• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Issue 208 Scores (NSMB Wii, Ratchet, Forza, GTA, Tekken...)

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Dark FaZe said:
I don't usually care about the Edge but the Borderlands score is wrong imo.

MAN HAS OPINION ABOUT MAN'S OPINION. NEWS AT 11.

I fucking hate these threads. Stop doing them.

You don't have to enter them. People are going to agree or disagree with review scores...it's just the way shit is. What are you going to do enter the thread and say nice opinion and move on?

I don't really give a shit but hey...thought I'd throw my two cents in there about a great game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ShockingAlberto said:
GAF never knows what it wants from reviews.

If reviews are what the individual reviewer thinks, GAF goes crazy. How dare that person think they speak for many? I don't care what their thoughts and preferences are, this game is objectively amazing, and should get that score.

If reviews try to explain what kind of consumers would like a game and what kind wouldn't, GAF goes crazy. That's not fair! How can you act like sandbox gamers wouldn't like this, those people are stupid!

Well, wait. There is one scenario where they're satisfied. When the game they likes gets a good score, regardless of why.

This gets especially bad in the fourth quarter, because the games that come out then are "GOTY: Fact". So those games are above criticism by anyone.

Wow, GAF is a forum made up of different people with different opinions. Thats so surprising.

Dennis

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
I don't usually care about the Edge but the Borderlands score is wrong imo. It's a game that almost flawlessly merges the roleplaying and shooter genres and has some of the most satisfying gunplay of ANY shooter this gen
so long as you stay in your level range :lol

So for a game that is so innovative, looks great, is incredibly polished, has great length, incredible amount of content...I mean it's w/e but that's a poor score imo.
Borderlands is not an RPG at all.

It may have XP and loot but it is no RPG. Repetitive shooter with upgrades is what it is.

But hey, a good game for loot whores I guess...Edge got the score just right.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Safe Bet said:
*sigh*

I'm really getting sick of the "games are VR!!!" crowd.

Edit:

Seriously though...

That quote shows just how bad the current class of critics are.

Yeah, as if my character never uttering a word is so much more realistic. Both choices have their advantages and disadvantages.

The-Warning said:
The real reason I read reviews, to be honest? When I love a game, I enjoy reading a gushing reviewer who agrees with me, when I hate a game I love when it gets torn apart. I generally don't read reviews to influence my decision to buy a game unless it's some obscure game that's harder to get info on.

Previews and forum impressions and maybe the metacritic score are good enough for me, and I pretty much know what game I'm going to enjoy or not for the most part anyway.

When I love a game and a reviewer starts to nitpick or gives a review less than what I thought it was worth, I cringe. I get annoyed and think the guy is an idiot. I can't help it.
Wow, this really is honest. But, this is EXACTLY the kind of crap that is absolutely WRONG with forum dwellers. Although, I still respect that you're honest about your cringe-worthy fanboyism.

Safe Bet said:
*sigh*

I'm really getting sick of the "games are VR!!!" crowd.

Edit:
Seriously though...
That quote shows just how bad the current class of critics are.
Oh lawd, did you read the bloody review?!

"Conversely, Uncharted 2’s returning protagonist, Nathan Drake, tosses out a quip as readily as he draws a breath (even, repeatedly, when faced with a character who quite clearly understands not a single word coming out of our hero’s mouth). Despite never being short of a comeback, however, he remains likeable throughout the game’s duration," - EDGE

He points out the difference between the average popular game that has a silent protagonist and Nathan Drake and uses that to point out a POSITIVE about the game.

Posts like your show just how ignorant and annoying the typical fanboy warriors are.

DennisK4 said:

It may have XP and loot but it is no RPG. Repetitive shooter with upgrades is what it is.

Dude, if we are talking about opinions nobody obviously gives a shit about yours I guess.

Because mediocre score or not from Edge :lol I predict the game is going to sell a shit ton enough to warrant wanted and desired DLC and a sequal that will also be enjoyed by a couple of million over multiple platforms.

These threads are stupid because this 6 from Edge will deter... hmmm... not as many people as you would think from buying the game at full price; but tell everyone anyway exactly what you wanted Borderlands to be.

I can guaran-fucking-tee you it is a First Person,Loot Based, Projectile Weapons Skewed Shooter with RPG character skill and attribute growth elements. It is pretty hard to fit into a ring box.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Rash said:
These scores are definitely reasonable.

Though, GTA scoring a 9 and NSBM Wii scoring a 7 hurts.

Yeah completely with you on that, the new GTA should have scored a 10 & NSBM wii should have gotten a 6.

DennisK4 said:

Fair enough. I could go back and forth with you on what defines a roleplaying game but that would require another thread. I also find someone with an ME avatar accusing borderlands of being a repetitive shooter to be just a bit funny.

MMaRsu

Banned
:lol at all the butthurt people in this thread.. I mean come on a 7 isn't a bad score by Edge standards. Shit it doesn't necessarily mean a bad score by any standard.

People shouldn't attach themselves to scores anyway.. read the review if you really care instead of raging over meaningless numbers.

Safe Bet

Banned
Vast Inspiration said:
Posts like your show just how ignorant and annoying the typical fanboy warriors are.
I admit I stopped reading in utter disgust because I'm sick and fucking tired of people telling me I should want all my games to play like Half-Life when I fucking don't...

Dennis

Banned
Dark FaZe said:
Fair enough. I could go back and forth with you on what defines a roleplaying game but that would require another thread. I also find someone with an ME avatar accusing borderlands of being a repetitive shooter to be just a bit funny.
Borderlands have no story to speak of, it just kind of is there. How are you playing a role then?. Mass Effect was story driven.

Firestorm

Safe Bet said:
Fixed that for ya...

And please stop with the 'its just an opinion' shit.

Its fucking childish.
Waiiitttt a minute. I'm going to ignore the obvious irony here and ask, if reviews aren't opinions, what are they?

Firestorm

Safe Bet said:
I admit I stopped reading in utter disgust because I'm sick and fucking tired of people telling me I should want all my games to play like Half-Life when I fucking don't...
It's obvious you stopped reading considering they never said that.

It is a happy coincidence that, at a time when storytelling in games is being scrutinised as never before, along comes an example to demonstrate the sheer table-thumping power of a rollicking good yarn, even if it’s one relayed in a manner that may not win it fans among those attempting to reinvent the way games are played. Uncharted 2 propels you through a procession of intricately staged episodes of drama peopled with characters that sizzle with zip and pith, and, in showing you how your reckless treasure-hunting ways adversely affect the lives of others, even asks you to question your morality. At no point, though, are you given the option to change those ways. This is no Infamous. It’s obviously not a firstperson action game, either, which leaves the player feeling much less like he is the hero than is the case in contemporary action classics such as Half-Life 2 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare, in which the characters you inhabit never utter a word. Conversely, Uncharted 2’s returning protagonist, Nathan Drake, tosses out a quip as readily as he draws a breath (even, repeatedly, when faced with a character who quite clearly understands not a single word coming out of our hero’s mouth). Despite never being short of a comeback, however, he remains likeable throughout the game’s duration, whether holding his resolve against what seem to be overwhelming odds, carefully picking his way through elaborate locations that belong to other civilisations, or even playing his part in a surprisingly tense love triangle.
It's saying that it tells a damn good story even though people seem to want to have a first person experience where they are completely immersed. Fuck. Take a reading comprehension class.

Vast Inspiration said:
Wow, this really is honest. But, this is EXACTLY the kind of crap that is absolutely WRONG with forum dwellers. Although, I still respect that you're honest about your cringe-worthy fanboyism.

Nope. I can't read minds but I bet many other normal, properly functioning people do the same thing. It's just human nature. You mean to tell me you've never seen a movie that you loved, read a critical review and got annoyed at the reviewer? Come on. You don't get enjoyment from reading reviews that nail what you also like about something?

I just enjoy reading what like minded people have to say about something I like. That doesn't mean I'm blind to flaws that are pointed out, and agree with them even. I was just explaining that I generally don't read reviews to help me make a buying decision, mainly more for entertainment purposes.

Safe Bet

Banned
Firestorm said:
It's obvious you stopped reading considering they never said that.

It's saying that it tells a damn good story even though people seem to want to have a first person experience where they are completely immersed. Fuck. Take a reading comprehension class.
He's stating the game is good DESPITE not playing like Half-Life.

The character is likable DESPITE the fact he talks.

Etc.

I take issue with that.

Firestorm said:
Waiiitttt a minute. I'm going to ignore the obvious irony here and ask, if reviews aren't opinions, what are they?
If we don't try and define agreed upon boundaries, discussion becomes impossibly subjective, personal, and pointless.

Majora

Front Cover:

E208.jpg

zoukka

The-Warning said:
I just enjoy reading what like minded people have to say about something I like. That doesn't mean I'm blind to flaws that are pointed out, and agree with them even. I was just explaining that I generally don't read reviews to help me make a buying decision, mainly more for entertainment purposes.

Well that's just some fucked up shit right there imo.

And I gotta check UC2 out goddamn. And why are people surprised about the NSMB Wii score? Remember a game called NSMB? It really wasn't all that super...

I just D: and smh whenever I see a gaming mag try to review a fighting game.

Hello elitist!

jax (old)

Banned
great looking cover. I'll look for it on the newstand. Gotta say. I didnt' buy the ASS CREED issue... well, because its ass creed.

batbeg

Safe Bet said:
If we don't try and define agreed upon boundaries, discussion becomes impossibly subjective, personal, and pointless.

So you think there's defined parameters of what makes a good and bad game, and that our games journalists aren't fulfilling an arbitrary job but rather pursuing truth and justice for us lowly gamers who can't possibly decide for ourselves?

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
McBacon said:
MAN HAS OPINION ABOUT MAN'S OPINION. NEWS AT 11.

I fucking hate these threads. Stop doing them.
Ok dood but thats like YOUR opinion!

IMO ;)

nli10

Cromulent_Word said:
I love popping open GAF at work, only to find that my studio's game scored a mothafunkin 9 from Edge.

Pardon me while i go give many high-fives

Congrats - why doesn't it have a concrete release date on the UK sites but it does have a review?!

Does sound like an evolution of the PQ style. I'll pick it up.

Firestorm

Safe Bet said:
He's stating the game is good DESPITE not playing like Half-Life.

The character is likable DESPITE the fact he talks.

Etc.

I take issue with that.

He's saying it's good in a way different from why Half-Life 2 and Call of Duty 4 are good.

And reviews are supposed to be subjective. If he can give his opinion and back it up, there's no reason to complain.

zoukka said:
Well that's just some fucked up shit right there imo.

And I gotta check UC2 out goddamn. And why are people surprised about the NSMB Wii score? Remember a game called NSMB? It really wasn't all that super...

It's because various previews have predicted it to be the game the original NSMB should have been.

Just found out there is an interview with myself and Capy creative director Kris in the same issue that our game scored a 9...

official craziest/best Edge issue everrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Lyude77

I'm guessing NSMB is a 7 because they desperately wanted online. I can see that being an automatic point deduction for people who care about it, kinda like the lack of pointer function in FE: Radiant Dawn seemed to be for some people and the lack of multiplayer in MP3 (except the FE complaint was incredibly unjustified since it is much harder to be exact with a pointer compared to a button in tight spaces). If someone remembers the lack of multiplayer in MP3 being a point loss kind of complaint, I think we can almost assume the lack of online as a point loss complaint. But hey, I may be wrong and they may have just not liked the chaos of multiplayer or disliked the presentation or something.

Also, great M&L:BiS score, I'm definitely getting that for Christmas. I LOVE M&L games.

McLovin

Wow I was this close to getting Borderlands and Brutal Legend with that Buy 2 get 1 deal. I might have to reconsider Borderlands.

nli10

Cromulent_Word said:
Just found out there is an interview with myself and Capy creative director Kris in the same issue that our game scored a 9...

official craziest/best Edge issue everrrrrrrrrrr!!!

Games Design: 9 :D

PR & Internal communications: 2 :p

UK release date? Amazon & Play have next year (29th Jan), & GamePlay doesn't have your title listed (Game just has a box shot with TBA). A 9 review and positive buzz 3 months before release seems... odd...

Rktk

For the most part I've found myself in agreement with the scores Edge gives out, not to mention the magazine itself often has some fine articles that put it (in my opinion) as the best gaming publication out there. Very excited to play the Libery City Episodes and will be picking up F3 this weekend.

faridmon

It just boggles my mind how Kingdom Heart DS got a 5. Everything about that game screams quality and the production value seems to be through the roof.

i never understand EDGE. never.

EzLink

Banned
When does this actually hit shelves? Someone needs to snag a copy and post what they say about NSMB, I'm interested

I don't see a problem with the NSMB Wii score. A 7 is still a solid score and no one who has actually played the game has said that it's bad.

The problem is not the 9. 9, in Edge, is a very good score.

But is you look the games that scored 9 and the games that scored 10, in Edge, in similar generes, is pretty obvious that Uncharted 2 should be in the second group.

But is normal that Edge gets more restrictive, with 10, because in the last 2 years they gave more 10 than in the past 10 years.

About LBP, I had no doubt that it was going to receive a 10.

Gravijah

DangerousDave said:
The problem is not the 9. 9, in Edge, is a very good score.

But is you look the games that scored 9 and the games that scored 10, in Edge, in similar generes, is pretty obvious that Uncharted 2 should be in the second group.

But is normal that Edge gets more restrictive, with 10, because in the last 2 years they gave more 10 than in the past 10 years.

About LBP, I had no doubt that it was going to receive a 10.

What maths did you use to get that? Cause I'm checkin' over my work, and I just can't figure it out.

The 7/10 for NSMB(Wii) reduced my hype for the game a lot, but then I remembered they gave Super Smash Bros: Melee 6/10 years ago, so Edge definitely gives out rubbish scores sometimes. Has nobody bought the magazine yet to tell us what the game was marked down for?

I'm so glad that I subscribed to Edge last month, this cover just looks awesome.

@ scores:
Borderlands ouch
NSMB ouch
Uncharted 2 wtf? Thought that's a typical "it's hyped too much so we're giving it a 7" game.
GTA wtf? Well, GTA4 got a 10 so I think that's just fanboyism *lol*

Top Bottom