• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom thinking out Switch support, talks about Capcom's future and IP revivals

watershed

Banned
Seriously. Nintendo makes hardware revisions and addons for Capcom. It looks like a damn one way exchange a lot of the time.

How is it one-sided? MH sells 3ds units. It generates big business for Nintendo and probably saved the 3ds in Japan. Also, do platform holders make money directly from 3rd party sales?

Astral Dog

Capcom never followed up with an traditional RE on wii after RE4 wii sold well lol.
They made two of the best rail shooters ever made though. With remastered music.cutscenes and graphics so much fanservice we didn't
deserve them 😢

Also a traditional RE for 3DS

spelen

How is it one-sided? MH sells 3ds units. It generates big business for Nintendo and probably saved the 3ds in Japan. Also, do platform holders make money directly from 3rd party sales?

Typically yes you pay a small fee to to release your game on a console however considering how big monster hunter is that feed could potentially be waived but we don't know. However, To suggest that Nintendo doesn't benefit from Monster Hunter success on its console is still Ludacris regardless of what their deal might be

Read the tweet again. "Capcom PR confirmed Monster Hunter XX for Switch is different from unannounced big IP scheduled in this fiscal year."

So the unannounced major title that we found out about 2-3 weeks ago is not Monster Hunter XX. There's nothing there about it being a bigger IP.

And it's gonna be Devil May Cry 5. Or possibly Resident Evil 2 Remake or Revelations 3.

But no, it's DMC5.

Probably Deep Down reboot project. The game looked real good, but I bet they bailed on the F2P systems due to poor performance of F2P console-exclusive games in general, and restarts the project.

Astral Dog

Resident Revelations,Street Fighter, Mercenaries all the Monster Hunters. I think they did good considering its modern Capcom we are talking about :)

They made two of the best rail shooters ever made though. With remastered music.cutscenes and graphics so much fanservice we didn't
deserve them 😢

Also a traditional RE for 3DS
I like those games but I wanted another RE4 like game on the wii lol.

Sesha

Seriously. Nintendo makes hardware revisions and addons for Capcom. It looks like a damn one way exchange a lot of the time.

Makes perfect sense. What other franchises have yearly releases on Nintendo consoles that sell between 1-4m units each? MonHun is yuuuge. And not Trump yuuuge, but actually yuuuge.

More Monster Hunter obviously.

Sales expectations in Japan are down from last fiscal year, which had MHXX and Stories, which was down from FY2015, which had MHX. So more Monster Hunter seems unlikely, unless Capcom expects a new MH to sell like shit on whatever consoles they put it on. Which is unlike Capcom since they overestimate everything.

Probably Deep Down reboot project. The game looked real good, but I bet they bailed on the F2P systems due to poor performance of F2P console-exclusive games in general, and restarts the project.

Unlikely, but it could be. I don't think they would ditch the online component though.

oSoLucky

Typically yes you pay a small fee to to release your game on a console however considering how big monster hunter is that feed could potentially be waived but we don't know. However, To suggest that Nintendo doesn't benefit from Monster Hunter success on its console is still Ludacris regardless of what their deal might be
giphy.gif

When was the last time a Capcom fighter was on Nintendo? Tatsunoko aka the beginning of Zero's bullshit?

"Asked about resurrecting old I.P by the interviewer after talking about the recent announcement of Capcom vs Marvel
Capcom wants to resurrect old I.P, but doing so makes many problems crop up
One of these problems is that they don't have enough people
The lack of people is due to the fast advancement of tech making every title require more people than ever
Also the development of their current I.P and new I.P means they have even less time to bring back old titles"

This is an industry wide issue, but Capcom seems especially bad at managing projects. They seem to barely be able to handle the few IPs they still have going (RE, SF, and MH) and seem to continually fail to bring out new IP (Deep Down).

Oldest trick in the book and some might fall for it. Monster Hunter won't sell nearly enough on home consoles, so yeah, I don't think they will suddenly give up one of the most successful franchises they have.

What did I just say, half of the thread got trolled by Capcom.

neohwa

RE7 "underperformed" is totally an understatement by Capcom.

RE is the biggest franchise by far in Capcom's history, insanely they developed RE7 expecting no growth but a huge decline from RE6 to RE7, and yet RE7 still sold far below their expectations. What in the world was this company thinking? You can't gamble away the future of your biggest franchises like this! You just released this game too fast too early! Should have waited for the VR userbase to get bigger! Should have called it RE Revelations 3! Should not ignore your RE fans in Japan and made it 3rd person!

Sorry but I'm afraid the RE franchises is done. RE7 tainted the brand so much that it might not recover, especially in Japan.

As for MHXX underperforming on the 3DS, well you think a port would do any better on the Switch? Capcom needs a reality check, fast. You have to release a new game, not ports after ports.

Zedark

RE7 "underperformed" is totally an understatement by Capcom.

RE is the biggest franchise by far in Capcom's history, insanely they developed RE7 expecting no growth but a huge decline from RE6 to RE7, and yet RE7 still sold far below their expectations. What in the world was this company thinking? You can't gamble away the future of your biggest franchises like this! You just released this game too fast too early! Should have waited for the VR userbase to get bigger! Should have called it RE Revelations 3! Should not ignore your RE fans in Japan and made it 3rd person!

Sorry but I'm afraid the RE franchises is done. RE7 tainted the brand so much that it might not recover, especially in Japan.

As for MHXX underperforming on the 3DS, well you think a port would do any better on the Switch? Capcom needs a reality check, fast. You have to release a new game, not ports after ports.
RE7 sold half a million under expectations (3.5 vs. 4 million). It seems a bit too harsh to call that a damning result for the franchise imo.

leroidys

Judging by MvCI's producer's reaction to the question of a Switch version, that team seems like they don't give a flying fuck about the Switch. Dragon's Dogma on the other hand is a weird omission.
DD on switch would be a GotG contender for me.

neohwa

RE7 sold half a million under expectations (3.5 vs. 4 million). It seems a bit too harsh to call that a damning result for the franchise imo.

That's 12% less than they expected, and 12% is HUGE. You are supposed to have growth anyway. What's the future of the series if it keeps getting smaller?

Oregano

Doesn't Altus have something where mainline Persona is PS-only and Etrian Odyssey is Nintendo-only? I thought I remembered reading some discussion about that a couple years ago. I guess it could have been speculation. Obviously that doesn't matter for spinoffs as P4A and PQ demonstrate. Also, are you tinfoil hatting with the spoiler?

Nah that's BS. For one Persona and Etrian Odyssey are not equivalents.

It's also not a conspiracy theory. Sony has been pushing their developers to abandon Vita and go PS4 exclusive for a few years now and the new Dynasty Warriors was announced with a the head of SIEJ present. Their strategic goal is the obviously keep that type of content exclusive to their platforms in the regions where that matter.

Neff

RE7 did hurt the brand (and fans) by severing its ties to the RE universe and relying on dull no-name protagonists, but the strength of the game and word of mouth carried it. And it was actually received better in Japan than RE6 was, even if it didn't sell as well. it's far too premature to say that a single game has done irreparable damage to the 20-year gangbuster franchise, and Takeuchi has already gone on record as saying that RE8 will again be another surprise. We also have at least one new RE game in the traditional format coming.

Capcom aren't stupid, they know how crucial RE is.

KtSlime

RE7 did hurt the brand (and fans) by severing its ties to the RE universe and relying on dull no-name protagonists, but the strength of the game and word of mouth carried it. And it was actually received better in Japan than RE6 was, even if it didn't sell as well. it's far too premature to say that a single game has done irreparable damage to the 20-year gangbuster franchise, and Takeuchi has already gone on record as saying that RE8 will again be another surprise. We also have at least one new RE game in the traditional format coming.

Could you explain the logic about that statement? If it was received better, why didn't it sell well? Are you talking about reviews? Are you talking about Mizuho liking the game?

Capcom if not stupid is dense and slow, they make really odd decisions, have been slow to diversity, have killed most of their franchises, and have yet to get anywhere on smartphone. I would not bet against Capcom making a blunder again in the near future.

Meesh

Might be a silly thought, but Street Fighter on Switch is pretty retro... I like it, my kids were brought up on retro gaming, so they think it's cool, its just an interesting choice for Switch. Actually it had me thinking Capcom might decide to revisit some ip they haven't touched in awhile and go for some more of that retro look and feel?

The first thing I thought of was a Breath of Fire reboot... super huge long shot. But seriously could be sweet, new story, gorgeous sprite work...

Neoxon

Yeah, both of those would be fantastic. Here's hoping Capcom does something like this in the future.
My biggest dream would be USFIII with the SFV newbies, Juri, & Crimson Viper for the sake of continuity with SFIV & SFV, but I recognize that it's a fool's dream knowing that making SFIII-tier sprites & animations aren't cheap (let alone doing 11 new ones). As for something more realistic, maybe they could bring over the bonus PSP characters for Alpha 3.

Jawmuncher

I think in japan at this point, the majority have become more invested in the story and lore than most. While the game was well received there, it fell off the charts something fierce. Where it seemed basically only hardcore RE fans in japan needed apply. To me it feels like RE in japan are really big on their hero characters. Thus why we're getting Vendetta the way it is. I'm curious to see if a sales bump happens in japan when the Not a Hero DLC hits. There's also always the FPS to consider as well.

RE8 being another surprise should be a good thing though. I don't think Japan would be keen on another game exactly like RE7 (Similar setting, main character, and all)

My biggest dream would be USFIII with the SFV newbies, Juri, & Crimson Viper for the sake of continuity with SFIV & SFV, but I recognize that it's a fool's dream knowing that making SFIII-tier sprites & animations aren't cheap (let alone doing 11 new ones).

That would be awesome. Like you said, it'd take a lot of effort and I wonder if Capcom would go this far. If by some miracle they did, then I'd really support it.

As for something more realistic, maybe they could bring over the bonus PSP characters for Alpha 3.

Yeah even this would be great. It would still make a hypothetical USFIII a good version. In fact, if all the classic SF games got this same treatment with a suitable price, then that would make Switch a great home for SF games.

Sadly as of now, this is still just a dream :(

Neoxon

That would be awesome. Like you said, it'd take a lot of effort and I wonder if Capcom would go this far. If by some miracle they did, then I'd really support it.

Yeah even this would be great. It would still make a hypothetical USFIII a good version. In fact, if all the classic SF games got this same treatment with a suitable price, then that would make Switch a great home for SF games.

Sadly as of now, this is still just a dream :(
Alpha 3 w/ the PSP characters would be for the hypothetical Alpha Collection.

Neff

Could you explain the logic about that statement? If it was received better, why didn't it sell well?

RE7 reviewed much, much, much better than RE6 did, from both the press and consumers. It also polarised fans of the series. RE6 has (to date) sold more. It's not a matter of using logic, this is what has happened.

While the game was well received there, it fell off the charts something fierce.

I've been told that the perceived shortness of the game is accountable for this. It's been traded in a lot.

I don't think Japan would be keen on another game exactly like RE7 (Similar setting, main character, and all)

Yeah, it would be unwise for Capcom to go in again with another Ethan. For a series which thrives on iconic characters, attempting the Western 'blank slate' style didn't really work out.

Top Bottom