• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Issue 208 Scores (NSMB Wii, Ratchet, Forza, GTA, Tekken...)

Safe Bet

Banned
Firestorm said:
It's saying that it tells a damn good story even though people seem to want to have a first person experience where they are completely immersed. Fuck. Take a reading comprehension class.
How in the fuck do you, or he, draw that conclusion?

Firestorm said:
He's saying it's good in a way different from why Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty 4 are good.
I read it as the game is good despite the fact it doesn't follow the 'Half-Life Model' and imo that's not valid criticism.

Firestorm said:
reviews are supposed to be subjective.
Reviewers are not 'forum dwellers'. They are professionals and therefore held to a higher standard. They should not and cannot hide behind 'everything is opinion' rhetoric.

Firestorm said:
he can give his opinion and back it up, there's no reason to complain.
I'm giving an opinion and backing it up.

No reason to complain.

/irony

Oyashiro

Jamie xxoo said:
The 7/10 for NSMB(Wii) reduced my hype for the game a lot, but then I remembered they gave Super Smash Bros: Melee 6/10 years ago, so Edge definitely gives out rubbish scores sometimes. Has nobody bought the magazine yet to tell us what the game was marked down for?
Holy shit, really?

Yagharek

Pretty sure NSMB was already "reviewed" when they previewed it in the infamous E3 troll issue this year. The tone of it then pretty much showed they have a few writers on board with axes to grind, and the flavour of the month at E3 was Natal above all else.

I'm not surprised, but Ive stopped reading edge since.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Why do people keep fretting about the state of the Japanese game industry? Only weeaboo otaku losers or James Mielke care about that crap.

Ouch at the Tekken 6 score. What's the complaints about that one?

Forza 3 did as well as I expected it to.

Safe Bet said:
Reviewers are not 'forum dwellers'. They are professionals and therefore held to a higher standard. They should not and cannot hide behind 'everything is opinion' rhetoric.
And that standard, as it applies to any other review of an artistic medium and writing in general, is to be able to make a compelling thesis and argument on the merit of the work, backed up by an in-depth analysis of the primary source and, if necessary, consultation with secondary sources (in this case, similar or contemporary games) with the ultimate goal of convincing the reader of your finders and hopefully contributing new views on a subject to the discussion (but of course, let's be fair, games criticism is still mostly an industry based on the "gamers first, writers second" mentality, so that rarely if ever happens). And - it just so happens - that's exactly what he did.

Whether or not you think his arguments are valid is your call alone (and for the record, I'm with you that the comparison to first-person shooters is ridiculous); that doesn't change the fact, however, that reviews, like any other essay or scholarly work, are glorified opinion pieces written from a position of expertise.

Oyashiro said:
Holy shit, really?

Yep. And then Brawl got a 9. So they're really consistent about these things.

(The sarcasm there was obvious right? Just checking. And I don't believe in spoiler tags so don't bother telling me I'm doing it wrong. I know already.)

Majora said:
Front Cover:

E208.jpg
Cutting edge poignant cover right there.

Yagharek

I AM JOHN! said:
Explain. Or do you just mean that in the trollish "LOL GAMES JOURNALISM!!!" way?

I mean it genuinely. I fail to see how someone can be 'professional' and yet regularly let slip complaints that show they are just as biased as the next person. Edge 206 is a classic example, if you look through their E3 propaganda rundown which was highly unbalanced. An expert should be looking past their own bias, which is clearly not the case.

If you want to see expert opinion without the axe-grinding, look at Retro Gamer magazine. They are passionate, enthusiastic and knowledgeable. A stark contrast to Edge which has let in a lot of Eurogamer-style agenda pushing over the past 2-3 years.

Safe Bet

Banned
I AM JOHN! said:
..written from a position of expertise.
..means adhering to a set of commonly agreed upon standards and practices.

"Mario sucks 'cuz it aint got no guns!!"* is NOT an acceptable standard of professional criticism.

Drinky Crow said:
halo 3's score was largely for its multiplayer, which is the way the majority of purchasers play it -- and still do!
Was peer to peer play and forced matchmaking mentioned in the review?

*hyperbole for dramatic effect

Firestorm

Safe Bet said:
How in the fuck do you, or he, draw that conclusion?

I read it as the game is good despite the fact it doesn't follow the 'Half-Life Model' and imo that's not valid criticism.
I worded mine wrong. I don't mean people in general, I mean some people. The same ones he's referring to in the line just before he talks about the first person perspective:

"... it’s one relayed in a manner that may not win it fans among those attempting to reinvent the way games are played."

He is talking about people who want all stories in games to be like Half-Life, Portal, Bioshock, Metroid Prime, etc where you are in full control of your character at all times. Or like Fable, Fallout 3, etc where your actions "change" the story. He is saying that unlike those games, Uncharted 2 tells a great story while following the more traditional gameplay-cutscene-gameplay model.

I'm giving an opinion and backing it up.

No reason to complain.

/irony
When did I say "everything is an opinion". Not everything is an opinion. A review, however, is an opinion.

No, you are not giving an opinion. You are misinterpreting his text as negative when it is isn't.

I like how when it comes to movies 95% of reviewers can like a movie while 5% don't and that's alright but in video games opinions have to be 100% homogeneous.

kitzkozan

tekken 6 is shaping up to be the worst rated Tekken since 4,but I am really wondering why?

What is it about the game that seem to be ticking off reviewers? I am sure the game will end up around 85-88,but I expected far more given the wait and extra amount of time to polish the game.

kitzkozan said:
tekken 6 is shaping up to be the worst rated Tekken since 4,but I am really wondering why?

What is it about the game that seem to be ticking off reviewers? I am sure the game will end up around 85-88,but I expected far more given the wait and extra amount of time to polish the game.

There's really not much new about it. It's just Tekken but extremely polished. Many fighter fans love it though and put it up against VF in terms of balance. So the series has come a long way.

Ahh EDGE, you come for the interesting rea...nah you come and stay for the scoring bickering.

Those articles they write are interesting though

Yagharek

The older articles were better. Biffovision, Redeye, and the old Sega developer whose name I wont attempt to spell incorrectly who always wrote about alcohol.

Edge used to be harsh but well reasoned. A 10 or even anything >7 meant something. Nowadays there are way too many games getting high scores, yet others getting baffling low scores. And the text never reads like a review, its either glowing sycophancy (if thats a word) or the tone contradicts the score.

The old 10s had more weight to them. Mario 64. Gran Turismo. Halo. Ocarina.

Halo 3 and GTA4? Not so much.

Majora said:
Operation Flashpoint : Dragon Rising - 8
I can't see how Dragon Rising can score that high. You can't look past AI issues that severe when it's that important. Granted I've only played it for about two hours, but during those two hours I think I've seen more than enough already. And definitely more than I can tolerate.

Safe Bet

Banned
Firestorm said:
"... it’s one relayed in a manner that may not win it fans among those attempting to reinvent the way games are played."

He is talking about people who want all stories in games to be like Half-Life, Portal, Bioshock, Metroid Prime, etc..
Then he's writing his review for them, not for me, nor the vast majority of gamers.

Firestorm said:
I like how when it comes to movies 95% of reviewers can like a movie while 5% don't and that's alright but in video games opinions have to be 100% homogeneous.
I'm not disagreeing with anything negative said in the review.

I'm disagreeing with it's manner.

Jeff-DSA

VibratingDonkey said:
I can't see how Dragon Rising can score that high. You can't look past AI issues that severe when it's that important. Granted I've only played it for about two hours, but during those two hours I think I've seen more than enough already. And definitely more than I can tolerate.

And I've put maybe 5-6 hours into Borderlands and unless it starts taking cheap shots at my crotch to cause massive pain, I don't understand how someone could objectively or subjectively give it a 6.

idlewild_

Firestorm said:

If, for example, those 5% of movie reviewers criticized The Dark Knight because they wanted it to have a first-persion shaky cam, then yes, people would criticize the reviewers. It's great to have differing opinions in reviews as long as the criticisms leveled make sense. (just nitpicking a few of the crits)

Yagharek

You need to remember this is the same mag that gave a cover feature to that fake game wardevil, claiming it will be 60fps and 1080p. And that was just last month.

Yagharek

onken said:
So you've played, I take it?

An Appeal to Authority is a fallacy with the following form:

1. Person A is (claimed to be) an authority on subject S.
2. Person A makes claim C about subject S.
3. Therefore, C is true.

hamchan

faridmon said:
It just boggles my mind how Kingdom Heart DS got a 5. Everything about that game screams quality and the production value seems to be through the roof.

i never understand EDGE. never.

Well

-Most of stages and music are recycled from either KH1 or KH2
-The first half of the game is extremely slow and boring.
-Not that much mission variety
-Story is completely inaccessible if you haven't played the past games

I loved the game but I completely understand their score.

obonicus

Firestorm said:

That's not true at all. People will call that 5% (or the 95%) idiots.

My problem with Edge (besides the pedestal people put it on) is that though they're actually somewhat consistent, I think they give too much weight to criteria like 'innovation' and 'story', and not enough to 'polish/mechanics'. It feels a bit like 'new games journalism' in that sometimes it seems like they're reviewing the game while wishing it was something else (or something more than just a game, anyway).

Cipherr

silverbullet1080 said:
LOL @ nsmbWii score

What the dick were they thinking?

Ill bet that I agree with their score once I play it. Its amazing how edge has the ability to rile of the console gamers with GOOD scores.

A 7 is a good score man, they just use the whole scale, and your spoiled to every decent game getting an 8 or 9 from website who forget that 1-5 exists. When a game gets a 7 in edge I consider it worth the buy if Im into that particular genre.

Oh and lol at bringing up Smash melees review scores. The witch hunts people go on to discredit them are amazing.

6 for Borderlands? Really? That makes Edge the odd-man out on that game.

I can't wait for Gay Tony . . . I've been itching for some GTA action again.

Can we have less "OMG Edge gives out scores" and more "OMG Might and Magic got a 9!" Here's a a gameplay video. It looks as much like a really non-traditional SRPG as a puzzle-RPG. It also looks like it has a bit of a Magic the Gathering influence, in that the monsters exist solely to protect/attack the heroes. I think might be picking it up.

Finally, a tempered, and realistic Uncharted 2 Review.

They break my heart with Borderlands and Brutal Legend, though :(

I love EDGE's reviews because I don't agree with them every time.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
SonOfABeep said:
Finally, a tempered, and realistic Uncharted 2 Review.
No. This game deserves a 10 if the reviewer gave other 10s in the last 10 years. Because Uncharted 2 is the game of the fucking decade.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
marc^o^ said:
No. This game deserves a 10 if the reviewer gave other 10s in the last 10 years. Because Uncharted 2 is the game of the fucking decade.
fart

See. I kind of like Edge. I agree 10's get thrown around way too much.

But here's my problem. When you've only given out a handful of 10's and they include Halo 3, OOT, SM64, and Half Life 2 there's a problem.

Secondly, I think 9 is fair for U2, but docking it because its main character isn't a silent, boring fuck is stupid. I don't look at CoD for great stories and HL2 is the FFVII of PC games. Get over it. The game, especially the story, is not that good.

thaOwner

marc^o^ said:
Do not tempt me.

http://i36.tinypic.com/mk8z[/QUOTE]
wtf happened to his right hand ? GOTG right here.

Seriously though, the game's avg on metacritic is a 97, what more do you people want ?

Sloane

Banned
Yeah, it's an Edge thread, alright.

A Letter to Edge said:
Look, we're not saying that we're right
We're just saying that you're wrong
With your quote-unquote review of NSMB 2
Edge, you're desperate for attention
Yet barely worth a mention
Except to take contention with your desperate grab for hits

You gave NSMB 2 a seven
I wanted an eleven on our site
Our scale doesn't go that high but I had to try

And who are you to say NSMB 2 is a good game?
Because it's not
It's a perfect video game

Crewnh said:
Halo 3 got a 10 at Edge? Seriously? That's surprising.
not really

that borderlands review does irk me though. Ive put alot of hours into the game already and i could easily pick it as one of my favorite games of the year. Wonder why they didnt like it.

Top Bottom