• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Issue 208 Scores (NSMB Wii, Ratchet, Forza, GTA, Tekken...)

R0nn

And many people still don't seem to understand that if you get a EDGE 7 it means your game is considered good, instead of mediocre or subpar like many are lead to believe due to scoring system from other outlets.

In that light, I can fully understand NSMBW getting a 7 for example. Like their review says, it's a very good platform game from a pure technical point of view, but according to EDGE it lacks the charm and soul of a typical Mario-game to lift it to an 8, which would've made it a really good game.

Tekken probably got a 7 because it's still a very good, solid fighting game, but is too similar to it's predecessors to lift it any higher. The same probably goes for Ratchet & Clank as well, which was basically echoed in Eurogamer's review.

Only score I really don't agree with is Kingdom Hearts. Should've been an EDGE 6 or even 7 if you ask me. It starts out very slow and it takes a long time to pick up the slack, but when it does, it gets consideribly better as you go along.

R0nn

radioheadrule83 said:
The review scores are never important from Edge. What really matters is the text

Why is there no NSMB Wii text yet?

It was on the previous page (unless it's fake)

Edge said:
Though his plumbing skills are rarely tested, Mario has often shown himself to be an expert architect. The games in both 2D and 3D are exemplars of pinpoint platforming, worlds constructed to lock perfectly with the parabola of each jump, the traction and momentum of Italian shoes. But there's something else, too - a rare joie de vivre - found in Mario's effusive yelps, in the irrepressible jollity of the world and, most of all, in the constant, enthusiastic invention. To put it more colloquially, Mario at his best has magic. And it's missing from NSMB Wii.

yurinka

DangerousDave said:
The problem is not the 9. 9, in Edge, is a very good score.

But is you look the games that scored 9 and the games that scored 10, in Edge, in similar generes, is pretty obvious that Uncharted 2 should be in the second group.

But is normal that Edge gets more restrictive, with 10, because in the last 2 years they gave more 10 than in the past 10 years.

About LBP, I had no doubt that it was going to receive a 10.
I think both Uncharted 2 and LBP deserve a really high score. Comparing their scores, I understand LBP had a bit more because it innovated in the genre adding a lot of awesome thinks(not only to the genre), like the in-game level editor, on-line 4P competitive / co-op, shareable levels, highly customizable avatars, community voting and tagging the levels, etc.

And even in Uncharted 2 every aspect has an awesome level, it doesn't innovate at that level.

But hey, it's Edge. LBP is English and U2 no. If U2 was from UK and LBP no, U2 would got a 10 and LBP a 9.

Thanks, I just saw that in the NSMB thread... I'd kinda like text with specific references to whats good or bad, rather than a statement about some intangible concept like Mario magic...

R0nn

yurinka said:
But hey, it's Edge. LBP is English and U2 no. If U2 was from UK and LBP no, U2 would got a 10 and LBP a 9.

Enough of that. It had been said before, but just to reiterate: none of the other games that ever got a 10 in EDGE were made in the UK. It's a silly argument to make.

senahorse

:lol at the people upset with U2's score. 9 is a fucking great score, and it is what it is, a number attributed to one person's opinion of the game. Seriously, you people scare me.

Edge gave it a 7/10.

+Level design is great. Stands shoulder-to-shoulder with SMW, SMB, and SMB 3.
+Multiplayer makes it even better. It's a classic experience that won't grow old soon.
+Koopa Kids
-Music kinda sucks.
-Graphics and art style could have been a lot better.
-No online.
-No Mii support.
-Not a lot of voice acting.
-No Motion plus support.
-Characters aren't unique from each other, other than how they appear.
-Story is really basic and not very good.

Holy shit if this is true :lol

Talk about bullshit excuses, but hey this is EDGE! If you've read their Wii Sports Resort review, then you can tell that these guys have an axe to grind (That plus their general pro western, +1 if British made, anti-Japanese games stance)

This review isn't worth the paper it's written on, if this is the criteria used to drop the score (Bad story and no motionplus support, really?! :lol)

Edit: Oh its Anihawk (My point still stands on their bias though)

Nuclear Muffin said:
Holy shit if this is true :lol

Talk about bullshit excuses, but hey this is EDGE! If you've read their Wii Sports Resort review, then you can tell that these guys have an axe to grind (That plus their general pro western, +1 if British made, anti-Japanese games stance)

This review isn't worth the paper it's written on, if this is the criteria used to drop the score (Bad story and no motionplus support, really?! :lol)

Another poster Anihawk'd

Yoboman

R0nn said:
Enough of that. It had been said before, but just to reiterate: none of the other games that ever got a 10 in EDGE were made in the UK. It's a silly argument to make.
GTA4 was made in the UK

R0nn said:

LBP and GTA4 were both made in the UK and both got 10s. Actually, have any Japanese games ever gotten a 10 since Ocarina of Time?

BTW aside from Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP, SSBB and Metroid Prime 3, (Which the magazine couldn't realistically rate poorly and still maintain credibility, as all these games came out before the legendary crap E3 2008 conference) has any other Nintendo made game gotten above an 8 in EDGE this generation? (No, Bowser's Inside Story doesn't count since it was made by Alphadream)

Nuclear Muffin said:
BTW aside from Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP, SSBB and Metroid Prime 3, (Which the magazine couldn't realistically rate poorly and still maintain credibility...
Listen to yourself. We don't do this shit around here.

Go somewhere else and post your mindless drivel.

m.i.s.

Banned
Surprised no ones yet picked apart the nebulous "magic" statement from the Edge review summary of NSMB Wii.

Are there any surprises in this game from a conceptual / design aspect?

ie -

Super Mario Bros introduces the game complete with mushrooms and fireflower powerups, underground cavern levels, water levels, castle levels, hidden levels, pipes containing a hidden cavern/room, warp pipes, beanstalks containing hidden levels, question blocks.

Super Mario Bros 3 introduces a level map, ship levels and Koopa Kids as well as all the elements introduced in SMB above. And, of-course, the infamous character enhancing suits.

Super Mario World contains all the above as well as as introducing a world map, fortresses, haunted houses with boos, multiple exit points, a hidden star world which connects all the other levels/lands together, the feather cape and, of-course, Yoshi. Also the first mario game played left to right (and vice versa) as well as up and down which alters the game considerably (whereas, previously, it was played chiefly by moving from left to right).

Yoshi's Island shakes things up considerably with a beautiful art style, transformation blocks which transform Yoshi into motorised vehicles affording the designer more creativity in the design of levels as well as the creativity offered by the possibilty of the FX chip.

Does NSMB Wii just lack the element of surprise seen in previous Mario efforts?

Personally, I think the Mushroom Kingdom has been done to death and is unworthy of the heritage of Nintendo's Mario platform game design team. I'd like to see a Mario / Jumpman game that goes back to his roots: perhaps in the conceptual uban cityscape of Brooklyn (such as the mythical construction site of Donkey Kong with girders, lifts, pulleys, moving platforms etc) or even side games such as those we saw in Super Mario Land or Wario Land on the Gameboy.

peakish

Nuclear Muffin said:
LBP and GTA4 were both made in the UK and both got 10s. Actually, have any Japanese games ever gotten a 10 since Ocarina of Time
Super Mario Galaxy got a 10 didn't it?

Dr.Hadji

Nuclear Muffin said:
BTW aside from Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP, SSBB and Metroid Prime 3, (Which the magazine couldn't realistically rate poorly and still maintain credibility, as all these games came out before the legendary crap E3 2008 conference) has any other Nintendo made game gotten above an 8 in EDGE this generation? (No, Bowser's Inside Story doesn't count since it was made by Alphadream)

Off the top of my head, Phantom Hourglass got a 9.

M.I.S. said:
Surprised no ones yet picked apart the nebulous "magic" statement from the Edge review summary of NSMB Wii.

Are there any surprises in this game from a conceptual / design aspect?

Oh I don't know, maybe the 4 player dynamic. No that can't be it...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
M.I.S. said:
Super Mario World... Also the first mario game played left to right (and vice versa) as well as up and down which alters the game considerably (whereas, previously, it was played chiefly by moving from left to right).

Chiefly, sure, but the Tower interconnecting the two halves of World 5 in SMB3 as well as the vertical World 7 levels in SMB3 were definitely as significant as the vertical level components in SMW IMO.

SMB2US (Doki Doki Panic) also had very extensive vertical components as well as Right->Left segments, and while it's not originally a Mario game it certainly had been incorporated into the mix by the time SMW was being hashed out.

Nuclear Muffin said:
(No, Bowser's Inside Story doesn't count since it was made by Alphadream)

Setting aside the fact that your initial proposition is irrelevant--how many Nintendo games deserve a 9 outside those that received them, really?--why wouldn't that "count"? The distinction between a first-party developer inside Nintendo's central corporate structure, a first-party developer just outside Nintendo's central corporate structure (IE Retro), and a "second-party" is meaningless in terms of how critics receive a game.

Beyond that, here's a current-generation list of Edge scores of Nintendo published games, with a few of my own opinions:
SUPER MARIO 64 DS 8
DAIGASSO! BAND BROTHERS 8
WarioWare Touched 8 <-- too generous, I'd give an EDGE 5 or 6
Yoshi's Touch and Go 8 <-- too generous, 6-7
Electroplankton 8 <-- too generous, 6-7
Kirby Canvas Curse 7
Nintendogs 7
Trace Memory 7
Advance Wars Dual Strike 8 <-- too generous, 7
Ouendan 8
Mario Kart DS 8
Animal Crossing WW 8
Mario & Luigi Partners in Time 7
Super Princess Peach 6 <-- too harsh, 7-8
Brain Age 8
Tetris DS 7 <-- too harsh
Metroid Prime Hunters 8 <-- too generous, 6
NSMB DS 8
Magnetica 6
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 7
Starfox Command 7
Zelda: Twilight Princess 9 <-- too generous, 7-8
Wii Sports 7 <-- too harsh
Elite Beat Agents 7 <-- too harsh, 8
Yoshi's Island DS 6 <-- too harsh, 7-8
Excite Truck 6
WarioWare Smooth Moves 8 <-- too generous, 6-7
Kirby Squeak Squad 7 <-- too generous, 5
Hotel Dusk 6
Wario: Master of Disguise 4
Diddy Kong Racing DS 5
Mario vs Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis 7
Mario Strikers: Charged 6
Super Paper Mario 7
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 8 <-- too generous, 6-7
Planet Puzzle League 8
Picross DS 8
Mario Party 8 4
Brain Age 2 7
Ouendan 2 8
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass 9
Metroid Prime 3 7
Tingle DS 6
Mario Galaxy 10
Battalion Wars 2 5
Endless Ocean 7
Advance Wars Days of Ruin 8 <-- too generous, 7
Layton 7 <-- too harsh
Smash Bros Brawl 9 <-- too generous, 8
Mario Kart Wii 6
Band Bros DX 8
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness 3 <-- too harsh, 5-6
Super Mario Sluggers 6 <-- too generous, 4-5
Wario Land Shake It 6 <-- too harsh, 7-8
Rhythm Heaven 7
Fatal Frame 4 8
Captain Rainbow 7
Animal Crossing Wii 7 <-- too generous, 5-6
Fire Emblem DS 7
Punch-Out Wii 8
Excitebots 4 <-- too harsh, 6-7
Another Code R 4
Bonsai Barber 7 <-- too harsh, 8-9

*shrugs*

Kozak

Banned
Wow you guys..

Its NSMB but now on Wii!

Can't blame them if they thought that the same game they played a decade ago and a few years ago isn't as exciting as it was back then even if it has 4 players now.

eso76

Stumpokapow said:
But it's not out, so you haven't played it...

well, my post was a joke in case that wasn't clear.

To be honest, though, those are more or less my real opinions on Uncharted 2, Borderlands, Brutal Legends and Forza 3, i just made up those for ratchet and clank and episodes from liberty city which i haven't played, or rather, i based them on their prequels.

I can't stand Gamepro magazine. They keep giving games that maybe happen to have been made in the US high scores if they're good. I AM GOING TO CRY MY EYES OUT ABOUT IT, IN PUBLIC, BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO.

Dabanton

Wasn't R* games founded in New York? shall we just say it's an 'international' game?

Anyway another Edge thread made up of the usual conspiracy cranks,and moaners bitching over good scores for me anything over an 8 in Edge means it's excellent a 9 is a must play and a 10 means that the game has pushed gaming forward in it's own small way or come with a vision that places it above others in their genre.

Nuclear Muffin said:
LBP and GTA4 were both made in the UK and both got 10s. Actually, have any Japanese games ever gotten a 10 since Ocarina of Time?

BTW aside from Mario Galaxy, Zelda TP, SSBB and Metroid Prime 3, (Which the magazine couldn't realistically rate poorly and still maintain credibility, as all these games came out before the legendary crap E3 2008 conference) has any other Nintendo made game gotten above an 8 in EDGE this generation?
Has any other Nintendo made game deserved more than an 8 this generation?

Dabanton said:
Wasn't R* games founded in New York? shall we just say it's an 'international' game?
The writers and executive producers are English, the game was made in Scotland. It's the UK's flagship videogame export. Doesn't matter where the money comes from.

daebo

Some of you people are just insane... It's like you work for the companies for the games that score low? How is it that you let one persons opinion effect you so badly? Geez, I foresee a lot of heart attacks in your futures :lol

I can see debating and questioning but they down right ferocity and out right accusations and conspiracies is hilarious.

Dabanton said:

Anyway another Edge thread made up of the usual conspiracy cranks,and moaners bitching over good scores for me anything over an 8 in Edge means it's excellent a 9 is a must play and a 10 means that the game has pushed gaming forward in it's own small way or come with a vision that places it above others in their genre.

DMA Design (Later renamed to Rockstar North) have always been based in Edinburgh. GTA is a British developed series. Even the handheld games are British Developed, despite being done by a different team (Angel Studios, later renamed to Rockstar Leeds. BTW, this is the same dev team who made Resident Evil 2 for the N64!)

Nuclear Muffin said:
DMA Design (Later renamed to Rockstar North) have always been based in Edinburgh. GTA is a British developed series. Even the handheld games are British Developed, despite being done by a different team (Angel Studios, later renamed to Rockstar Leeds. BTW, this is the same dev team who made Resident Evil 2 for the N64!)

No, That's Rockstar San Diego, they were still Angel Studios when they started Red Dead Revolver.

Graphics Horse said:
No, That's Rockstar San Diego, they were still Angel Studios when they started Red Dead Revolver.

Oh really, I always thought that AS became Rockstar Leeds. Edit: Ahh it's Mobius Entertainment who became RS Leeds, sorry I got the two mixed up. Still means that the Handheld GTA games are British made so my sentance was half right at least :lol

R0nn

evilromero said:
Man, I'm rethinking my NSMB Wii purchase. I'm just not keen on spending $50 for a 7 game.

Well, it's a 7 from EDGE which would amount to a regular 8 if you were to scale it toward most other review scales.

KnuckaWut

lol im rethinking a purchase because of a review ? you guys give these reviewers too much power. some douchebag didnt like a game that much so now you don't want it. :lol FUCK REVIEWS ! GAMESPOT THOUGHT SHENMUE WAS A 6.5 AND THAT WAS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES EVER!

Evlar

Banned
Dabookerman said:
No it wasn't. It was made in New York. That's why the game looks like New York.
I like this logic. It lets me convince myself Blizzard is developing games from the burnt-out shell of the Tristram tavern.

radioheadrule83 said:
Thanks, I just saw that in the NSMB thread... I'd kinda like text with specific references to whats good or bad, rather than a statement about some intangible concept like Mario magic...

My take on their writing:

A normal mario game is designed for 1 player and is perfectly attuned to mario's abilities. Even when new ideas enter the series, that 'perfect' balance remains (galaxy for instance). The lack of magic in NSMB Wii comes from a certain lack of that pitch perfect attunment and the 4-player coop to (apparently) correct for that flawed design.
And while four player antics are very fun and all, they become slightly bothersome when difficult platforming appears. At such sections the surviving players may simply opt to not pop the balloons carrying other players, while they complete such sections.

So, in that sense, the addition of four player coop does not come with an equal rebalancing of the level design and therefore, the 'mario magic' is missing from the game.

Top Bottom