• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom thinking out Switch support, talks about Capcom's future and IP revivals

RE7-MHXX underperformed / Users are happy with the quality of both RE7-MHXX and sales have been good for the current fiscal quarter

tumblr_mo470zFI5M1qbawbjo1_400.gif

I find the thread title misleading. Read their statement regarding Switch again. If not mistranslated, it says something different. They are evaluating HOW to support the Switch, not IF. Of course they will watch how their old ass game sells in May while doing so. But its performance will not be an indicator to or not to abandon the console.

sinonobu

Banned
Thinking about this some more, it still highlights how much of a joke Capcom's support has been for the Switch, especially given how they've had a few big-budget handheld games in production close to Switch release, like Great Ace Attorney 2 (out next month I believe), and Monster Hunter Stories. Both would scale up well with minimal effort - their engine was ported to Switch for USFII.

But nope, all Capcom bothered doing was Street Fighter. I can't deny that it's a good fit for the Switch, but it's amazing that execs at Capcom didn't even greenlight a Switch version of the Disney Afternoon Collection, or the second Mega Man Collection.

Both Lego City and Puyo Puyo Tetris sold an overwhelmingly higher number copies on Switch in a market where Nintendo isn't strong (the UK), and in the west, Disgaea 5 Complete overtook a year's worth of PS4 sales in pre-orders alone. Super Bomberman R was a success that resonated with people nostalgic for the old Hudson Soft breed of multiplayer game. Mario Kart 8 DX is tracking ahead of Wii U MK8 in America. There's demand for Switch software, and Capcom has missed the boat.

Sure, USFII is selling rather well (Number 1 of all games on Amazon France, top 20 in America and UK, charting above Tekken 7), but that's the only game they have lined up for Switch until October at the earliest. Even a quick Resi 4 port would be appealing.

I said this in other thread earlier but I strongly believe that it was Nintendo that asked Capcom to bring SF2 to Switch just like Konami and Bomberman.

GunBR

dontbelieveinhislies.jpg

There's 99,9% of chance of Capcom release a Monster Hunter to Switch (just maybe not exclusive this time)

Xiao Hu

Is this the month of Japanese publisher fuckery? Just after we had a good run with SE and Capcom, their management decides to act stupid again. I really wish Nintendo would step up their conservative M&A strategy and acquire Capcom. Capcom have proven to be more of a liability than a trustworthy partner which might turn out to be dangers since last gen has shown how important their games have become for Nintendo's handheld/mobile ecosystem. Ending the unofficial MH exclusivity for Nintendo (not considering the PC MH games) due to absurd sales expectations would certainly be a negative turning point.

Rncewind

Nobody supported Wii U! The Switch is not the Wii U!

Companies support popular platforms, which Switch most certainly is.

The switch is atm. popular, like other consoles similar in their launch period which plateaud after. The company does not know if this is gonna continue in the future so they ggauging interest, also to see if their titles are gonna sale

company 1 & 1

also i state corrected that simply because a dev supported the previous platform it does not indicate to support the succesor for sure.

also i want to clearify that i didnt say there is not a possiblity of already a monster hunter 5 in the works for switch or something like that. However its far away from a certainty like a couple of people propose

Capcom after SFII overpriced edition fails :

"After a deep analysis of the market we have determined that there is no market nor interest in our products on the Switch thus we are not supporting the Switch anymore."

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So goodbye Switch support than? A multi plataform Monster Hunter game is becoming a more serious idea.

I said this in other thread earlier but I strongly believe that it was Nintendo that asked Capcom to bring SF2 to Switch just like Konami and Bomberman.

You're not wrong. The Puyo Puyo Tetris port was probably advised, too, it's clear that the "key" third party games brought to the Switch have been heavily curated around the hardware and what sort of audience that'll pick it up (mostly long-time players who grew up with a NES, SNES, Game Boy or Mega Drive). Who else would the Online Service free games appeal to? People who are buying PS4s for Destiny aren't going to care about 8 and 16 bit games with online play, that's for sure.

Publishers who are "all in" on Switch, like Square Enix, are obviously releasing as much as they can.

KingBroly

Banned
Title seems very misleading because that's not what the interviewee is saying.

I mean...

As the person who translated it, my big take away from that statement is tied closely is what they said about the early DS/Wii era.

They are waiting for Nintendo to make titles for the system utilizing the Switch's strengths and seeing what sells on the device so they know exactly what kind of titles they should commit to the system. While they wait and see how things goes they will release SF2.

I also find it interesting they are backstepping the reviving of old ip thing. I remember it wasn't too long ago they were talking about how important it was to bring them back.

Seems pretty cut and dry to me what they're saying.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Now i kinda want the game to fail...but it will probably sell rather well compared to their expectations.
The switch is atm. popular, like other consoles similar in their launch period which plateaud after. The company does not know if this is gonna continue in the future so they ggauging interest, also to see if their titles are gonna sale

You must be delusional if you think the WiiU was in the same situation as the the Switch 3 months after its launch. People are talking about Switch having year long shortages already, this wasnt the case for 3DS or WiiU.

Companies who treat Switch like another WiiU will miss out.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck outta here, Capcom.

Imma call their bluff right here. Determining support by the sales of an obviously low effort cash grab. Might as well shouldn't have bothered if that sole game was going to be their litmus.

oti

Banned
Maybe I'm giving Capcom too much credit but I feel like you're all overreacting. Looking at the sales of your first game on a new platform isn't a crazy idea. I'm sure Capcom will support the Switch. The question is how they'll support it. I wouldn't expect high-budget games (PS4 and XBO games) on it but rather low- to mid-budget games. Those are the games that Capcom absolutely needs to make in order to stay in a healthier business. I can't see them going all out on AAA, way too risky. I also can't see them moving all of their low- to mid-budget games on mobile. At least not yet.

They could be looking at SF2 performance to determine wether a Disney Afternoon Collection port for Switch would be worth the licensing costs for instance.

Peltz

I hate when companies do this. Don't release a B or C Tier effort and use that as a gauge of sales potential for A tier efforts.

That doesn't make sense.

BigEmil

What bs, he knows it reviewed badly and not worth the price he's just saying the old and effective marketing track "buy this game or no more for you!" crap lol fuck off Capcom

It's bafflingly idiotic isn't it? Rather then gauge the performance on the ever popular with Nintendo gamers Monster hunter, let's do it instead with a old ass game that's been ported tons of times before and does not have the popularity to sell millions.

I say millions since capcom always expects games to sell that much despite the type of game.

This is a stupid way of evaluating your support of a platform.

Nanashrew

Banned
Maybe I'm giving Capcom too much credit but I feel like you're all overreacting. Looking at the sales of your first game on a new platform isn't a crazy idea. I'm sure Capcom will support the Switch. The question is how they'll support it. I wouldn't expect high-budget games (PS4 and XBO games) on it but rather low- to mid-budget games. Those are the games that Capcom absolutely needs to make in order to stay in a healthier business. I can't see them going all out on AAA, way too risky. I also can't see them moving all of their low- to mid-budget games on mobile. At least not yet.

They could be looking at SF2 performance to determine wether a Disney Afternoon Collection port for Switch would be worth the licensing costs for instance.

Honestly, the Disney Afternoon Collection would have been better. It's at least several old titles ported to a new system, and platformers and mascot characters sell the best on Nintendo systems and often have longer tails.

K' Dash

If they priced it correctly at $5 it would sell like hot cakes.

$40 for a port of a 2008 $15 game is one of the most stupid moves I've seen this year.

We've been here before, "We'll base Wii support on how this shitty half assed title that no one wants does."

Go fuck yourself Capcom.

I'm sure armchair analysis will blame the fanbase again though.

Rncewind

Now i kinda want the game to fail...but it will probably sell rather well compared to their expectations.

You must be delusional if you think the WiiU was in the same situation as the the Switch 3 months after its launch. People are talking about Switch having year long shortages already, this wasnt the case for 3DS or WiiU.

i didnt say this at all, cant you read? i said like other CONSOLEs. Its a common thing that the early sales doesnt give a good long term picture, ps3 was the reserve case of this stop being so defensive of nintendo pls like in every topic.

Also people "can talk" about whatever they want and can be a shortage of switchs for 340 years, its not like the best selling hardware device of all time, neither in the west nor in japan so there is no point in stressing this out.

however you seem like you know the best what million dolalrs company should do, witch support the switch, so whatever i guess

I find the thread title misleading. Read their statement regarding Switch again. If not mistranslated, it says something different. They are evaluating HOW to support the Switch, not IF. Of course they will watch how their old ass game sells in May while doing so. But its performance will not be an indicator to or not to abandon the console.
This is far too logical and sensible for this thread, hah. We need sensationalism for the Nintendo Defence Force.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow. Capcom is starting their bullshit tests again.

Dumb thread.

- that's not what Capcom said
- Capcom will be very happy with SF2 sales

How's that not what Capcom said? Are you saying the translation is wrong? Because the title does not bend the truth at all from that point. It's not like the title says they'll abandon all support.

sense

Are you saying there isn't a slight chance that the switch has been adopted early by it hardcore fans due to a ground breaking Zelda game at launch? At the end of the day we are talking about 3 million sales so far and a company struggling to stock shelves like Sony or ms?

oti

Banned
Honestly, the Disney Afternoon Collection would have been better. It's at least several old titles ported to a new system, and platformers and mascot characters sell the best on Nintendo systems and often have longer tails.

I agree. But that would mean paying Disney more for the license (I would assume). With SF2 they can gauge retro interest of the Switch player base with very little cost. Of course, this being way overpriced is typical Capcom dreaming/incompetence.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
People have to read the statement in the OP, as well as putting it in the context of the other statements about users and DS/Wii. The thread title is absolutely shitty and it creates useless negativity due to jumping to conclusions. I blame the OP for being way too quick / taking another poster's joking post in the Media Create thread (where Capcom general statements have been posted for the first time) as the ideal thread title for this one.

Top Bottom