• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

Fou-Lu

This game really snuck up on me, and here I am with an exhausted game budget... Soulcalibur is my favorite fighting series and the only one where I am better than everyone I know IRL.

GrayFoxPL

Nope sold to them is is sold to a retailer. There's no data in the world that would back up 3.5 million copies sold in homes. Tekken 6 never even charted in the US/Euro, and was minimal in Japan.

Lol. Think about it for a second. Here are namco's financial results for Q1 2010.
http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/E8A39CE8B6B3E8B387E69699EFBC88E88BB1EFBC892010201Q.pdf
In Q1 they sold 1 mil of T6 but they shipped over 2 millions of the game.

I don't think you realize how popular the tekken brand really is.

Think about it another way. If they shipped over 2 million and by now it sold over 3,5 mil then if the launch 2 million didn't sell, why would they ship additional 1,5 million to retailers over the next course of 2 years?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
To say that CAS sucks cause you can create dumb characters is, dumb:p

I had a LOT of fun with CAS. I just went through my pics and I'm amazed at how well I could re-created characters from games or animes or whatever, but also make awesome alts for the main characters.

Id-Siegfried
bdjZJ.jpg

Dragon Guardian Hilde
ziv8G.jpg

What about Repented Nightmare, Paladin? Or goth Tira? Or Roman Legionaire Sophitia?
LsjzY.jpg

I can't wait to make some new stuff:)

DR2K

Banned
Lol. Think about it for a second. Here are namco's financial results for Q1 2010.
http://www.bandainamco.co.jp/files/E8A39CE8B6B3E8B387E69699EFBC88E88BB1EFBC892010201Q.pdf
In Q1 they sold 1 mil of T6 but they shipped over 2 millions of the game.

I don't think you realize how popular the tekken brand really is.

Think about it another way. If they shipped over 2 million and by now it sold over 3,5 mil then if the launch 2 million didn't sell, why would they ship additional 1,5 million to retailed over the next course of 2 years?

Which is why retailers bought it in droves. Consumers didn't. If we compile all the data for sales then that's the only reasonable conclusion. There is no sales tracker in the world that can show those numbers for a reason.

Also SCIV did incredible numbers and charted very well within the first few months for reference.

mugwhump

Great OP!

Pretty sure I've read every page on this game on GAF and was not informed the game has 50 (!!!!) player lobbies, replays that autosave and ghost data based on top players.

Wait wat

Are you just talking about the quick match AIs?

AAK

DLC in general. Tekken 6 had some preorder DLC though.

Dude... you're claiming that Tekken sold only approximately hundred's of thousands despite selling 3.5 million to retailers? So going by your logic there are millions of copies of Tekken 6 idly lying all over retail chains?

Tekken 6 really did sell 3.5 million. It's not that hard to believe at all. It's not as much as the PS2 versions or T3 either. It's a very high selling series.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
More commentary on the Devil Jin situation:

http://8wayrun.com/threads/demon-souls-soul-of-devil-jin-general-discussion.9742/page-4#post-377707

I gotta say, I really don't agree with IdleMind here. He is basically whining that if a dude uses Devil Jin at an EVO-sponsored major because they allow it and thus violates the 8wayrun "ruling" he and the other admins there came up with then it would divide the community.

What this means is Evo just handed Oofmatic the win.

GrayFoxPL

Which is why retailers bought it in droves. Consumers didn't. If we compile all the data for sales then that's the only reasonable conclusion. There is no sales tracker in the world that can show those numbers for a reason.

Also SCIV did incredible numbers and charted very well within the first few months for reference.

Whaa..?

Ok, you just defy logic. No one wins against that.

It's 3AM, so I'm willing to leave this like that and go finally to bed.

DR2K

Banned
Whaa..?

Ok, you just defy logic. No one wins against that.

It's 3AM, so I'm willing to leave this like that and go finally to bed.

Dude... you're claiming that Tekken sold only approximately hundred's of thousands despite selling 3.5 million to retailers? So going by your logic there are millions of copies of Tekken 6 idly lying all over retail chains?

Tekken 6 really did sell 3.5 million. It's not that hard to believe at all. It's not as much as the PS2 versions or T3 either. It's a very high selling series.

Well please find the sales data that says otherwise. I couldn't find it, because the game didn't even chart within months of release. Anywhere but media create.

Oh well thread derail has gone on long enough, lol.

Man this game really needs the save screenshot function in the xmb like tekken 6. Would love to see everyone's creations in direct feed screenshots.

Ah, the pics are the same so didn't even realize. Just assumed it was "collectors" meaning it would have a limited print run.

You are sort of correct lol. I just read this comment on the Future Press Facebook regarding someone who was asking about the collector's edition guide.

Sorry for not replying sooner, Joshua. We're just crazy busy finishing current projects. Michelle is correct, there will be only one edition of both titles, and that's going to be hardcover only. The term "Collector's Edition" is just an add-on at Amazon.co.uk and since Amazon.com automatically gets product feeds from UK as well, it appears on the US site, too (however, not available for purchase). So, wherever and whatever listing you pre-order, you'll get the same guide (both Soulcalibur V and Reckoning).

Skilletor

You are sort of correct lol. I just read this comment on the Future Press Facebook regarding someone who was asking about the collector's edition guide.

That explains why I didn't get a notification this would be shipping in a week. I was on the wishlist for the wrong one.

mugwhump

Can we have the voices of regular characters but change their appearances? I need to make a Suzaku Patroklos CaC and a Lelouche Xiba CaC.

Well please find the sales data that says otherwise. I couldn't find it, because the game didn't even chart within months of release. Anywhere but media create.
Didn't chart where? On the top 10? Because that means next to nothing. You know retailers can return unsold stock, right? 3.5 mil to retailers means at least 2.5 mil were sold to customers, at the absolute minimum.

Hahaha, oh man. That was silly. Are those in the game? More fighters need entertaining tutorials.

Yeah, she can, but her shit is like 28284666A+G now
That's... about 50 times easier to remember than whatever it was in SC2. Good to hear.

It isn't just one website, it's the SRK of SoulCal sites. Would you want 8WR determining banlists for SF4? There is nothing inherent about Evo, SRK, or the Cannons that makes them a better judge of tourney worthiness then the 8WR folks.
I'm getting flashbacks to the great Brawl debate of Evo '08...

GrayFoxPL

I just linked you to their financial report for q1 that already proven you wrong. They shipped over 2m and sold 1m in Q1. They shipped 2 million to retailers and then what? Sold 1 million to retailers? What world do you live in?

Every new game debuts on charts, what the hell are you talking about?
Some quick google searches:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/25877/Saling_The_World_Borderlands_Beats_Forza_3_in_US_Sales.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...all_Manager_Rules_DJ_Hero_Debuts_At_No_20.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/26079/NPD_October_Top_20_Sees_Impressive_Demons_Souls_Showing.php
http://darkzero.co.uk/game-news/uk-sales-chart-–-week-ending-31st-october/

kuroshiki

Dude. When you want to initiate the argument, you need to back it up your own story, not the other way around. That's the basis of every argument.

DR2K

Banned
I just linked you to their financial report for q1 that already proven you wrong. They shipped over 2m and sold 1m in Q1. They shipped 2 million to retailers and then what? Sold 1 million to retailers? What world do you live in?

Oh so it did chart(at the bottom on release month). Well case closed. Million seller indeed. Stuffing the retail channel isn't new or unheard of.

Dude. When you want to initiate the argument, you need to back it up your own story, not the other way around. That's the basis of every argument.

How does game that doesn't chart well sell millions in homes? That doesn't happen. The absence of sales data is very telling in its own.

So back to Soul Calibur V. Is the game being sold at said launch party?

Oh so it did chart(at the bottom on release month). Well case closed. Million seller indeed. Stuffing the retail channel isn't new or unheard of.

How does game that doesn't chart well sell millions in homes? That doesn't happen. The absence of sales data is very telling in its own.

So back to Soul Calibur V.
Is the game being sold at said launch party?

Awesome, smooth-ass return to topic transition.

That was derailed because of you.

Not to keep the negative TK6 sales things going, but it's interesting.

Grayfox, or anybody. Does anybody have a sales breakdown of what price Tekken 6 sold per copy sold?

I seem to remember Namco shipping a lot to retailers, and I remember the price went down pretty quick (relatively).

I bought it at $30, and I know a lot of people bought it at $20.

It's just interesting how this kind of stuff pans out, and how much profit Namco is making if the price drops too fast, and if they have to pay some retailers back some money for unsold stock, and if Namco is like too bad, you bought those copies already.

O yea,

SC5 is awesome, hehe.

TDLink

That yoshimitsu round steal came out of nowhere. Crazy that this dude is so good with ZWEI already too.

Soakrates (GAFer) is playing on stream.

this game is so fucking good holy shit

so far ive won every match ive played with seigfried raphael and mitsurugi, and lost every match ive played with zwei :(

more impressions later, im almost up again

d0c_zaius

the other commentator is really killing the vibe for this event. its like someone stuck some guy from an infomercial in my SC5 stream.

and this isn't esports, no need for the interviews with the players.

game doesnt look bad though.

TDLink

Goddamn, that match was so hype. Thanks for the show soakrates, was rooting for you and you nearly had it too. That ring out you did on Hilde in round one was really badass.

Skilletor

Hilde still looks super strong. Safe as hell.

I wonder if you can quickstep what looked like a two hit charge move after the fist hit.

Top Bottom