• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Call of Duty sales slowing down, Modern Warfare 3 down year over year

Maybe not, but if players are becoming less satisfied with each yearly entry I'd really hope Activision would step back and realize too frequent installments helped kill two formerly strong franchises of theirs -- although Tony Hawk and GH were asking for more money because of those plastic peripherals.

And This time activision has more time to do that.

Unlike GH and TH the dip is going slowly. If for so reason BLOPS 2 takes a HUGE dip in sales, which i doubt, then Activision should be in panic mode.

But this is no news, more so when the difference is so low and the game is still charting.

My roommates are obsessed with Call of Duty. The game is on for at least 4 hours a day, every day. I hate it.

They'll probably buy the next one too, but I hope it starts to die off.

Or get new roommates... rather to hope that something they enjoy should die.

CoD died when Infinity Ward did and the series' was compromised by having Treyarch produce a game every other year. They watered down the brand and then lost their best talent.

I eagerly await Respawn's first game. I bet they'll capture what made the IW games so great.

JB1981

I liked it because there was virtually 0 sniping going on for whatever reason. I must have been sniped no more than 15 times when I played the game for the first couple of months on 360. Whether it was just luck or level design I loved it.

Because sniping was hard as hell and gimped like a mofo

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The fact that 1, UO and 4 are long gone and it's now just a mess of overpowered abilities and poorly constructed maps.

No one is forcing you to play it and people clearly enjoy overpowered abilities. I think Battlefield 3 is a complete mess, but I want it to be fixed, not scorched off the face of the earth.

Doesn't anybody realize ALL game sales seem to be down right now? More than 4% from what I can tell.

So this could easily be just COD being caught in the larger trend.
That is far less exciting apparently.

hamchan

It really is premature for people to start celebrating the death of CoD :lol

At least wait until BLOPS 2 is out first and how good it is. For all we know MW3's slight decline is from it being awful compared to previous entries.

Sojgat

The campaign needs to evolve more than the multiplayer. At this point it's just getting stupid that the player can't open a door for themselves.

Hey You

Modern Warfare 3 online blows. That's why. A lot of people I know got so sick of it they went back to Black Ops.

^

I was hyped by MW3, but then played the actual game. I only play it occasionally to play the Infected or FFA Gunplay playlist. Glad I didn't support IW or Activision for that trash.

Bring on Black Ops 2.

The campaign needs to evolve more than the multiplayer. At this point it's just getting stupid that the player can't open a door for themselves.

I know there are people who will argue to just remove the campaign mode entirely, but I think it definitely should be looked at. I don't know if I was now just noticing it (because previous games have done this), but it just felt like there were more scripted sequences than actual gameplay, and this time it played like a boring shooting gallery -- all in under 6 hours on Normal.

Fuck it, just set the entire campaign inside the AC-130. lol

I'm interested in seeing what new IPs activision can throw out once WoW and CoD start to slow down.

Not interested in the sense that "I want to see them fail", I'm just excited to see what new products they can come out with. WoW is amazing, and CoD4 really did set the bar for multiplayer fps console gaming.

I've never played a Call of Duty (except the very first one) and never played a Modern Warfare. Hell, I've only played 2 Halos. I'd be thrilled if other genres got as much attention as these I'd be a happy gamer.

RPGamer92

Banned
Another thing to consider is that November 2011 also had Skyrim and Uncharted 3 come out which took MW3 money away compared to November 2010 with GT5 and DKCR which are smaller than the 2011 games.

I don't think so? Maybe average per title, but there were three main FFs, 7 and 8 both sold ~10 million-ish, and 9 and Tactics surely did a few million each too. So maybe 30 million all up for the gen (less than Mario Kart Wii alone, times have changed).

I was under the impession GT1 sold 10 mil, GT2 sold 5 mill and the series really took off with 3 on the PS2. So significantly less than FF. Heck even Crash Bandicoot sold those numbers all up.

GT1 sold 10m and GT2 sold 9m. I was just speaking about on average. The brand was certainly bigger then (and still is).

I don't understand the desperation that *certain* people have for this series to die.

The series doesn´t have to die, but I want it to be much less succesful. The hysterical sales figures for it have resulted in way too many developers and publishers shifting focus to trying to ride on the CoD wave. I know that this industry will always follow trends since so few dares to be leaders, but this is one trend that does absolutely nothing for me. CoD success just isn´t good for me.

Makes sense. My friends list used to have a bunch of people playing COD.. this time around there were a few playing it around the release but they stopped shortly after and that was it.
I actually thought the drop-off in sales would be more severe based on that but it just goes to show that anecdotal evidence does show part of the story but is usually still way off.

BurntPork

Banned
I actually do wonder about this. I know personally I haven't bought a new copy of a CoD game since MW2 (and MW2 was a xmas present at that) but I would actually be willing to buy a 3DS or Vita version if it was the exact same game, with online, and in the case of the 3DS supported the second analog stick. I think it would make a fun game to play online when I am laying on my bed about to go to sleep.

Point being, I am curious if proper 3DS/Vita versions of the games would actually sell decent amounts.

Assuming the online doesn't suck, wouldn't Wii U be best for that style of play actually? Or, at least it would be Wii U >= Vita >>>>>> 3DS (since 3DS would be stuck with terrible graphics)

Not that it matters. An analyst said that Activision isn't going to support Wii U and then someone called Activision, and they said that they haven't announced anything, clearly proving it!

lol. I'm joking.

Anyway, this isn't surprising. I guessed this would happen based on the first month sales. It'll be fine for at least three more years.

megamerican

I think that almost everyone, including Activision, knew that this was inevitable. I'm more curious as to whether Activision is willing to torpedo the franchise into the ground, wringing out all the short term sales it still can, or whether it will allow the series a bit of breathing room to try a new approach.

I'm still hesitant to cheer this news. COD isn't high art, but it is a bright spot in a struggling industry.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So people get sick of a game if it gets rehashed again and again, year after year?

Thank you.

Deadbeat

Banned
I know there are people who will argue to just remove the campaign mode entirely, but I think it definitely should be looked at. I don't know if I was now just noticing it (because previous games have done this), but it just felt like there were more scripted sequences than actual gameplay, and this time it played like a boring shooting gallery -- all in under 6 hours on Normal.

Fuck it, just set the entire campaign inside the AC-130. lol
It better have the door bell sound effect.

FyreWulff

I don't think anyone really thought it'd be sustainable for much longer.

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think the FPS Bubble is sustainable for much longer as a whole. It'll come and go just like the character platformer boom. But if you ever keep track of how many FPSes come out in a year, it's freaking insane.

Alternate post:

People are finally figuring out that the Treyarch CoDs are better.

hamchan

Just my personal opinion, but I don't think the FPS Bubble is sustainable for much longer as a whole. It'll come and go just like the character platformer boom. But if you ever keep track of how many FPSes come out in a year, it's freaking insane.
FPS games have been popular for a very very very (very) long time now. They aren't going anywhere.

rCIZZLE

I still don't understand all the hate for CoD. There are plenty of games I don't fancy but I don't root against them like they're a rival sports team.

Draconian

I still don't understand all the hate for CoD. There are plenty of games I don't fancy but I don't root against them like they're a rival sports team.

Apparently companies aren't allowed to make games other people enjoy. That and everybody's apparent hatred of FPS's cause them to get up in arms about almost anything with this series. I can only imagine the reaction from some if the same attitudes were held towards genres like fighting games.

Sojgat

Imagine there were a group of guys and one day they decided to go sell their shit, and everyone in the world bought it thinking it was the best shit ever and the guys made more money than anyone had ever dreamed. Now imagine everyone else saw this and thought "hey I'm full of shit, why don't I make that kind of money". So then they all started selling their shit and then suddenly everybody is just buying and selling nothing but shit and the world is covered in it.

Cranzor

I wish they'd just hand it over to Treyarch. Call of Duty 4 was fantastic. Modern Warfare 2 and 3 were pretty abysmal. I did have a lot of fun with Black Ops though, and I don't usually like FPS that much. Also, a lot of people who only play Call of Duty bought Skyrim. I think some gamers want a different experience but don't know where to look, so they go where their friends are.

TheNatural

My Member!
Imagine there were a group of guys and one day they decided to go sell their shit, and everyone in the world bought it thinking it was the best shit ever and the guys made more money than anyone had ever dreamed. Now imagine everyone else saw this and thought "hey I'm full of shit, why don't I make that kind of money". So then they all started selling their shit and then suddenly everybody is just buying and selling nothing but shit and the world is covered in it.

This may be the best explanation I've ever heard of about Call of Duty and FPS'. Bravo.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That percentage doesn't sound like a big deal.

Peaking also probably isn't a bad thing, if they can actually maintain this level of sales without a meaningful decline.

Of course it's up to them and the competition, but yeah, I don't think it's a cut and dry "COD has fallen".

TheMan

I agree. It doesn't make sense to see so many people say "good, COD sucks, blah blah blah". Perhaps there are issues with the games (I have MW2 but never got truly sucked in so I can't comment on nuances) but the fact is, if these games are selling then people are enjoying them, and THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF VIDEO GAMES. Not to mention, you don't have to play COD if you don't want to. There are plenty of other fantastic games/genres out there to delve into.

That said, this is not surprising at all. Series fatigue is to be expected, and sadly it will inevitably end with people losing their jobs.

BurntPork

Banned
It's obvious they couldn't keep up the pace, but if you think Call of Duty is even close to enter the danger zone you are way too delusional.

The next 2 Call of Duty will outsell all your favorite games, without any trouble.

What if my favorite game is Mario Kart Wii, NSMBMii, or GTAV?

rCIZZLE

If you don't like CoD you have plenty of options. I'm tired of this "every shooter is now a CoD clone! CoD must die!" because it's bs. Some shooters add some elements but the market is hardly flooded with clones. People just hate whatever is popular.

It's not necessarily COD hate, but the impact COD has had on the industry that people hate.

How so? Plenty of other games still being made.

scitek

The talk of the amazing quality these games consist of must be referring to the multiplayer. I've enjoyed Treyarch's single-player campaigns more than Infinity Ward's, and even then I'm talking as a throwaway rental experience at best.

It's funny though, BLOPS got a ton of shit from fans during most of its prime for things like the atrocious hit detection/networking problems and second chance, now, given the flaws of MW3 it's seen as a bit of a masterpiece. I'm pretty much in this camp too though MW3 did introduce some things that I hope 3arc include in BLOPS2.

Popped in BLOPS, MW3 and MW2 back to back during the busiest time of the day and the split was roughly ~400K MW3, ~220K BLOPS, ~90k MW2. This would support the notion that a lot of people have returned to BLOPS, which has very good numbers, rather than given up entirely on the franchise.

rCIZZLE

look at capcoms comments about call of duty for instance, it's this idea that this level of success has to be chased by making their games more like it. Even square with FF13.

So... they try to take elements that people enjoy about CoD and put it in their games. How is that a bad thing? Like I said to he other guy, there is still a variety of different shooters.

AHA-Lambda

So if that the top dog is "wounded" so to speak who is going to take its place?

Even with its diminished sales nothing is coming close to MW3, the whole industry is down in many sectors. BF3 grew in sales (not sure about its market share though) but will it even come close to CoD?

Any idea when ATVI next fiscal report is?

So... they try to take elements that people enjoy about CoD and put it in their games. How is that a bad thing? Like I said to he other guy, there is still a variety of different shooters.
I don't want resident evil to be a goddamn shooter first. I want it to be a survival horror game with decent shooting mechanics. Now it's looking like gears of resident duty 6.

It's this notion that every game, every franchise has to be a super success like COD and their games should be formed around that idea that bugs me.

I should note that I'm a COD fan. MW3 is my least liked one by far, but I'm a fan.

Top Bottom