• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the take-home message is that we are still onboard for a ~ 7GB GDDR5 Last of Us 2 on the PS4.

All that matters for my purchase of this here console machine.

It is unrealistic to think that a full 7gb is available for games. Where did that come from in the first place?

The situation is probably correct, but the numbers may not be.

Corto

DF has gotten the specific numbers of things wrong before. Wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

Maybe their numbers are not incorrect though. Maybe they are "correct" for a specific devkit scenario that will change on future devkits or even on the retail sku. That will be their argument if the final scenario contradicts their article.

bud

This whole story is so much confusing.

At first DF releases this article, then they are updating it and saying those nombers were slightly wrong and then some insiders say those numbers are true, then Sony clearifies how the Ram flex thing between OS and game works and then insiders say those numbers are wrong.

What's next?

ps4 has no ram.

Violater

Reading this thread
photo.jpg
KuGsj.gif

DC1

To be fair, there are a number of circumstances that make the "devs are okay with this" statement complex. Devs are under NDA about these details, meaning if they were unhappy (or at least a bit dubious), I doubt they would be eager to share these concerns with the public.

The other point is that having a large RAM allocation isn't just for what devs can think of at this very moment, but what they may think of 5 years from now. How people think about designing games is dictated in part by their assumptions about what the hardware can do. Right now, there is a generational shift, and new resources are available. There is less a feeling of constraint, I'm guessing. That may be different in the future.
Not exactly.
Devs may not be able to share specific numbers, however they can share opinion slight of hand.
It has happen to often in regards to the XBox One's reveal and subsequent reversal.

I really still don't understand the dilemma. MS using 3GB for their OS and so is Sony. They both end up with 5 GB of RAM for games. If you're going to fault sony for having to reserve so much for their OS the same can be said for MS. Maybe the reality is that the OS for whatever reason is going to require more dedication than we anticipated.

thuway

To be fair, there are a number of circumstances that make the "devs are okay with this" statement complex. Devs are under NDA about these details, meaning if they were unhappy (or at least a bit dubious), I doubt they would be eager to share these concerns with the public.

The other point is that having a large RAM allocation isn't just for what devs can think of at this very moment, but what they may think of 5 years from now. How people think about designing games is dictated in part by their assumptions about what the hardware can do. Right now, there is a generational shift, and new resources are available. There is less a feeling of constraint, I'm guessing. That may be different in the future.

As this generation wears on there are a multitude of changes that will be sure to surface in order to enhance game design and ambition.

1. Decreasing OS bloat. The OS is incomplete and many things are being rewritten, tested, scrapped, and created all at once. Until a working model is finished with a set goal, there will be allocation of external space just to accomodate.

2. Potentially upclocking the GPU on both XB1 / PS4- If Sony upclocks the GPU 200mhz you end up with a 2.43 TF console. Towards the end of the PSP's lifecycle Sony performed this update, and I would venture a potential upclock of PS4 wouldn't be out of the question in the fourth years of the machine's life cycle.

3. GPGPU programming and metal coding. We will see some beautiful things coming up in the next few years. We have yet to scratch the surface.

A console that was suppose to have 4GB TOTAL memory all of a sudden has 3.5gb tied to OS "features"?

That don't sound right at all.

I really still don't understand the dilemma. MS using 3GB for their OS and so is Sony. They both end up with 5 GB of RAM for games. If you're going to fault sony for having to reserve so much for their OS the same can be said for MS. Maybe the reality is that the OS for whatever reason is going to require more dedication than we anticipated.

Isn't Microsoft running 3x OS?

3GB RAM regardless of what the OS is doing (for a console OS) seems like a ridiculous amount of bloat.

bud

It is unrealistic to think that a full 7gb is available for games. Where did that come from in the first place?

The PlayStation 4 will ship with a massive 8 GB of GDDR5 memory, which is a huge upgrade compared to the current generation consoles. However, according to a PlayStation 4 developer PS4Daily spoke to, they have access to “only” 7 GB of RAM. The remaining 1 GB is reserved for the operating system and background tasks.

http://ps4daily.com/2013/04/playstation-4-developers-7-gb-ram/

this is from april.

Barzul

Whether the article is accurate or not, Sony should have responded to this faster and with actual figures. The average gamer isn't going to care about the differences between DDR5 and DDR3, they'll just see the numbers that have been posted on big gaming sites and 5 > 4.5. These people might then start informing other less informed gamer friends that there is no power difference, or even that the Xbox One is more powerful. I don't however think this will have a major impact.

androvsky

While speculating can be both useless and useful, it is what it is. One thing I'd point out is that there are many folks who keep citing cross-game chat as an example. Lest we forget, MS did that with an OS that was 32MB in size. Also, as aforementioned, what makes others and myself even more curious about the size being what is it is despite not having either kinect 2 or cable tv related functionalities.

So yea, time is the only thing that separates us from greater knowledge about the hardware and that leaves us to speculate.

If you look at something more recent and concrete, like the sudden indie program MS has, we can make better guesses. The general assumption was that MS was using their Windows 8 partition in the Xbox One to run those indie games, and although MS is saying that won't be the case, it's not a bad idea from a technical and security perspective.

If Sony wants to do something similar, where anyone can run their own code on the PS4, they can consider something like having the Android libraries running in memory with the memory and CPU that's rumored to be reserved. The controller already has a touch screen that seems to be designed to work with touch-screen enabled apps.

I think that's the kind of thing we're talking about with the memory reservation. Not a single feature so much as an entire separate app (and/or game) ecosystem. Doesn't have to be Android; could be Playstation Mobile (likely, except the SDK is useless for apps), could be OtherOS again, but running in a VM with a Sony-supplied BSD kernel, or something completely different. Or maybe none of those. But the point is they're reserved enough space so they could.

Vestal

Gold Member
I think they need to say why some memory is flex. Its extremely suspicious.

not saying its bad, but for someone like me who codes and its a hardware software nut, it rings some alarm bells.

Yes, we talked privately already. Take from that what you will.

So he's legit and DF numbers are bullshit. Can we discuss Sony's comment instead of fake numbers please?

edit: WHAT IF... DF fabricated Sony's comment?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So what is the whole story now? This thread is so big already.

PS4 has a big pool of memory for games, a flexible pool of memory that is for games is the OS controls, and that DF numbers are seemingly wrong, possibly, or something else. Almost nothing has been confirmed by any official source.

DBT85

Whether the article is accurate or not, Sony should have responded to this faster and with actual figures. The average gamer isn't going to care about the differences between DDR5 and DDR3, they'll just see the numbers that have been posted on big gaming sites and 5 > 4.5. These people might then start informing other less informed gamer friends that there is no power difference, or even that the Xbox One is more powerful. I don't however think this will have a major impact.

The average gamer is never going to hear or care about the ram available to developers.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
This seems like a bad argument when talking about anything other than tech demos. It assumes that the only things in memory will be seen by the in-game virtual camera, so that if you turn your view to look at an object with textures or geometry that wasn't in the original view, you'll have to stream in from the hard drive. I'm pretty sure that even the most aggressive streaming engines save some memory for off-camera content (and little things like audio), at least at a low level of detail so there's something to show while the hard drive catches up. In short, games need memory beyond what's on screen.

On the other hand, that argument also implies the GPU is doing nothing but texturing for the entire frame, since shaders aren't as bandwidth dependent. But if the GPU is just texturing objects for the entire time the frame is being rendered, that doesn't leave any time to apply shaders after the GPU is done; since many shaders depend on a textured object for color data, those shaders can't run before the object is rendered. So I doubt any modern game would be able all of that memory per frame anyway.

Agree.

Trying to quantify the 32mb esram and powerful audio hardware of Xbox One is going to be more difficult than looking at some bandwith numbers.

basically they dont seem to have committed to anything yet.

What DF is reported could be from a dev kit but the numbers should be the minimum to expect it could increase when Sony/Cerny tells us the RAM numbers if they intend to do that.

Its sad that this is the simplest explanation for their "source" dev kits that we've known of for ages already.

RoyalFool

Banned
Really not understanding all the fuss about this, it makes complete sense to do it this way.

People moaned about the lack of cross-game talking on PS3 which was a direct result of them not having allocated enough memory to the OS. The problem with memory allocation is once you've allocated a set amount for the games you can never "reduce" that amount else older games will simply not work anymore.

What they've done is played it smart and set the initial OS usage to something much higher than it needs to be - but that gives them a lot of leg room moving forward.

Who knows what features we'll expect "as standard" in the future - maybe something like Vine will take off, maybe Twitch will take off, having this leg room means they can add a bunch of new features into the OS without breaking game support.

Worse case scenario is that they find they don't actually have any good use for all this OS ram a few years down the line, and bam - they give 2GB extra back to developers which means 2nd/3rd/4th gen games suddenly have more ram to play with.

For a console that is so easy to develop for, being able to "give something back" further down the line is pretty important, as people will be maximizing the graphics capabilities on this machine much quicker than the PS3 with it's funky alien cell architecture - so they not only insure they can incorporate whatever features the future might hold, but also have an extra resource to free up if the games ever start to stagnant graphically.

And 5GB of super fast ram is still a fuck-ton for a dedicated games console.

Sony wants to future proof the ps4, which includes it's non-gaming features. If Microsoft gains traction with apps/os functions that need a big chunk of memory. What would happen if Sony gave away too much memory to games?

Sony said it wasn't able to provide in game cross game chat because of the way the PS3's Total ram is allocated to each function. IT's still a lot of fast memory and devs like the PS4 just as much as they did before.

MoneyHats

Banned
Or we can just leave it at GDDR5>DDR3+eSRAM. Boom! We're done here.

Lol true, but that wasn't my point with him, he said he purposely left out the move engines and ESRAM because lol they don't mean much, yet he knows no figures of the true impact.

What's important is that both solutions provide enough bandwidth to the CPU/GPU tasks, more bandwidth than needed just equals extra bandwidth and does nothing to help, the only concern is a bottleneck when it comes to bandwidth, therefore if both are fed properly which I'm sure the engineers know what they're doing, the real difference comes from the GPU, PS4's GPU is doing more and especially ROPs are bandwidth hogs so it comes with the territory, the PS4 needs more bandwidth and I'm glad Sony is delivering, on the memory side though its a silly debate.

nib95

Banned
I think they need to say why some memory is flex. Its extremely suspicious.

not saying its bad, but for someone like me who codes and its a hardware software nut, it rings some alarm bells.

My guess is its quicker or more efficient than the normal fall backs to when physical memory runs out or is at maximum capacity.

I'm no expert but if I had my way I think 6 gigs is the most optimal. This leaves 2 gigs to go nuts with services and future proof it while still leaving enough RAM for the Naughty Dogs to do their thang. 5 is too low Sony. 7 is great but might be treading in overkill territory.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's our choice to mindlessly speculate when there isn't much official info out on the matter.

Frankly I don't see why people do it. It's not like any of this is going to matter in the long run, both consoles will be about the same to me. It's just a matter of different exclusives.

Because speculating is fun. People do it when it comes to movies, sports (ie draft time), NASA, etc.

I believe it came from the assumption that back when it was 4GB that 512MB was for the OS, and since they doubled the RAM, that the OS would then double to 1GB as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom