• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F'DUPTON 3: Back in the Tub with 5.0/5.5/6/7/several Inches of RAM-Flavoured Water

Status
Not open for further replies.
But the Esram only constitutes a paltry 32mb lol. I left it out on purpose, as I'm only talking about the 8GB of ram, the real crux of the memory allocation.

Why put it in there if it's not worth considering? Surely it has some impact or they wouldn't have bothered.

If you're knowledgeable enough to talk specs, you should be able to explain the impact(s).

DBT85

Let me restate once more since no one cares to dispute it, how are devs ok with this but some Gaffers not? What would you like devs to use the space they don't quite know what to do with yet? Ragdoll physics on nose hairs? Real time fart particle simulation? That last bit is about as ridiculous as this issue being made into something.

Are you saying the PS4 DOESN'T have real time fart particle simulation?

FFS.

I'm going to stick to playing the Microwave game.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
To be fair, devs are rarely unhappy about the specs of new systems before they launch. Then it's all glowing praise for new power and new possibilities. It's in the year before the new systems launch that they start lamenting the slow beasts they've been saddled with for the past X years and the limits they impose on what they'd like to make...and how they're excited about those new machines to come.

It's the cycle, indeed. I do think devs are really happy about these platforms because the parts work well together. At least we know this much about PS4 with Cerny talking about many technical things. That's been refreshing.

I think devs are very happy but know the limitations. The good thing is the ceiling has gone up and ultimately PC should benefit as well.

ironcreed

Banned
DF is in full meltdown mode. Sad to see it happening in real time.

Oh noez! The PS4 still has 8GB of GDDR5 RAM and more than enough left for gaming! Time to boycott and start petitions!

indiana-jones-face-melt-o.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Are you saying the PS4 DOESN'T have real time fart particle simulation?

FFS.

I'm going to stick to playing the Microwave game.

If we can't see a mans pants warping as one rips ass then I see this as a huge oversight. We need that havoc powered flatulence and speedtree powered pube tech!

176GB / 30 fps = 5.86 GB per frame.
Can anyone describe how devrlopers could have utilized more ram if available? Specially this early in console cycle.

Again, you don't need to constantly load 176GB/sec. of data every single frame. Thus, the more RAM you have, the more data you can cache on it.

MoneyHats

Banned
Doesn't matter. Those things help to alleviate the bandwidth issues from DDR3, not get rid of them altogether. It does not work how you think it does. Move Engines and Esram can help fill in some of the gaps, but the main bulk of the ram, the 8gb of ddr3 is always going to be limited by its bandwidth, and none of the other elements will change that. You will not be able to get more ram out of the ddr3 than my figures above state. That's based on the absolute max memory bandwidth figure for the ram.

Lets just leave it at you have no figure how much impact the move engines and Esram will have for the entire pipeline, so unless you have an accurate number, its not fair to apply math and purposely leave out elements that in your opinion do not matter when in fact they do.

salromano

Yes, we talked privately already. Take from that what you will.

Interesting.

I'm curious, as I've been, to how reliable Digital Foundry's sources are. Certainly they have a great deal of trust in their sources running the article as fact, but those sources in which they trusted, be them separate from today's "new source," told them different yesterday. Who's to say the new one is right today?

Then there's some conflicting information from at least one inside source "from a dev at one of the biggest in the industry" yesterday, which, besides one different element, agreed with the initial story that 4.5 gigabytes are guaranteed, 1 gigabyte is developer reserve, the OS uses 1.5 gigabytes, and that another gigabyte is OS reserve.

And of course, then there's folks like Filopilo (1, 2, 3) claiming the initial story was "all wrong." Or Verendus also saying it was wrong.

Anyhow, I wonder why Sony won't come out with specific numbers, but will clarify the differences between types of memory systems. While I certainly don't see the story as negative, there are clearly a number of people that do. People who are acting like it's confirmed, regardless of if it's rumor. So if those numbers from the Digital Foundry are accurate, might as well come out and say it. And if not, might as well calm the storm a bit with the correct numbers.

Happy Saturday, everyone! =)

What if there aren't fixed numbers yet? Maybe Sony doesn't want to commit to an specific ratio right now because it's not yet set in stone.

This might be an accurate answer.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So what then is taking up all the memory? Obviously some is being partitioned for future use.

I imagine it will be the same as the Vita, so like a PC, there will be a base OS cost, but also space that is free to apps to run while you are gaming too. The Vita for instance lets you run a browser and some other bits and bobs while gaming, the PS4 will have to do this too but much more fully featured programs. Though that isn't going to take up 3gb of space unless, I dunno, they want to run Home at the same time too, lol.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Lets just leave it at you have no figure how much impact the move engines and Esram will have for the entire pipeline, so unless you have an accurate number, its not fair to apply math and purposely leave out elements that in your opinion do not matter when in fact they do.

Or we can just leave it at GDDR5>DDR3+eSRAM. Boom! We're done here.

jayu26

bronzeP

Banned
This whole story is so much confusing.

At first DF releases this article, then they are updating it and saying those nombers were slightly wrong and then some insiders say those numbers are true, then Sony clearifies how the Ram flex thing between OS and game works and then insiders say those numbers are wrong.

What's next?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So as Bish has verified filopilo's authenticity, can we assume that DF are wrong on the numbers now?

No, we can assume that there is conflicting reports though.

I don't doubt Eurogamer have THAT documentation. I don't doubt that they're talking to developers with that documentation.

That doesn't mean that either filopilo or EG is wrong. It's more a question of who's information is more recent.

Corto

Interesting.

I'm curious, as I've been, to how reliable Digital Foundry's sources are. Certainly they have a great deal of trust in their sources running the article as fact, but those sources in which they trusted, be them separate from today's "new source," told them different yesterday. Who's to say the new one is right today?

Then there's some conflicting information from at least one inside source "from a dev at one of the biggest in the industry" yesterday, which, besides one different element, agreed with the initial story that 4.5 gigabytes are guaranteed, 1 gigabyte is developer reserve, the OS uses 1.5 gigabytes, and that another gigabyte is OS reserve.

And of course, then there's folks like Filopilo (1, 2, 3) claiming the initial story was "all wrong." Or Verendus also saying it was wrong.

Anyhow, I wonder why Sony won't come out with specific numbers, but will clarify the differences between types of memory systems. While I certainly don't see the story as negative, there are clearly a number of people that do. People who are acting like it's confirmed, regardless of if it's rumor. So if those numbers from the Digital Foundry are accurate, might as well come out and say it. And if not, might as well calm the storm a bit with the correct numbers.

Happy Saturday, everyone! =)

What if there aren't fixed numbers yet? Maybe Sony doesn't want to commit to an specific ratio right now because it's not yet set in stone.

VanWinkle

I'm so confused now.

What I would like is 2GB for the OS, 5GB immediately useable for games, and 1GB of this "flex-memory". I think that would be nice.

It's a shame digital foundry is really the only thing of its type on the big gaming websites given their analysis is often vague and simple in regards to the technology used in games or flat out incorrect at times.

This whole thing is a giant mess though, so confused as to what is going on.

Valnen

Yea they are not going to confirm or deny the numbers because that could still change.

Chances are flex memory is right, but the numbers are wrong. The numbers might be old info or may never have been true at all, judging from our new insider.

thumb

Banned
Let me restate once more since no one cares to dispute it, how are devs ok with this but some Gaffers not? What would you like devs to use the space they don't quite know what to do with yet? Ragdoll physics on nose hairs? Real time fart particle simulation? That last bit is about as ridiculous as this issue being made into something.

To be fair, there are a number of circumstances that make the "devs are okay with this" statement complex. Devs are under NDA about these details, meaning if they were unhappy (or at least a bit dubious), I doubt they would be eager to share these concerns with the public.

The other point is that having a large RAM allocation isn't just for what devs can think of at this very moment, but what they may think of 5 years from now. How people think about designing games is dictated in part by their assumptions about what the hardware can do. Right now, there is a generational shift, and new resources are available. There is less a feeling of constraint, I'm guessing. That may be different in the future.

nib95

Banned

You can't put a number on it. It's physically impossible to calculate unlike the figures I gave you which are simple math. But Esram or move Engines, or ColorBlocks or DMEs or jpeg compression units etc etc are not the secret sauce you guys imply. They are all solutions to help out with a problem (the lack of ddr3 bandwidth). They are not in themselves advantageous and would likely never exist if the bandwidth issue did not either.

Dennis

Banned
So the take-home message is that we are still onboard for a ~ 7GB GDDR5 Last of Us 2 on the PS4.

All that matters for my purchase of this here console machine.

DF has gotten the specific numbers of things wrong before. Wouldn't be surprised if they did it again.

My screenshots are better than their screenshots, their arguments are invalid.

Hystzen

basically they dont seem to have committed to anything yet.

What DF is reported could be from a dev kit but the numbers should be the minimum to expect it could increase when Sony/Cerny tells us the RAM numbers if they intend to do that.

So do Devs as several have already commented outside of this thread.

I hate it when people do this. Share some details (you don't have to name names) or don't say anything at all.

Simply sharing that you "know something" without saying anything more when you have a captive audience is incredibly annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom