• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT3| This thread is incompatible with all of your devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
Samsung used to do it right with the US versions of their phones.

but then they got popular enough to make the US models the same 'big button' style as international.

i gotta admit that i do like pressing the physical home button to power on the phone though!
The international layout is better. The search button is useless. Plus physical button has give.

wilflare

No you don't, you always have the etching where the light comes through. That's not a big deal for me, I'd like less bezel but no one has done it properly yet

on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, you can turn off the backlight for those buttons.
so I still get a thin bezel (while other than the annoying hardware home button and two capacitative buttons on its two sides) and a full 5.7inch screen :D

my only complaints are
(1) why isnt the home button capacitative
(2) not being able to customize what the two capacitative buttons do (both on press and longpress)

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
do people actually prefer those touchscreen buttons that takes up the screen estate?

I was hoping they create capacitative buttons that are outside the screen estate
No, I don't even like capacitive buttons, really wish that Verizon had the s4 active so I could have all physical buttons.

Does anyone else here use OSX as their main os?

After upgrading to Mavericks from Snow Leopard, and getting acclimated to all the iOS-centric changes and iCloud, I feel like I'm not getting the full experience because I use Android (Apple's intent, no doubt). Whereas on Snow Leopard, I pretty much lived in the Chrome browser and started using Google services instead of OSX's native apps (Mail, Calendar, iWork) after I finally got a smartphone.

Unless I'm just dumb and am able to link my Google account with OSX's native apps and notification center, it just seems like a big waste because I don't use an iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/etc. Is Windows better suited to an Android user? I have access to a Chromebook and to be honest, it fulfills pretty much all my needs. I was on track to switch to Chrome OS when I upgrade and save myself some money. But after this upgrade breathed new life into my old computer, I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I can understand if you need something for heavy photo/video editing or whatever but do you guys use iCloud, Mail, Calendar, Contacts, etc?

Fatalah

I handled the LG G2 for the first time today, and came away greatly impressed. The hardware is so pretty, the interface so swift and quick. The Nexus 5 is in good hands with LG.

Husker86

After upgrading to Mavericks from Snow Leopard, and getting acclimated to all the iOS-centric changes and iCloud, I feel like I'm not getting the full experience because I use Android (Apple's intent, no doubt). Whereas on Snow Leopard, I pretty much lived in the Chrome browser and started using Google services instead of OSX's native apps (Mail, Calendar, iWork) after I finally got a smartphone.

Unless I'm just dumb and am able to link my Google account with OSX's native apps and notification center, it just seems like a big waste because I don't use an iPhone/iPad/Apple TV/etc. Is Windows better suited to an Android user? I have access to a Chromebook and to be honest, it fulfills pretty much all my needs. I was on track to switch to Chrome OS when I upgrade and save myself some money. But after this upgrade breathed new life into my old computer, I feel like I'm doing it wrong.

I can understand if you need something for heavy photo/video editing or whatever but do you guys use iCloud, Mail, Calendar, Contacts, etc?

I have a MacBook Air and don't feel like I'm that disadvantaged by not using my iPhone as my main phone. All my data is with Google. All of my data works wherever I want to use it. iCloud is restrictive and any time I think I might want to try to integrate my Google stuff into iCloud I can't think of a good reason. My data is already on my Mac through Chrome (you can integrate into iCal if you really want).

I'm dumb. Having 2-step verification set up was making linking my account a little more involved.

Ahhh, the wonderfulness of one time passwords. Pain in the ass, but 2-step is too good at keeping my mind at ease.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

I use Mavericks. Google data can sync with all those apps you mentioned. It's great.

Fatalah

wIvdouA.jpg

Just an empty box of non-Android KitKats at my local Target. Booooo!

My GNex went apeshit when I was out in the boondocks yesterday afternoon. Didn't really use it before 3:30, then I had to call my mom. After that, I try to connect to data and EVERYTHING freezes and reboots. I did this several times and my battery, within minutes went from 46% to <35% to 14%!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywefaein2jnl8ms/Screenshot_2013-10-27-05-23-53.png
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qhmifddhpczlg3r/Screenshot_2013-10-27-05-24-37.png

What the hell would've done this? It was working fine AFAIK before 3:30 yesterday. My friend suggested it was "updates" causing the freezing problems but Google only updates on wifi.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Found some android Kit Kat at a local save a lot. I was quite shocked to see them there, of all places!

I bought two and will be need to wait 24 hours to redeem one evidently. On the first I won $5, so I bought House Of the Dead Overkill and some gold for Dead Trigger 2.

I'm holding out for a Nexus 7 2013 tomorrow!

gcubed

I use a Mac and tried to have it pull all of my data through sync and use the built in programs but I found them pretty terrible. It lasted about a week before I just used chrome again.

I use lightroom and at times I need to do something in a document (preso/pdf/omnigiraffe) that I can't do with Google docs, buy 95% of the time a chromebook would be sufficient

Nicktendo86

This is really odd but since getting my nexus 7 yesterday I have grown to appreciate my n4 even more. Not in a bad way, really hard to explain.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is this the first time I buy a white phone?

Groof

If it's anything like the white n7 2012 I would beware, that thing got stained very easily just from cases

Oh yeah I heard about that. But that thing was sort of different from the final shipping N7s though, wasn't it?
Either way the new N7 is just better built all around.

Nicktendo86

Oh yeah I heard about that. But that thing was sort of different from the final shipping N7s though, wasn't it?
Either way the new N7 is just better built all around.
Oh definitely, I keep comparing it to my wife's 2012 n7 and the difference is night and day.

snacknuts

we all knew her

I've been on OSX since February 2008. Since then, I have had an iPhone 3GS for eight months and an iPhone 4S for the same amount of time. I personally think the notion of a unified Apple platform is completely exaggerated. However, I use Google services for all the things that you're talking about using on OSX; I don't like mail or calendar desktop clients. I tried them when I got my first MacBook, but I abandoned them quickly, as I greatly prefer to just use the web interface in a browser for those services.

Please also note that iCloud sucks and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. Google blows Apple out of the water insofar as syncing data is concerned.

I've been on OSX since February 2008. Since then, I have had an iPhone 3GS for eight months and an iPhone 4S for the same amount of time. I personally think the notion of a unified Apple platform is completely exaggerated. However, I use Google services for all the things that you're talking about using on OSX; I don't like mail or calendar desktop clients. I tried them when I got my first MacBook, but I abandoned them quickly, as I greatly prefer to just use the web interface in a browser for those services.

Please also note that iCloud sucks and anyone who tells you otherwise is full of it. Google blows Apple out of the water insofar as syncing data is concerned.

Yeah, I've been really out of the loop. Apparently some iOS users don't want to use iCloud:

For iOS users, avoiding iCloud gets harder with Mavericks

Apple has quietly killed its SyncServices feature in OS X Mavericks, causing problems for iPhone and iPad users who had been avoiding iCloud while synchronizing contacts and calendars to their Macs. iCloud isn't technically required — Apple notes in a support article that you can still use "CardDAV servers, CalDAV servers, and servers that utilize the Exchange ActiveSync protocol" to get the job done — but all available options require sending information beyond the local network. As many commenters in an Apple support discussion thread note, that's a security concern, particularly amidst a year that has seen countless examples of NSA surveillance.

The company is apparently referring affected users to instructions for downgrading to Mountain Lion, but clearly, that doesn't work as a permanent solution as computers and phones get replaced. As one commenter says, "This was hardly publicized. I would have never upgraded."

poppabk

Yeah considering that you cant even use icloud on Snow Leopard whereas you can on windows 7, the apple ecosystem argument only seems to work if you are constantly upgrading.

ep85

Qf1n1wj.png

Galaxy Nexus dream come to reality.

They should add a hump to the back so it doesn't rock when you lie it on its back

tr4656

Yeah considering that you cant even use icloud on Snow Leopard whereas you can on windows 7, the apple ecosystem argument only seems to work if you are constantly upgrading.

Well, why wouldn't you upgrade to Mavericks anyways? Its a free upgrade and some of the small additions are pretty useful, such as tags and tabs. Multimonitor support is also much much better.

Avtomat

Its Monday morning where my KitKat @ Google.

I take it the new LG pics show the dual flash camera are they altering the flash like apple for better lighting?

poppabk

Well, why wouldn't you upgrade to Mavericks anyways? Its a free upgrade and some of the small additions are pretty useful, such as tags and tabs. Multimonitor support is also much much better.
Because you need to do a hardware upgrade for some iMacs of that era as they don't have enough memory, which is beyond the technical ability of some people.

zedge

omg LG

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/9188357/LG_G_Flex-4_verge_super_wide.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/9188347/LG_G_Flex-1_verge_super_wide.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I don't quite get the point of this but it looks slightly better than Samsungs stupid curved phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom