• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Issue 208 Scores (NSMB Wii, Ratchet, Forza, GTA, Tekken...)

Wow at NSMB.

From what I hear L&D is > GTAIV, and Gay Tony > L&D, so I'm kind of surprised that a $40 package with the two expansions would score lower than vanilla GTAIV.

Cromulent_Word said:
I love popping open GAF at work, only to find that my studio's game scored a mothafunkin 9 from Edge.

Pardon me while i go give many high-fives

people talk about edge not being what it was but look at the reaction from a dev and it shows that the magazine is still significant.

m.i.s.

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Going to guess that Edge reckon NSMB Wii is too sterile, safe and joyless - that seems to be their issue with a number of recent Nintendo titles.

They also said Mario Kart Wii was sh!t [not in so few words] but that certainly didn't hamper the game's commercial success.

How much did Edge score NSMB DS?

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Majora said:
Uncharted 2 - 9

n46yvp.gif

M.I.S. said:
They also said Mario Kart Wii was sh!t [not in so few words] but that certainly didn't hamper the game's commercial success.

How much did Edge score NSMB DS?

8, I think.

I though MKWii was aces, and there have been plenty of times I've disagreed with Edge previously, but I'm interested to see what the review says.

Tony Mott | Editor in Chief | Edge (UK)

GR: Does a perfect score mean a perfect game?

Tony: What we used to do a long time ago was assign a word equivalent to each score from 1 to 10, and at that point 10 represented 'revolutionary'. And more recently we realised that having the scores spelled out like that was, in a way, holding us back from using the full scale – by definition we could only give a game 10 if it really was revolutionary, and we wanted to be able to use the whole scale.

If next to 10 on our reviews intro today it said 'perfect', then that's what 10 would mean. We changed all that because we'd get people arguing about whether or not games we had given 10 were actually revolutionary. So we deliberately changed it and said that the numbers on the scale were simply the numbers on the scale, so 1 = ‘one’, and so on. It was a slightly tongue-in-cheek thing to do, and we took some flak for it, but ultimately it helps to simplify the process, and it removes a lot of the unnecessary dialogue that can surround these things.

So now we just say, the scale is 1 to 10 and a 10 is a 10. You should be able to interpret that as you will. The fact that we've only given a small number of games 10 out of 10 speaks for itself. Ultimately I’d hope, as we all do, that when your review of Halo 3 consists of four pages of text, your readers would pay more attention to what the writer has to say about the game rather than the little digit at the end.

GR: Does Edge have a set criteria of what a 10 should be, then?

Tony: This sort of thing is indefinable, I think. You can't use a checklist. If Tetris was invented today, I suppose you'd have to give it 10, but if you take that game apart, you can't say it's in any way a 10 apart from what it is as a whole. You can't break it down beyond that. You can get into an argument where you say 'Well, the graphics are perfect' because they're perfectly functional, they do their job perfectly. But I don't like to think about review scoring as a kind of science.

Above: In its 14 year history only six games have ever received a perfect score from Edge. They are Super Mario 64 (pictured), Gran Turismo, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Halo, Half-Life 2 and Halo 3

GR: Do you think 10s are dished out a bit too liberally?

Tony: It's difficult having a scale of 1 to 10 and so rarely using that upper-most point because it can make you look like you're being snobby or difficult just for the sake of it. Broadly speaking, though, I do think 10s are thrown about a bit too casually. I do see some 10s that strike me as misleading to the consumer. I think when the consumer sees ‘10’ on the page it should make them stop and think about it. It should make them think, 'This isn't just a game that's recommended; I actually must have this game'.

I don't want to get too much into the debate about BioShock, but I was surprised at the amount of 10s it received. The Metacritic rating for that game is insane. I really enjoyed it, but I wouldn't ever feel comfortable giving 10 to BioShock, not because it isn’t revolutionary or anything like that, but because it doesn’t feel like a 10 to me. But now we're getting into the debate that people are having all the time on the internet.

GR: Ultimately, then, 10 can be a flawed masterpiece?

Tony: Well, if you take Halo 3 as an example - absolutely. If you looked at Halo 3 in a scientific way - which is why I say I don't like to think about it as a science - if you broke it down and said 'Is the story brilliant? Is the story flawless?' Absolutely not. The story is actually not especially good. But, if you look at it as a whole...

Obviously we reviewed Halo 3 some time ago, but going on the community that's already built around it and certainly the experiences I've had with it and my friends are having with it and all of our readers are having with it, all of that evidence is testament to the greatness of the game as a whole. If you don't look at it scientifically and if you look at it more as, I don’t know, 'Am I having a 10’s worth of entertainment out of this?' I think most people - if they like first-person shooters and if they like the series - would agree.

GamesRadar

painey said:
hmm. thats a pretty lousy review, not what I would expect of edge.

agreed - beginning a review by describing all the things the game isn't is a pretty cheap tactic, & could basically be used equally effectively on any game...

entremet

People are still confused at EDGE's scale? I'm surprised at the 7 for NSMB Wii as they tend to have a hard on for 1st party Nintendo games. Still a decent score with their scale.

GhaleonQ

See, now, I consider Brutal Legend to be exactly the sort of game that they love to tear apart. Even Edge has a crush on Schafer, it seems.

painey said:
hmm. thats a pretty lousy review, not what I would expect of edge.

Bullshit, it was a great review and it wouldn't have been lousy if the score had been one point higher.

The opening chapters do not see the game at its very best, and one particularly prolonged firefight two-thirds of the way through begins to drag towards its conclusion,

Some of the discussion that follows may focus on the puzzle content, noting that it’s hardly an evolution of the original’s simplistic equivalent. Not everyone will be fond of the game’s concluding location – or, rather, what Drake discovers there. Sandbox devotees may bemoan the linearity of the entire experience. And few will argue that the climactic confrontation is a fitting way for a game of this overall stature to bow out.

Those are SPECIFIC things noted in the review. And they are fair.

And even then, the review showers praise...

But more discussion will celebrate the characters’ interactions and the way they are depicted, drawn not with a view to photorealism as in the upcoming Heavy Rain, but with a styled hyperrealism that is wholly beguiling.

That makes Uncharted 2 the most absorbing game of 2009 to date, the sort that makes three hours of play feel like one.

Ultimately, no one will disagree that Uncharted 2 is one hell of a ride, and the best PS3
action game to date.

The only thing lousy is shitty fanboy whining.

Nuclear Muffin said:
What do they say about NSMB? (I bet they rated it down for including the Super Guide option)
Their preview was largely comparing it to SMB3's powerups, they were just disappointed with the gameplay. In light of that preview at E3, I'd say a 7 is an alright score from Edge.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Dabanton said:
So GTA:IV was made in Europe?
This just in, Scotland no longer part of Europe!

Was that part of a clever joke or did you really not know that the mainline GTA series is a DMA Design, sorry Rockstar North production, which, unless if something very drastic has happened, is still in Edinburgh.

Anyway, interesting issue. I have Borderlands on order via Steam and can't back out now, but I wonder what made them hit the game down to a 6, I guess I'll have to buy the issue to find out.

batbeg

entrement said:
People are still confused at EDGE's scale? I'm surprised at the 7 for NSMB Wii as they tend to have a hard on for 1st party Nintendo games. Still a decent score with their scale.

I don't see why people regard the scale one way or another; there's more than enough disparity between their opinion and mine to make theirs worth little more than a measurement of whether r not something is totally God awful.

But it makes the threads fun...!

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Gravijah said:
These guys should stick to making shitty games.
I'm looking forward to Mirrors. I thought it was out the other day, then realized that EA had gone and released a game called Mirrors Edge. EA are bastards.

This thread is in dire need of the Borderlands Defense Force. Go on, name every nitpicky flaw with the game you have with it. I'd love to see more than five.

painey said:
seem pretty good scores this month, but what did Uncharted 2 have to do to earn a 10? I can't think of how they could have improved it.
I love my Uncharted 2 as much as most of you guys. I mean the game looks amazing, the presentation is of the highest level... but let's be real, the gameplay could be so much better. The simply amazing presentation and graphics make it so that you can see past the just above average gameplay the game houses, but not that it matters. Uncharted 2 is like a big hollywood blockbuster that amazes you in so many ways that the flaws don't really matter, but a perfect 10 is just a bit too much.

Gravijah

ChoklitReign said:
This thread is in dire need of the Borderlands Defense Force. Go on, name every nitpicky flaw with the game you have with it. I'd love to see more than five.

1). I don't own it
2). I don't have any money at the moment
3). Borderlands? What kind of name is that?
4). The cover is pretty offensive
5). Maybe that guy on the cover is suicidal, shouldn't someone help him?
6). I really wish I owned this game

There. Some flaws.

Mr. Durden said:
I love my Uncharted 2 as much as most of you guys. I mean the game looks amazing, the presentation is of the highest level... but let's be real, the gameplay could be so much better. The simply amazing presentation and graphics make it so that you can see past the just above average gameplay the game houses, but not that it matters. Uncharted 2 is like a big hollywood blockbuster that amazes you in so many ways that the flaws don't really matter, but a perfect 10 is just a bit too much.

Bubububu, the graphics make me cum all over my own face. How can it not be a 10?!?!

painey

Vast Inspiration said:
Bullshit, it was a great review and it wouldn't have been lousy if the score had been one point higher.

Its a description, not a review. No mention of the story, new characters, voice acting. No mention of the new co-op mode, no mention of the online multiplayer which are huge aspects of the game. Far too little information for people who want to know if its worth their money.

ChoklitReign said:

I am really having an excellent time with Borderlands. I don't tend to get mad at reviews. The game is really lots of fun and IMO was well worth every penny.

painey said:
Its a description, not a review. No mention of the story, new characters, voice acting. No mention of the new co-op mode, no mention of the online multiplayer which are huge aspects of the game. Far too little information for people who want to know if its worth their money.
:lol :lol :lol
No, its was a review. What YOU wanted would be a description. They didn't spoil anything and they gave their opinions on the game. And Edge reviews don't go into specific description of each element of the game. Just look at the Forza review.

You either don't know what a good review is, or you've never read anything from Edge before.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
ChoklitReign said:

This is the last thing this thread needs.

Yes Boss!

Mr. Durden said:

Pretty much this. Best game on the PS3, easily, and contender for GOTY but that does not mean it is anywhere near perfect. My only complaint is that it might be a little too guided (more apparent in successive playthroughs). But still one of the best gaming experiences in a long while.

Visualante said:
GR: Ultimately, then, 10 can be a flawed masterpiece?

Tony: Well, if you take Halo 3 as an example - absolutely. If you looked at Halo 3 in a scientific way - which is why I say I don't like to think about it as a science - if you broke it down and said 'Is the story brilliant? Is the story flawless?' Absolutely not. The story is actually not especially good. But, if you look at it as a whole...

Obviously we reviewed Halo 3 some time ago, but going on the community that's already built around it and certainly the experiences I've had with it and my friends are having with it and all of our readers are having with it, all of that evidence is testament to the greatness of the game as a whole. If you don't look at it scientifically and if you look at it more as, I don’t know, 'Am I having a 10’s worth of entertainment out of this?' I think most people - if they like first-person shooters and if they like the series - would agree.
Halo 3 got a 10 at Edge? Seriously? That's surprising.

m.i.s.

Banned
entrement said:

This is true. But a 9 is still better than 7. :D

As others have said, we need to see the text of the review.

I, personally, would have thought that a 2d Mario bros game would work better as a game played on the single screen of a TV - as time honoured Mario sidescrollers of the past attest.

Plus this time nintendo have 480 vertical pixels to play with on the Wii version as opposed to the DS's 192. ie much more room for more detailed and intricate gameplay (in theory).

goomba

Banned
Well i looked it up, Edge gave NSMB DS an 8 out of 10.

So the Wii version gets 1 less point for multiplayer and way more levels.. interesting.

Kusagari

Gravijah said:
Is garbage some kind of new slang for "pretty good 2D Mario platformer"?

No, it's slang for a mediocre 2D Mario platformer that felt like Sega's lame attempt at capturing the magic of SMB1-3.

matmanx1

brain_stew said:
What!?

Then please stop talking before you make even more of a fool of yourself, thanks.

I dont know. Why is it foolish for me to be skeptical that any NSMB game (you know, Nintendo's flagship franchise and follow up to one of the greatest games on the DS) would be legitimately scored worse than Operation Flashpoint? (reviewed elsewhere as competent but with some flaws) And by EDGE no less. They tend to march to the beat of a slightly different drummer and seem to enjoy being slightly controversial.

You people get your panties twisted way too easily.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I can't imagine what the beef with NSMB is aside from the fact that it's "only" 2D platforming and nothing else, no value-added gimmicks or epic set pieces by the standards of modern billion dollar games.

And the Borderlands score is pure bullshit. I have expect though, the criticism to be that it's just not as exciting as Halo 3 and Call of Duty because it isn't as dynamic with all the cool set piece battles and hollywood cut scenes. Which would be entirely missing the point of the game or what genre it is. (Which is practically its own genre.)

This is why I don't like Edge's policy of faceless editorial reviews though. It's impossible that every editor and reviewer at the magazine felt the same about each title. Without being able to learn which guy has which hang-ups, we can't really tell if specific crits in a given review are honest or due to pet peeves.

Kusagari said:
NSMB DS is garbage so not surprised at the Wii versions score.

Which is why it's strange the Wii version, which seemingly improves on everything NSMB DS did, scores lower!

Anyways, enough defense forcing. I'll wait for the review excerpts

7Th

Kaijima said:
I can't imagine what the beef with NSMB is aside from the fact that it's "only" 2D platforming and nothing else, no value-added gimmicks or epic set pieces by the standards of modern billion dollar games.

Maybe it kept the sloppy plataforming and floaty controls from the DS original?

theluma

Cromulent_Word said:
I love popping open GAF at work, only to find that my studio's game scored a mothafunkin 9 from Edge.

Pardon me while i go give many high-fives

Glad to hear that, game looked awesome at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival ;)

Now if only Critter Crunch was out in the UK....

pswii60

danielijohnson said:
Holy crap. This issue was extremely harsh.
Or maybe just brutally honest and not 'going with the flow'.

Personally I don't know because I haven't played half of those games yet.

Surprised @ the 9 for GTA. I'm actually with Pachter on this - I had little interest in GTA4 because it was TOO BIG. These bite-size GTAs are far more interesting to me.

EDIT: AND DAMN THE POSTAL STRIKE FOR NOT GETTING MY COPY OF EDGE TO ME TODAY! Lazy fucks.

Top Bottom