• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom thinking out Switch support, talks about Capcom's future and IP revivals

J@hranimo

Banned
I think a mod should amend the title to a more accurate statement to promote less hot takes.

....ah well that probably won't happen right?

They're fools for overpricing this half-assed port and they're fools if they keep half-assing Switch support if it doesn't sell well

DrWong

lol.

Reading this is more worrying about Capcom than the Switch.

"Flagship titles undeperformed but hey, we sold a few units this quarter."
"Mobile market, what is this?"
"Lack of ressources for risky new ip"
"Same for revival of old ip"
"We don't know how/what to develop for a successful platform"
"My daughter is named Luigi"

Garlador

Remember when EA released Mass Effect 3 a year late onto the Wii U, lacking content, and charged $60 for just that game while releasing Mass affect Triology on all other platforms at the same time, then blamed ME3's poor sales as a reason not to support the Wii U?

Good times.

So no Capcom support post Street Fighter confirmed...

Cause I know I won't be spending 40 bucks on that.

They said this with the Wii too and nothing good really came of it despite many of their ports/low budget releases selling pretty well early on.

Yup. RE4 and Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles sold well, then they declared Darkside Chronicles and a broken Deaf Rising port to be another round of "Capcom Test" games and fans told them to fuck off.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Thanks to zeromcd73 on the translation and gg2xac for the thread idea and title!

Capcom: Please forget our "Tests" for Wii, this is different, honest.

Fucking hell. Evaluate each game for the Switch Platform on its merits, not on the performance of an overpriced cash grab.

What kind of fanboy drivel is this? Are you serious?

Yes he is. He's said something similar in the past in a Media Crate thread about Toukiden or God Eater not being a Switch game and duckroll called him out on it lol.

Some of you really need to grow up. Capcom is going to support this thing regardless of how USF2 does. Shouldn't be too long before we hear more either.

cireza

mj-laughing.gif
This.

Wow. Capcom is starting their bullshit tests again.

How's that not what Capcom said? Are you saying the translation is wrong? Because the title does not bend the truth at all from that point. It's not like the title says they'll abandon all support.

They're saying SF2 sales will help to determine how they'll approach Switch. If SF2 sells a shitload, they'll likely see the system as a viable platform for future fighting games. SF2 bombing won't mean the absence of totally unrelated franchises like MH, which have proven to sell well on Nintendo handhelds.

Fraeon

"Mobile market, what is this?"
"Lack of ressources for risky new ip"
"Same for revival of old ip"
"We don't know how/what to develop for a successful platform"
"My daughter is named Luigi"

Part of the reason Capcom is so strapped for cash as it is is because they put a whole bunch of money on a mobile game branch that really didn't pan out. Which would explain why they're so desperate to get any money that they're really overpricing their old IPs to the point of turning their fans off.

KingBroly

Banned

Not misleading: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238017906&postcount=155

So they'll miss out on the Switch's audience if they're being stupid about it.

I'd be mad if I were a stock holder but as a customer I'm not going to be mad about games that might or might not exist yet.

They missed out on Wii's audience with their stupid RE rail shooters and RE remakes after RE 4 Wii edition doing well. That's what Capcom does. 'here's an old game. If it does well, we'll give you more overpriced old games and not newer stuff, even digital stuff that other platforms are getting that we know would do well with your audience.'

But unfortunately, this is the road Capcom has decided to kill their Switch support on. A path that has never worked for them long-term. The definition of insanity.

Capcom: Please forget our "Tests" for Wii, this is different, honest.

Fucking hell. Evaluate each game for the Switch Platform on its merits, not on the performance of an overpriced cash grab.

capcom did release a lot of good games on wii though

tatsunoko vs capcom
monster hunter tri
megaman 9, 10
tack and wiki
okami
sengoku basara
resident evil remake, 0 and 4
resident evil umbrella/darkside chronicles
phoenix wright

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
also i want to clearify that i didnt say there is not a possiblity of already a monster hunter 5 in the works for switch or something like that. However its far away from a certainty like a couple of people propose

While nothing is guaranteed I can't picture a scenario where the hottest new platform in Japan that functions as both a console and handheld, is going to be passed up on a Monster Hunter release. I mean, maybe 3DS would land the game instead, but it's definitely not going to PlayStation/Xbox over Nintendo.

Fredrik

lol
this is so dumb

Maybe if they had made a proper remaster or cool reskin like Wonderboy Dragon's Trap, then it could possibly sell, but as it is this title will barely even sell to the nostalgics.
So no more capcom titles on Switch I guess.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They're saying SF2 sales will help to determine how they'll approach Switch.

That's what the title says.

If SF2 sells a shitload, they'll likely see the system as a viable platform for future fighting games. SF2 bombing won't mean the absence of totally unrelated franchises like MH, which have proven to sell well on Nintendo handhelds.

Nothing like that was said though, it's just how you decided to read into it. I don't think they'll use SF2 to determine whether future fighters specifically will come to the platform honestly, if it does well I think it'll bring more ports.

Not misleading: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238017906&postcount=155

They missed out on Wii's audience with their stupid RE rail shooters and RE remakes after RE 4 Wii edition doing well. That's what Capcom does. 'here's an old game. If it does well, we'll give you more overpriced old games and not newer stuff, even digital stuff that other platforms are getting that we know would do well with your audience.'

But unfortunately, this is the road Capcom has decided to kill their Switch support on. A path that has never worked for them long-term. The definition of insanity.

They're not killing their Switch support.

Yeah well, fuck you. I still remember the Wii days, when gamers had to support Umbrella Chronicles if they wanted proper support! And then they made another on rail shooter.
I really wanted USF II but after this bullshit I won't buy it unless I find it used.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
What kind of fanboy drivel is this? Are you serious?
Obv. it doesnt matter, just not a fan of this way of doing business. That would be like SE deciding how their Switch support will look like based on I Am Setsuna.

They are already setting up excuses they can rely to when they mismanage Switch development. Or maybe they arent - we will see.
Yes he is. He's said something similar in the past in a Media Crate thread about Toukiden or God Eater not being a Switch game and duckroll called him out on it lol.

Some of you really need to grow up. Capcom is going to support this thing regardless of how USF2 does. Shouldn't be too long before we hear more either.

Way to take something out of context....my main point was that the traditional console market deserves to go under if the publishers dont start making better decisions - like embracing multiplattform development. You think the western AAA publisher could thrive if they didnt develop for One/PS4 and PC at the same time ? Switch and PS4 are the relevant consoles for Japan right now.

Not my fault that some of you act like snowflakes anytime multiplattform development is being discussed.

Riposte

Great example of taking something out of context just to make a - sorry - dumb thread out of it. They don't mean that they won't support the Switch if the game doesn't do well.

The thing they want to analyze with SF II is, if this kind of experience is suited for the Switch audience.
Still not really a great way but a completely other thing then what people here make out of it.

Came into this thread to point out the discrepancy between the thread title and the statement within the (unofficial) translation.

Way to take something out of context....my main point was that the traditional console market deserves to go under if the publishers dont start making better decisions - like embracing multiplattform development. You think the western AAA publisher could thrive if they didnt develop for One/PS4 and PC at the same time ? Switch and PS4 are the relevant consoles for Japan right now.

Not my fault that some of you act like snowflakes anytime multiplattform development is being discussed.

I never disagreed. So I'm not sure who you're calling a snowflake. But the way you said it sounded awfully butt hurt. I think you're being incredinky short sighted if you think the game should fail too. That's not going to accomplish anything. Grow up.

Having said all of that, Capcom has Switch games in the pipeline. You'll start hearing about that support soon enough. Y'all need to just calm down.

PetrCobra

Unless a bunch of people around me suddenly start doing USF2 nights every week, there's no way I buy that game before it gets under 10 Euros. This is a terrible game to base such a decision on.

_Clash_

If Capcom wants to stay in business, they'll support Switch

Capcom u so crazy. I hope you didn't go all in on non Japanese western audiences

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
No it doesn't. The title was worded to imply support, as in general support, would be affected by the commercial outcome of SF2.

It does not say general support, just support. Anyone who thinks all Switch support will be determined by this is being silly, but I doubt they really care all that much to begin with. This title portrays how bullshit the statement is, it should not have been made in the first place. Those saying this is akin to what they said about Wii games are well aware how Capcom have made similar statements in the past.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
i didnt say this at all, cant you read? i said like other CONSOLEs. Its a common thing that the early sales doesnt give a good long term picture, ps3 was the reserve case of this stop being so defensive of nintendo pls like in every topic.

Also people "can talk" about whatever they want and can be a shortage of switchs for 340 years, its not like the best selling hardware device of all time, neither in the west nor in japan so there is no point in stressing this out.

however you seem like you know the best what million dolalrs company should do, witch support the switch, so whatever i guess

I dont understand your point - how many Switch console does Nintendo have to sell before a company like Capcom should jump on board ? You really think they ported the RE-Engine and co. to Switch just to drop support after USF2 ?

Im pretty sure they have stuff in pipeline, so the comment is a non-issue for myself. Im just not a fan of using the performance of a game like USF2 as some kind of indicator of what i s possible on the system. Maybe he was referring more to exclusive content ? Because the Capcom games i see on Switch are mostly all multiplattform anyway (RE, MH and Ace Attorney).
Are you saying there isn't a slight chance that the switch has been adopted early by it hardcore fans due to a ground breaking Zelda game at launch? At the end of the day we are talking about 3 million sales so far and a company struggling to stock shelves like Sony or ms?

No one is saying that - but you would have to ignore alot of evidence to make the case that Switch will just suddenly stop selling after some Hardcore players have picked up the system. The appeal is on another level compared to the WiiU. Its not just the hardware sales but software sales have been rather good as well...the core base you describe has access to a WiiU and could have played Zelda there, as well already owns MK8.

Zelda wouldnt have saved the Switch if it was just another WiiU and the system didnt have appeal.

Top Bottom