• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Call of Duty sales slowing down, Modern Warfare 3 down year over year

Eusis

Because some believe it brings a negative influence on the industry, and they're not wrong. You see so many developers imitating the CoD formula.
That's the core of it, many of the design choices Call of Duty and other major shooters popularized (or popularized FURTHER) are becoming industry norm, even when they have no place in the games or are simply tiresome to see all the time.

Well, it can be annoying to see something more interesting fail to do as well, but that's usually the way things go anyway in any medium and is only a legitimate problem if said interesting thing is considered a failure for it when otherwise it wouldn't have been.

GorillaJu

It was going to happen sooner or later - Activision's strength lies in their ability to milk the fuck out of it while they still can.

That is because there were a large number of accounts created at launch just to give MW3 a low score as soon as people could submit them.

I don't actually care why people rate the game down or whether it perfectly matches up with "average mainstream opinion" or any other vague, non-existent abstraction of that sort -- it obviously doesn't, much like Metascore itself isn't an accurate reflection of the true critical quality of a title from an objective standpoint.

What's interesting about this metric is rather as a sniff-test for claims of fanbase unhappiness. In normal situations, games actually get almost exactly the same rating from fans as critics (look at all the games like Uncharted 2 or Mass Effect 2 that demonstrate close alignment between critics and fans.) When a game is sitting 20% lower with fans than critics, it speaks to some real, meaningful dissatisfactions amongst a portion of the fanbase (as happened with, say, GTA4.) When a game is looking at a 90+ Metascore and a 30-ish fan score, it means that fans (people who care enough to buy the game) are also unhappy enough to spend time hunting down websites to trash the game on just out of a lack of any better way to express their displeasure.

So yes, I'm sure that the "real" "average" "rating" of the "mainstream" "audience" for MW3 wouldn't be exactly equivalent to 3.2, but it points to the level of irritation and dissatisfaction that dedicated fans are experiencing with the franchise at this point (and which, therefore, is probably starting to trickle out to more casual players.)

Makoto

I would argue that's the fault of creatively bankrupt publishers and/or developers, not CoD.
They're far from creatively bankrupt, the publishers are just incredibly risk adverse and won't let the developers' fresh ideas come to fruition out of fear that it won't be practical to develop in a timely manner or will fail in the market if it is developed. Better to just copy what works (from the perspective of publishers and some developers).

It's only 4.2% behind... that's not much considering that game sales in general are down 25% year over year. So CoD is still ahead of the curve :/

The drop off will get more pronounced as the year goes on. Down 2% for 3 months turns into down 4% over 6 months. There is not going to be any boost in sales and drop off is going to be steeper the farther from launch it gets. Maybe down 8% to 10% lower sales than Black Ops 1 year from launch? Hard to say exactly where it will end up, but trust that full year sales will be much lower than 4%.

Odrion

Banned
You know what? I'm really happy that Activision drove this formula into the ground. The sooner they kill the mindless military shooter genre like they did with the music genre, the better.

I have actually bought every CoD MW game and don't plan on buying the next one.
The amount of my playing time has decreased over each game and I would assume it's probably the same for a good portion of other players.

Yeah, I thought it was interesting that NBA 2K12 outsold CoD:MW3 in the most recent NPD. But then again, NBA 2K12 had a late start due to the strike.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
That's the core of it, many of the design choices Call of Duty and other major shooters popularized (or popularized FURTHER) are becoming industry norm, even when they have no place in the games or are simply tiresome to see all the time.

Well, it can be annoying to see something more interesting fail to do as well, but that's usually the way things go anyway in any medium and is only a legitimate problem if said interesting thing is considered a failure for it when otherwise it wouldn't have been.

I would argue that's the fault of creatively bankrupt publishers and/or developers, not CoD.

I think it's fine if they borrow some positive gameplay mechanics to bolster their game while inventing some unique concepts of their own, but that rarely happens. Most developers take the easy route. It's just easier to create something what the majority of market wants and buys in droves instead of creating something new which doesn't necessarily guarantee success. It also has a lot to do with increasing developing costs, and most studios nowadays don't really get a second chance if their experiment fails.

Gumby

Neo Member
So, like, when I was busy researching for a post about just how aggressively shitty Mass Effect 3 actually is, I discovered that there's actually one game with a worse critic-to-user gap*: Modern Warfare 3.

*That is, what you get when you subtract the user percentage score on Metacritic from the Metascore.
[/QOUTE]

Are you really taking the user score on metacritic eriously as a barometer of fans' feelings? When the game came out there were numerous campaigns on reddit and /v/ to bring the user score down. Check the profiles of the low scorers. They usually havent rated any other games. Also, of those who are disappointed in CoD's quality, who do you think *honestly* believes it's a 1 or 0 quality game? How many ratings are just fanboys of BF or just people who hate CoD who have never played it?

Edit: just read your above post. You're still assuming the people who rate it have played the game.

ta-va

Banned
even if it's down year over year, they still sold millions upon millions upon millions in their first WEEK....

with that being said, COMMENCE THE MILKING!

EuroMIX

You know what? I'm really happy that Activision drove this formula into the ground. The sooner they kill the mindless military shooter genre like they did with the music genre, the better.

Just Dance?

I can't really judge COD due to not really enjoying FPS games. I've been tempted to rent one of the most recent Wii iterations just out of curiosity.

Sojgat

Maybe it's because MW3 was awful!?!?!

This is probably right, MW3 is the worst COD game to date. The campaign is short and boring and the multiplayer maps are not very good. Many hardcores just went back to Black OPs. I would wait and see what Black Ops 2 does before jumping to any conclusions.

BLOPS was the best COD. Awesome campaign. Fun multiplayer. Kept the air kill streaks to a minimum in MP. The money system and wager lobbies were really fun. Zombies. MW3 stopped all that. I mean who decided to make maps so small? The spawn system was horrible. It was basically a game of get killed, spawn behind the guy who killed you, kill him and repeat the process for 10 minutes. Plus, I'm pretty much tired of shooters in general. I play BF3 from time to time but most of my playing time has been devoted to RPGs and racing games.

They burned COD out. Even if you want to go back in play a game like WaW, COD4, or MW2, it's nothing but hacked lobbies so it's not even worth playing the old classics online anymore. Shows me Activision doesn't really care. They basically never ever fix a COD game and put all the fixes in the next installment while managing to mess up the next installment with new problems. I'm glad I didn't pay for Elite. I actually feel bad for people who payed for elite and are still stuck with a broken game.

Doesn't really matter with all the great game coming out the rest of the year. I can live without COD.

Kusagari

Blops2 will probably do very good out the gate, maybe even break MW3's 24hr records, because most CoD fans loved Blops.

If Blops2 disappoints, though, I expect we'll see a real big decline in MW4.

For me WaW was the best game in the series. In fact I'd play it over any "modern" rendition if it wHadere not home to about 2000 hackers right now...

Had tanks
Balanced Kill Streaks
Good Maps
Gore

Sigh...i miss you WaW

Glass Rebel

I haven't bought a single CoD game but still managed to play most of them either at my cousin's or some friend's place. And I think I'll keep it this way.

I wonder how BO2 will be received when it comes out this year, most of my IRL dudebro friends don't seem too thrilled about the notion of another Black Ops. Half of them will still buy it because it's just what they do, but I've heard some talk about getting Halo 4 instead or looking for another title to play at years end.

RawPower

Banned
It's about fucking time.

"Success is dangerous. One begins to copy oneself, and to copy oneself is more dangerous than to copy others. It leads to sterility." --- Pablo Picasso

This is probably right, MW3 is the worst COD game to date. The campaign is short and boring and the multiplayer maps are not very good. Many hardcores just went back to Black OPs. I would wait and see what Black Ops 2 does before jumping to any conclusions.

It's terrible, but it's no WaW, Big Red One or 3.

Tenck

Installed it then played it for like 3 days. Uninstalled shortly after. Maps are so bad that I can just camp a few spots and I'd be on the top of the leaderboard. That's not to say others games don't suffer from this, but my god, the fucking respawn points are so pathetic. Kill a few people here and there, and then have some of their teammates spawn near you and clean them up too.

EuroMIX

Well, musical peripheral whatever genre YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

I could guess, but you did make a pretty generalising statement, and one that I have seen many make before, so I'm not trying to pick on you. It would be like me assuming that COD is all there is to the FPS genre and if it alone were to fall that the FPS genre would be "dead" and Activision killed it. It's funny because hardly anyone seemed to care all that much about the music and rhythm genre until Guitar Hero came along and made it more mainstream.

Drencrom

Been waiting a long time for this! Please join Activision's family grave anytime you want!

It's probably just BF3 eating up their sales

MW3's maps were the worst in the series for me. I will complain but I will be there at the next midnight launch.

Wish they would fix the glitches on 4 I would be back playing it all the time.

Kujo

When a game is looking at a 90+ Metascore and a 30-ish fan score, it means that fans (people who care enough to buy the game) are also unhappy enough to spend time hunting down websites to trash the game on just out of a lack of any better way to express their displeasure.
Of course there's no way to verify how many of those negative reviews did actually buy it, but many appeared within the first few hours, hundreds giving this a 0 and another certain FPS game a 10. Same thing happened to some exclusive first party games over the years, instant 3-4 as soon as they could submit.

That's not to say there aren't unhappy people, I'm sure there are, but so I have seen in every franchise. MW3 is getting 5-8x the players of the latest Halo title, the previous XBL online king. Its sales still seem to be at least MW2 level or slighty higher. If BO2 sells much less, than we can get some grasp of dissatisfaction.

MW3's maps were the worst in the series for me. I will complain but I will be there at the next midnight launch.

9A7mB.jpg

Hmm yes I forgot about COD3, that was awful I couldn't even be bothered finishing it. In any case the sooner the whole thing dies the better.
They've been churning out about one a year for almost a decade, I think everyone has forgotten most of them.

Did anyone else receive a survey from activision regarding MW3?

Asking some pertinent questions; I can only infer that the map packs didn't perform as they were to be expected.

kevinski

Banned
I'm not surprised that the series' sales are slowing down. I'm sure that they're still more than healthy enough to warrant a continuation of the series in Activision's eyes, though. By the way, I started playing the original Call of Duty again about an hour or two ago, and I must say that it's aged very well. The explosions still look fantastic, and the action is so much more tense than anything I've experienced in the newer CoD games. To an extent, I thank the lack of regenerating health for that, but I'd say that there's a lot to the game's presentation (especially in the sound department) that just makes certain situations terrifying.

NinjaBoiX

Hmm yes I forgot about COD3, that was awful I couldn't even be bothered finishing it. In any case the sooner the whole thing dies the better.
CoD 3 was fuck awful. I finished it, but man...

I thought the MW trilogy had a great campaign, BlOps wasn't so hot though. WaW was great in my book too, fantastic atmosphere.

Haunted

I don't think it's shooter fatigue setting in, as much as I would like that to be the case.

charlequin is probably on to something here, I did not know that the fanbase and the critics were so divided on the title.

Because some believe it brings a negative influence on the industry, and they're not wrong. You see so many developers imitating the CoD formula.
Good point.

knitoe

Don't understand the love for Black Ops.

Single play sucks with infinite respawns, especially on harder level.

Multi is crap with shitty netcode. Everytime I play, happens often, I jump people from behind, empty a clip, guy turns around and kills me, and on replay, I stood there like a statue. And, it's not my connection because most of the time I am host in MW2/3.

Top Bottom