• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom thinking out Switch support, talks about Capcom's future and IP revivals

zeromcd73

As the person who translated it, my big take away from that statement is tied closely is what they said about the early DS/Wii era.

They are waiting for Nintendo to make titles for the system utilizing the Switch's strengths and seeing what sells on the device so they know exactly what kind of titles they should commit to the system. While they wait and see how things goes they will release SF2.

I also find it interesting they are backstepping the reviving of old ip thing. I remember it wasn't too long ago they were talking about how important it was to bring them back.

They never said that. That probably thought that if e can sell a retro game for 40$ then we can sell everything on Switch.

I just deleted my post, thanks for immortalizing it by quoting it before I could do so :)

I reread it, and yeah that's not what they said. It's still a strange 'test' to see how best to cater to the Switch audience, in any event. It's really not much better, 'how' to support to Switch versus 'whether' to support it based on the game they're using as a barometer.

The thread title is incorrect.

Capcom's using SF2 sales to determine HOW to support Switch, not whether to support Switch, as the title implies.

This interpretation isn't any better for fans. SF2 on Switch shouldn't be used as an interpretation of anything. It's a 30 year old game, wtf can it tell you about the market?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
i mean yeah it does not state what the title says however its like not far fetching "HOW" is gonna be "bad" when they determine it with USF2.

You honestly believe that Capcom, who strongly supported 3DS, is iffy on the red hot Switch? C'mon.

People need to put away their pitchforks.

cacildo

classic "Capcom"

flashes of Resident Evil Chronicles. If it does sell well they'll probaly rehash 2D Fighters on the system.

Searched the first page just to find this

We still remember the "Resident Evil Chronicles" test game.... that lead to ANOTHER resident evil chronicles and nothing else

Platy

And in Wii's resident evil 4 style, if USF2 sells like hotcakes than we will receive a new Darkstalkers... ' minigame compilation in the style of the way of the hadou

tolkir

This is what they actually said:
I'm not sure that the thread title of:

Is entirely representative of that. It just sounds like they are still thinking of what to do on the Switch while looking at how their latest release does, not that one is based on the other.

It's a clickbait title but Capcom doesn't help with their actions.

Maybe I'll be wrong, but next E3 we will see DMC 5 or other new game for PS4/One and Switch will have a new port/remaster at the most.

ksamedi

The game will do fine btw. It charting high on amazon charts and preorder charts everywhere despite availability issues. It will also have a good word of mouth.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Tbh I'm more worried about them seeing RE7 as an underperformer, the last thing we need is for them to stop taking risks with RE as soon as it's starting to get good again.

With how well the Switch is selling, I can't see that statement holding true for very long. I NEED RE4 on a proper portable device Capcom! IMO we will be drowning in Capcom HD Switch ports before too long, and I am fine with that.

Heyt

Banned
With MH being instrumental to the swicth long term success in japan I seriously hope that the don't take SFII sales performance too seriously.

Rncewind

You honestly believe that Capcom, who strongly supported 3DS, is iffy on the red hot Switch? C'mon.

People need to put away their pitchforks.

yes i really belive that because 3ds still exists and its getting supported. And the main moneymaker for capcom. How many games has capcom on wiiu, 3 ports? also before this capcom supported the psp and not nintendo.

Its asinine to think because a company supported a previous plattform it also automaticly gonna support the next

EhoaVash

Misleading title, but boy people do love to get their pitchforks out. Mob mentality.

Anyway Capcom is probably going to end up being the best 3rd party publisher on the system due to monster hunter. Remember how Nintendo said Capcom asked the switch to have 4 gb of ram. And Nintendo had to agree with them.

theyre bff's

The mismanagement at Capcom is truly mind blowing. They could make a killing on Switch by reviving Mega Man, putting Monster Hunter on it, releasing collections of fighters like Darkstalkers, SFA, SF3, etc.

Instead they are testing the waters with the re-release of SF2 at $40. Honestly, how fucking tone deaf are they?

kitsuneyo

It's #21 in the video game chart on Amazon.com, with Injustice 2 the only non-Switch game above it (rest of the chart is PSN cards, controllers etc.). So I guess it will do ok.

Seriously doubt Capcom don't have other Switch games already in the works, they are pretty close with Nintendo.

Akiller

This is the more important bit
-Capcom wants to resurrect old I.P, but doing so makes many problems crop up
Already going back on their word.

So they basically confirmed what we already knew:they don't want to spend money on risky IP revivals.Actually that quote sounds like a spin shaped "No".

At best we'll get old game remasters and Capcom will consider that task done.

j.rob

Oh Capcom.

When they say "HOW to support the Switch" I HOPE this means that if the game bombs they will think...

"Ok. We cant just do a Copy/Paste of an old game and charge stupid money for it despite the brand name. People are not dumb, the reviews generally suck. Our bad, lets actually invest properly in this system"

But I have the terrible feeling its just gonna instead be either.

"lol our initial game sold poorly. Lets not bother. Switch owners just get MH and the Ace Attorney series from now on. There are your pitty games."

Or.

"Switch owners don't want our games. Here are a few FPS on rails spinoffs nobody cares about so we can fund the bigger AAA games on PS4, Xbox and PC. Lolthxbye."

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This interpretation isn't any better for fans. SF2 on Switch shouldn't be used as an interpretation of anything. It's a 30 year old game, wtf can it tell you about the market?

How are people choosing to play the game? Table top mode multiplayer? Online? Single player? What play style people are using most could determine what future titles they decide to bring to Switch.

People are acting like Capcom's going to stop supporting the Switch if SF2 bombs.

They'll make games regardless of SF2 sales. Given how hot Switch is in Japan at the moment, I don't see Monster Hunter and co skipping it.

Please hold on the meltdowns.

It's obvious Capcom doesn't want to work with Nintendo anymore considering they skipped The Disney Afternoon Collection for Switch and the leaked Mega Man Anniversary Collection 2 is skipping it as well.

KingBroly

Banned
As the person who translated it, my big take away from that statement is tied closely is what they said about the early DS/Wii era.

They are waiting for Nintendo to make titles for the system utilizing the Switch's strengths and seeing what sells on the device so they know exactly what kind of titles they should commit to the system. While they wait and see how things goes they will release SF2.

I also find it interesting they are backstepping the reviving of old ip thing. I remember it wasn't too long ago they were talking about how important it was to bring them back.

This sounds exactly like what everyone is saying. It's their "test" like RE4 Wii was there. That succeeded, and they then proceeded to put out 2 RE rail shooters that no one wanted. People wanted another third person RE game but Capcom did their own stupid thing on Wii.

Aalvi

that's a pretty stupid thing to base on

they're not the only ones, I feel like they do this on purpose to low-key opt out

sinonobu

Banned
yes i really belive that because 3ds still exists and its getting supported. And the main moneymaker for capcom. How many games has capcom on wiiu, 3 ports? also before this capcom supported the psp and not nintendo.

Its asinine to think because a company supported a previous plattform it also automaticly gonna support the next

They are the one who asked Nintendo to increase Ram of Switch.

It's obvious Capcom doesn't want to work with Nintendo anymore considering they skipped The Disney Afternoon Collection for Switch and the leaked Mega Man Anniversary Collection 2 is skipping it as well.

Switch is not out in Korea yet

The only difference is that they managed to ship game earlier.

No, that's not the only difference. They actually created a new product.

Bomberman honestly isn't that great of a game, but it had significantly more effort put behind it than Street Fighter. They actually somewhat attempted to give consumers something new and they made sure to have it ready for launch.

blueredandgold

Neo Member
Won't be buying this game at launch, then.

I know how it reads, and how this usually goes.

Expect a 'that was a mistranslation' type of response from all involved. Happens a lot.

Frees me up for when they really do start supporting the Switch in earnest and put out Tatsunoko v Capcom: Now With Violent Ken

Nanashrew

Banned
How? What's the difference between Super Bomberman R and USF2?

Super Bomberman R is a brand new game in the series returning to its roots after a very, very long hiatus. It sold really well too! Likely among the best selling titles in the series right now. It was a great success and I hope to see a sequel and they go bigger.

I think MH will come even if USF2 sells like 2 copies.

I think this is more like 'how' they will support the platform.

= If this sells well they will release more shovelwares

Thinking about this some more, it still highlights how much of a joke Capcom's support has been for the Switch, especially given how they've had a few big-budget handheld games in production close to Switch release, like Great Ace Attorney 2 (out next month I believe), and Monster Hunter Stories. Both would scale up well with minimal effort - their engine was ported to Switch for USFII.

But nope, all Capcom bothered doing was Street Fighter. I can't deny that it's a good fit for the Switch, but it's amazing that execs at Capcom didn't even greenlight a Switch version of the Disney Afternoon Collection, or the second Mega Man Collection.

Both Lego City and Puyo Puyo Tetris sold an overwhelmingly higher number copies on Switch in a market where Nintendo isn't strong (the UK), and in the west, Disgaea 5 Complete overtook a year's worth of PS4 sales in pre-orders alone. Super Bomberman R was a success that resonated with people nostalgic for the old Hudson Soft breed of multiplayer game. Mario Kart 8 DX is tracking ahead of Wii U MK8 in America. There's demand for Switch software, and Capcom has missed the boat.

Sure, USFII is selling rather well (Number 1 of all games on Amazon France, top 20 in America and UK, charting above Tekken 7), but that's the only game they have lined up for Switch until October at the earliest. Even a quick Resi 4 port would be appealing.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Nobody supported Wii U! The Switch is not the Wii U!

Companies support popular platforms, which Switch most certainly is.

Top Bottom