• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Issue 208 Scores (NSMB Wii, Ratchet, Forza, GTA, Tekken...)

KurowaSan

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=18170056#post18170056
oi6lo9.gif

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
"OMG EDGE GAVE MY BELOVED MARIO A SEVEN! THERE SHOULD BE A LAW AGAINST THAT!"

Seriously, people. You don't even know what the review says. Step away from the computer and calm the fuck down.

tass0

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:

Seriously, people. You don't even know what the review says. Step away from the computer and calm the fuck down.

They gave Mario and Luigi 3 a 9/10 so it's all cool brother.

MechaX

tass0 said:
They gave Mario and Luigi 3 a 9/10 so it's all cool brother.

The praise for Mario and Luigi 3 has been oddly unanimous, and yet I haven't even played it yet. But people in this thread seem to be glossing over its score, oddly enough.

sonicmj1

tass0 said:
Like fuck that means I agree with EDGE's scores.

If H3 is a 10, then how the fuck can UC2 be a 9? How does one of the best games this gen just get a 9, a 9 is not something special today, it's all this motherfucking corruption that is killing this fucking shit, man.

RageGuy.jpg

You should send them a strongly worded letter.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
MechaX said:
The praise for Mario and Luigi 3 has been oddly unanimous, and yet I haven't even played it yet. But people in this thread seem to be glossing over its score, oddly enough.
The Mario and Luigi segments are spotty, but the Bowser portions are pure gold.

Novella

Banned
tass0 said:
I really don't agree with Edge's scores

They gave MGS4 an 8, and Halo 3 a 10/10? Halo 3 is perfection? I really don't see how that happens... MGS4 was one of the best games I have ever played for this console generation (Uncharted 2 took number one...), I liked Halo 3, but no way does it deserve a fucking 10.

*waits for a nerd to say "Oh, it's just their opinion!"*
It's not their opinion. It's one guy (or girl) in the UK who someone believes can write's opinion. I'm not even being tongue-in-cheek with the "who someone believes can write." That's just what it is. A lot of people may give this person's opinion credence because s/he writes for a magazine, but what should ultimately give him/her authority for you is the evaluation of his/her opinions. Which is why you need to read the text and stop sobbing about numbers that exist in a vacuum anyway because there are no bylines.

Another month, another Edge thread turned to fanboy dickwaving with none of the information we all want (choice quotes from reviews).

Gino

I was going to make a comment about people complaining about UC2 getting a 9 out of 10 but getting into an argument with someone about it would be justifying their opinion in some way.

I hope that the 7 for NSMB doesn't mean there's something too wrong with he game. I'm pretty excited to play that with my wife and daughter.

clashfan said:
I don't understand why Uncharted 2 didn't get a 10? What could they have taken 1 point off for?

Here's the complaints:

- it doesn't "reinvent the way games are played."

- "It’s obviously not a firstperson action game, either, which leaves the player feeling much less like he is the hero than is the case in contemporary action classics such as Half-Life 2 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare, in which the characters you inhabit never utter a word." (I'm not sure if this is a criticism)

- "The opening chapters do not see the game at its very best, and one particularly prolonged firefight two-thirds of the way through begins to drag towards its conclusion"

- "Which is not to say that there isn’t repetition. Despite its sophisticated presentation and the attention spent on creating believable relationships between human characters, Uncharted 2 involves a lot of killing"

- "Some of the discussion that follows may focus on the puzzle content, noting that it’s hardly an evolution of the original’s simplistic equivalent."

- "Not everyone will be fond of the game’s concluding location"

- "Sandbox devotees may bemoan the linearity of the entire experience."

Those are just the criticisms, he had a lot of good things to say too.

Firestorm

tass0 said:
I really don't agree with Edge's scores

They gave MGS4 an 8, and Halo 3 a 10/10? Halo 3 is perfection? I really don't see how that happens... MGS4 was one of the best games I have ever played for this console generation (Uncharted 2 took number one...), I liked Halo 3, but no way does it deserve a fucking 10.

*waits for a nerd to say "Oh, it's just their opinion!"*
Read my last post about this. Again:

Firestorm said:
The reason it got a 10 is the same reason Bungie is listed under Special Thanks at the end of Uncharted 2. They did some really awesome things with its community features that a lot of developers have since learned from and emulated.
Edge, Naughty Dog, and Bungie don't play petty fanboy warz like you.

jay

The-Warning said:
Here's the complaints:

- "It’s obviously not a firstperson action game, either, which leaves the player feeling much less like he is the hero than is the case in contemporary action classics such as Half-Life 2 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare, in which the characters you inhabit never utter a word." (I'm not sure if this is a criticism)

- "The opening chapters do not see the game at its very best, and one particularly prolonged firefight two-thirds of the way through begins to drag towards its conclusion"

- "Which is not to say that there isn’t repetition. Despite its sophisticated presentation and the attention spent on creating believable relationships between human characters, Uncharted 2 involves a lot of killing"

- "Some of the discussion that follows may focus on the puzzle content, noting that it’s hardly an evolution of the original’s simplistic equivalent."

So if I'm doing the math right, Uncharted 2 should have been a 3.

I AM JOHN! said:
Another month, another Edge thread turned to fanboy dickwaving with none of the information we all want (choice quotes from reviews).
I'm on it as soon as my issue arrives. I always take balanced quotes unlike some readers and blogs.

Firestorm

jay said:
So if I'm doing the math right, Uncharted 2 should have been a 3.
You mean looking at only the negatives and not all the positives that were surely in what is probably a 1 - 2 page review?

imtehman

Banned
Dr. Strangelove said:
Because it's a PS3 exclusive. DUH.

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

you obviously got it wrong

1/2 pt deducted because of ps3 exclusive

another 1/2 pts because its not UK developer

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Again, for the single-console people crying over the NSMB score... Episodes From Liberty City, which is universally recognized as being better than GTAIV, scored lower than GTAIV.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
The-Warning said:
Here's the complaints:

Great score, not complaining but...

are these really fair?

specially the last one, im tired of gamers and publications painting Linearity as a negative.

~Devil Trigger~ said:

are these really fair?

specially the last one, im tired of gamers and publications painting Linearity as a negative.

To be honest I do think the core gameplay in Uncharted can get a tad repetitive at times, but it's the challenge for developers to find new types of gameplay other than shooting things. If ND keeps the gameplay the same for UC3 we'll probably hear these complaints even more. Although, I do love shooting things from third person and jumping from cover to cover. I can never get enough of that. FPS has it's good points but it's much less dynamic, so it will be interesting to see what reviewers say about MW2 at this point. After all, it's the same old thing, running around, aiming, and shooting.

Novella

Banned
clashfan said:
I don't understand why Uncharted 2 didn't get a 10? What could they have taken 1 point off for?
Some games are so perfect that it detracts from the experience. Hence the 9.

Firestorm

~Devil Trigger~ said:

are these really fair?

What makes you think they reviewed it negatively because of that? It's a true statement about the game and if you are going the consumer reports route of reviewing products, then it's an informative piece of information for a segment of the readerbase.

Firestorm said:
The reason it got a 10 is the same reason Bungie is listed under Special Thanks at the end of Uncharted 2. They did some really awesome things with its community features that a lot of developers have since learned from and emulated.
A shame those great community features didnt make up for my limited enjoyment with everything else Halo 3 had to offer. I felt the same way about LittleBigPlanet too.
Ultimately, no new novelty is going to make up for something with shortcomings in the gameplay department.

MMaRsu

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
See, now, I consider Brutal Legend to be exactly the sort of game that they love to tear apart. Even Edge has a crush on Schafer, it seems.

Lol.. 7 is a good game for Edge.

Bomba my ass.

~Devil Trigger~ said:

are these really fair?

Linearity is a negative sometimes, but I didn't feel that in Uncharted 2. What I did feel was constricted. There are quite a few places where I couldn't climb things that would be much less physically demanding than what the game does allow Drake to climb, and sometimes they were more logical and better situated than the "officially allowed" path. It's really poor design when I just need to go from A to B and there are invisible walls in place to prevent me from doing so in any way other than the scripted one.

Uncharted 2's story was incredibly disconnected from the content of the actual game, too. It made every transition from game to story laughable, and not in a good way. I really didn't enjoy watching Drake, for example, surrender to a couple of men or take the high ground on killing after he just finished slaughtering literally hundreds of men to get to there.

I consider a 9 to be generous. I'd give the game an 8 or so.

~Devil Trigger~

Firestorm said:
What makes you think they reviewed it negatively because of that? It's a true statement about the game and if you are going the consumer reports route of reviewing products, then it's an informative piece of information for a segment of the readerbase.

dude calm down, i read the review did'nt say its negative, i know the guy liked the game

but the crits Warning pointed out, i bolded some i'd disagree with. To me its like going into reviewing RPG and and say "Well, Action game devotees may bemoan the blah blah blah...", its an action adventure/ shooter.

and the others i've bolded, im not even sure if they're crits...

Tiktaalik

Not much to disagree with in the reviews. The only eyebrow raising thing is the NSMB score. I'll definitely try to seek out the review text for that one.

Firestorm

~Devil Trigger~ said:
dude calm down, i read the review did'nt say its negative, i know the guy liked the game

but the crits Warning pointed out, i bolded some i'd disagree with. To me its like going into reviewing RPG and and say "Well, Action game devotees may bemoan the blah blah blah...", its an action adventure/ shooter.

and the others i've bolded, im not even sure if they're crits...
~Devil Trigger~ said:

are these really fair?

?

GAF never knows what it wants from reviews.

If reviews are what the individual reviewer thinks, GAF goes crazy. How dare that person think they speak for many? I don't care what their thoughts and preferences are, this game is objectively amazing, and should get that score.

If reviews try to explain what kind of consumers would like a game and what kind wouldn't, GAF goes crazy. That's not fair! How can you act like sandbox gamers wouldn't like this, those people are stupid!

Well, wait. There is one scenario where they're satisfied. When the game they likes gets a good score, regardless of why.

This gets especially bad in the fourth quarter, because the games that come out then are "GOTY: Fact". So those games are above criticism by anyone.

~Devil Trigger~

Leondexter said:
Linearity is a negative sometimes, but I didn't feel that in Uncharted 2. What I did feel was constricted. There are quite a few places where I couldn't climb things that would be much less physically demanding than what the game does allow Drake to climb, and sometimes they were more logical and better situated than the "officially allowed" path. It's really poor design when I just need to go from A to B and there are invisible walls in place to prevent me from doing so in any way other than the scripted one.

Uncharted 2's story was incredibly disconnected from the content of the actual game, too. It made every transition from game to story laughable, and not in a good way. I really didn't enjoy watching Drake, for example, surrender to a couple of men or take the high ground on killing after he just finished slaughtering literally hundreds of men to get to there.

I consider a 9 to be generous. I'd give the game an 8 or so.

i think he surrendered cuz
of the ladies
, and killing alot of people? c'mon, have anybody watched any action movies the last 4 decades??

Firestorm said:

reviewed it negatively

i dont think the REVIEW is negative, but "linearity" was implied as a negative for "Sandbox devotees"

pelican

MMaRsu said:
Lol.. 7 is a good game for Edge.

Bomba my ass.

Exactly, but some fanboys need to see 9/10 reviews to help justify their love of a product to the world.

I've read Edge since the Issue 0 preview freebie. It is a great mag, and I love it. However I could write a list as long of my arm with reviews I disagree with.

As far as this issue is concerned my copy hasn't arrived (fuck you royal mail strikers) so I can't really judge the scores yet.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dr. Strangelove said:

I think there's more whining in this thread about Uncharted 2 getting a 9 instead of a 10.

vehn

Cromulent_Word said:
I love popping open GAF at work, only to find that my studio's game scored a mothafunkin 9 from Edge.

Pardon me while i go give many high-fives

how does a (small) studio like yourselves release critter crunch 2 weeks ago and then have a DS game coming out in 2 weeks from now? 2 teams probably?

ShockingAlberto said:
GAF never knows what it wants from reviews.

If reviews are what the individual reviewer thinks, GAF goes crazy. How dare that person think they speak for many? I don't care what their thoughts and preferences are, this game is objectively amazing, and should get that score.

If reviews try to explain what kind of consumers would like a game and what kind wouldn't, GAF goes crazy. That's not fair! How can you act like sandbox gamers wouldn't like this, those people are stupid!

Well, wait. There is one scenario where they're satisfied. When the game they likes gets a good score, regardless of why.

This gets especially bad in the fourth quarter, because the games that come out then are "GOTY: Fact". So those games are above criticism by anyone.

The real reason I read reviews, to be honest? When I love a game, I enjoy reading a gushing reviewer who agrees with me, when I hate a game I love when it gets torn apart. I generally don't read reviews to influence my decision to buy a game unless it's some obscure game that's harder to get info on.

Previews and forum impressions and maybe the metacritic score are good enough for me, and I pretty much know what game I'm going to enjoy or not for the most part anyway.

When I love a game and a reviewer starts to nitpick or gives a review less than what I thought it was worth, I cringe. I get annoyed and think the guy is an idiot. I can't help it.

Safe Bet

Banned
cjelly said:

EDGE said:
It’s obviously not a firstperson action game, either, which leaves the player feeling much less like he is the hero than is the case in contemporary action classics such as Half-Life 2 and Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare, in which the characters you inhabit never utter a word.

*sigh*

I'm really getting sick of the "games are VR!!!" crowd.

Edit:

Seriously though...

That quote shows just how bad the current class of critics are.

I don't usually care about the Edge but the Borderlands score is wrong imo. It's a game that almost flawlessly merges the roleplaying and shooter genres and has some of the most satisfying gunplay of ANY shooter this gen
so long as you stay in your level range :lol

So for a game that is so innovative, looks great, is incredibly polished, has great length, incredible amount of content...I mean it's w/e but that's a poor score imo.

Top Bottom