• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soulcalibur V |OT| Go home and be a salary man!

FinKL

I've looked at a bunch of videos of both and I kinda get the impression they both are primarily based on Sophitia.

From the moves I've seen so far I'd say that normal Pyrrha mostly has new moves, a bunch of Sophitia's moves and a few of Cassandra's moves. While Omega Pyrrha has very few moves, a ton of moves from Sophitia and some moves from Cassandra.

So omega is the closest you'll get to Cassandra in the game, but she still is more like Sophitia.

Interesting to know, dying for more footage of Pyr.O

And of course they won't be unlocked for tonight's stream :p

This is the new reality in fighting game development... They were inevitable when the game was announced.
Fixed.

Instead of people paying to play the initial versions in the arcades funding the upgrades made in the final version we got on consoles, we get DLC. It's the same in principle as it always was.

Skilletor

Fixed.

Instead of people paying to play the initial versions in the arcades funding the upgrades made in the final version we got on consoles, we get DLC. It's the same in principle as it always was.

Naw dawg, it's totally different from MK, SF4, Marvel, Blazblue, or Skullgirls. THIS IS NAMCO, THEREFORE IT IS A SCAM!

Did T6 sell all that well though? That could have something to do with it.

It sold very well. I'd say it has more to do with not wanting to constantly update the arcade version, which is where Tekken still makes a fuckton of monies.

Did T6 sell all that well though? That could have something to do with it.
Tekken 6 did their updating with a second arcade version. Which people proceeded to bitch about needing to wait too long to comes to consoles.

Every major fighting game gets paid updates, be it in the arcade, console, or both.

Haha OK guys.

Well anyway I think it'd be foolish to bet against DLC coming for this game. I can feel it in my old mans' bones, like a gathering storm.

OSHAN

Futurepress is doing the guide.

480 pages.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3869930551/?tag=neogaf0e-20

51joh3AYO0L._SS400_.jpg

I've always liked FP guides, but I can't speak for this one.

GrayFoxPL

Haha OK guys.

Well anyway I think it'd be foolish to bet against DLC coming for this game. I can feel it in my old mans' bones, like a gathering storm.

In the older thread I posted that they would have to patch a new character select screen before dlc characters because there are no more free slots left afaik.

Not that it would be a problem, it's just picture with holes, but it would be a first.
MK had special uncovering slots for dlc. Maybe they do something like that.

TDLink

In the older thread I posted that they would have to patch a new character select screen before dlc characters because there are no more free slots left afaik.

Not that it would be a problem, it's just picture with holes, but it would be a first.
MK had special uncovering slots for dlc. Maybe they do something like that.

They could utilize the "there is totally something underneath that" tablet on the 3rd row to open a sub-menu just for DLC characters...as they have done in past SC games for bonus characters.

GrayFoxPL

Yeah I'd buy new characters depending on who they were.

I had to take a pass on Darth Vader though in SC4. So dumb.

When I bought SCIV I only played Vader for like a week. So good guilty pleasure.

How undeniably out of the blue and wacked his inclusion was, he had awesome moves and animations and played like Darth Vader should too. Badass.

FinKL

I'm all for banning DJ once we figure out he's broken especially if Heihachi was any indication. If DJ was tournament balanced, Project soul team should of just made a preset CaS character for all of us to use, but instead, we'll be wasting our time with the whole "Did you make a tournament legal DJ" and I can understand the hassle of getting it set up.

They should just make Kilik the new tournament DJ standard, problem solved. Can't you adjust original characters and give them different styles :)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
No time for one fighter yet alone billions. But as someone who loves the FGC, I will support this game. We can do streams of it if need be.

TDLink

I'm all for banning DJ once we figure out he's broken especially if Heihachi was any indication. If DJ was tournament balanced, Project soul team should of just made a preset CaS character, but instead if we do allow him, we'll be wasting our time with the whole "Did you make a tournament legal DJ"

They should just make Kilik the new tournament DJ standard, problem solved.

Well Daishi did say he is tournament balanced so...we can't actually disagree with that until we get our hands on it. The footage we have so far doesn't really show him to be over-powered compared to the rest of the cast though. Additionally, in bringing up Kilik you also bring up another problem if he gets banned. What if Edgemaster or Kilik get his style in a match? Do we just have to ban both of those characters as well because of this?

Well Daishi did say he is tournament balanced so...we can't actually disagree with that until we get our hands on it. The footage we have so far doesn't really show him to be over-powered compared to the rest of the cast though. Additionally, in bringing up Kilik you also bring up another problem if he gets banned. What if Edgemaster or Kilik get his style in a match? Do we just have to ban both of those characters as well because of this?
Do you see the comment Idlemind made about a tournament organizer needing to specifically ensure every time Devil Jin is picked someone won't try to use a visually similar model that doesn't use the default stats? Which can be tough when a tournament runs multiple setups. Essentially, the possibility of cheating the system exists unless there is a predefined model provided by Namco.

Skilletor

Do you see the comment Idlemind made about a tournament organizer needing to specifically ensure every time Devil Jin is picked someone won't try to use a visually similar model that doesn't use the default stats? Which can be tough when a tournament runs multiple setups. Essentially, the possibility of cheating the system exists unless there is a predefined model provided by Namco.

Why doesn't the opponent of the person using devil jin ensure that? If the opponent has a problem with the created DJ, he should say so before the match.

TDLink

Yes I saw it, I also read that whole topic and I agree with the last comment I posted from it. The one that calls IdleMind out on that being completely on the players if it happened...because it would be.

Why doesn't the opponent of the person using devil jin ensure that? If the opponent has a problem with the created DJ, he should say so before the match.

Bingo.

Because you might not be able to tell by looking at the little card, if the person is a smart enough cheat. Then we have disputes going on in the middle of tournaments. No one wants that kind of thing.

I think instead of complaining about it on the various forums we should be asking for Namco on Twitter to just throw the *already* made Harada character in as a full bonus character. Everyone wins.

FinKL

Yep, to early for theory fighter, but if DJ is banned Edgemaster/Kilik are banned as well IF they can take after DJ's style.

Does anyone know the tournament standard with that Tekken mimic treestump guy? Mokojin? I thought I saw footage of him allowed?

I don't like mimic's to be in because it sways matches for luck over skill IF they change style per round (Assuming both player knows everything about their characters) There's always a chance for a 9-1 round then next round it being a 3-7 matchup. Who knows if the mimics change every round or stage/set. I'm all for mimics if they stay with their style for a battle (first to 3 rounds)

Skilletor

Because you might not be able to tell by looking at the little card, if the person is a smart enough cheat. Then we have disputes going on in the middle of tournaments. No one wants that kind of thing.

I'm assuming the opponent watches the character creation, making sure the person who wishes to choose DJ is legit.

Either that, or having a default DJ on machines running Soul Calibur, in which case it isn't any different than making sure each machine in a game like, say SF or MK, has all DLC.

I'm assuming the opponent watches the character creation, making sure the person who wishes to choose DJ is legit.

Either that, or having a default DJ on machines running Soul Calibur, in which case it isn't any different than making sure each machine in a game like, say SF or MK, has all DLC.
Creating the character before every match is a ridiculous time sink and keep in mind most non-majors are run on consoles loaned by tourney players. Would you loan your console out if you had to be concerned about tournament organizers deleting your customs to keep things easy to track? It's not the same as making DLC is there, which is a yes-no proposition. This is a matter of going into Create a Soul and making sure before each match that each of the two Devil Jin customs (you'll need two in case of mirror matches) are legit. This is compounded by the fact that if the tournament organizer takes his eyes off the machine in between matches, someone could go into Create a Soul and alter an already preapproved Devil Jin custom. Is it the responsibility of everyone at every tournament to take turns watching the machines like a hawk to ensure no wrongdoing has occurred?

This is one of the things Namco needs to actually address that shouldn't cost us a dime.

Skilletor

Creating the character before every match is a ridiculous time sink and keep in mind most non-majors are run on consoles loaned by tourney players. Would you loan your console out if you had to be concerned about tournament organizers deleting your customs to keep things easy to track? It's not the same as making DLC is there, which is a yes-no proposition. This is a matter of going into Create a Soul and making sure before each match that each of the two Devil Jin customs (you'll need two in case of mirror matches) are legit. This is compounded by the fact that if the tournament organizer takes his eyes off the machine in between matches, someone could go into Create a Soul and alter an already preapproved Devil Jin custom. Is it the responsibility of everyone at every tournament to take turns watching the machines like a hawk to ensure no wrongdoing has occurred?

This is one of the things Namco needs to actually address that shouldn't cost us a dime.

If it's such a time sink, I don't think it's so easy as just going in to change it.

Why not just make the Harada custom the default. Make one blue, one red or something. As far as being loaned out, I think that's the same as DLC. It isn't a yes-no proposition. If a person agrees to loan their console for SC, the stipulation is that they have this agreed upon DJ skin ready.

"I don't like mimic's to be in because it sways matches for luck over skill IF they change style per round (Assuming both player knows everything about their characters) There's always a chance for a 9-1 round then next round it being a 3-7 matchup. Who knows if the mimics change every round or stage/set. I'm all for mimics if they stay with their style for a battle (first to 3 rounds)"

Matchups are overrated. Just because someone gets a new style that might be a bad matchup for your character, doesn't mean they can actually play said style well enough. The concept of matchups is based on the assumption that both players are of equal skill.

If it's such a time sink, I don't think it's so easy as just going in to change it.
No, doing it one time to cheat isn't. Yes, doing it every time to counter cheating is.

Why not just make the Harada custom the default. Make one blue, one red or something. As far as being loaned out, I think that's the same as DLC. It isn't a yes-no proposition. If a person agrees to loan their console for SC, the stipulation is that they have this agreed upon DJ skin ready.
We've discussed this but you're missing the point:
-What if it doesn't have the necessary customs? Waste time making the correct custom or be down a console.
-DLC is either there or it isn't, this can be checked and there won't be any fake DLC to throw anyone off.

You're only approaching this from the "ease-of-creation" standpoint which is the *exact* same way I looked at it until the cheating angle was pointed out. My mind doesn't work that way, so I never considered it. But tournament organizers do have to consider it because there are plenty of people who do function that way.

Great OP. I'm still really excited for this game despite it lacking in a few areas content and character wise. I'm pretty confident an upgraded re-release is sure bet, so I'll just enjoy the good aspects of this one and hope for the best.

One note about the OP, I don't know if I'd classify Dampierre as a "bonus" character. He may be DLC, but I'm pretty sure with this appearance in the game he'll be considered a canon character.

soakrates

Look, it really does kinda suck for people who want to play Devil Jin, but this is the way it has to be right now. If and when Project Soul create and release a Devil Jin character that doesn't need to be made in CAS mode and then checked for the tournament requirements, he will instantly be available for tournament play. It really is that simple. I encourage everybody to follow IdleMind's advice and let Daishi know that you want a pre-made, instantly selectable Devil Jin character. He knows what he's talking about.

Look, it really does kinda suck for people who want to play Devil Jin, but this is the way it has to be right now. If and when Project Soul create and release a Devil Jin character that doesn't need to be made in CAS mode and then checked for the tournament requirements, he will instantly be available for tournament play. It really is that simple. I encourage everybody to follow IdleMind's advice and let Daishi know that you want a pre-made, instantly selectable Devil Jin character. He knows what he's talking about.

Sums up my sentiments, especially after reading the 8wr thread.

Top Bottom