• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't even know if it's smart to just flat out cancel the game honestly. If it's been in dev for this long, do you really want to cancel it now? Personally, I took nothing serious out of that article and I read it three times.

kadotsu

Banned
That's an incredibly vague rumor. Wouldn't the cancellation of a product of that magnitude go in hand with layoffs, devs bitching on 2ch etc.

But regardless, SE has mismanaged the PR and production of this "behemoth" of a game.

(if true) It takes a collosal, catastrophic level of incompetence to announce a game bombastically, fund six years of development, and release nothing. People have surely been fired for less.

It's hard to imagine the Eidos side of the company being allowed such freedom of idiocy.

Arnie

Nobody should be surprised by this. If you are then it's a sign of naivety.

The Final Fantasy name has been dragged through the dirt this generation, and this is just another example.

DeVeAn

michael-scott-no.gif

Always wanted to post this.

I'm feeling so indifferent on this right now. I would have been so upset about the possibility of a cancellation 2-3 years back. The same could be said for The Last Guardian.

I hope this isn't true though. I want Versus XIII to be the game that restores my faith in Square Enix. C'mon, Square Enix. Get it together.

Cartman86

Banned
Wouldn't be surprised if it was renamed to 15 and delayed for next gen consoles. Possibly launch. This is a good way to get them to talk though.

canvee

I don't even know if it's smart to just flat out cancel the game honestly. If it's been in dev for this long, do you really want to cancel it now? Personally, I took nothing serious out of that article and I read it three times.

Not to mention how it will affect the employees who've been slaving away on such a long project.

The Jason

Maybe the basic ideas of versus will become FFXV, and be a next gen title, but will undergo many changes in the process.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All while more people continue to work on the third exciting part of the exciting FFXIII Lightning Saga that everyone was clamouring for!

Rumours most likely bullshit, but Square seems pretty much dead to me right now? No Type-0 western release, Kingdom Hearts has perhaps gone TOO wacky for me to even stand, and... well they havent got anything else it seems. Bravely Default I guess, maybe? What a fall from grace.

This really pisses me off, but honestly I think a lot of us saw this coming even though we had hope it would someday release. It makes sense that some of its assets would be put into FFXV. What pisses me off even more is the fact that they say they want to "cancel it silently." Which means we'll be left hanging for who knows how long, and if well ever get an official statement.

On a side note we've known FFXV was in development for a long time. I used to know a friend who helped SquareEnix do translation proof reading or whatever you want to call it on there game scripts. She told me about 3-4 years ago she helped with the FFXV script(hard for me to remember exactly when I was told this because it was so long ago). No bs, have no reason to make up some trivial piece of info like this. Wouldn't say anything else about it, other then it existed.

orioto

Good Art™
If true that's terribly symbolic of the end of an era that has been this gen for Square, without saying japanese rpgs, or even big japanese AAA games.

Yeah, this isn't true.

I'd almost say this was a ploy by Ashcraft to get Square to comment on the status of the game. But since they won't (probably because of a re-reveal with a name change), something like this would force their hand.

Gintamen

They would instantly rebuild FFXIV, but cancel VsXIII? You don't just cancel the most awaited SE game in a decade.

Kotaku rumor. I'm inclined to say BS.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This really pisses me off, but honestly I think a lot of us saw this coming even though we had hope it would someday release. It makes sense that some of its assets would be put into FFXV. What pisses me off even more is the fact that they say they want to "cancel it silently." Which means we'll be left hanging for who knows how long, and if well ever get an official statement.

On a side note we've known FFXV was in development for a long time. I used to know a friend who helped SquareEnix do translation proof reading or whatever you want to call it on there game scripts. She told me about 3-4 years ago she helped with the FFXV script(hard for me to remember exactly because it was so long ago). No bs, have no reason to make up some trivial piece of info like this. Wouldn't say anything else about it, other then it existed.

Did you even bother to read the article and read what others have posted so far, to be more specific Kagari. Just wondering.

Yeah, this isn't true.

I'd almost say this was a ploy to get Square to comment on the status of the game.

Ding Ding! And we have a winner! At least in my eyes.

Though if the rumors were true, there are some interesting points in that article.

shink

So basically this rumor can't be confirmed, and can only be proven as false if the game is released.

If it is true I'll be disappointed, it had so much potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom