• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Call of Duty sales slowing down, Modern Warfare 3 down year over year

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
still more than triple most game sales so why care ?

Activison will likely shoehorn the current UFC roster into the next game. They'll cameo as your squad-mates and commanding officers, and sales will float up and back to normal. Then when that starts to lag they'll initiate their "Freedom is YOUR Duty" campaign, and include vouchers for free M16s as pre-order bonuses.

J-Rock

Banned
Do you want sports games to add jetpacks and overshields? -_-

I'm down for some sci-fi sports games.

587110_46864_front.jpg

Bring it back!

Devs always copy CoD but forget to copy the most important thing, 60FPS.

Give a Coddy any other shooter at 30FPS and they will say it sucks because of it.
Hopefully we'll see a couple of other 60FPS shooters next gen

kuYuri

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._drove_Modern_Warfare_3_drop_says_analyst.php

Despite reports that sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 are beginning to slow down compared to the rest of the franchise, analyst group Cowen and Company says that this decline is down to significantly reduced sales in the PC, Wii and handheld versions, rather than the console releases.

Cowen's Doug Creutz said in his latest report that while life-to-date Modern Warfare 3 retail sales are indeed down 4.6 percent year-over-year compared to Black Ops, sales of the game on the Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms are actually slightly up year-over-year.

However, large declines in sales of the versions of the game for Nintendo Wii, handheld platforms and PC have driven the overall decline, he suggests.

He also said that sales faced "a fairly stiff challenge" from EA's Battlefield 3 which launched around the same time as Modern Warfare 3, and he pointed out that EA will not be repeating this move again this year when the next Call of Duty is released.

Overall, Cowen and Company has "slightly trimmed" its sales estimate for the next Call of Duty title to reflect the year-over-year decline of Modern Warfare 3, but the analyst believes that the chances of success for the next title in the series will remain high.

So sales are down YoY on PC, Wii, and DS, but sales are actually up on the systems where it tends to sell the most. Makes sense I guess.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
yeah, they have PC-centric BF3 with dedicated servers and some shitty port with no dedicated servers and no FOV options. Black Ops was a better package.

Derrick01

Banned
yeah, they have PC-centric BF3 with dedicated servers and some shitty port with no dedicated servers and no FOV options. Black Ops was a better package.

Yeah treat the PC gamers like shit and they'll actually refuse to buy your game for the most part unlike console gamers. Hopefully Activision learned this and I'll be interested to see if the next IW COD follows the lesson. I have faith Black Ops 2 will be similar to 1 though it better be a more solid game at launch than BO1.

kuYuri

Yeah treat the PC gamers like shit and they'll actually refuse to buy your game for the most part unlike console gamers. Hopefully Activision learned this and I'll be interested to see if the next IW COD follows the lesson. I have faith Black Ops 2 will be similar to 1 though it better be a more solid game at launch than BO1.

Well, the game being consistently in the Steam top 10 top sellers list since launch sure is sending the wrong message.

Vinci

Danish
The amount of glee some people are expressing in here over this fact is pretty hilarious. Nothing against it - I'm not exactly a COD guy. But it's just funny to see so many people cheering its possible fall from grace.

Meier

I wish I'd been able to sell my Activision when it was over $14. Hopefully Diablo 3 absolutely slaughters sales expectations..

Woo-Fu

Banned
I think the analysts might need to find a new profession if they really want to attribute this decline to casual gamers using their consoles for streaming video instead. I believe they've got cause and effect reversed on that one.

The real reason sales are slowing down is because the game type doesn't lend itself to the saturation Activision is throwing at it. Instead of people jumping to each new game like they do with Madden---presumably for roster updates---they're just fragmenting the CoD userbase between multiple CoD titles, causing sales for individual titles to not live up to what the first couple managed.

DICE had the same problem with bf2, its expansions, and 2142.

therapist

Mw3 sucks.
Same concencus alost everyone i know bought it , and not 2 months later were totally bored of it.

I still play black ops - its way better (Pc)

Hopefully trey's next is also awesome.

Dabanton

I think the analysts might need to find a new profession if they really want to attribute this decline to casual gamers using their consoles for streaming video instead. I believe they've got cause and effect reversed on that one.

The real reason sales are slowing down is because the game type doesn't lend itself to the saturation Activision is throwing at it. Instead of people jumping to each new game like they do with Madden---presumably for roster updates---they're just fragmenting the CoD userbase between multiple CoD titles, causing sales for individual titles to not live up to what the first couple managed.

DICE had the same problem with bf2, its expansions, and 2142.

I'd agree the next big jump will be next year when the new systems arrive potentially arrive and they get a fresh userbase reset.

People are spread out over 4-5 titles.

Infinity Ward can go and screw themselves, Black Ops was the peak of the Call of Duty franchise.

And all of this has to do with the lack of a Zombies mode, why would i want to play Military Shooter #98 when i can be driving RC cars, shooting explosive arrows, and recording my matches.

Ya this is how I feel too. I had the most fun with Blops. Zombies was always a blast as well.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The amount of glee some people are expressing in here over this fact is pretty hilarious. Nothing against it - I'm not exactly a COD guy. But it's just funny to see so many people cheering its possible fall from grace.

The sooner Call of Duty stops making Call of Duty Money, the sooner publishers will stop trying to force everything into the Call of Duty mold.

Az

I just feel for myself COD has become worse and worse as the years go by. I've put in days in COD4 and MW2, and I just can't stand the newer ones.

Maybe I am just getting old and over it, I guess.

MDSLKTR

I hope blops 2 has a survival mode, that's the only thing mw3 had for itself, the rest was vastly inferior. I can't even remember any multiplayer map now.

Top Bottom