advantage of it. Your system is showing problems which will likely get worse over time.

Edit: sorry, that's what you're suggesting

Problem NOT solved. Problem swept under the rug and ignored.

If your PS4 fails completely, I think you will regret not having tended to its ailings. This stuff doesn't get better, it gets worse.

eso76

Is it normal for the PS4 to be noisy in rest mode with the fan on? Because mine is.

Nope.
It will maybe keep the fan going for a couple minutes if is very hot when you put it in rest mode to cool down, but otherwise it's completely quiet for me.

And it looks like OP will soon have an excuse to upgrade to a Pro.

NinjaBoiX

If your system is under warranty, you should probably take advantage of it. Your system is showing problems which will likely get worse over time.
It's about 4 years old, it's probably due to bite the dust sooner rather than later anyway.

Seriously, I was basically just asking if I could disable rest mode. I didn't know you could do this, I'm a happy camper.

joecanada

Rest mode is the greatest thing on the ps4 .

instant boot up of games, no waiting on *most patches, it's basically the best new feature the console has.

and I say that as a year one ps3 owner who hated the pared down media functions on ps4.

I use rest mode 100% of the time.

MisterR

My power button is basically an RNG at this point: press and hope, see what happens. I gave up trying to use it for what it was meant for long ago, ironically now that I'm actively avoiding this "feature" it's actually more of a pain than when it was just a poorly implemented option.

How did they fuck this up so bad? It's standby mode for fuck's sake, it's not curing cancer.

Yours seems to be an isolated problem and it seems like maybe you don't understand how to operate your PS4?

OP can you try plugging it into a different room in the house without a surge protector or anything and see if it does this? It's either a power issue, cable issue, or HW issue. Certainly not a design flaw.

CREMSteve

I've always had issues with rest mode on my PS4, it barely works for me so I just stopped using it. 75% of the time it would just shut down altogether but require a database rebuild upon reboot, then shut down again, then reboot so I gave up.

But now when I simply ask my PS4 to turn off (with the actual power button) it invariably goes into rest mode when I don't even want it to. And not a-single-orange-LED rest mode but fan-constantly-whirring-clearly-using-a-pointless-amount-of-power rest mode.

It's a constant pain, it barely works when I want it to and often works when I don't. It's quite literally worse than useless to me.

Can I just disable it altogether somehow?

TL:DR: Sony fucked rest mode on PS4 and it's frankly embarrassing how broken it is. Please just let me turn it off entirely.
Your PS4 is most definitely broken. Rest mode works flawlessly.

eso76

there is no reason to use the power button - i personally have never used it.

hold PS button on controller -> Power -> Turn off PS4.

Well, that's not true for me.
Sometimes i would push the PS button on the controller by mistake and the console will turn on, and i want to be able to shut it down without having to turn on the TV to see what I'm doing.

Nester99

Make sure you try a different outlet or powerbar/surge protector before you call it quits.

Sounds like a power issue.

Also, have to ask, is your power cord in TIGHT at the back?

NinjaBoiX

^ yes
Yours seems to be an isolated problem and it seems like maybe you don't understand how to operate your PS4?
What, I don't know how to turn it on and off? Come on mane...

I'll admit I didn't know that the power button was actually a rest mode button and you have to hold the power button to force it to switch off.

I foolishly thought that the on/off button would, you know, turn it on and off.

jacobeid

Banned
^ yes

What, I don't know how to turn it on and off? Come on mane...

I'll admit I didn't know that the power button was actually a rest mode button and you have to hold the power button to force it to switch off.

I foolishly thought that the on/off button would, you know, turn it on and off.

Lol. Is this a troll thread?

NinjaBoiX

Lol. Is this a troll thread?
Dude, it's a button with an on symbol, and an off symbol on it. Like, what else would you expect it to do?

To my mind that was like a hard "on/off" power button, "no standby menu nonsense, just turn it off" kind of thing.

CLEEK

Is it normal for the PS4 to be noisy in rest mode with the fan on? Because mine is.

The only time you you hear any fan noise, even on a noisy launch console, is if the PS4 is background downloading something when you put it in Rest Mode. Once the download is finished, it should return to silence.

Either OP's PS4 is broken, or his home suffers from regular power issues. The only time I've had to rebuild my database is when there had been a power cut while the PS4 was in Rest Mode.

Dude, it's a button with an on symbol, and an off symbol on it. Like, what else would you expect it to do?

To my mind that was like a hard "on/off" power button, "no standby menu nonsense, just turn it off" kind of thing.

So then you admit you don't know how to power on and off consumer electronic devices. Many devices with that style of button put the device to sleep.

jacobeid

Banned

I mean when you press the power button the system literally says "Putting the PS4 into rest mode."

So then you admit you don't know how to power on and off consumer electronic devices. Many devices with that style of button put the device to sleep.

Yup. Vita, 3DS, and switch for example. Hell, even iOS and Android devices only lock when you hit the power button. You have to hold those down too to get them to turn off. If I push the power button on PC it puts the computer into sleep mode too, you need to hold the button to force it to shutdown.

n0razi

Get a UPS (Battery Backup)... I had that problem all the time (where I would come back to a PS4 I left in Rest Mode needing a reset database rebuild. Found out that my place just had really spotty electricity service and was constantly restarting the PS4. No problems since I got a Cyberpower Sinewave UPS hooked up to that and my TV

cyberpower_cp1000pfclcd_1000va_pfc_ups_lcd_981757.jpg

Devil

-> Didn't bother to read the manual or test if the device would behave similar to many other devices which need a longer push of the button to turn off (including PS3).

-> "Cmon maaaane, do you think I don't know how my electronic devices work? LOL!"

No, you actually don't. Which would be ok if you'd have behaved differently before instead of insisting you're correct.

CeePhour

Banned
When you tell it to sleep do you wait for it to completely enter before switch your HDMI on the TV/receiver?

I have noticed this issue as well: I hit sleep, switch my receiver over to something else, the PS4Pro doesn't ever shut down (this didn't happen on my PS4 regular, but that was many firmwares ago) and I am forced to pull the power and wait for the rebuild.

Annoying, but ever since I let it go down fully into sleep before switching my receiver the problem has vanished. Yes it is also hooked to a PSVR breakout box (which randomly will sleep/not sleep).

BadWolf

The best feature of the console/generation for me.

Been using it since buying my PS4 last year and have had zero issues, it's always in rest mode when I'm not using it.

Top Bottom